• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

Which upcoming game has the best chance of beating Zelda in GOTY awards?

• Diablo 4

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Spider-Man 2

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Baldur’s Gate 3

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Armored Core 6

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • It’ll be Zelda, don’t kid yourself

Votes: 130 48.1%

• Total voters

Fredrik

Zelda is an IP Bias, nothing can't stop it. Even if the game has issues, it doesn't matter lol.

I think even GTA 6 7 8 9 can't stop it lol.
I don’t think it’s about the IP this time, the hype and all the social media and community excitement is all about the actual gameplay. And it’s beautiful to see. This is how it should always be.

I wasn’t even all that hyped, this year was all about Starfield for me, everything else was side dishes, including Zelda.

But the physics and how things affect everything combined with the building freedom and exploration and traversal freedom makes everything else seem incredibly shallow and restricted now.

Nintendo already showed that physics was cool in BOTW but in TOTK they’ve taken it all to a whole other level.
And they’re doing this while other devs aren’t even trying to reach where BOTW was 6 years ago.

There is no doubt a wellknown Zelda style core game and story in TOTK though, which could use a healthy update. But the things they’ve added here for gameplay makes me not even care about the things that are still the same as in 1980s Zelda.

To be honest I don’t understand why other devs are just sleeping on gameplay and physics improvements. They just keep on polishing animations and making higher res textures and ray-tracing etc. It’s really just surface level improvements. The games underneath are still like they were decades ago. It’s kinda amazing really. Wasn’t it said that physics was one of the big improvements that we would get when the CPUs were finally getting better? What happened?

Last edited:

Hoppa

I’m as certain ToTK is going to win as I was with Elden Ring even though I don’t like either game. People are frothing over it, I can’t escape!

mrmustard

Banned
I don’t think it will be a easy win for Zelda like people think. It’s been a great year so far and it will get even better.

I can see Starfield wining if it lives up to the hype. Zelda could suffer the same faith has God of War Ragnarok and lose because it’s too similar to the first game.

Starfield will be a brand new experience and Spiderman 2 also has the potential to blow everyone away too.
I don't see how Spider-Man 2 could possibly will win over Zelda. Insomniac delivers solid work, but they didn't hit the jackpot yet. Spider-Man 2 will be super sexy, but can the gameplay improve to make it a 95/100?

Yoboman

Only FFXVI gives me the vibe of doing an Elden Ring style surpassing all expectations , which is what it would take

If we are being real it's a no contest though

Fredrik

I’m as certain ToTK is going to win as I was with Elden Ring even though I don’t like either game. People are frothing over it, I can’t escape!
Don’t fight it, embrace the fun! 😊👍

I sometimes get lost in focusing too much on the visuals and framerates and story-telling, but now I’m back and once again realizing that gameplay is really where the real fun can be found.

Tbh I’m completely blown away by what Nintendo has done here and how they’ve managed to make it this free without it all breaking apart. They must’ve iterated on the game and physics engine and how it all affect each other for years.

LakeOf9

I don’t think it will be a easy win for Zelda like people think. It’s been a great year so far and it will get even better.

I can see Starfield wining if it lives up to the hype. Zelda could suffer the same faith has God of War Ragnarok and lose because it’s too similar to the first game.

Starfield will be a brand new experience and Spiderman 2 also has the potential to blow everyone away too.
TOTK’s praise is for NOT being a simple iterative sequel like Ragnarok was

Top Bottom