• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whose thinking of switching? PS->XB

Moogle11

Banned
PS will remain my main, followed by Switch (and its eventual successor) as I love so many of Sony and Nintendo’s first party games.

Xbox stuff I played on PC this generation, but will get a Series X this time. Just didn’t use the PC as much as I thought and don’t care enough about getting the absolute best graphics and performance to pay current GPU and CPU prices to upgrade from my old 970/4790k.

Reactions: Isa

ruvikx

Banned
It’s called having both?

I've been getting both Xbox & PS since pretty much forever, i.e. the only "deciding" factor is which is cheaper (yep) + which has the better games first. 14 years ago I got the 360 first, whilst this gen I got the ps4 first. Right now I can't get either so I'll wait until spring before I make a choice.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Just do what I did at the news of bethesda, inxile, and obsidian being bought /assimilated by M$.

I built a new gaming pc. My old rig was a 3.2ghz i3 8gb ddr3, and replaced the gpu to a stop gap 1650 super oc card earlier in the summer.

I built a Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2ghz, 16gb ddr4 3.6ghz (which boosts the infinity fabric to 1.8ghz), a 512gb ssd (for windows and games that need it) , 2tb HD, b550 mobo with wifi6, pcie gen4, a evga 500 watt psu, thermaltake h18 versa tempered glass case and 4 fans. All for under $500.

I did this because I couldn't get a ps5 pre ordered and baldur's gate 3 needs quad core plus. My old dually i3 wasn't going to cut it. I threw in my 1650 super and I get max fPS in all games @1080p.

Now I can play all those elder scrolls games, and such if they don't come to ps5. I will still buy a ps5 when it's available. Add to that my existing switch and I am set for everything, console, pc and portable. No xbone 2.0 required.

To me this is the killer combo. I did the same thing at the start of ps4 and didn't even think of upgrading pc until now. I probably could of waited longer but the new reqs and bethesda news had me pull the trigger. It's also easy to hookup your pc to a TV if you want couch action.

So like you I have 200plus games just from ps plus alone, not counting games on disk and ones I bought on psn. I'm not throwing all that away as I never finished most.

I think what Microsoft did was anti consumer and crap. I get its a good business decision but I care not about their business, especially when said company gobbles up other companies like a shark.

If you buy an xbone2 sure you will get the bethesda games but you will miss out on ps exclusives, past catalog, and great pc exclusives like mount and blade 2, baldur's gate 3, all the paradox games, indies and best versions of multiplats.

manzo

Falcom games ain’t coming on Xbox, so no.

although i will get an series x at some point when the japanese 360 support is spotless.

retsof624

I’m not “switching”, but I’m making Xbox my primary console next gen. I plan on getting a PS5 down the line

Sw0pDiller

When you are happy with how PlayStation served you last gen.... Why change? I can always add a xbox but I'll start with the system that gives me the games I like and love (demons souls and Spiderman)

ruvikx

Banned
Just do what I did at the news of bethesda, inxile, and obsidian being bought /assimilated by M$.

I built a new gaming pc.

No thank you. I have limited time to play games after a long day, ergo I'd rather not spend time in the ini file or the nvidia settings screwing around with vsync on/off before I can relax & play my game.

More power to the guys who love tinkering, but from experience PC is furthest from a hassle-free "pick up & play" experience there is.

It's all about the games for me, couldn't care less that the XSX is more powerful. I'll probably pick up a PS5 before I pick up a XSS or XSX. But this will be the first generation where I'm considering getting both. And thats because of Elder Scrolls and Avowed(?)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Owned every Playstation since 1995. This will be the first time I buy an Xbox at launch. Getting the Series X. It will be my main platform this generation.

Have a PS5 pre-ordered too but will only use it to play my PS4 games and any PS5 exclusives. So far the only PS5 exclusives I am interested in are Demon's Souls + Horizon Forbidden West. Would've cancelled the pre order if I had to pay for it myself. Only reason I kept it was because someone offered to give me the money for it as a Christmas present.

