• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Released Game is The King of Graphics?

WELL?

• Total voters

Kvally

Banned
2d0812_f15b066a63624a54af7f0e9433bb6323~mv2.gif
71VLOcX8rb1WVgLTp220KZSeX22mK18s0L5haVEf0uCNftu5O9hKwn4OIcKhhwWWHWJQTo23CK71DkDZ5JOIt035o_qNjnnpCMZhIBFPrsfaTDDdvIQ35q65gnWYhU9nE1VjDTEC9x3vGdXS7JjtFxG7RO59dQ=s0-d-e1-ft
That game is sexy as hell.

nial

Gold Member
I'll say I don't care TOO much about this to check out each title at its full settings in detail, but Demon's Souls is probably the only game that has REALLY impressed me graphically in a long time.
I personally more impressed by developers who can achieve good visuals even with underpower system.
WCCFluigismansion39.jpg
WCCFluigismansion37-1030x579.jpg

Luigis-mansion-3-boilerworks-underground-sewer-puzzles.jpg
You should also play Kirby The forgotten land, also gorgeous game.
NintendoSwitch_Kirby_scrn02.jpg

kirby-forgotten-land.jpg

scdrv7.jpeg
Luigi's Mansion 3 looks great, but I don't agree with Kirby. It looks very, VERY rough even on my 1080p TV.

Even though I don't have a PC for gaming, it's clear to me Cyberpunk, even before path tracing but especially now is the graphics king and Rdr2 is probably up there as well. Witcher 3 seems amazing there with RT as well.

I wish they did a better job on the consoles version of Cyberpunk. I'm majorly disappointed with it on Ps5. Image quality leaves much to be desired. RT mode is unplayable and the RT they used does very little. I also think the FSR2 they added made the performance mode look worse due to artifacts. Doesn't even hold 60 fps. Just piss poor after making us wait for so long for the next gen patch

Horizon/demons souls/ratchet/last of us part 1 are the most impressive looking games on ps5.

Forza Horizon 5 (at 30 fps) and Flight Sim are impressive on Xbox

Ps5 has a lot of really good looking games though. Just nothing that can compete with the lighting tech seen on PC.

I

Paulxo87

Surprised not more votes for ratchet. some of the scenes esp the disco club etc are like playing a pixar movie almost. it's absurd. artistically it goes to cuphead for me(cant believe I beat that game) the last of us part 1 also had some ridiculous lighting in certain levels. that game doesn't get the respect it deserves visually IMO.

I'll say I don't care TOO much about this to check out each title at its full settings in detail, but Demon's Souls is probably the only game that has REALLY impressed me graphically in a long time.

Luigi's Mansion 3 looks great, but I don't agree with Kirby. It looks very, VERY rough even on my 1080p TV.

Kirby us best played in handheld on the Oled but yeah, Luigis Mansion looks better. LM3 easily the best graphics on switch.

MarkMe2525

Cyberpunk is basically a next gen game, maybe even beyond that, in terms of RT, so for me that's just a pointless option. It can only properly run on a $2k graphics card.
DF released a video today on this exact topic. You would be surprised, they had it running at 1080p 30fps on a 3050. That's like a $270 card.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I still don't think DS Remake looks THAT good. It's good looking, but nothing that I don't think couldn't have been done on PS4
I'm not being argumentative or anything but have you played Demon Souls on PS5?

I ask because it's the one game where you can't really grasp how amazing it looks through screenshots. The density of the assets go far beyond most games, the lighting too

Guilty_AI

Not really. You can play it at 1080p 30 fps using dlss on a 3050. Looking at the steam hardware survey, it looks like around 20-25% of the GPUs should be able to run it.

Someone released a mod that DF tested which reduced the light bounce from 2 to 1, and it improved performance by 25%. Think of that as medium settings. You are still path tracing the game.
though tbf that is not the best way to play the game in those cards. And without a powerful CPU its pretty much unviable.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Surprised not more votes for ratchet. some of the scenes esp the disco club etc are like playing a pixar movie almost. it's absurd. artistically it goes to cuphead for me(cant believe I beat that game) the last of us part 1 also had some ridiculous lighting in certain levels. that game doesn't get the respect it deserves visually IMO.

It's way harder to impress people with cartoony graphics, apparently.

