• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's GAF GOTY so far?

What's GAF GOTY so far?

• HiFi Rush

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Hogwarts Legacy

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 104 27.8%
  • Redfall

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 48 12.8%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 103 27.5%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Dead Space Remake

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Remnant 2

• Rofif's GOTY Forspoken

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Street Fighter 6

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Isn’t this the guy who said he is interested in Project Q? he sure has unique taste
Forspoken is good and would be my goty except there are better games this year. It gets my honourable vote though :p in fact hogwarts that came closely after really surprised me.

As for project Q. It makes some sense if the price is low enough.
Most people use these handhelds in home anyway. So why play on low setting 30fps if you can play 1080p 60 high quality but streamed from your ps5. Of course if streaming is good

Edit: I know I already voted ff16 and forspoken in my heart… but hogwarts was so incredibly good. It was so beautiful and chill. I watched all movies in preparation as I was not hp fan at all and only seen two movies as a kid. And my mind keeps coming back to hogwarts. It such a good game.
Edit2: gotta play dead space remake too. Got it on my shelf
Edit3: gotta play horizon dlc and forspoken dlc.
Edit4: the fact that I had psvr2, finished horizon and returned psvr2… yeah that speaks for itself

Last edited:

Hudo

My current top 3 are:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Baldur's Gate III
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Disappointment of the year (so far):

Diablo IV

Last edited:
I'm still early on in Baldur's Gate 3 but I know this is going to be my GOTY.

The only other games I've enjoyed this year are Diablo IV, Hogwarts, and TOTK. Diablo was fun but after beating the campaign I can't be arsed grinding. I'll play it whenever I feel like it and I'm not bothered about getting to the best dungeons/builds etc. TOTK is fun but it's too similiar to BOTW (not that it's a bad thing...). Hogwarts was a big surprised for me even as a huge HP fan. I was expecting it to be shit but yeah it was really enjoyable despite the flaws. Hopefully we get a sequel.

I can't see Starfield beating BG3 lol. Armored Core VI is probably the only game that is going to challenge BG3 for my GOTY.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I just got a ps5 and only played Elden ring, GOW: Ragnarok and TOTK. I'm playing TOTK on handheld only at work, and i would say it's my least favorite. I Guess Elden Ring would get my vote.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This was my experience, too. Went from a 9 out of 10 in the first act to a 6 after. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it as of three weeks ago, and I haven't felt the need to return to it.
I’m at about the same part. Just gets so boring after big set pieces and you’re running around doing FFXIV quests until the next God of War boss fight.

ssringo

Act 1 of BG3 is enough to be GotY. Ran through most of it over the weekend as one character. Then rolled another and doing everything almost completely different. Also been checking out some Let's Play and I'm seeing even more outcomes.

So yeah, it's BG3 by a country mile and I don't even really play turn based RPG anymore.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tears of the kingdom is respected and a huge statement from Nintendo that they can make good games on whatever hardware.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I haven't played all of them yet, but I had the most fun with PSVR 2 games. For non-VR games it would probably be Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space.

IAmRei

for me it's FF XVI, still not playing zelda totk yet, afraid to sinked too much XD
not having exclusivity of gaming time now not as before
but yea, FF XVI might not perfect and but still the visual style and gameplay is makes me awe much

BG3 coming for that zelda booty
booty GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
hogwarts feels like it’s the most shafted out of the games here. It was so good and everyone calmed down on it because of other releases.
I don't think Hogwarts is being overlooked just because other releases have come out and people have moved on. Hogwarts has an amazing setting and characters and captures "the Wizarding World" really well. For me, it's everything I wanted out of a Harry Potter adventure game. In a lot of ways, your enjoyment of this game will hinge largely on whether you're a fan of the books and/or movies.

However, the game has a huge amount of bloat - Ubisoft levels even. The combat also never really expands in any meaningful way, and the game drags on for longer than (I personally) think it needs to. The longer the game goes on, the more glaring these issues become.

xandaca

Pikmin 4. It has some fairly notable flaws, particularly the mandatory and overly-sticky lock-on and Dandori Battles being less tactical and visually interesting than Bingo Battle (also, still no online multiplayer) but the open map design, beautiful visuals, Olimar's Shipwreck optional game, vastly improved balance between surface and cave gameplay over Pikmin 2, addition of Oatchi and the game's overall charm are so great that its shortcomings feel inconsequential in comparison and just playing it really is a wonderful, soothing experience. TotK was impressive in its scale but felt too tightly bound to BotW and its big additions (sky/depths) seemed tacked-on despite having their pleasures, but as far as simply being pleasurable to play, Pikmin 4 had it beaten by a surprisingly comfortable margin.

Markio128

I’ve easily had the most fun with PSVR2 this year, so either GT7 or Beat Saber as my GOTY so far. As for standard GOTY, I’ve probably enjoyed The Witcher 3 upgrade more than any other game on that list.

mykedo0909

I think we are really lucky with 3 massive sp games: totk, bg 3 and if starfield delivers as well.

But totk (as i prefer the kind of gameplay and love zelda)

It will be hard for starfield to flip bg3

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't think Hogwarts is being overlooked just because other releases have come out and people have moved on. Hogwarts has an amazing setting and characters and captures "the Wizarding World" really well. For me, it's everything I wanted out of a Harry Potter adventure game. In a lot of ways, your enjoyment of this game will hinge largely on whether you're a fan of the books and/or movies.

However, the game has a huge amount of bloat - Ubisoft levels even. The combat also never really expands in any meaningful way, and the game drags on for longer than (I personally) think it needs to. The longer the game goes on, the more glaring these issues become.
I found it very relaxing and refreshing. The game is basic and simple to understand. Combat got enough depth too.
As for Ubisoft bloat. Yeah but only if you wish to engage with any of it.

Freeman76

So far Hogwarts. Have enjoyed some of the other games on the list immensely, but the first few hours of Hogwarts in the castle and going to Hogsmeade were a really magical experience for me and something I rarely get from gaming these days.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I didn't play the game, so I'm not judging it, but based on what I read, I think it could have been really special if they trimmed down the Ubi bloat and replaced it with a "real" school system a la Persona or Bully. Well, maybe for the sequel.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
was bout to come in here and rant about how this poll is stupid for not including Hi-Fi Rush.....thanks for including Hi-Fi Rush, the one true videogame of all time an undeniable GOTY.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This poll is funny when you suddenly realize that there's a chance that no one here has actually played all of these games.

Nintendo fans are probably all voting TotK, because that's the only game they've played.
Playstation fans are probably all voting FF16 because that's the only slim chance they have at "winning" the poll.
Xbox fans are probably all voting TotK because they have a base too small to win a poll anyway (with HIFI Rush) and it's pretty much the only game not on Playstation,
PC fans are probably all voting BG3 because that's the one true GOTY :D

With that said, GOTYs are good for nothing anyway, so none of this matters, it's all good solid fun. /disregard my post

Last edited:

hbello82

Neo Member
TOTK all the way. When I thought they couldn't one up BOTW, they proved me wrong. It is BOTW and more in my opinion.

Hugare

Crazy that we are still in August and already have so many gems

I've played pretty much every game in the poll, except Star Wars and Remnant 2 (and Redfall, of course), and I would say Baldurs Gate 3, with ease

Playing it feels like playing TW 3 for the first time. Magical stuff.

TotK was cool, but it felt too similar.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I voted Hogwarts. Great game.

It would have been my GOTY, but they really dropped the ball when it came to interactions. My first playthrough was Gryffindor, and I played the way a Gryffindor would behave. My second playthrough was as a Slytherin. As it turns out, you can't play the way a Slytherin would behave. Even when I tried to be a jerk to non-Slytherins, and to Gryffindors especially, there was no repercussion, and half the time my insulting response wasn't even as insulting as it should have been. That made me give up on subsequent playthroughs. They made your character's personality and other's responses to your character virtually the same, regardless of how you want to play the character.

If there is a sequel, this is the piece that needs the most work. Let me be an absolute prat.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I thought it would be Diablo 4, but Blizzard hasn't really done a good job at getting me to come back for season 1.

So, it's Baldur's Gate 3, which is a fucking masterpiece.

Denton

Baldur's Gate 3 from the list. But I think I actually like Jagged Alliance 3 even more so far. Much lower production values, but I enjoy the combat there so much more.

Topher

Gold Member
It would have been my GOTY, but they really dropped the ball when it came to interactions. My first playthrough was Gryffindor, and I played the way a Gryffindor would behave. My second playthrough was as a Slytherin. As it turns out, you can't play the way a Slytherin would behave. Even when I tried to be a jerk to non-Slytherins, and to Gryffindors especially, there was no repercussion, and half the time my insulting response wasn't even as insulting as it should have been. That made me give up on subsequent playthroughs. They made your character's personality and other's responses to your character virtually the same, regardless of how you want to play the character.

If there is a sequel, this is the piece that needs the most work. Let me be an absolute prat.

Yeah, I agree. I'm playing Slitherin in my second play through as well. Not really much difference. I still love the combat though.

Bry0

Baldurs gate 3 just came out and it’s pretty clearly the best game I’ve played this year. Like yeah we had a ton of great games, but BG3 is just on another level.

RetroAV

So far? It's RE4 Remake for me (though I admit I haven't played most of the other choices). However, by the end of the year it might just be this: 🤯 :love:

Top Bottom