• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Released Game is The King of Graphics?

WELL?

• Total voters

Senua

Gold Member
You must choose, and choose wisely. My personal pick has to be Cyberpunk Path tracing, though I cannot run such settings, I watch in envy at the hoity-toity galavanting around their path traced worlds, incredible technology indeed.

ZVs3c1e.jpg

JtTWqjC.jpg

(It's worth playing this sound clip in addition to looking at the above pic, as the atmosphere just oozes that little bit more, you can almost taste it)

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If were talking graphics as in just sheer firepower, Im assuming its gotta be Cyberpunk with that new patch. That looks absolutely incredible, I just started a new playthrough on a 4090 and its one of those games where sometimes I just have to stop and look around and take it all in. Totally stunning.

If were taking art direction and all that into consideration too, Witcher 3 remaster on PC looks absolutely incredible. One of my favorite games ever just to look at. Some of the views and vistas are so stunning, its a photo mode dream lol. But Im guessing it couldnt go toe to toe with Cyberpunk on actual tech specs.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Cyberpunk raytracing was already pretty good. Overdrive just makes it a bit better, doubt I'd notice it in game.

These days it's harder to tell graphics apart in games, because art style plays a bit more of a role. I think after uncharted 4 I just stopped caring what games look like, as long as they were up to a certain standard. Like new graphical developments matter so much less. PS3 to PS4 graphics jump was exciting. PS4 to PS5 2.5 years alter feels very meh. Most things have been cross gen but even the exclusive stuff has been kinda underwhelming. Unreal 5 seems promising. I'd much rather studios focus on delivering a bug free and functional game than worrying about pushing graphics. Like RTX is more or less meaningless in most games and it's fairly broken half the time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Did Cyberpunk get new outfits or something?

Flabagast

It is obviously Cyberpunk ( you have to be dishonest to say otherwise as it de facto benefits from the most advanced lighting of all times), followed by Forbidden West.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cyberpunk looks like shit when played, the whole city design is juvenile and makes zero sense, very few areas look like they could be lived in and it's not fun to explore, everything is off like Deus Ex: Invisible War (or even Human Revolution's sad attempt at having exterior city parts) or something.

Freaking indie games almost a decade ago could look like this if that's what they wanted to focus on (granted this is the slightly touched up version from ~8 years ago instead), Idk why folks are still impressed just by AAA budget results on textures, polygons, amounts, etc. when the content is eh:

Might as well say Fortnite looks best cos of Lumen and Nanite.

Good graphics to me:

Last edited:

Hugare

Fucking hate that game, but Horizon

Cyberpunk with path tracing feels like cheating. It's basically brute forcing the game to become gorgeous.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cant find uncharted 4 so I voted tlou2.
Metro Exodus could also be there. It is technically better but tlou2 looks more coherent while metro got some rough spots.
Hogwarts, Demons... all look amazing.
Horizon FW also.

maybe Ratched should've gotten the voice. It's probably the only one which could be straight up released at the movies

Neilg

Horizon on consoles, cyberpunk in overdrive with a 4090.
Dont think people have realised what a massive technical achievement path tracing in cyberpunk is. Hopefully they'll do a talk at GDC and other devs will be able to implement it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Didn’t see that Cyberpunk was RT overdrive. Well ok so this thread is just a stealth thread for that game right? Because of course it’s Cyberpunk, never mind the fact only 0.4% of people can play that version.

That bs aside it’s Horizon.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Didn’t see that Cyberpunk was RT overdrive. Well ok so this thread is just a stealth thread for that game right? Because of course it’s Cyberpunk, never mind the fact only 0.4% of people can play that version.

Just because me or you can't play play overdrive settings doesn't negate it from contention mofo! Also it's not even winning so

What impresses me most is how Gran Turismo, Ragnarok, Horizon and Demon Souls are coming from a 10 tflop machine

3 of those are cross-gen titles, so not really impressive. The Last of Us 2 is much more impressive, it looks as good as a early gen ps5 title if not better than some games today and that was on a measly 1.84 tflop machine.

Damigos

3 of those are cross-gen titles, so not really impressive. The Last of Us 2 is much more impressive, it looks as good as a early gen ps5 title if not better than some games today and that was on a measly 1.84 tflop machine.
Agreed. Its just those 30 fps that even though very stable kind of annoy me. The PS5 patch is very impressive

Hunnybun

Cyberpunk is basically a next gen game, maybe even beyond that, in terms of RT, so for me that's just a pointless option. It can only properly run on a $2k graphics card.

