• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's GAF GOTY so far?

What's GAF GOTY so far?

• HiFi Rush

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Hogwarts Legacy

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 104 27.8%
  • Redfall

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 48 12.8%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 103 27.5%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Dead Space Remake

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Remnant 2

• Rofif's GOTY Forspoken

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Street Fighter 6

• Total voters
From what I’m seeing should be Baldurs Gate. This looks to be the Mass Effect 2/Witcher 3 moment of this generation.

Of those I’ve played Star Wars followed by RE4.

The more removed I am from it the more soured I am on FF16 such magnificent highs marred by such tedium.
I don't think BG3 will be as influential because what it does well requires a level of effort most developers won't put into their game to get it to this level. Funny enough a game like wasteland 3 has a similar "how tf did they account for that" style of rpg gameplay but BG3 just bring that AAA production value to it.

Maestr0

This is going to be Zelda versus BG3, but Zelda TOTK is just way leagues ahead, but damn, they didn't lack quality with BG 3, this year is amazing, even the damn remake and remastered (Metroïd Prime is still the goat of it's time sorry RE4 :p)

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
FF16 started out strong, but by the end of it, I was immensely bored, sad to say.
This was my experience, too. Went from a 9 out of 10 in the first act to a 6 after. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it as of three weeks ago, and I haven't felt the need to return to it.

Kumomeme

Tiers of the Kangdom!
Kang The Conqueror Kang GIF by Marvel Studios

Such a toss up between Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3 for me. But as I haven't finished and probably won't finish BG3 for a while, I'll just say that I think Tears of the Kingdom is one of the greatest games ever made. It's easily my desert island game. So I'll go with that. For now.

---------------

The fact that we've had so many incredible games this year so far; really has been a treat considering the last few years have been pretty dull comparatively.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Tears of the Kingdom is probably my favorite game of all time, so yes, it definitely is my GOTY.

Shout out to all the awesome games so far though, 2023 will be one of those years that gamers look back on and talk fondly about for a long time to come.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So far, Hi-Fi Rush was the highlight for me, but I am still very early in Baldur's Gate and liking it quite a bit, so ask me again in a few weeks.

Street Fighter 6 was also excellent and might be a contender if I was more of a hardcore fighting player. FF16 got off to a good start but couldn't stick the landing.

Haven't played TotK yet but I am one of those people that thought BotW was like a B- game.

Doom85

I’ll be playing BG 3 on PS5, and I could see it easily being my GOTY, but for now it goes to Resident Evil 4 Remake. Holy shit, what an incredible game! Totally lived up to the original masterpiece in my eyes.

Zoom Out Video Game GIF by CAPCOM

I'll get plenty of shit for this, but mine is between Atomic Heart and Pikmin 4 so far. FFXVI and TOTK were pretty good, too.

You lot are seriously sleeping on Pikmin 4, it's been an amazing experience so far after a sloppy start and it just keeps getting better.

Bkdk

So far baldur’s gate 3. However I’m pretty confidant that starfield will be my goty. I picked fallout 4 over Witcher 3 eventually back in 2015 just due to the sheer amount of mods and how moddable the game is. Open world playground+ extremely moddable is such a golden gaming formula that works for me best so starfield will very very likely be my goty.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Crazy year so far for me.

I haven’t beat Zelda but loved every second of it.

Loved RE4 remake start to finish.

BG3 has been almost daunting with how much is packed into this game. Sort of gives me anxiety….

Diablo 4 bad… but I have like 200-300 hours in it. Beat Uber Lilith even. Multiple level 100s….

FF16 I think going into this year I thought would be my GOTY and I dropped it maybe 20-25 hours in at the second time skip. Truly a horrendous fucking game.

—-

All that said ? Zelda. It’s fantastic and exudes excellence.

Special mention to remnant 2 for being a game not at all on my radar and providing some damn good fun until BG3 launched.

Now we wait to see if AC6,Starfield, lords of the fallen, sea of stars,blasphemous 2, or Alan wake 2 can change Zelda’s throne. I may even pick up AC Mirage.

Rockondevil

Hogwarts Legacy so far for me.
TOTK is decent but not the Zelda I want.

Starfield could easily become number 1 but that’s obviously TBC.

DavidGzz

RE4 if it wasn't a remake so I went with a new game, Diablo 4. It has flaws but I still haven't put more hours into anything else yet and it's slowly improving. I think FOMO has me about to pull the trigger on BG3(but I never finish turn based games these days) so this could change. Still plenty of time left in the year.

Last edited:

Elog

I voted BG3 - feels a little early to call it but unless it drops like a stone in quality in act 2+ I cannot see it loose the number 1 spot for me.

foamdino

2023 is going to go down as a massive year in gaming. Partly due to delayed games from covid years, but also feels like the current-gen machines and games designed for them have just started to hit their stride (oh and Nintendo giving the Zelda team as much time as they want - this always leads to great results).

BossLackey

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate 3

I don't know how. The release schedule this year is up there with some of the most packed and impressive years ever. Probably 20+ MUST have games for me (if not more) this year.

Baldur's Gate 3 was nowhere near my radar. I've never really played a CRPG and haven't been huge into RPGs in general until lately. This game is a masterpiece.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good year. Finally some competition.
I see my game is already listed as goty, so I am going with ff16 !
Ac6 might steal it

ChiefDada

Gold Member
FFXVI for me and this is an openly biased opinion; as an older brother the story just hit me hard. The God-tier OST made it 100x more impactful. Speaking of which, there should be no other considerations for best music. Soundtrack is second to none.

Edit: I gotta say this has been an AMAZING year for gaming. Everyone platform is winning.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've only played one of them: RE4R. It's good, I don't think it deserves GOTY.

It'a turning out to be quite a competitive year, so we will see what takes home the prize. Maybe Starfield, who knows.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I haven't played Zelda, so it's FF16 for me so far.

The game had its flaws, but the highs are insanely high. No other games have that. It's so unique and fun in that regard.

Also, why is Redfall in that conversation? The game is one of the worst reviewed games and the biggest disappointments in the history of video games. There are other, better games like Rogue Legacy 2, Tchia, or Humanity that could be on this list instead.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
hogwarts feels like it’s the most shafted out of the games here. It was so good and everyone calmed down on it because of other releases.
Also, re4 is the only game this year I’ve finished twice in a row.
Forspoken is the game I think most about.
F16 is the game I voted :p

Meicyn

Gold Member
Hogwart’s so far, but I suspect Baldur’s Gate 3 will take the crown when I get to play it next month.

Kakax11

Banned
Zelda based on the fact that it's the only one in that list that came out fixed and ready to run without issues

My real GOTY should be Lords of the Fallen but who knows what stuttering Tim Sweeney engine 4 is hiding for us at launch day

geary

Yeah man everyone was falling all over themselves for Diablo 4 in the first week it was out too and now it has 1 vote here for GOTY and everyone else hates it. Whatever big game that just came out is always people’s favorites. We’ll see.
Depending how you evaluate. If you take into account only the campaign, it’s up there…If you take into account campaing+season, thats another thing, but i think is disingenous to evaluate it like this.

mxbison

What I've played so far:

Hi-Fi Rush: 9/10
Zelda TotK: 9/10
Street Fighter 6: 8/10
Diablo 4: 7/10
Hogwarts Legacy: 6/10

Only just started Baldurs Gate 3 but I could see that ending up #1.

Top Bottom