• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people cry during game announcements?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”. Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?
People cry because they know that they have to pay $70 .

Where as it could go to their pot addiction.

tenor.gif

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I tend to cry very easily with either movies, shows, or music that resonate with me deeply.

..Games, and especially game announcements- not so much.

Although, really...after 19 years of waiting...I'd be lying if I didn't have a similar reaction to the Metroid Dread announcement that Arlo had. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

CGNoire

Because there attention whores. Done.

The real thread we need to have is what kind of morons actually buy there tears as sincere since we have a couple posters in this very thread who fall under such a catagory.

Because there attention whores. Done.

The real thread we need to have is what kind of morons actually buy there tears as sincere since we have a couple posters in this very thread who fall under such a catagory.

For a moment I thought you meant some e-girl was selling her tears online, then I had a sip of coffee and actually processed what you read, and then I remembered the bathwater thing that happened and my mood sank again. Somebody out there is deffo selling tap water with a pinch of salt and making a killing out of it.

DelireMan7

People are happy. Some people cry when very happy. The source of happiness doesn't really matter.

I guess if you're extremely excited for a game to be announced and then it's finally announced after long years, it doesn't surprise me to cry for it.

Fredrik

It’s nostalgia, something you love from your childhood come back and pull your mind back to those moments and transfer some of the emotions back.

I felt nothing for Metroid Prime Remastered, I was already a cranky adult when the original released, but I think there is a possibility that I would shed some happy tears if a proper modernized The Last Ninja Unreal Engine 5 remake was shadow dropped with faithfully remastered SID music. 🥲

FeralEcho

Oof the reactions in here....You guys must have had some fucked up childhoods,I'm guessing no excitement in your lives which is even more pathetic than the ones you claim are pathetic.

To answer O.P. - Think about this:

Why do grown ass men cry their eyes out when their favourite sports team wins the championship after a long time? What a bunch of losers right? Well actually no because they are just invested in something they love,something that brings excitement in their lives(I know this must be a really hard concept to grasp for some people in this thread,deep breath guys,you can do it).So something like Argentina winning the world cup after so long elicits the same reaction as some poor guy that has had FFVII as his childhood game come back after 20 years as a remake because he was invested in that game the same way the sports fan was invested in his team.I doubt I'd cry If a Bloodborne 2 by From Software was announced but I'd sure as shit go apeshit in excitement at the announcement of it so I can understand someone getting emotional for his favourite game,movie etc.

Now obviously there are alot who do it for views as well,it's not all genuine but it's not your first day on the internet so I'm sure you can separate the two and avoid the fake garbage.

consoul

Reaction videos where people have no dramatic reaction tend to have low engagement.

Losing your shit to anything at all is much better.

Soodanim

Wait, as in they are *actually* crying or just overexaggerating and using "I am literally crying rn" as a turn of phrase?

I have yet to see any streamer genuinely cry at any announcement that wasn't a mentally stunted manchild. I do see a lot that are super hyped and smiling - but I mean that is rather normal.

The only balanced and appropriate response I've read so far. I would add that a lot of the comments of people saying "I'm literally crying right now" are most likely just hyperbole. I'm guessing very few actually mean that literally. As for the reaction videos, I do think that is a different thing. Most of the time, those people are just creating content for clicks. Intense reactions = clicks, plus it may also illicit a sympathetic/empathetic response from viewers. I think most of the time they are being insincere though. Nonetheless, I do believe some people can have an honest "tears of joy" reaction. It's rare though, and I've only seen it happen with people that are heavily invested into something, or that it has personal meaning for them (ie. helped them through rough times or is attached to a loved one). Some of you people are going way to hard on the "soyboy angle" here. Sometimes it's OK to cry and be vulnerable, it doesn't make you any less of a man.
Despite the fuck up it causes in conveying ideas--the entire point of language--society seems to be okay with the bastardisation of "Literally", a word that is used for the express purpose of clarifying that you're not being hyperbolic, as part of hyperbolic speech. I've see people use some old literary use by Mark Twain as a defence, as if people who abuse the word are reading anything but their social media feeds and as if an old and extremely rare use in fiction justifies the modern use that appeared in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Oof the reactions in here....You guys must have had some fucked up childhoods,I'm guessing no excitement in your lives which is even more pathetic than the ones you claim are pathetic.

