• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

AgeEighty

For vr developers? It absolutely is.

Sure. There are no other specs or market factors to account for. Not one dev will care about screen resolution or display technology, or the price of the thing. Not a one of them will care what the Rift's final specs are. Seems legit. You were right: not a smoky whiff of the hype train on you.

Yes yes, its neat to have uninformed opinions. Sorry for shining light on how this shit works, i wont bother you further with annoying details .

Or, you could lose the attitude that being a dev means you're the only one who knows what he's talking about. I understand the tech just fine, including what the implications are for a seated experience. They're good, but not game changing, and other differentiating factors are liable to equalize things.

AgeEighty

They continue to sell the Vita, which still gets great games and is an awesome piece of tech. Any other company would have retired it by now. I respect Sony keeping it afloat.

The Vita is not a peripheral. I'm talking about things like Move, their various camera peripherals, stuff like that. Their history of support for those kinds of devices is less than ideal.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sure. There are no other specs or market factors to account for. Not one dev will care about screen resolution or display technology, or the price of the thing. Not a one of them will care what the Rift's final specs are. Seems legit. You were right: not a smoky whiff of the hype train on you.

All of that is secondary to head tracking. All of it.

I understand the tech just fine, including what the implications are for a seated experience.

You should demonstrate that, then.

tm9rYTl.png

Real talk: Are you John Locke?

"Let's get LOST" - Chet Baker

Tagyhag

I honestly don't know. I would need to try all the consumer versions first, these devices aren't going to be cheap so I'd like to spend more time than just a quick "Oh this one is cool, I'll just go with this one".

The main 3 factors for me are: 1. How long it takes me to get dizzy/uncomfortable 2. The hardware of the device 3. The software

They continue to sell the Vita, which still gets great games and is an awesome piece of tech. Any other company would have retired it by now. I respect Sony keeping it afloat.

If you consider the Vita a peripheral, then you're kinda proving his point.

DavidDesu

Morpheus. I don't have a PC at all and have no intentions of buying one unless I win some money, so my only outlet for decent VR will be my trusty PS4. I cannot actually believe Sony have made a headset, and by all accounts one that is very competitive with the ones made solely for PC like Oculus and HTC Vive. It is likely to be outspecced by those devices but Morpheus seems very able to achieve presence and give a good VR experience. Never thought I'd see this day, and when VR was kick started (figuratively and literally) by Oculus I thought VR would be the preserve of PC gamers.

It came as a very pleasant surprise that Sony were so serious and so competent at VR with their own solution. I still think they have a great shot at being the ones who really make VR a success in the mainstream. I'm just happy I can experience VR, and I know this will just be the beginning but if it works and kicks off then VR will be here to stay in future consoles. The future is so full of potential and I hope everyone's devices do well and are a success.

This is easy:

1.owned by Facebook.......... NO! Just NO!

2. Valve.. Looks like I'm hopping aboard this one!

3. Sony. Too much has happened and PS4 has not mended all the wounds, will have to wait and see if we need exclusive memory cards on this one.. but probably too late by then.

4. Microsoft.... So is this gonna work out like the phone business for you?

5. Razer... well.. so.. what was their thing again?

6. Mobile oculus. Not going to go mobile in a long time, and when I do it's gonna be facebook free. (yes i'm still bitter)

7. LG.. sigh.. do they make anything that is the best in their market?

8. Google cardboard.. I'd give it a try I someone handed one to me..

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony with Morpheus..and why?

1: They own the hardware already (PS4). 1 configuration so easier for developers.

2: Sony owns some of the best game development studios in the world, and they are inhouse + all the third party relations.

3: Movie studios and music. Sony pictures and Sony Music can make content for Morpheus in the future.

4: Maybe we will see the PS4 OS in a new way with VR?

5: Userbase is already 20+ million units.

Man

The Vive controllers are ridiculous and dangerous looking imo. In terms of product design the Vive is a near zero:
Inside-out tracking is probably a bit more expensive than outside-in.

RoyalFool

Banned
Morpheus first because I like the idea of VR on fixed hardware, I know I'll end up fiddling with graphic settings constantly otherwise to try and find the perfect fps/graphic balance for VR - with Morpheus Ill actually play games on it instead.

Then the vive, because it sounds like it's just a hardware product and so should be compatible across various games and later on maybe even systems.

Rift is right down the list now unfortunately, reading between the lines it sounds like Facebook are seeing the device as a method of selling software, they are creating their own VR game store and ecosystem and I worry the system will be pretty much locked to it. Before the buy-out they would have been at the top of the list.

