• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

Airbus Jr

Banned
It's too late. They needed those franchises last gen or early gen. Now that the cod userbase will be leaving in droves, by the time those games come out in 2024-2025, it wouldve been just like when they released Socom, Resistance 2, KZ2 and MAG to a userbase full of fans of single player games. Cult classics but not even close to replacing cod.

Jimbo gets a lot of flack here but it was Shawn Layden who refused to invest in online shooters in the PS4 era. I kept begging them to do online shooters after Titanfall and Destiny completely change the MP FPS genre early in the gen, but he said he doesnt want to compete with his partners like Activision. Well, that is looking pretty fucking dumb right about now, isnt it?

He did not invest in WRPGs nor in online shooters. Or in FPS in general. Now MS has Halo, Overwatch, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, and CoD.
Lets give some chance to grow ok

No need for the doom and gloom coment

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Sony is fine. I've said it months ago: all these aquisitions by Microsoft are a hail mary move; they were loosing against Sony every generation, and after the immense success of the PS4, they just new that there was only one chance of survial for the Xbox brand - massive aqusitions! They knew that without an appealing lineup of first party franchises, they would be done, so they said, ah fuck it, let's just buy ourselves some first party titles.

However, if that doesn't pan out (maybe AAA gaming will further decline, because it's always the same shit with a different coat of paint), then Xbox is truly done.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
wKBacbY.jpg

ByWatterson

As I said in my other thread, this was the final thing to get me to pick up a Series X. Gamepass is already too good of a deal to pass up, and this just seals where the future is.

I'm going to turn into the player who loves his PS5 for exclusives, and Xbox for Gamepass.

After thinking about it, I think Playstation has two options, and both are wild:

1. A merger with Nintendo (insane).
2. Allow Gamepass on Playstation (also pretty insane).

John Wick

What bomb could have possibly negated the impact of Activision going to MS? Curious to get a concrete example...
If you read what I written again it was Bethesda. He should of reacted then. If Sony had bought say for example Square Enix and maybe From Software?
So when MS announced AB acquisition Sony would have been far more comfortable if they owned SE. They could then try getting Capcom and maybe say Embracer Group as an example.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony is fine. I've said it months ago: all these aquisitions by Microsoft are a hail mary move; they were loosing against Sony every generation, and after the immense success of the PS4, they just new that there was only one chance of survial for the Xbox brand - massive aqusitions! They knew that without an appealing lineup of first party franchises, they would be done, so they said, ah fuck it, let's just buy ourselves some first party titles.

However, if that doesn't pan out (maybe AAA gaming will further decline, because it's always the same shit with a different coat of paint), then Xbox is truly done.

this hasn’t been a console war for Microsoft since they launched gamepass x cloud and their pc initiative. Microsoft has been laying the groundwork for services, it’s what they do. They make more money from office 365 than they ever have.

these kinds of moves don’t happen over night and Microsoft will be working on a 15 to 20 year plan. They are on a massive up tick after the abysmal Xbox one debacle, to think they are failing becuase they aren’t selling more console units than Sony is so short sighted. Why do you think Sony are releasing games on PC? Even with 100 million sales of consoles they need to make more money than what they can achieve on console alone as they need to find growth metrics and opportunities to appease their share holders.

try and think bigger than just plastic boxes under your tv, we are in A Different world now and entertainment is consumed completely differently than 5 years ago.

MOTM

Banned
If what they want is to have a bunch of GAAS games cannibalizing and competing with each other… I really fail to see the diversity in current MS. The vast majority of their games are first person GAAS games. Not my cup of tea.

If you think person person games = diversity, I have bad news for you…

Yes Bethesda who only make first person games and invented the micro transaction model and turned single player Fallout into a GAAS is so diverse from the rest
Guys it’s gonna be alright, Gamepass is only 10 bucks per month.

MS have the FPS, WRPG, Racing, RTS and MMO genres on lock. Xbox is where the diversity is not PS.

No amount of denial or crying will change that.

Airbus Jr

Banned

MS have the FPS, WRPG, Racing, RTS and MMO genres on lock. Xbox is where the diversity is not PS.

Haha and you achieve all that by taking over games that suppose to be available on other platform

You rejoice over other peoples suffering by taking over game that suppose to be widely available elsewhere and then being proud with that action

What a joke

Last edited:

Zathalus

I think the answer is obvious, Sony needs to invest more in blockbuster multiplayer franchises as that is the one facet they are lacking in an otherwise stellar first party lineup. That being said, even if future COD releases and other Activision titles skip Playstation, I still believe that Playstation itself will be highly competitive, if not to the extent that the PS4 dominated the Xbox One.

Topher

Gold Member
I think the answer is obvious, Sony needs to invest more in blockbuster multiplayer franchises as that is the one facet they are lacking in an otherwise stellar first party lineup. That being said, even if future COD releases and other Activision titles skip Playstation, I still believe that Playstation itself will be highly competitive, if not to the extent that the PS4 dominated the Xbox One.

