• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last game that was anticipated as much as Starfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Please explain to me how sharing anticipation about a game release is "childish online console warring".
I think because people keep spamming thread about Starfield and starting to get really annoying. Just create one hype thread for the game and all theses discussions in one thread.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
You're living in a bubble, there's no hype. Only hardcore video game players are aware. You're acting like this is being discussed front page of WSJ. You're seeing it because this is what you're being fed by the things you search and follow.

There's actually very little hype, considering the size and scope of the game.

TOTK was much, much bigger.

Hudo

Dunno but my own feeling is that Skyrim had much more hype surrounding its release than Starfield currently has.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What's with these threads... like we all wanna play the game... just play it, stop with these childish online console warrior threads
It never ceases to amaze me that people can't just ignore the threads they don't want to see and instead try to moderate discussion through complaining that someone wants to talk about something they don't want to talk about. Just use that handy ignore link that the forum provides for every thread and the ones you don't like disappear.

On topic, I think Zelda TOTK was as highly anticipated as Starfield. Probably more. No doubt there's a lot of excitement about Starfield but as a new IP I think a lot of people are being cautiously reserved.

Pelta88

They haven't dropped a single tv add for it here in Europe and the preorder charts reflect that. Beyond the hardcore XBOX bubble, here in Europe it is not a thing. On Amazon Standard edition ranges from 60-outside the top 100.

Crucially, I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game. My review prediction is 80-90. That aside, I do believe XBOX missed a gargantuan opportunity to bring people outside the XBOX bubble into the fold by refusing to market/advertise Starfield.

Last edited:
On gaming forums, you probably have to look at Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU 2 as the most recent super hyped games. If you widen your view a little I think both Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom and Hogwarts had a lot of hype heading in though, and they both lived up to it. It could be argued for Elden Ring, but I think that hype hit more after the game came out. Rockstar games usually have max hype as well.

Ozriel

M$FT
FF16? ToTK? GoWR? Mario 2023? Im not anticipating Starfield, but I did those games.

Ragnarok and TOTK are pretty much the only ones on this list that qualify.
I’m not sure I’ve seen anything approach the hype for Ragnarok in a long time. Spiderman 2 hype will also go through the roof as launch approaches.

FF16? Not even close.

Bond007

Cyberpunk
Perhaps Zelda
Maybe Hogwarts

On the forums anyway.
I have two teenage sons who are gamers- zero interest in the game and know barely anything about it. My adult gamer friends have no idea. Im the only one excited about it within my bubble. Sure- just me, but i just dont see it atm.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Nope, @StueyDuck is actually right.

This whole "hype" feels... incredibly manufactured friend, we can argue all we want about the opposite but...

Mind you, I'm not excluding exclusives from other platforms, like, say, like GOW Ragnarok etc, hype is hype and the targeted demographic will - obviously - be interested and anticipating said title, having said that...I just can't shake the feeling that the "hype " around Starfield is A) manufactured, B) due to a real thirst for a AAA "exclusive" especially after the 3 year MS no-show shitshow and C) both.

Bethesda RPGs, are a known quantity and many of their titles have been (almost) cultural phenomenons (especially Skyrim), to laud this game though - or any other game for that matter - as the 2nd coming of Christ is just pure, unadulterated hyperbole - especially after FO4 and FO76.

Regarding now the "console warring mentality" that you mentioned...people need to stop seeing ghosts or "enemies" all the time, the constant persecution complex and the fact that many users in here can't see eye to eye due to their liege towards their plastic fucking box of choice has gotten long in the tooth, people ARE allowed to both disagree with another's opinion and express their thoughts/opinions without the other party getting their knickers in a twist.

Cheers

People have kept Starfield at the top of Steam global wishlists for months now, and it’s been in the top 10 best selling Steam games since June, and is currently topping Steam global bestseller lists ahead of release.

These certainly make your comments about the hype being ‘manufactured’ and due to being ‘starved of games’ seem rather inane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom