• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which recent actions RPG is best Diablo, FF16 or TOTK?

Which is best?

• Diablo 4

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • FF 16

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • shut up fat man

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's only between Diablo and TOTK.

It's a hard decision but I'm going with Diablo because so far I've played that more and I know I'll still be playing it 5-10 years from now.

Not counting TOTK, so Diablo would be my vote.

Neither Blizzard's or SE's game is great tho, maybe in a few years? But right now they aren't a must buy

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Is Tears of the Kingdom even an RPG? I've always considered the Zelda games to be more like story-driven action/platform games than RPGs personally.

They are all rpgs with leveling

The key elements of an RPG are as follows:
  • Story and setting.
  • Exploration and quests.
  • Items and inventory.
  • Character actions and abilities.
  • Experience and levels.
  • Combat.
  • Interface and graphics.

Markio128

This poll seems relevant only to those who own all three games, and have completed them. Considering they are all relatively new, this poll is weeks/months too early.
Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Hudo

I wouldn't call TotK an action RPG, I'd still see it as an action adventure. Diablo 4 might be an action RPG but it's hardly the best, even in its own franchise. And FF16 is weird (but in a good way).

• Story and setting.
  • Items and inventory.
  • Experience and levels.
  • Combat.
To me an RPG is a game where you can role play (crazy, I know).

Zelda does have some RPG elements but I wouldn't call it a full on RPG. You can ignore/skip content in Zelda, you can choose what Link wears (which affect stats), upgrade health/stamina, but other than that all you can really do is choose how Link uses abilities/weapons.

It's not an RPG like say Diablo where you can pick a class or create builds. Diablo isn't even really a proper RPG either.

An RPG to me are games where you have a lot of control over the stats, look, appearance, build of your character and can choose what path/skills your character focuses on and make decisions that affect the game. It's a game where you're given a "blank slate" or a basic template and can mold that character into what you want them to be. Games like The Witcher/Cyberpunk are closer to a proper RPG but still heavily action/adventure. Maybe some MMOs like WoW/FFXIV/ESO etc where you can pick a class/job. The Divinity/Pillars/Baldurs games are good RPGs and what i'd call "true RPGs".

Last edited:

Sentenza

Is Tears of the Kingdom even an RPG? I've always considered the Zelda games to be more like story-driven action/platform games than RPGs personally.
It’s an action adventure. That’s the term that always described all Zelda games and a lot of Zelda-like (Darksiders etc).

Diablo isn’t an action RPG either. It’s a hack’s slash. The entire gameplay loop is clicking on things and exploding them. Everything else is vestigial.

Action RPGs would be games with an action combat that make at least an attempt to have meaningful RPG elements (dialogues, quest lines, meaningful choices, etc) like The Witcher or Gothic.

I have no idea what FF XVI is because I didn’t play a minute of it yet, but from what I’m hearing a lot of people are claiming that it’s closer to a pure action game like DMC with a bunch of cutscenes tying things together and it doesn’t even pretend to do more than that.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

• Story and setting.
  • Items and inventory.
  • Experience and levels.
  • Combat.
I'm sorry but WTF? Interface and graphics lmao? Items and inventory? TLOU and Ninja Gaiden are RPGs according to your list.

Zelda games aren't RPGs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Little Mac

From what I've heard, one could argue that Diablo is the only RPG out of those options.

I'm level 82 running level 40ish Nightmare Dungeons.

miley cyrus 2015 vmas GIF

Tg89

Lol these games aren't remotely the same but:

GOTY: TOTK
Great game: FFXVI
Trash butchering of a series with a pathetic endgame: D4

Sentenza

If it's a type of action, why is it not action too?
I didn’t say there’s no action. I said it’s not an action RPG, because that definition is supposed to describe a specific formula.

Just because the Sun is a star it doesn’t mean all stars are the Sun, too.

Ansphn

This Final Fantasy has some of the greatest boss fights of all time when I've comes to specticals. I haven't seen boss fights like this since God of War 3.

Gaiff

I didn’t say there’s no action. I said it’s not an action RPG, because that definition is supposed to describe a specific formula.

Just because the Sun is a star it doesn’t mean all stars are the Sun, too.
What's with the fucking takes in this thread? Yes, Diablo is an action RPG lmao.

An action RPG is simply an RPG heavily focused on action. RPGs with a hack-n-slash combat systems are almost invariably action RPGs.

Maybe read the entire thing. It goes a lot more in depth. No Zelda game is an RPG, including BOTW and TOTK.

Sentenza

What's with the fucking takes in this thread? Yes, Diablo is an action RPG lmao.
No, it's not. But it's more or less a lost semantic battle going on for more than 20 years at this point.

Like role paying game with action...
I don't know what to tell you if you can't grasp that the lack of "role play elements" is precisely the differentiation between the two.
An action RPG is an RPG where the combat side of the game is controlled as direct action. A hack'n slash is a "RPG" (loosely) where the "action combat" is ALL there is about the game. No branching dialogues, no meaningful choices and consequences, no relevant interactivity with the scenario and/or exploration, etc.
Going by your definition we wouldn't even need the two different terms to describe/differentiate them, because both are games with action combat.

Unless you are one of these morons who think a couple of stats and a lousy skill tree are what defines "RPG elements" in any game.
Which would make basically any modern title in existence a RPG, incidentally.

Last edited:

Hudo

which game would you guys name as the "quintessential action RPG"? Maybe if we can pin that down, we can establish a metric.

Catphish

As far as I can tell, none of them are RPGs. I'm not even sure you could call them ARPGs. D4 and TOTK both use level scaling (which, to me, negates the purpose of levels altogether, thus forfeiting any claim to RPG status), and FF16's RPG elements, from what I've read, are as shallow and unnecessary as they come. It may as well be classified as a straight action game.

FFX was the last single-player FF RPG, D2 was probably the closest to an RPG they ever made, and I don't think any Zelda was ever a proper RPG.

Last edited:

Gaiff

No, it's not. But it's more or less a lost semantic battle going on for more than 20 years at this point.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't grasp that the lack of "role play elements" is precisely the differentiation between the two.
An action RPG is an RPG where the combat side of the game is controlled as direct action. A hack'n slash is a "RPG" (loosely) where the "action combat" is ALL there is about the game. No branching dialogues, no meaningful choices and consequences, no relevant interactivity with the scenario and/or exploration, etc.
Going by your definition we wouldn't even need the two different terms to describe/differentiate them, because both are games with action combat.

Unless you are one of these morons who think a couple of stats and a lousy skill tree are what defines "RPG elements" in any game.
We actually don't. A hack-n-slash is a type of action game. Ninja Gaiden is hack-n-slash, so is DMC, though obviously, neither are RPGs. Diablo is an action RPG with hack-n-slash combat. Hack-n-slash is simply more specific. There can be other types of combat. Lichdom: Battlemage for instance is an action RPG as well but clearly not hack-n-slash, hence why we can differentiate it from Diablo with just the label. ARPG is a very broad term and it's the first time in my life I've seen someone deny that Diablo is an ARPG.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

I think the definitions of RPG's are nonsensical and that's why no consensus is ever made.

Gandih42

I think FFXVI is more for me because I'm big into the combat and story focus, but I would say ToTK is the better game overall.

Haven't played D4, parts of it look really amazing (especially the story and tone) but the level scaling and forced online elements are a huge turn-off. Though I hope it grows into something beautiful over time, like D3 did.

Gaiff

I think the definitions of RPG's are nonsensical and that's why no consensus is ever made.
Because RPG is a spectrum, it's not just black or white. Is it or is it not an RPG. We subjectively determine if a game is an RPG based on the number of core elements it has from the RPG genre.

For instance, no one would deny that TES is an RPG. It's as RPG as RPG gets, ticking all the boxes. What about the new God of War games? It definitely has elements traditionally associated with RPGs but not enough for most people to consider it one.

It's really a debate of "Where does X or Y game fit on the RPG scale, and is it enough to consider it an RPG?"

RyanEvans21

I think FFXVI is more for me because I'm big into the combat and story focus, but I would say ToTK is the better game overall.

Haven't played D4, parts of it look really amazing (especially the story and tone) but the level scaling and forced online elements are a huge turn-off. Though I hope it grows into something beautiful over time, like D3 did.
Diablo 4 didnt have good story though.

Top Bottom