Xbox One is a light year in the rearview mirror at this point. MS turned that page in a big damn way. I think Xbox wins this generation in the US much like 360 did, but PlayStation is still a force worldwide. This one could be close.

Valonquar

Even with all these purchases MS still is in the #3 spot. Every time there's hullabaloo over an MS aquisition I'm just glad Tencent didn't buy whatever it was.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Xbox One is a light year in the rearview mirror at this point. MS turned that page in a big damn way. I think Xbox wins this generation in the US much like 360 did, but PlayStation is still a force worldwide. This one could be close.
Sony doesn't need to win persay. They'll still make a lot of money and have a large and loyal fanbase.

Microsoft's moves won't really start taking a toll until later in the generation.

Yoboman

What MMO are you playing on Xbox?

Why is everyone so doom and gloom because COD could be gone? lol fuck COD. I haven't bought one or played it in like 8 years. I do like Halo and Gears, so i bought a Series X for those at launch.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

In about 10 years, streaming of games might be the norm. Watching content is already the norm for a good while now, streaming games is getting better and better. Right now Xcloud is solid, I use it from time to time and it largely feels the same as offline play. This is the only way to bring gaming to everyone, right now I can see a 500 bucks piece of tech is a roadblock for some households. Sure the consumers bought like 150 million systems last gen, but there are still many more people playing games than that. Via their tablet, notebook or phone they already own. I can use Stadia on my TV without the need of anything (insert a controller to the TV, and launch via phone app). But Stadia sucks ass. Gamepass Xcloud however is really good and I can see some people already opting not to purchase a console.

What I foresee is a repeat of online gaming, with Xbox delivering a decent service and Sony responding too late and playing catch up. MS right now lays the groundwork for the likely future of entertainment while Sony is still doing the same thing they did 10 years ago. So if that time happens when streaming becomes bigger than buying dedicated hardware, MS has a headstart and everything in place.

Sony sells more consoles right now, but how relevant will that exactly be by then? Its becoming about accessibility. Besides, software has always been the money maker. You want that to be on as many devices as possible. Sony is still in experimental phase by putting their older blockbusters on Steam to see where it goes.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I honestly could see Insomniac making a FPS/TPS with all kinds of elements. PUB G, mechs like Titan Fall, creative aspects from Fort Nite, Destiny elements. Basically, tons of modes for everyone.
I actually think Firewalk Studios are doing this.

"Founded in 2018, Firewalk Studios is led by Tony Hsu (Studio Head, previously GM and SVP of Destiny at Activision), Ryan Ellis (Game Director, previously Creative Director at Bungie) and Elena Siegman (Executive Producer, previously at Harmonix, Irrational Games, and Bungie). The team includes a deep roster of highly talented developers who have helped deliver top-selling, culturally impactful titles, including the Destiny franchise, where all three leads worked successfully together on both development and publishing, as well as Call of Duty, Apex Legends, Mass Effect, and Halo. This collected expertise allows this team to focus on delivering a rich multiplayer game experience rooted in great core gameplay and inspired art. Firewalk continues to recruit top talent for its team, which is built on collaboration, inclusion, and respect."

MOTM

Banned
This kind of bait should just be bannable like "Playstation makes movie games".

Lets see

Gears tps
Halo fps
Fable rpg
Avowed rpg
Forza racing
Starfield rpg(?)
Hell Blade 2 tp action

Thats just naming a few. Continue with your meltdown. Sony burned themselves by just relying on third party mp games.
I didn't even bother with a list because he's in hardcore flat earther denial mode atm :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think the situation is obvious hold the line!

Double down on there first party output especially single player story driven games.then look to expand into other genres.

It's important to put things into perspective there still the market leader and generating boatloads of cash . Compare that to the ps3 era where they were dead last and wiped out all there profits from the ps1 and ps2 era. I still need to spam F1 to get a ps5 where as I can get a series S any time I want. At this stage they still have time on there side and we're not gonna see the ramifications of these buyouts for at least another 3 to 5 years.

There story driven games are most important. Publishers completely underestimated these at the start of last generation yet Sony will likely have 6 to 7 ten million sellers and 3 to 4 twenty plus million sellers when all is said and done nobody was predicating that in 2013. They should can continue to grow there current big boys while adding in new ips. If they can get similar first party sales to Nintendo ( or dare I say exceed them ) they will always have these to fall back even if Microsoft where to become the market leader.

There story games really are there backbone they sell well, have loyal fanbase's (high completion rate's) and don't cannibalize each other. The market for them is still huge and growing I truly believe Cyberpunk would have been bigger than red dead 2 if it didn't shit the bed on launch.

I'am still completely unconvinced that game pass is gonna do much. 25 million users after how long now? Meh what's that compared Fortnite user-base or even World of Warcraft or FF14s? How's it good a deal for casuals that just play one game all year? Especially when free to play is involved.

Personally as long as Sony can continue it first party output and Microsoft keeps there grubby hands off the 3rd party Japense devs I am not too fussed.

Top Bottom