Why do grown ass men cry their eyes out when their favourite sports team wins the championship after a long time? What a bunch of losers right? Well actually no because they are just invested in something they love,something that brings excitement in their lives(I know this must be a really hard concept to grasp for some people in this thread,deep breath guys,you can do it).So something like Argentina winning the world cup after so long elicits the same reaction as some poor guy that has had FFVII as his childhood game come back after 20 years as a remake because he was invested in that game the same way the sports fan was invested in his team.I doubt I'd cry If a Bloodborne 2 by From Software was announced but I'd sure as shit go apeshit in excitement at the announcement of it so I can understand someone getting emotional for his favourite game,movie etc.

Now obviously there are alot who do it for views as well,it's not all genuine but it's not your first day on the internet so I'm sure you can separate the two and avoid the fake garbage.
Have to admit I have seen friends get some tears when their team won the championship. Fortunately, I'm a fan of the Arizona Cardinals and will never be forced to face that embarrassing situation.

Majukun

high emotion are entertaining thus often faked by "reaction content" creators.

If all those videos contained was them acting like adult beings, they wouldn't get many views

of course there are the ones that get their following by actually analyzing stuff, having interesting points of views and just sprinkling a bit of sane enthusiasm on the interesting and hype announcement...but it's much easier to just fake that everything is awesome and OMG

Tams

Dude Cricket lasts for literal days, then again there are so many Baseball games in a season
Lol, I don't watch test cricket. Might as well watch paint dry. Even then though, more tends to be going on at any given time than baseball.

T20 is much better.

But on the whole, I find watching sports boring.

Tams

Yep. They need to grow a pair of balls. They didn't do anything to contribute to the win either.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
don't forget the strong use of hyperbole in the English language and especially American culture. If something wasn't "amazing" or "awesome" but merely "good" most people there would think it was actually bad or average at best. Even the word 'literally' itself isn't to be taken literal.

Just think of all the strong metaphors like "I'm dying" or "the hill [someone's willing] to die on".

American English just has it with superlatives and extreme imagary.

So most people when they say they're crying mean that's very emotional for them, but they most likely don't cry in a literal sense.

And if you mean Youtubers, we'll they get money for reactions/interactions. so they themselves go with it head on. Just look at all those exaggerated thumbnails people doing weird faces on. That's what sells. That's how you get clicks. Works perfectly in harmony with a modern society going in hard for extremes and a language that keeps up amazingly well with that.
I like this explanation. People say it as an exaggeration. The saying caught on as a popular enough meme that it is repeated enough that you have probably come across it a few times. Stupid Youtubers took it literally and acted it out, quite possibly because they thought people did cry. And now some people do cry because they copied the Youtubers. Cultural evolution at it saddest.

Mephisto40

Probably the same reason every star wars youtuber cried when Luke Skywalker appeared in the Mandalorian for the first time

Aion002

Most of them are for the views/likes, while other's are a little too emotional.

Anyway, reaction videos sucks. Laziest form of "entertainment".

Markio128

Gold Member
It’s pretty harsh in here. Playing devils advocate, it’s possible that certain games trigger a special memory of something else associated with them, like with music, or anything really.

Just emotionally stunted dudes.
Usually single 30somethings with ASD.

I went to GameXplain to see if they had spotted some cool details in the trailers and was met with this Metroid reaction.

He's acting like somebody who just had their son rescued from a burning building.

Why is cross-eyed Harry Kane crying?

Top Bottom