Loofy

When can we expect a shootout?

Just reading impressions it seems people are enjoying Morpheus more but I dunno..

Brofist

Sony doesn't support peripherals well, and I don't even own a PS4, so that one is out.

Probably between the Oculus and Valve ones. Which ever look to offer the best experience.

louiedog

Steam Link briefly had a store page yesterday. If they sell hardware on Steam and let me use wallet balance that might push me to buy from there.

Stealth50

I'm interested in all but if I had go with one I would probably say Morpheus just because that's where I think the best software will be found. Only Sony could possibly have Media Molecule next 3D creation tool there, along with Sony Bend's horror game, Gravity Rush 2, Giant Sparrow's next game, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, a new version of Home, Quantic Dream's next game among others in development for it. Most major publishers are also more likely to put their focus there and most indies that succeed on PC will probably be ported there. I'm incredibly excited for this and next E3.

Hololens for me, but to be honest I can't see myself using anything like this. My wife would ridicule the crap out of me wearing something like that lol.

JaggedSac

valve is the only company going with an inside-out positional tracking system. they win my support by default.

also the rift is expected to be 1440 P not 1080 p

Is walking around while in a VR game going to be important? Especially for most people?

Morpheus.

Already have a PS4, Move controllers, and the PS4 camera.

Also have a relatively new laptop, that can run games quite well, but struggled to keep any kind of decent framerate on DK2 demos. Not a chance it's going to output 1440p.

Kevin

Use to be interested in Oculus Rift but it's just been delay after delay. After Carmack's statements, it seems like it might not be out for years yet.

My money is going to Valve currently.

Alx

Use to be interested in Oculus Rift but it's just been delay after delay. After Carmack's statements, it seems like it might not be out for years yet.

My money is going to Valve currently.

What did Carmack say ?

Peltz

Krejlooc, I'll understand if you can't answer, but do you have a sense of which controller you prefer? Move or Valve's tech?

I sort of feel like standardizing the controls is so far away in either event. Your thoughts?

Also, are there rumblings of Oculus throwing their hat in the controller ring? I feel like they're a step behind without one of their own.

Kevin

What did Carmack say ?

"John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 58s58 seconds ago
Note that I made no statement at all about PC Rift release dates. It is not sound logic to conclude that it will be after Gear 3."

He doesn't confirm anything but it's just looking like a 2015 release is no longer in the cards.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Vive because I read Engadget impressiom and MS HoloLense because its fucking innovating and something I have always dreamed of.

One of the PC versions. I will get Morpheus but just for shits and giggles, unless it's too expensive. They usually have decent tech but absolute shit for support. Look at Move, the Eye Toy, the PS4 camera, even going back to the HDD for the PS2 and their unwillingness to support older wheels on the PS4 (yes, this is Sony, don't care what the 'speculation' is).

So I may not get it at all, but if they have something like Sports Champions which was THE best motion control game I played (including Wii and Wii Motion+) then I may have to bite either way.

But right now, Rift or Vive, depends which one comes out first as they are probably fairly close in specs. Will have to wait for future comparisons though, as I've not tried either of them (only own a DK2).

Krejlooc

Banned
Krejlooc, I'll understand if you can't answer, but do you have a sense of which controller you prefer? Move or Valve's tech?

I sort of feel like standardizing the controls is so far away in either event. Your thoughts?

Also, are there rumblings of Oculus throwing their hat in the controller ring? I feel like they're a step behind without one of their own.

I haven't tried valves vr controller yet, but i massively prefer inside out tracking.

As for interoperability:

So I like to distance this type of input from the term "motion controls" because of the kind of ignorant connotation it seems to have among some, so I call it positional tracking. And the cool thing about positional tracking is that, regardless of how you derive your position, in 3D space, it is always defined in the same way - as a matrix. What this means is there is a fundamental degree of interoperability among all devices that can track position accurately.

Realistically, there are only 3 ways currently correctly track position in 3D space, and each has it's draw back. You can use magnetic induction, as the hydras and STEMs do, you can use inside-out positional tracking, as the wiimote does, or you can use outside-in positional tracking, as the rift and playstation move does.

Magnetic induction tracking has a lot of problems with interference and accuracy, becoming logarithmicly less accurate as you step away from a central base. We use this, obviously, to track in HL2VR. As the "worst" tracking solution of the 3, I think it's still pretty good, and I think the STEMs will be much better. But I think inside-out positional tracking is the single-best solution available.

Outside-in positional tracking is subject to occlusion, meaning you can get in between the camera and the object being tracked, and it will lose position. Inside-out positional tracking mounts the camera on your headset, so it is always within your range of vision. The old limitation on inside-out tracking was that you needed external landmarks to track - the wii used a sensor bar, and valve was using QR codes taped to walls at dev days. Valve's headset uses a new technology they've created called Lighthouse - it is dedicated positional tracking hardware. Lighthouse sprays IR light across the room using a laser and prism, which is invisible to our eye. The cameras on their headset, however, can see these dots and use them to track in absolute, 1:1 accuracy anywhere in the room.

It hasn't been revealed yet, but their controllers track using the same thing. They are inside-out tracking, they never lose orientation. This is the single best tracking solution possible, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Regardless, back to my original point, they all boil down to the same information in the end. So you don't have to worry about competing standards - the way we are using positional tracking is the way all projects will eventually use it. It's inevitable. With Move being a big thing for morpheus, Sixense about to ship the STEMs, and valve packing in a positional tracking system, it's safe to say that, if you're developing for VR, it won't be unreasonable to assume you can track your user's limbs

Branduil

Right now Vive is the most interesting to me as they actually have a product announced for PC this year. We'll see what Oculus has up their sleeve at some point, though.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Either Vive or Oculus. On the one hand, GabeN + Valve. On the other, Carmack. Tough choice to make. The one that's most compatible with existing and future games will be the one I'll buy, regardless of specs (provided that the gap between them isn't huge, of course).

LOLDSFAN

I don't really care for a clunky VR head-mounted display but if I had to chose one I'd pick the Vive. HTC makes good hardware and Valve is part of the gaming industry unlike Facebook. Not interested in Morpheus because the PS4 has finite specs so it will always under perform as time goes on.

ironcreed

Banned
I have never tried any of them before, so I cannot say for certain. However, I am not too keen on strapping such a device to my head for gaming. I am of course open to trying it out, though. Which I would most certainly have to do before I even thought about buying one.

I'm still hoping for Nintendo to join the party. That's so not them to miss this kind of train..
I mean they were the first actually, just a little too early :p

Computer_Nintendo_On.jpg

:p indeed.

But yeah, count me on those waiting to see what solution Nintendo is going to use.

While I have PS4, the Move, camera, and nun-chuck alike for it, hearing how important greater than 1080p resolutions is for VR, and owning a PC that blows my PS4 out of the water, I think I'm going to pass on Morpheus for now.

I'm actually quite sold on Valve's Vive actually. I'm just getting a bit annoyed/impatient with Oculus' slow crawl to market, and want a VR headset, so I can possibly start developing for it.

The Vive seems to have everything except a great vertical pixel count. I love the PS Move, so if the Viva controllers work as good as those, and the price is right, I think I'll jump full-in this year with it, unless Oculus shows something cool soon. To top it off, this thing is supported by Valve, an incredibly smart and top-notch game dev. If thier lack of current game output means they have a bunch of cool VR games, and will actually support this thing with some killer apps, that could be amazing for the Vive's support.

Relique

My first gut reaction is going with Sony as the entry point into VR. They have shown the most impressive demos so far and have the install base and first party studios to make a diverse selection of games. I expect that 3rd party devs will be eager to work with the Morpheus if initial sales are good since the PS4 install base is very solid already and will only improve when the real big hitters start coming out. I think this is why Sony went with a 120HZ refresh rate, there is enough incentive to just port a ps3 first person game, optimize to 60fps and you are halfway there to making a serviceable VR game. They might not be killer apps but can certainly get the ball rolling and if sales are ok it can encourage devs to make full fledged games.

On the other hand, the potential for Valve's headset is enormous. They already have some really great first person franchises that if optimized for VR, can be huge game changers. Portal, Half Life, L4D, and Team Fortress on VR can make it really hard to resist buying one. The best part is that they are not graphically intensive games and can probably run at optimal settings with a 200 dollar video card. Besides that however, I don't yet have enough faith that PC devs will embrace VR in a big way. It requires a pretty beefy system and there just isn't a big enough market to sell to. I expect that the first couple of years might be a little slow with a few smaller experiences, ports, and indie (Kickstarted?) projects but nothing really big unless Valve is behind it. I could be wrong but consumer versions are supposed to come out this year, yet there isn't a peep about a really big game being in development.

