• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which recent actions RPG is best Diablo, FF16 or TOTK?

Which is best?

• Diablo 4

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • FF 16

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • shut up fat man

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

All 3 good for different reasons.

You are not gonna play tokt for the deep combat or interesting enemies or boss fights or story and characters and you are not gonna play ff16 for freedom of approach and exploration and physics, all of them have big flaws and big plus.

If i have to chose at gun point:

Zelda
Ff16
D4

But i have to finish ff16 so it could change.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Of the three games listed, while liking them all, Diablo 4 is the only one that truly feels like an action RPG.

Thabass

I don't count Zelda in the RPG gang, so I'm removing it from the equation.

Diablo is fine, but it being always online and having severe lag issues when it towns is a big sticking point for me.

That and I'm a FF fanboy, so Final Fantasy will always be over Diablo, personally.

So FFXVI > Diablo 4.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I’m not even sure what an RPG is anymore.. Seems every game fit that genre somehow.
reality-real.gif
That's kind of the point

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
OP , heads up that when you say ARPG that is generally meant to describe a very specific type of game. Diablo , path of exile , last epoch , titan quest, and lost ark to name a few.

This is top down isometric view games with Diablos formula of loot based grind.

What you’re actually asking is, which of these RPGs with action focused combat do you prefer/think is best ? Zelda and ff16 aren’t arpgs, but they are rpg games with action combat.

Hopefully that clears that up more.

As for which of them is best ? I love Diablo but level 70+ in that game is a 6/10 miserable experience of no fun and all grind.

Zelda feels revolutionary and awe inspiring.

FF16 is a return to form for the franchise but misses in a few key factors like difficulty , performance, motion blur issues, consistency of facial mo cap, and quest design.

Keeping all this in mind I’d give it to Zelda. It really is an incredible game.

the_master

FF XVI GOTY so far.
I abandoned Diablo IV quite soon, bored of the combat and the walking around. It was quite good compared to the III one, but still not my thing.

Same ol G

FF16 became DMC with lvls, Zelda while amazing is very light on the rpg elements.
I'd have to go with Diablo 4 on this one.

Bkdk

For recent release I would say Age of wonders 4, wouldn't say it's a pure RPG but none of the above are traditional RPGs as well, all of them are just having RPG as a feature. If diablo 4 has an offline mode with strong mod support I would go with that.

Rush2112

Banned
With exception of bayonetta I dont think anyone plays any nintendo game for “the combat system.”

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Nintendo classifies TOTK as an action-adventure game. So unless you're going to make the argument that Nintendo is wrong about their own game, let's stop with the TOTK is a RPG nonsense.

Last edited:

IAmRei

term hack and slash in top down/loot action rpg also debatable as well... i'm not complaining, but if you are using mage/wizard/magic related character, is it even hack and slash as well? i don't know, it's sometime confusing. also fighting = beat'em up in some region also confusing as well

Own all three have only beaten Tears but am in the endgame of FFXVI.

In order for me.
FFVXI, easily the best game I have played this year.
Tears, amazing all the way through.
Diablo 4, I'm stuck at 33 hours in and the game still hasn't clicked for me.

Poplin

there is no objective best, each is strong for what it wants to be. D4 is the best diablo isometric loot based ARPG to date., if youre the type that loves tweaking builds, its the best. Totk is an open world puzzle/action sanbox game, if you love playing in a sandbox thats the best game. FF16 is an excellent action role playing game with limited character building (its still there, just more limited) and a much bigger focus on story and action. If you like story and action, thats the best game.

Everyone has different motivations, no need to try to make three games going after three audiences somehow compete against each other on subjective terms. Anyone replying really would benefit from first disclosing what motivates them to play in order to best frame their take.

I am going with none of the above.

Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is the only one that seems to get both the action and the RPG stuff right.

Top Bottom