The console I decided to spend my own money on is the Xbox Series X. I only pre ordered the PS5 in case I couldn't get an Xbox. My plan was to wait a few years and get the PS5 once there was a Slim revision + Price drop + more than 2 exclusives that interested me.

I went with Xbox because 1) more powerful hardware 2) 8 exclusive games that I want to play 3) GamePass 4) backwards compatibility 5) I prefer Xbox controllers 6) prefer the Series X design over PS5.

Owned every Playstation since 1995. This will be the first time I buy an Xbox at launch. Getting the Series X. It will be my main platform this generation.

Have a PS5 pre-ordered too but will only use it to play my PS4 games and any PS5 exclusives. So far the only PS5 exclusives I am interested in are Demon's Souls + Horizon Forbidden West. Would've cancelled the pre order if I had to pay for it myself. Only reason I kept it was because someone offered to give me the money for it as a Christmas present.

The console I decided to spend my own money on is the Xbox Series X. I only pre ordered the PS5 in case I couldn't get an Xbox. My plan was to wait a few years and get the PS5 once there was a Slim revision + Price drop + more than 2 exclusives that interested me.

I went with Xbox because 1) more powerful hardware 2) 8 exclusive games that I want to play 3) GamePass 4) backwards compatibility 5) I prefer Xbox controllers 6) prefer the Series X design over PS5.
Who do you know who would give a $500 console as a gift. A millionaire? I never received a Christmas present over $200.
Seems like one hell of a gift.
Here have a car, you take a ps5, merry Christmas. Lol (I'm jealous, but more power to you.)

It always shocks me how much money people on this board have in the middle of a pandemic. People casually spending $1500 for a geforce card and another 1k on 2 consoles like its nothing.

As for 8 exclusives, which ones. I didn't tho k Xbox had any exclusives until next year as halo got delayed.

I asked this before but “anti consumer” against who? Since when Microsoft needs to care about Nintendo or Sony costumers?
Its taking games and franchises away from people. They don't have to do anything but optically it makes them look greedy. A timed exclusive fine or buying an indie dev or building a new studio are good things to do. Ms purposely bought these studios to prevent Sony and ps customers from western rpgs. There was a strategy in getting inexile, obsidian, and bethesda... All single player focused devs. They knew many ps players (myself included) love single player rpgs so they bought these multiplatform devs who would be making games for Xbox anyway. The only reason is to prevent others from playing them. So they have to buy an xbone2.

I don't like epic store exclusives either (even if they are timed). I like getting my games at a few select platforms. Having too many consoles and launchers suck. It means more money from your wallet. Especially when these games were going everywhere to begin with. If Sony bought from software or square Enix I would call that a crap anti gamer move too.

Only one I wouldn't say that to is if one bought Konami as they haven't been releasing anything and I would rather someone fund them than no new castlevania, silent hill, suikoden, etc...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They knew many ps players (myself included) love single player rpgs so they bought these multiplatform devs who would be making games for Xbox anyway. The only reason is to prevent others from playing them.
Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are in business of making money just like any other business out there. They are not charity work and they are not your friend, they will do what they have to in order to bring more consumers.....its that simple.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Not getting either of them day one. There's no need imo, and the value will only get better after the first 6mo-yr

Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are in business of making money just like any other business out there. They are not charity work and they are not your friend, they will do what they have to in order to bring more consumers.....its that simple.
This. I think people forget that a business is a business and it’s purpose is to make money.

Colin Moriarty said it on the latest episode of Sacred Symbols but if it was the opposite and Sony had bought Zenimax then you can sure as hell bet that it would be 100% exclusive. Corporations aren’t your friend. They don’t care about you. They care about money.

Even Microsoft/Xbox with their everybody has the right to play our games and their play anywhere idea is only for their benefit. More ways to make money.

Raphael

If you switch from PS to Xbox, you'll switch to PC shortly after. It's a natural evolution.
Xsx is like a fantastic value pc. Minus k+m, mods and many strategy games sadly. But to get the same performance on a pc you would have to spend at least twice that, probably 3x given the closed architecture optimization benefit. So its a great deal. Sure if you want the very best and have that kind of money to spare then pc is the best option.

