• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people cry during game announcements?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Crying over announcements is one thing.....but over a 'remaster' and a glorified DLC of a 6 year old game? Geez!

BTW....was everything in that direct a sequel, port, remaster or spin off? Ok, I think DecaPolice was new and that stupid fashion game....but I think EVERYTHING else was rehashed crap.

ahtlas7

Humans are emotional creatures. Right, Leo?
Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF

Pilgrimzero

I remember when they announced Final Fantasy 7 Remake and a bunch of Gen Z streamers lost their minds. Screaming crying etc

I was like “Dudes, I’ve had the original game since I drove to the store and bought it new at release, why the fuck are you screaming like it’s the 2nd coming?”

I was there. I was fully gripped in the Sephiroth weeb fan club. I imported action figures to hang on my wall. I was there. Trust me, FF7 isn’t the best one.

The best ones are 4&6. And I’d even say 8 and 10 are better. And I say trust knowing fully well the issues 8 has.

calistan

Now it's just people crying into a camera for likes and clicks. It's acting. I was at Nintendo's pre-E3 show in 2004, and that one was pretty intense and obviously a total surprise to all in attendance.

TheCed

Most of it is Youtube fake reaction stuff.

Reaction videos get clicks. So if you over react, you get more clicks.

Don't get me wrong, I understand having a reaction to something really unexpected or a long awaited anouncement. But if you react like this avery 2 or 3 trailers, it's for le clicks, nothing more than that.

I don't believe I've ever cried for an anouncement, but I do remember the Cloud and the Sephiroth Reveals for Smash got me to physically stand up and then being very exited for a few minutes before sitting back down.

WitchHunter

Banned
Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”. Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?
Brainwashed idiots, basement dwellers in mommy's dungeon. So living in a bubble, sleeping on Yoda pillows, having waifu girlfriends in vr and of course granma wipes their arse when they want to fart, but accidentally shit themselves . : DDDD

Or...

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”. Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?
Yes you’re cranky, I’ll cry for real when the MGS remake gets revealed, I’ll cry even harder if it looks like shit…What can I say, I love MGS 🥹

Like anything else, it just depends if you’re a cryer or not.

I myself never cry, like ever. But long-awaited game announcements, just like a movie or book that makes one cry, either happy or sad tears. I’d imagine it’s like that 🤷‍♂️

And, you know just because you don’t cry or I don’t cry, it doesn’t mean no one else should 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Hurahn7

Banned
I don't understand this shit either. I watched the direct8 after it was over so I could skip over the filler. I saw the Metroid announcement and I raised an eyebrow because my wife was playing it Wii and I was playing it on Wii U. We both started over and much prefer playing it with Pro Controllers.

Bigfroth

I always assume in the reactions with an extreme close-up on the face that right out of frame is a large onion cut up on a paper plate.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Don't judge me... I did cry at the end of Gravity Rush 2.

And also when they played their songs in Japan Studio VR.

I'm tough-minded, but Gravity Rush does make me cry... And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

SweetShark

Huh, I made a joke about buttcheeks clapping but I never wrote what I think about this.

To be fair I think crying is overreacting and I can't see myself crying for an announcement.
But screaming with excitement? Oh boy, YES! The recent announcement that made me scream was "Hades II" and I felt goOooOooOOOood...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They place far to much value on things that don't matter. Their life has not developed well rounded meaning. Also some people over react for the clicks.

Last edited:
I was there. I was fully gripped in the Sephiroth weeb fan club. I imported action figures to hang on my wall. I was there. Trust me, FF7 isn’t the best one.

The best ones are 4&6. And I’d even say 8 and 10 are better. And I say trust knowing fully well the issues 8 has.
Absolutely not. 6 is definitely up there but I will die on the hill that 10 sucks fucking ass... Damn man going from the cool dystopian setting, the horror and psychological themes of 7 to literally 40+ hours of a bunch of dudes with abs hanging out on the beach was some BS as a child. (And don't start with Lulu, she's a busted up hoe.) Plus in all seriousness the rock-paper-scissors battle system makes random encounters a chore. Ditching ATB is the one good thing the game did

On topic though I've never cried during a game announcement. That's absurd. It's either performative or these are people with emotional disorders of some kind.

Top Bottom