I voted Ratchet. It's close between that and Horizon, but for me Ratchet is just more consistent. They're both huge leaps from the previous games in their series, though. It's shocking how dated HZD looks these days.

From what I've seen, Callisto Protocol is probably next, although I've not actually played it yet.

The best of the others I've played are GT7, Metro Exodus, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Actually the latter is shockingly good looking. Hard to believe it looks like that on last gen.

SeraphJan

You need a year based criteria, like the best graphic in 2023, 2022, 2021 etc.

Although many game still holds up for many year, but that does not do them justice

Some of the games that comes to mind: MGS2 2001, RE 2002, RE4 2005, GoW 2007

If you are strictly talking about modern era gaming without any criteria, some of the games that came to mind were Order 1886, Uncharted 4, Last of Us Part 2, Horizon 1 and 2, Gears 4 and 5, Cyberpunk 2077, Detroit Become Human, Resident Evil 2 Remake in their respectable years, aside from graphic fidelity, I'm also taking performance into account, for example Resident Evil 2 Remake's graphic is well beyond what its performance provide, many mid range PC could max out its setting and still have relative high framerate. And for many Sony exclusive games, these game look very impressive consider how mediocre their hardware was but still provide good visual that is comparable to more powerful PCs

In terms of art direction, that is very subjective, different art style contribute to different motif, theme, aesthetic etc. Even pixel art could look good if it's used correctly, Tactics Ogre and Triangle Strategy looks beautiful. But I think when people talking about graphic, their criteria probably was "in terms of realism".

However if by released you also include Demos, then the Matrix Demo is well beyond anything that is on the market

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you say anything but Cyberpunk OD then unfortunately I can't take you seriously. Not only does CP have eyeopening path traced lighting, it's eyeopening PT on top of an already heavily stylized game, making it completely stand out from most anything else.

(The only thing that negatively stands out is the city npc/ai simulation system, but that's a discussion for another thread).

With that said, I do actually appreciate the look of some of the other games posted here from weaker platforms, like Luigi's Mansion 3. I should play on the Switch more..

Last edited:

Fredrik

Cyberpunk is the new Crysis, if you can run it it’s no doubt the King right now.
Besides that I still have a softspot for RDR2.

Agreed. Its just those 30 fps that even though very stable kind of annoy me. The PS5 patch is very impressive
Next gen consoles will be very interesting. The 4090 is a 80+ tFlop machine and the PS5/Series X are essentially 2080s. By the time PS6 releases we will probably see 2 to 3 GPU generations that will be way above the 100 tflop mark. Consoles are usually 1 GPU behind.

The 3000 series came out same year as the PS5/Series X. So if hypothetically speaking a PS6 releases in 2028 the PC will be rocking 7000s by then. Next year is already the 5000 series. This means the PS6/Next Xbox will be most likely having a GPU close or equal too a 6080 which is a gen behind the 7080. Very exciting times ahead.

I know tflops is not everything and there plenty of other factors that play a role in what the tech/visuals can achieve but it's the easiest one to use and understand.

Very curious!

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
From a technical perspective, probably Cyberpunk but I find other games such as Forbidden West and TLOU Part 1 more aesthetically pleasing. One big advantage they have is that they don't have to render those ugly-as-sin pedestrian NPCs who look like mannequins and frankly take away from the visual appeal of the game. They look straight out of the PS360 era.

If we're talking about strictly what I find the most beautiful? Probably Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ori_And_The_Will_Of_The_Wisps_3_8_2020_11_25_05_PM.png

Last edited:

geary

CP77 hands down. I never played HFW, but i played HZD, but is something about this franchise which is off-putting and is delibarate, and thats the hero lighting and the DoF…It looks strange and clearly made with a goal in mind.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Not really. You can play it at 1080p 30 fps using dlss on a 3050. Looking at the steam hardware survey, it looks like around 20-25% of the GPUs should be able to run it.

Someone released a mod that DF tested which reduced the light bounce from 2 to 1, and it improved performance by 25%. Think of that as medium settings. You are still path tracing the game.

Top Bottom