Last edited:

1/ , 2/ and 5/
You will regret you choice.

Switched from Ps4 to XBX Series x because of gamepass and bathesda. I will seriously miss Sony exclusives though.

Careful admitting your switching though. Been accused of being a fake account by many a fanboi on this forum.... Because people couldn't possibly switch over to MS!

Last edited:

geordiemp

Its funny seeing these threads, last gen we had a flurry of them as well before launch.

Pls believe me, I have been on Xbox for 20 years but I am shifting because of phil :messenger_beaming:

teezzy

Banned
Always love hearing of people seeing what Xbox us all about. With GamePass, more raw power, Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable, the new studios and Bethesda... they're really about to convert a lot of Playstation heads. Just wait until people catch wind of "a new Skyrim" and "a new Halo" only being on Xbox. If Microsoft plays their cards right, we're in for a wild ride

Needlecrash

Real talk. If Demon's Souls Remake comes to PC, I'll probably not get a PS5. Maybe later on when the PS4 hits end of life in 2022.

Boss Man

I got PS2, PS3, and PS4 at launch but will probably start with Xbox this time around. Gamepass is just such a great value and so is the hardware. Also, western RPGs are my favorite games and Xbox has gone big there.

I guess you could build a PC (over $1000 I’m guessing for Series X specs?) for gamepass + third parties and then buy Nintendo and Sony consoles for exclusives, but that just doesn’t seem very reasonable to me. I also want a console OS for the couch, and last I checked SteamOS is the closest but not really viable.

Another knock on Sony is that, while I appreciate their dedication to growing their first party studios, I just don’t tend to enjoy their games very much. God of War was amazing, but that was it for me last gen. I think I just don’t like the cinematic games. Never was able to get into TLOU. Personally (and it’s super subjective I know), I’m more excited to see what the new Fable game is like, what Obsidian does with their new fantasy RPG (and potentially with access to Bethesda IPs), and for TESVI in three years or whenever than anything from Sony. We’ll see if they come up with something new though. The controller at least has me intrigued and I wish Xbox had an updated OS like PS5 has.

Last edited:

edbrat

No reason to invest in next gen with Xbox until they have some next gen games shaped reasons to do so. Gamepass does nothing for me, I don't play that many games and I'm happy to buy the ones I do.

reptilex

Banned
Me. I've had Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4 but I'm not interested about the fat ugly boring PS5 mess.

I'll go XBX for sure and will wait for a mid-gen refresh if they finally manages to design a decent console that is not a catastrophy and the catalogue can actually follow.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Me. I've had Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4 but I'm not interested but the fat ugly boring PS5 mess.

I'll go XBX for sure and will wait for a mid-gen refresh if they finally manages to design a decent console that is not a catastrophy and the catalogue can actually follow.

Spoken like a true gamer 😂

Fitzchiv

Impossible to not own a PS system as long as it have high production value exclusives like until now

What if those exclusives don't ring your bell? Genuine question as I'll be honest the only game from the last couple of years I've seen on PS that I wish I could play is Death Stranding

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Me. I've had Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4 but I'm not interested but the fat ugly boring PS5 mess.

This post just reeks of complete horseshit.

Always love hearing of people seeing what Xbox us all about. With GamePass, more raw power, Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable, the new studios and Bethesda... they're really about to convert a lot of Playstation heads. Just wait until people catch wind of "a new Skyrim" and "a new Halo" only being on Xbox. If Microsoft plays their cards right, we're in for a wild ride

If gears, halo, forza and fable would be good enough reason to get xbox to a gamer = PS gamers would already have switched sides. Aka those that havent, dont probably care less about those games

So, counting those as reason to swich sides doesnt work.

Now they have Bethesda = still not big reason unless gamer is super interested in bethesda games and they are xbox exclusives (they are not, they are on PC at least)

Just pointing out that this gears,halo,forza trio is really boring/un-interesting to many and add zero value. Personally I think those are boring as fuck, but fable is cool. But I need 20-40 interesting games to consider xbox as second system and nothing would be enough to get it as only system

It's like someone would claim that mario&friends are enough to move xbox gamers to nintendo.

People have chosen their system for a reason, and if they dont like gearshaloforza = ms needs much much more than Bethesda to steal Sonys/nintendos customers.

What havent been enough earlier, isnt enough in the future.

teezzy

Banned
If gears, halo, forza and fable would be good enough reason to get xbox to a gamer = PS gamers would already have switched sides. Aka those that havent, dont probably care less about those games

Now they have Bethesda = still not big reason unless gamer is super interested in bethesda games and they are xbox exclusives (they are not, they are on PC at least)

Just pointing out that this gears,halo,forza trio is really boring/un-interesting to many and add zero value. Personally I think those are boring as fuck, but fable is cool. But I need 20-40 interesting games to consider xbox as second system and nothing would be enough to get it as only system

It's like someone would claim that mario&friends are enough to move xbox gamers to nintendo.

People have chosen their system for a reason, and if they dont like gearshaloforza = ms needs much much more than Bethesda to steal Sonys/nintendos customers.

Gears, Halo, and Forza have been enough for Xbox to hold their own the last two generations. Your personal opinion of those franchises doesn't alter that they're staples and some of the most well regarded franchises in the history of gaming.

Add Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom and whatever the hell else the other studios are working on and make them available via Game Pass on a more powerful machine with better BC support and Xbox sure as shit becomes a compelling option to a lot of people who wouldn't have considered them otherwise.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’ve tried to keep an open mind to both from the beginning. To my delight, that paid off, because they’ve both developed into cool, different systems that practically require owning both.

PS5:

-Apparently has a controller that feels like VR for your hands
-Tons of fun exclusives on the way, that all look well paced out
-Those exclusives generally target next-gen hardware only, are a handful of games actually doing this, and are on the cutting edge as a result
-Nerd reason, ok, but the OS looks awesome

Xbox:

-Xbox BC is amazing, transformative, and puts multiple generations of great games in play, instead of just new stuff
-Will likely have the best multiplats
-GamePass remains awesome
-Kind of dumb reason, but I like all the extra stuff Microsoft has done in the past few years, from controller customization, to the Elites, to X-Cloud, and others. They have a lot of cool things going on, tangential to the product.

No thank you. I have limited time to play games after a long day, ergo I'd rather not spend time in the ini file or the nvidia settings screwing around with vsync on/off before I can relax & play my game.

More power to the guys who love tinkering, but from experience PC is furthest from a hassle-free "pick up & play" experience there is.
pc gaming is pretty hassle-free to me. I don’t get the complaints around it. Stream, GOG and epic store are all pretty good at managing game catalogs. Xbox app is kinda weird during beta. It’s better now. When I need to play a game, I only need to double click the icon and DONE

Games now also automatically detect settings. So i don’t necessarily need to adjust settings if I don’t feel like to. But you get to choose frame rate vs resolution, which is finally available in nextgen.

On the contrary, to play a console game, I need to wake up the console, turn on the tv and sound system. I found it’s quite a commitment to start a console game. The nextgen feature does help. But in terms of hassle free, I actually prefer PC.

pixelation

People who dislike quality exclusive games and are fine waiting for years and years and years on end for a company to finally deliver on their many promises (next E3 is the one guys!... or wait for us a couple of years to finally deliver next gen exclusive games!).

martino

What if those exclusives don't ring your bell? Genuine question as I'll be honest the only game from the last couple of years I've seen on PS that I wish I could play is Death Stranding
Then don't buy it of course. Appreciation matter.

Njocky

Banned
Gears, Halo, and Forza have been enough for Xbox to hold their own the last two generations. Your personal opinion of those franchises doesn't alter that they're staples and some of the most well regarded franchises in the history of gaming.

Add Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Doom and whatever the hell else the other studios are working on and make them available via Game Pass on a more powerful machine with better BC support and Xbox sure as shit becomes a compelling option to a lot of people who wouldn't have considered them otherwise.
N

I think if they also bought EA and Rockstar they would still need to do “much much more” to steal YOU as a customer but I wouldn’t speak for others. Not everyone is affiliated to a console like to a political party.

Top Bottom