• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's GAF GOTY so far?

What's GAF GOTY so far?

• HiFi Rush

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Hogwarts Legacy

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 104 27.8%
  • Redfall

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 48 12.8%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 103 27.5%
  • Diablo 4

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Dead Space Remake

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Remnant 2

• Rofif's GOTY Forspoken

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Street Fighter 6

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This year has had one GOTY contender release one after another. Now Baldur's Gate 3 has come out of nowhere to threaten to crash Zelda and Starfield's party. With Starfield and Spiderman still to come, we have a pretty decent GOTY lineup to choose from already. Everything from HiFi Rush to Star Wars to FF16 and RE4 have generated GOTY buzz this year.

Just wanted to do a quick check in half way through the year to see where GAF is leaning.

P.S Let me know if I missed a game you'd like added to the poll.

P.P.S Zelda is my GOTY so far. Phenomenal levels of freedom, a true sandbox game. FF16 couldve been it, but blew it with poor pacing and mmo quest design.

Final Fantasy 16. I understand the flaws, but I really enjoyed the cast, story, production values, music and gameplay. It felt uniquely old school in a lot of ways, but was very charming to me. It's not a perfect game, but it was the game I was most excited to come back to this year so far.

Runner up for me is probably RE4:R. I never fully played the original, but this game is pitched perfectly and is easily one of my favorite RE titles of all time. Great action/adventure title. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time with nary an issue of pacing.

Hogwarts is probably third for me. It's a safe open world game, but man it has a lot of charm and ends up feeling quite unique in the end.

Zelda TOTK is a good game but it didn't do much for me. It felt like BOTW reskinned. I wanted better dungeons and character/item progression, and did not get that. It's just more of BOTW on steroids with expanded locations and things to do everywhere that really seem like an unnecessary time sink. Still enjoyable, but I have no desire to do everything the game has to offer. It's simply not rewarding. I don't get any enjoyment out of the vehicle building and the Depths section was boring padding. Series needs to go back to its roots.

Pikmin 4 - really enjoying this so far, having never played a Pikmin game. Doubtful it ends up on my GOTY list because it's a quirky kinda game, but it's really well done and unique.

Hi Fi Rush - another quirky game, won't end up on my GOTY list but it was enjoyable, if a bit simple. But it does ooze a lot of charm.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Final Fantasy 16. I understand the flaws, but I really enjoyed the cast, story, production values, music and gameplay. It felt uniquely old school in a lot of ways, but was very charming to me. It's not a perfect game, but it was the game I was most excited to come back to this year so far.
I loved that it was old school almost PS2 levels of straight forward action but then the first act ended and it turned into PS4 Ubisoft levels of open world padding. Perhaps they shouldve just released this as a 15 hour single player game like RE4 with no open world levels whatsoever.

Laieon

For me:

1. Hogwarts Legacy
2. Diablo IV
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Everything else I've played this year came out before 2023.

I expect that once Cities Skylines 2 comes out, that'll end up as either 1 or 2.

Zelda TOTK is a good game but it didn't do much for me. It felt like BOTW reskinned. I wanted better dungeons and character/item progression, and did not get that. It's just more of BOTW on steroids with expanded locations and things to do everywhere that really seem like an unnecessary time sink. Still enjoyable, but I have no desire to do everything the game has to offer. It's simply not rewarding. I don't get any enjoyment out of the vehicle building and the Depths section was boring padding. Series needs to go back to its roots.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. I miss the traditional 3D Zelda formula so, so much and it sucks that there really isn't anything out there to replace it with. TOTK is a good game, but just not what I want out of a Zelda game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
eswyg33.png

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

bender

What time is it?
Prisoner of the moment, but unless things change a lot, it's Pikmin 4. I had Hi-Fi Rush and Tears of the Kingdom at the top of my list previously. The only challengers I see coming are Armored Core and Baldur's Gate 3 (might play some of this today to see how Deck performance is).

Diablo IV is easily my biggest disappointment.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Dead Space
  3. Hogwarts Legacy
  4. Hi-Fi Rush
  5. Star Wars Jedi Survivor

I expect this list to look quite different by the end of the year with Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Alan Wake 2, Phantom Liberty, Spider-Man 2, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and others still on the way.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Prisoner of the moment, but unless things change a lot, it's Pikmin 4. I had Hi-Fi Rush and Tears of the Kingdom at the top of my list previously. The only challengers I see coming are Armored Core and Baldur's Gate 3 (might play some of this today to see how Deck performance is).
It's also Pikmin 4 for me and I would have never thought that would happen.

