• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

• Diablo 4

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Spider-Man 2

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Baldur’s Gate 3

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Armored Core 6

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • It’ll be Zelda, don’t kid yourself

Votes: 130 48.1%

• Total voters

LakeOf9

TOTK is awesome but there are a lot of great upcoming games this year (especially FF16) that might manage to be even better

Which of the upcoming games do you think has the best chance of beating out Zelda?

Zelda is goty no matter what, even if it’s not. I thought we already figured this out from the 36 threads we already have about how great it is 🤷‍♂️. I kid, I kid (but not really lol).

Realistically, probably nothing will top it. If anything Final Fantasy 16 has a small chance, but outside of that I would say Starfield, but I don’t think that will end up releasing this year, or really be that great if it does.
Unless there is a surprise amazing announcement next week at the PS Showcase, it will be Zelda.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Marble Rock Roast > Final Fantasy XVI 😢

I bet it’s Zelda. I feel like Nintendo has pulled out the grand piano just to play the melodies of my childhood. 10 million copies sold in 3 days? Please, that’s GOTY. Starfield is probably going to try and dodge whatever they can in case critics aren’t completely amazed. Starfield looks cool, but I’m not that all excited for it. I’m also looking forward to FF and D4. I also hope the new Armored Core is good. The more games I play this year, the less I care about GOTY.

Madflavor

Nones

TOTK wins alls of them in 2023

biggest clean sweep evers incoming

I don't see it winning Best Narrative, Score and Music, Best Performance, and Best Action Game. It ain't beating TLOU2's sweep.

TotK is locked for GotY and probably Best Direction and Best Action/Adventure.

Madflavor

Devil may cry mixed with Final Fantasy from the team behind the wonderful FF14. If it nails the story/characters and combat it's got a chance. Zelda totk is definitely its main competitor though, that game is brilliant.

The presentation and story of FFXVI would have to be something truly special and memorable for it to have a chance at beating Zelda. Even then I wouldn’t bet against Zelda.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Devil may cry mixed with Final Fantasy from the team behind the wonderful FF14. If it nails the story/characters and combat it's got a chance. Zelda totk is definitely its main competitor though, that game is brilliant.
FFXVI might end up being fantastic game, but it doesn't have the same mass appeal as Zelda, this also true with Armoured Core VI.

Fbh

You mean at the official Doritos pope awards?.

Unless Rockstar suddenly releases GTA6 before the end of the year there's literally a 0% chance anything other than Zelda is winning that award.

As for awards by individual publications, I could see FFXVI, Spiderman 2, RE4 Remake and maybe Starfield getting some awards here and there but 90%+ of them will still go to Zelda

Soodanim

Gold Member
Nones

TOTK wins alls of them in 2023

biggest clean sweep evers incoming
Your name should really be GigaBias, but if we're talking about the poll you're almost certainly correct.
  • Diablo 4 no one cares about
  • Final Fantasy XVI is doubtful
  • Starfield has potential
  • Spider-Man 2 I don't see happening
  • Baldur’s Gate 3 lol
  • Pikmin 4 lol
  • Armored Core 6 lmao
So that just leaves
  • It’ll be Zelda, don’t kid yourself
Indeed it might just be. Starfield is the only one with a chance, and even that as per Bethesda's norm will likely be a slow starter with negative feedback muddying the waters but an incredibly long tail thanks to modding. I don't see it doing Zelda numbers short term without a huge marketing push.

The Game of the Year needs to be solidly built with broad enough appeal or some other special quality that makes it stand apart from others. Half the listed games are too niche to get GOTY from anyone but devoted fans.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
FLLMFp5XsAIcRvb.jpg

Elysion

Banned
Maybe Starfield, but only if it is truly groundbreaking, and isn’t too buggy at launch. If it’s just Fallout in space then it won‘t have a chance. It needs to have truly open, freely explorable planets with lots of cool stuff to discover; as well as a deep ship- and vehicle-building mechanic that allows us not just to fight other ships in space, but also to use those vehicles to traverse planets – including underwater.

Spiderman 2 could have a chance too, but like Starfield it would have to bring something truly incredible to the table, like the ability to break every window and enter every building we see (with procedurally generated interiors), as well as a powerful physics engine that allows us to do crazy things like throw cars into buildings and whatnot. “Spider-Man 1, but better” won’t be enough to beat TotK.

Both are pretty unlikely, unfortunately.

As for the others, I don’t think any of them have a chance.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 are the only contenders.

I actually think Spider-Man 2 could end up this generations Uncharted 2. Guess we'll have a better idea next week.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Starfield may be a candidate, but it is going to be Zelda.
The wont even mention Hogwarts Legacy.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
TOTK going to win.
But i think spiderman 2 could possible win best action game award or something like that
Then FF16 best RPG or something

Robb

Gold Member
I hope Insomniac knocks our socks off, so I’ll go with Spidey.

Not sure about StarField still, but it could definitely be a big hit if they nail everything they’re going for. Looks extremely ambitious.

Fredrik

Starfield.
But to be honest it’s really not going to have a chance. Bethesda should delay it and hope next year will give them a better chance if they want GOTY awards.

mrmustard

Banned
i mean sure not as big as GOTY but its better than no award : |
It's like telling your kids 'You didn't lose the football game, you got second place!!!!'. Everbody knows it's BS, but it sounds better.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Zelda already won the normie vote, it's obvious just looking at social media. It really reminds me of Elden Ring last year.

Starfield and BG3 might be better in their respective genres and will get some "sub-awards", and the rest might be good but will be forgotten by the end of the year.

Also Stellaris needs to get some award for best ongoing game.

Boy bawang

Unless Starfield does something really out of this world (hin hin hin), Zelda will be the GOTY. And that seems deserved.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Clicked Spider-Man 2 before I saw the last option. It's TOTK winning the most awards, to think otherwise is delusion.

I'd still like to see - and I'm gonna give, in my limited capacity - Hi-Fi Rush its due.

GymWolf

Starfield if it is as big/praised as skyrim, but it's gonna be super hard.

Armoured core may be too niche and ff16 doesn't fully convince me yet.

Lol at spiderman even being in the discussion, cmon guys...

Edit: i forgot re4 remake, the media seems to love it so it's gonna get some votes for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom