• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

• Diablo 4

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Spider-Man 2

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Baldur’s Gate 3

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Armored Core 6

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • It’ll be Zelda, don’t kid yourself

Votes: 130 48.1%

• Total voters

Madflavor

GOTY, Best Action Adventure, Best Direction - Zelda TotK
Best Action Game, Best Narrative, Best Score/Music - Final Fantasy XVI
Best RPG - Starfield

That's how I see the big awards going down.

Lokaum D+

Maybe and its a BIG MAYBE, Bloodborne 2 ( if it existed and was released this year )

people saying Starfield, Bethesda fans are delusional sometimes..... poor guys

Last edited:

ssringo

Zelda is great but it's not likely to be my GotY.

But come the fuck on. It's delusional to think Zelda won't gonna win the vast majority of GotY awards.

RAIDEN1

I was thinking Spiderman 2, as it is a PS5 exclusive, and the PS5 has the largest base of fans currently second only to Nintendo's switch, so there will be plenty of Playstation 5 owners lapping it up!

BlackTron

What Toyota has the best chance of beating Ferrari? Discuss, there must be one Toyota that is 2% closer to beating it than the rest, right?

ebevan91

GOTY, Best Action Adventure, Best Direction - Zelda TotK
Best Action Game, Best Narrative, Best Score/Music - Final Fantasy XVI
Best RPG - Starfield

That's how I see the big awards going down.

I think this is pretty accurate, although never underestimate Inon Zur. Starfield could sneak out a win there for best score.

I voted with my heart and wrote ac6. Realistically, absolutely nothing. ToTK is wonderful, and I was more skeptical of it than 95% of people (not counting those who were just being intentionally disingenuous)

BlackTron

Funny you should mention basement, because only basement dwellers give a shit about "game awards" shows lmfao.
I don't have a basement and I don't give a shit about the show either. It's nice to stay on-topic though, it's in the subject line.

If you want to wait for 60FPS that's fine, but that has utterly nothing to do with what game will win GOTY.

DosGamer

I know one thing to be sure.. and that is no matter what, Starfield is going to disappoint. The numbers I am reading on sales of Zelda has pretty much already sealed the deal.
I am really starting to worry for MS. Another year like the past couple and its doom and gloom.

And yet, here you are.
John Cleese Reaction GIF by Monty Python

No game will beat Zelda this year. The closest second is Final Fantasy XVI, everything else is fodder. Starfield can be awesome but it'll probably be buggy as all hell at launch, I bet it'll be a high-80s game. Spiderman 2 will be more of the same and what will carry the game is the narrative and nothing else, I'd say will get a 92 score at best.

Now for Armored Core 6. It'll not be this earth-shattering game some are expecting. I played Armored Core 3, 4, and 5, and from the trailers, it'll be more Armored Core. It'll be an incredible game for fans of the franchise but I don't expect it to be another hit like Sekiro/Elden Ring.

MirageMew2

Tbh other than TotK, Hogwarts and Jedi Survivor are the only two games this year that’ve made a strong impression on me so far. Zelda no contest but personally those two will sit up there for me at the end of the year I’m sure, more so than any of those upcoming games, save for maybe D4 and SM2.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Starfield has a chance since the gaming industry does gravitate towards that kind of experience, that's if Bethesda doesn't fuck it up...but they will so.

FFXVI also has a chance, but it doesn't look to be anything revolutionary or innovative. Armoured Core doesn't have a chance in hell.

But who knows, maybe Starfield and FFXVI haave various gameplay tricks up their sleeves that will blow our minds and Starfield wont be bugridden and a pain to run on PC, there's always hope....for an indie game to come out of nowhere and take the world by storm.

Gambit2483

Spider Man 2 is gonna be on the same map, and there's no way a sequel on the same map can beat TotK.
I heard something about Insomniac using SSD tech for parallel world mechanics in the game...though it could be false I could see them doing something "different" with the map this time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Armoured Core doesn't have a chance in hell.
That game easily end up my personal GOTY but Mecha games just don’t appeal most western audience. So I kinda agree it has almost zero chance winning “official“ GOTY.

Zelda is an IP Bias, nothing can't stop it. Even if the game has issues, it doesn't matter lol.

I think even GTA 6 7 8 9 can't stop it lol.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Zelda is an IP Bias, nothing can't stop it. Even if the game has issues, it doesn't matter lol.

I think even GTA 6 7 8 9 can't stop it lol.
Has GTA ever been a big GOTY contender? In 2004 it got beaten out by Half Life 2. In 2008 it got beaten out by Fallout 3. In 2013, it got beaten out by TLOU which was a brand new IP.

Not GTA, but even RDR2, which was one of the highest rated games of all time, got beaten out in 2018. Not quite sure were the myth of Rockstar as some big GOTY contender comes from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tmlDan

At this rate, it's almost guaranteed to be Zelda.

BUT if we see more of other games and they look hella impressive my opinion might change.

It's hard to beat the nostalgia train

LakeOf9

At this rate, it's almost guaranteed to be Zelda.

BUT if we see more of other games and they look hella impressive my opinion might change.

It's hard to beat the nostalgia train
Based on how much long time Zelda fans hate BOTW and TOTK (and how totally new players like me have fallen in love with those games) I don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it lol

Plus like half the games in the poll have nostalgia going for them. FF16? Diablo 4? Spider-Man? Come on lol

tmlDan

Based on how much long time Zelda fans hate BOTW and TOTK (and how totally new players like me have fallen in love with those games) I don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it lol

Plus like half the games in the poll have nostalgia going for them. FF16? Diablo 4? Spider-Man? Come on lol
its not the same, Zelda and most nintendo franchises are a catch-all. Easy to play, for everyone, and have been around for multiple decades.

The games you listed aren't for everyone, even Spiderman is hard for non-gamers to play and have fun with.

LakeOf9

its not the same, Zelda and most nintendo franchises are a catch-all. Easy to play, for everyone, and have been around for multiple decades.

The games you listed aren't for everyone, even Spiderman is hard for non-gamers to play and have fun with.
So the nostalgia is not nostalgia as much as it is continuous appeal by being good universally appealing games?

People seemed to be so sure FFXVI will be the GOTY
From what the people who have already played it are saying it has a very legit chance of winning. I have already beaten Tears of the kingdom and while I liked it a lot more than Breath of the wild. My favorite game so far this year and by a lot is Age of wonders 4.

Top 5 so far this year in order

Age of wonders 4

if you haven't tried it you really should.

Tears of the kingdom

Octopath II

Resident evil 4

Baldurs gate III even in beta is better than 90% of the games released this year so it will probably be higher when the full release drops.

Last edited:
I don’t think it will be a easy win for Zelda like people think. It’s been a great year so far and it will get even better.

I can see Starfield wining if it lives up to the hype. Zelda could suffer the same faith has God of War Ragnarok and lose because it’s too similar to the first game.

Starfield will be a brand new experience and Spiderman 2 also has the potential to blow everyone away too.

Top Bottom