Mr Hyde

My current top 3 right now

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Resident Evil 4
HiFi Rush

Halfway through Dead Space and it is excellent but I don't think I'll put it on a GOTY list. Got FF 16 and Forspoken on the back burner but probably won't be able to finish them on time.

kunonabi

I've only bought totk so I guess my answer has to be Tekken 8 since I played the CNT and enjoyed my time with that way more. Had I been able to buy Wanted:Dead that probably would have been my answer.

I loved that it was old school almost PS2 levels of straight forward action but then the first act ended and it turned into PS4 Ubisoft levels of open world padding. Perhaps they shouldve just released this as a 15 hour single player game like RE4 with no open world levels whatsoever.

Probably would have been for the better if it were a 20 hour non-stop action linear adventure game. But the open world stuff could have been better. Truthfully, many of the side missions actually do have really great writing, but they are worse off due to very lengthy cuts and pretty basic structure. They could have condenscened many of them and made the production values more like SP missions, similar to what Horizon FW did

Vox Machina

Banned
imagine voting d4 hahahahahh

The campaign was engaging and high-quality. That's about all I can say for the game in it's current form. PoE still absolutely windmill dunks on it in terms of A RPG mechanics.

I voted BG3. Before that it was Hi-Fi Rush. I expect Starfield will edge out BG3 after I play that.

Laieon

imagine voting d4 hahahahahh

D4 is a ton of fun. If it weren't for Hogwarts, it easily would have been my number 1 at this point in the year. It's exactly what I'm looking for in an ARPG (the first 20-30 hours anyway, but 20-30 hours is my ideal length for a game anyway). It's the best ARPG I've ever played (slightly beats Last Epoch, I've never enjoyed PoE), but I'll agree that 50+ definitely needs some work. Thankfully, the genre doesn't punish you for stopping and moving on to something else.

Perhaps they shouldve just released this as a 15 hour single player game

The industry would be a lot better if everyone took this advice.

Last edited:

yamaci17

zelda so far
played jedi survivor, hog legacy and re4

hog legacy is bland boring game. aged like curdled milk. its now a solid 80/100 for me
jedi survivor story went nowhere. it was a decent cool experience but solid 85/100
re4 now that I liked it a lot. comes very close to totk because I adored the combat. my first time playing a RE game btw. a solid 91/100
totk however is a solid 94/100 for me, hence my goty so far

baldur gate 3 might change that. or not. depends on whether the story in bg3 will invest me or not. gameplay combat and stuff could be fantastic but I need some decent story out of it too.
then comes starfield ofc.

amount of freedom and sandboxing in zelda games is crazy high. and they added so much new stuff over Botw that I did not even think it would be possible. I also liked how they spiced up things with map being the same. I was invested in the story more than the botw too. a big plus actually.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Only saying what I've played a good chunk of or completed. I'm still too early in Zelda to put it at number 1 even though it probs will be by the end.

So far my top ten is looking like...

1. Resident evil 4 remake
2. Star wars jedi survivor
3. Hi Fi Rush.
4. Hogwarts legacy
5. Metroid prime remastered.
6. Diablo IV
7. Battlebit remastered.
8. Dave the diver
9. Exoprimal
10. Final dantasy xvi

I need to play piking 4 asap! And more zelda...and BG3....

Too many games man!

Without a doubt, it's fantastic, but given that BG3 was only released 3 days ago, who really has had enough time with it to justify calling it their GOTY?

I voted TOTK, today, but a few more weeks might change my view.

buwpB6C.png

That's half my completed TOTK playtime in 3 days.

It's a once in a generation title.

Yeah man everyone was falling all over themselves for Diablo 4 in the first week it was out too and now it has 1 vote here for GOTY and everyone else hates it. Whatever big game that just came out is always people’s favorites. We’ll see.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4, but I haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 yet. Looking forward to it!

Also: LMAO at the Rofif callout in the poll

Edit: reading some of the talk about BG3 in this thread is getting me hyped. Can't WAIT to play it now.

Last edited:
Zelda was fantastic but I hope it doesn’t end up winning everything. So many great games this year, would love to see the love get spread around. Very early into BG3, but it definitely feels like the most ‘impressive’ game so far.

I thought it was going to be BG3, but at this point I'm enjoying it less than Original Sin 2. The longer I play the more I dislike the dice roll mechanic. It's not even the mechanic itself as much as the fact that it feels like an interruption. I know you can skip most of the animation, but it's still annoying. There should be an option to have the game take care of that shit in the background.

Reactions: Fuz

gow3isben

From what I’m seeing should be Baldurs Gate. This looks to be the Mass Effect 2/Witcher 3 moment of this generation.

Of those I’ve played Star Wars followed by RE4.

The more removed I am from it the more soured I am on FF16 such magnificent highs marred by such tedium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom