• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whose thinking of switching? PS->XB

Will get a PS5 as soon as possible regardless.

If for some reason XSX got something AMAZING down the line that could not be missed. Like for example Elder Scrolls 6, and it was actually good. I would buy an Xbox THEN. But definitely not this year at launch. Game pass does nothing for me. I own all the games I possibly want. I have never felt like "man if only I had more games to play for rent"

Was a huge Sony fan throughout the PS3 gen, and was wildly anticipating PS4 back then.
Was a huge letdown for me though, since I am not into the cinematic stuff that Sony has been laying its priorities on this gen.

Plus, I kind of like the direction MS has been going with its aquisition of studios over the last years.

Just hope they get some of the games out soon enough.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I was in the EXACT same boat as the OP until last week. Did exactly the same thing 360 to PS4. The decision was easy. I like wise LOVE the Sony exclusives. Days Gone was amazing and Naughty Dog are my favorite developers. However the last two years I've not liked Sonys business strategy at all. (Check out the "No enhanced PS5 games?" Thread for a big detailing of why). I've got a massive digital library of about 250 PS4 games.

Anyways long story short I'm getting both consoles day one this gen. I can't lose those Sony exclusives but the Xbox will probably be my main. The enhanced games will be better, there appears to be no outrageous UK price hike ($90 games), the store refund policy is great. The console is more powerful. I also got the Gamepass 3 years deal for £120 so every first party and all past and present Bethesda titles will be on there for free.

I'm still not losing those (best in the industry) Sony exclusives but fuck Sony recently. I hope they snap out of the shitty decisions they have been making before it's too late. They are losing market share from hardcore fans like us with large game attachment rates. Over seven years thats a lot of lost potential revenue.

FYI people saying it's "your decision" or "do what you want" while it's true, its not helpful as PS4 main players have a difficult decision to make. The answer isnt as clear cut as before. If I had to choose one console.... god it would probably be a PS5 but I'd hate doing it. Just get both and make the Sony an exclusives machine.

Saruhashi

Banned
I was considering switching since I think Game Pass is good value and if the Series X is the most powerful console out there then maybe I'd try that for multiplatform games. Just for a change.

Now though I'm just thinking I want to play Demon's Souls and will definitely want to play Horizon sequel and the next God of War.

Microsoft should have really known here since they are not going to be most peoples console of choice that the new console NEEDS to launch with a killer once in a lifetime game. Pushing Halo back just killed any possibility for me.

I can get PS5 and play my PS4 games on it and pick up what I like. IF Series X was launching with a potential 9/10 game of the year ready to go then the decision would have been far more difficult.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I'm not switching, I'm buying both, first i'll get the PS5, late 2021 when Microsoft releases some games, i'll get the XSex.

Skifi28

Having a huge backlog you haven't touched basically negates your gamepass point. As far as power goes, I doubt there's going to be a huge difference and MS has shown nothing different so far.

Grab one now and the other a year down the line? I don't know.

Hostile_18

Banned
Absolutely disgraceful proposition.

Only if you have a massively powerful PC like yourself. For console gamers it's a hard decision. The console with the better games OR the most powerful console, one with the more consumer friendly policies and cheaper games.

Even more relevant if your outside of the US where the price hike is outrageous. 70$ to buy in America is 90$ here in the UK, the third price rise in 7 years.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Only if you have a massively powerful PC like yourself. For console gamers it's a hard decision. The console with the better games OR the most powerful console, one with the more consumer friendly policies and cheaper games.

Even more relevant if your outside of the US where the price hike is outrageous. 70$ to buy in America is 90$ here in the UK, the third price rise in 7 years.

Even if I didn't have my PC, I'd still prefer PlayStation 5 because if Sony's track record of amazing first-party titles. Also, I believe that the ~1.87 teraflops worth of difference between the consoles' graphics capabilities will be negligible in terms of real-world performance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, I don't see why I would. Sony is still going to have the best 1st party games, and the more than twice as fast SSD, adaptive triggers, PSVR2, etc, are more intriguing to me than 17% more flops.

Maybe I'll get an XSX as a complement in 2-3 years when/if Bethesda exclusives start showing up.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
I can't wait until quarterly sales numbers come out next year because you'd swear with the way Microsofts PR has nerds swooning that it should reflect with reality. But do you OP, Sony's first and second party exclusives are the only thing keeping me interested in gaming.

Hudson_303

Neo Member
I think MS helped me make this decision with the Series S. Buy a PS5 and then sell a few bits to fund a really affordable next-gen Xbox too in the Series S. Problems be a solved.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LOL gamepass

yeah have fun playing old games on this system and not even owning them

so funny to me whenever someone says gamepass is why they are switching. U really want to just flush your money down the toilet lol

also the next Skyrim will be whored out on every console not sure why people are still pretending they would make it exclusive for the first time in the series cutting themselves off millions of sales

wishful thinking for people with no new games on the nearest horizon. U gonna wait a whole year to play the new Halo? Ok have fun

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
A lot of people will be switching from PlayStation to Xbox at the start of the gen due to Gamepass and availability. The more price conscious gamer has a great incentive to get a Xbox, specially a Series S.

A lot of people will be switching to PlayStation due to how things went this generation, which is pretty clear.

At the end of the day you gotta do what's best for you, instead of just following the herd.

T-Cake

I'll be going from PC and PS4 to XSX and PS5. PC gaming is just annoying as hell for me. Although I will miss all the free games that are given out. I'm not looking forward to having to rebuy a shedload of games either. :( Thankfully Game Pass will ease that worry a bit.

supernova8

Banned
Might not bother with either of them. I have a PS4 but it's in a box I haven't played for a while.

Since I'm not made of money, I need to choose between a games console or a new graphics card. I feel like getting a new graphics will make me happier in the long run.

Last edited:
MIicrosoft should have really known here since they are not going to be most peoples console of choice that the new console NEEDS to launch with a killer once in a lifetime game. Pushing Halo back just killed any possibility for me.
Where was that game for the PS2 (or the PS3)?
Seemed to have done quite well without one.

Hostile_18

Banned
LOL gamepass

yeah have fun playing old games on this system and not even owning them

so funny to me whenever someone says gamepass is why they are switching. U really want to just flush your money down the toilet lol

also the next Skyrim will be whored out on every console not sure why people are still pretending they would make it exclusive for the first time in the series cutting themselves off millions of sales

wishful thinking for people with no new games on the nearest horizon. U gonna wait a whole year to play the new Halo? Ok have fun

Play all first party games day 1 free and if you still have the inclination to buy it down the line then by that time it will be super cheap. I got my three years gold and upgraded to ultimate for a pound. I'm literally paying £3 a month and I'd of needed a multiplayer sub anyways.

Goddammit MS… I’ve been a Sony fan this generation and absolutely love all their first party stuff (I’m currently winging my way through the excellent Days Gone, really cant see how this game is considered average tbh) I had a 360 before, then they gone fucked it up with their next generation reveal whilst Sony knocked it out of the park with the far superior console so it was a no brainer decision back then to switch.

Now, things are very different, I’ve got 7years worth of PS+Games, 80% I’ve yet to play, half of them I want to play, but it’s still a huge digital collection of games. I was never into MP so I wont be missing out if I did switch but by fuck Sony really got its hooks into me with their 1st party efforts, I played the TLOU remaster & Uncharted Collection twice over, all the remastered PS3 stuff and pretty much loved all their 1st party outputs so my mind was salivating at the prospect of next gen TLOU3, UC5, GOW2 etc etc and then MS had to come along and do every fucking thing right (apart from their dumb ass reveals)

The console is the more powerful, only a fucking deluded fanboy would argue otherwise, GamePASS… man that’s a fucking game changer right there, all those games PLUS MS studios 1st party efforts all for a few quid a month including the exclusive Elder Scrolls 6!?? And Sony is gonna charge me how much for their 1st party games??? £70!! FOR A SINGLE FUCKING GAME….

Decisions Decisions… I was gonna pull the plug, preorder my PS5 and pick it up at midnight on release buuuuuut MS has made me wait, so I’m gonna hang tight, replay some of my back catalogue on my Pro and patiently wait for the proper next generation release of CyberPunk so that I can see exactly what a top tier independent studio can wring from each system and then make what I imagine to be a hard fucking decision… but Kudos Microsoft, your back in the game!
I think it is very incorrect to suggest that Xbox is the more powerful console. If we compare both machines on an overall level, PS5 comes up on top by strides. The only thing XSX has more of is TFLOPS (about 2TF - 19.4% more); other than this, PS5 is better in everything else. Significantly faster USBs, orders of magnitude faster I/O solution (229% faster, not taking into account the much better compression. Also remember that due to architectural constraints XSX cant even saturate its 2.4 GB/s raw speed while PS5 can do so), BT 5.1 and WIFI6 (makes wireless VR possible) and other things like better cooling solution, much better controller etc. If you consider all of this, PS5 definitely becomes the more powerful console and "only a deluded fanboy will argue otherwise".

CthulhuPL

I've changed my mind. Or rather sony and ms made me do it. At the beginning of the year I was goin 100% for ps5 but now I going for xsex. Simply sony did not delivered. I'm sure i'll buy ps5 eventually but right now it looks like overpriced comparing to xsex and gamepass offering.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I think it is very incorrect to suggest that Xbox is the more powerful console. If we compare both machines on an overall level, PS5 comes up on top by strides. The only thing XSX has more of is TFLOPS (about 2TF - 19.4% more); other than this, PS5 is better in everything else. Significantly faster USBs, orders of magnitude faster I/O solution (229% faster, not taking into account the much better compression. Also remember that due to architectural constraints XSX cant even saturate its 2.4 GB/s raw speed while PS5 can do so), BT 5.1 and WIFI6 (makes wireless VR possible) and other things like better cooling solution, much better controller etc. If you consider all of this, PS5 definitely becomes the more powerful console and "only a deluded fanboy will argue otherwise".

its all about those flops man, nah seriously i understand the tech and im not dissin the PS5's hardware but lets face it, when it comes to pure out and out muscle a 3080 is gonna produce better graphics/framerate than a 3070 no matter what esle you have in your system, hence why i'm gonna hold off until a truly next gen game comes out on both systems so i can compare exactly how big the difference is gonna be, if its imperceptable to the naked eye except on a Digital Foundry 400% zoomed section, then i'll probably swing PS5, but if were talking early PS4/X1 differences where it was clearly noticable then the decision will be harder to make..

Plantoid

Ony reason I'm not getting both consoles is because I don't have the money, here in my country each ps game costs me 1/3 of the minimum wage, I can eat the whole month with this amount of money

Ms's gamepass is 45$ (ps games 300$) so it's a nobrainer for me,

But If I had the money, ps + xbox for sure, ps exclusives are too good

DavidGzz

If I could only get one, it would be the XSX because I would get much more for a lot less $. Thankfully, I am blessed and don't have to choose. 1 more month and I'll be eating good.

its all about those flops man, nah seriously i understand the tech and im not dissin the PS5's hardware but lets face it, when it comes to pure out and out muscle a 3080 is gonna produce better graphics/framerate than a 3070 no matter what esle you have in your system, hence why i'm gonna hold off until a truly next gen game comes out on both systems so i can compare exactly how big the difference is gonna be, if its imperceptable to the naked eye except on a Digital Foundry 400% zoomed section, then i'll probably swing PS5, but if were talking early PS4/X1 differences where it was clearly noticable then the decision will be harder to make..
Hmm I understand your concern now. You worry that one system may push more framerate/ res than the other. Well, so far, things have been equal between the two but i am fairly certain that if ever their was a discrepancy between the two, it would be XSX pusing native 4k and PS5 doing 3k something dynamic. Framerate options will always be equal between the two due to the powerful CPU in both. Still, no reason to get xsx over ps5. And I agree with you completely, lets just wait for a true next gen game to make the decision; sadly next gen seems to be coming only to ps5 at launch...

HF2014

Iv looked at my library of exclusive games iv bought and enjoyed on PS4, and its very slim. Bloodborne is the game that will make me keep my PS4. Enjoyed Ratchet and Clank, GT Sports, Driveclub , but after that, well, i realise its a console i did not enjoy as much as PS3.

Looking at Xbox well there is all the Forza game ( grabbed a XB1S recently ), Gears series, and thats about it.

So both system in a way in term lf exclusive are pretty limited, for my liking, but one thing im really considering that could make a difference is Gamepass. So since i switch because of RROD on 360 , i never looked back, Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne were the exclusive that made do my choice, but this time its different. Were getting Demons Souls Remake. And that the problem. Im not going to spend 500$ just to play a remake, even if it look amazing.

Im really not set on my decision, but if there is no exclusive new Souls games on PS5 ( like Bloodborne 2! ), and Forza Horizon 5 is coming out, well, i might switch back to XB, considering there is gamepass there too. But im really waiting for a slim version of Series X, good lord, this machine look like a freaking monster! 😁

Tulipanzo

Frankly, a device that plays the same games at the same performance, but without any exclusives sounds useless.
But you do you OP

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I say if anyone that has to pick one and is on the fence.. just wait a few months. We have seen very little hands on gameplay and ZERO game comparisons.