I still maintain it's the best looking yet. HFW is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't have that same "CGI" quality to it as R&C. I'm not technical so I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't quite feel next gen in the same way. Perhaps I'd say that R&C looks like a PS5 game, whereas Horizon looks like a PS4 game with really, really, REALLY high settings. Which I suppose that's essentially what it is, right?

The thing I find most striking about next gen games so far is how much sharper everything looks, which I presume is down to high res textures, right? HFW looks absolutely pin sharp at 1800cb, but when I booted up RDR2 last night (essentially the Pro version) I couldn't BELIEVE how muddy and low res it looked. It makes way more difference than the actual rendering resolution.

T4keD0wN

Ray traced and thus overall? Cyberpunk, clearly
Non RT? Plague tale requiem or RDR2
Console? definitely Horizon Forbidden west, followed by The last of us and then Forza

Gotta say Battlefront 2 visuals are super underrated

Last edited:

Braag

Technically speaking it's Cyberpunk 2077 having played it with the Path Tracing update. The way lighting, shadows and reflections look in that game it's just crazy to think it's all actually running in real time.

But if we're just talking aesthetically, it all comes down to opinions. All the games in that poll are valid contenders in that regard.

Fbh

It's close between Horizon and Cyberpunk for me.
Cyberpunk has the more impressive environments with that new RT update, though Horizon still looks amazing in that regard and has better character models.

Roni

Gold Member
Cyberpunk raytracing was already pretty good. Overdrive just makes it a bit better, doubt I'd notice it in game.

These days it's harder to tell graphics apart in games, because art style plays a bit more of a role. I think after uncharted 4 I just stopped caring what games look like, as long as they were up to a certain standard. Like new graphical developments matter so much less. PS3 to PS4 graphics jump was exciting. PS4 to PS5 2.5 years alter feels very meh. Most things have been cross gen but even the exclusive stuff has been kinda underwhelming. Unreal 5 seems promising. I'd much rather studios focus on delivering a bug free and functional game than worrying about pushing graphics. Like RTX is more or less meaningless in most games and it's fairly broken half the time.
You would, characters and moving objects weren't correctly lit even with psycho RT. Overdrive fixes that, it's a whole different ball game.

Last edited:
ratchet-clank-rift-apart-20210524110406-1623107952974.jpg

ratchet-clank-rift-apart-for-playstation-5_es8a.jpg

Not bullshots, not unrepresentative - this is what the game actually looks like.

In 1440p with RT at like 80fps.

In terms of pushing the console hardware, it's peerless.

Agree ..horizon isn't as impressive as a few of this games levels. The problem is consistency with Ratchet. The first two levels though are absurdly impressive

It's way harder to impress people with cartoony graphics, apparently.

I still maintain it's the best looking yet. HFW is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't have that same "CGI" quality to it as R&C. I'm not technical so I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't quite feel next gen in the same way. Perhaps I'd say that R&C looks like a PS5 game, whereas Horizon looks like a PS4 game with really, really, REALLY high settings. Which I suppose that's essentially what it is, right?

The thing I find most striking about next gen games so far is how much sharper everything looks, which I presume is down to high res textures, right? HFW looks absolutely pin sharp at 1800cb, but when I booted up RDR2 last night (essentially the Pro version) I couldn't BELIEVE how muddy and low res it looked. It makes way more difference than the actual rendering resolution.

Rdr2 has a known issue with its checkerboard rendering on playstation and they never fixed it. Xbox is where you need to play on a console. Wish those guys would patch it for 60 fps. Rockstar is full of shit.

Hunnybun

Rdr2 has a known issue with its checkerboard rendering on playstation and they never fixed it. Xbox is where you need to play on a console. Wish those guys would patch it for 60 fps. Rockstar is full of shit.

Yeah I know, it's not just that though. I could've named various other titles. TLOU2 is the same for example.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks sharper at 1080p on PS5 than TLOU2 does with PS4 assets at 1440p.

Last edited:
TLOU II, combination of PBR materials, Motion Matching, attention to the smallest details, (idle animations, muscle flexing etc) the overall package is UNMATCHED. Looks CGI sometimes…

Late to the whole drama but Abbys arms look so stupid hahaha. Looks like a Resident Evil character mod or some shit.

Top Bottom