Another factor to consider is that PC is a more dynamic market. Components are upgraded much more frequently... like new video cards every year as opposed to a console every few years. I expect Sony's headset to last me through the generation, and if there is an update to it is likely just to be there to reduce costs or maybe provide a slightly better panel. On the flipside, new upgraded PC VR headsets are likely gonna come out every year (higher resolution, higher refresh rate, higher field of vision, wired/wireless, and god knows what else.) it makes no sense to be an early adopter if the content isn't there yet and the headset can possibly be outdated by the time the good stuff comes. I game on a budget and it's already hard to keep my PC up to date, I can't be buying a VR system every one or two years.

After all is said and done, any of the competitors may very well come out with a must have killer app that will sway the decision either way. But from what I see right now, Sony is the smartest choice for a budget gamer. Valve has spoken about compatibility with other VR systems, so I am hopeful that PC drivers will be released for the Morpheus. At the very least, the modding community may figure out some sort of a solution. If I have to buy an extra accessory or whatever to make it work for a 100 bucks or so then I'll be happy for the next couple of years.

M3d10n

I just tried the Epic/WETA Thief In The Shadows demo on the latest rift with a new positional tracking system. I said wow. I'm really, really impressed. The tracking was flawless and there was no discernible latency at all.

MrChom

If the last time you tried it was 20 years ago, you really need to give it another shot. The difference between then and now is night and day.

the last time you tried it, this was top of the line in 3D graphics:

1145.jpg

the last time you tried it, latency was measured in centiseconds. The last time you tried it, your VR headset didn't even have 75,000 pixels. The last time you tried it, we didn't even have millimeter accuracy for positional tracking, let alone submillimeter accuracy.

The last time you tried it, Mario 64 wasn't released. The last time you tried it, quake hadn't been released. The last time you tried it, windows 95 was brand new. Direct X didn't even exist. GIFs were a luxery online. Compuserve was the number 1 ISP in the world.

It's ridiculous how much has changed in 20 years. This should be obvious. What you tried didn't work. Now it does.

Well some things have changed in 20 years. You are vastly underestimating the marketing push that big players like Facebook, Sony, Valve, etc can bring to the mainstream table. Think wider than just 'looking around as second nature', many successful programers, developers, hardware manufacturers, game development companies and social networking companies seem to think its bigger than niche. But maybe they didnt try it 20 years ago.

A lot has changed in 20 years but the basic concept of "ooh, I can look around isn't this immesive" hasn't. Just does not interest me in the slightest. I'm bad enough being slightly paranoid about wearing headphones, I don't need the added thing of not being able to see as well thanks. THis is without the whole thing about the lack of glasses support.

And while I can appreciate many people are buying into this.....so what? Remember Betamax? Laserdisc? The minidisc (outside of Japan)? The original Atari? Heck, look at the list of things Facebook have bought, if you can name any of them outside Oculus, WhatsApp and Instagram you're doing very well! At the same time there's no way VR goes mainstream simply because of a few simple things, the most important of which is just how isolating headsets are.

It'll have its uses, usually medical, search and rescue, whatever....but it will be one of those Kinect like things for the rest of the world....bundled with a console/platform, and largely ignored.

Linkup

I just tried the Epic/WETA Thief In The Shadows demo on the latest rift with a new positional tracking system. I said wow. I'm really, really impressed. The tracking was flawless and there was no discernible latency at all.

New positional tracking system as in the same one they have been demoing with Crescent Bay at CES 2015 right? Have you tried Valve's stuff yet?

yuraya

Valve is the only true gaming company from head to toe from the OP. The fact that they are aboard this VR stuff and I primarily game on Steam means I am more interested the Vive. Its really hard to trust those other companies and believe they will push gaming interest ahead of all other social media casual bs. Especially facebook.

Anyways I probably won't buy a headset until its at a fair price and/or there is a killer app for it.

Vindicator

Morpheus, my PC (i7 860 + GTX 670) might be too slow so I'll wait with building a new one until a bunch of new standards have prevailed like HBM, DDR4 etc.

Kyonashi

The Vive controllers are ridiculous and dangerous looking imo. In terms of product design the Vive is a near zero

You know those aren't consumer-ready product design? It's a prototype that will look a lot different come release.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Vive technology, with full body recognition, already feels like VR 2.0 compared to what I know from other techs.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Hololens looks like it would be transformative. You should be able to use it at work in conjunction with your computer setting up virtual screens. The possibilities are mind blowing given that its running on windows 10 so should support the items that os supports.

SparkTR

Unless Oculus release in 2015, I'm going with Valve's thing. My PC is way more powerful than my PS4, and Valve/Oculus's demos were seemingly lightyears ahead of Sony's visually, so no reason to consider a Morpheus just yet.

Top Bottom