ZywyPL

Banned

You know, there's a guy in here with a custom tag "posts in tech threads, does not understand", but I think this title should be yours.

DavidGzz

Frankly, a device that plays the same games at the same performance, but without any exclusives sounds useless.
But you do you OP

MS has 23 studios now and Game Pass which will have games from all of those studios on day 1 without the $70 price tag that Sony exclusives will have. I know most if not all Sony fanboys own rigs with 2080ti's or better, but most of us don't. It's crazy, I know.

Matsuchezz

What is it with all the "how about switching to Xbox" threads coming up again and again lmao.

Some people reeeeeally wants MS to be numero 1. And they keep trying to implant the idea of switching sides if you are on the Sony camp.
Some people will be like:
How about switching to Xbox?

I for one know what the games i like are and the quality I am expecting from Sony first party games will be.
Xbox Gamepass looks enticing for indie games, but for 1st party games even with the Bethesda acquisition those games are not for me. They lack something that makes them underwhelming to my eyes and are emotionless. The only one different will be Senua II I know tameem creates games filled with emotions as we have seen in previous Ninja Theory games. And the actors are good. I will buy and XsX once that game is available.

Last edited:
MS has 23 studios now and Game Pass which will have games from all of those studios on day 1 without the $70 price tag that Sony exclusives will have. I know most if not all Sony fanboys own rigs with 2080ti's or better, but most of us don't. It's crazy, I know.

Does not matter because we won't see most of those games from those studios for another 2-3 years.

I am getting both consoles day 1 but if I had to chose one the PS5 is a no-brainer because it has more to offer this year and next year. The Series X will not have any notable exclusive until Halo comes out next year and based on what we have seen from that game it might not be worth the hype.

Last edited:

Soodanim

PS5 and XSX look like they're both going to be very good, well designed products with varying but equally valid approaches to various things. If one has more advantages for you, then go for it. There's no harm in waiting for a few months to see how the early adopters fare and how games being released start to look. I've always been PlayStation, but I would be just as happy with an XSX.

Last edited:

ShigeruMiyamoto

Neo Member
I'm in the same situation and thus far I'm leaning toward the Series X even though it would cut me off from my sizable PS4 game collection.

Some factors that still have me on the fence a bit:
  • Borderlands 3 is getting a free next gen upgrade and I have it and the season pass on the PS4, I still have half of the DLC expansions to play from the first season pass and they just announced a second one. It would be nice to get the free next gen bump but I can't if I switch to Xbox.
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales looks quite good and I enjoyed the Spider-Man game on PS4 (which I am only about halfway through). Getting a visual upgrade for that game so I can finish it and play the sequel would be good, especially with Spider Cat that they just showed off. Buuuut, I could also just get Miles Morales on the PS4 Pro and not be such a graphics/performance whore about it.
  • I did the get 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for cheap deal back when it was first a thing so I still have a good amount of time I've paid on that so I would be getting the big releases (especially from Zenimax studios, who I very much enjoy) for "free". It would also save me money by not having to also pay for PS Plus.
  • I loved the Xbox 360 to death back in the day and went 360 -> PS4. Already have lots of friends on my Xbox account and everything plus a big GamerScore that I could continue building. I also have tons of 360 and a couple Xbox One games that would very much benefit from the great older generation upgrades games are getting on the Series X.
  • I have a decent gaming PC with a GTX 980 graphics card so I could just use my GamePass on there while having a PS5 for the Sony exclusives (which I also like a lot), but the graphics whore in me knows I'd be sad to be playing a lot of those Xbox/PC games on a graphics card that only has like half of the power of the Series X
  • I have a 1080p 65" plasma TV that I am not planning on upgrading any time soon so whether or not menus/games etc reach full 4K/HDR/120fps is a complete non-issue for me
  • I always fill up the storage space on consoles and have been fighting with the 1TB of storage on my PS4 Pro (particularly with stupid CoD MW taking up 8 billion GB). With standard NVMe support on the PS5 it could potentially be cheaper to get myself an extra TB or two of storage than with the Series X's proprietary card things (especially with how much space a ton of GamePass games would be taking up).
So yeah, since I'm not independently wealthy I'm still leaning toward the switching from the PS4 to the Series X as the most economical choice to cover most of my gaming needs in the near future, but if I do it's really going to sting having to make so many compromises with my PS4 backlog.

I think you’ll be fine, you can deal with it even if you end up not liking it. Just don’t buy the console for it to be getting dust instead of playing games, and this goes for either console.

Top Bottom