• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people cry during game announcements?

Fuz

Banned
I cry into different jars and label them by showcase.
Ex4zxBNUcAAC7pi.jpg

Fbh

Same reason people on talk shows are so fake friendly, it's just acting to try and be more engaging

dem

My kids have been watching youtubers like PrestonPlayz lately... and the fake "overly excited about everything" manner of speaking drives me insane.

I started having conversations with them in my "Preston voice" to show them how fucking stupid it is.

If they start talking like that... I will disown them.

Last edited:

nikos

They haven't experienced enough in life to form a proper sense, or scale, of emotion. Just look at most people on twitter.

If they're "content creators," it's for views.

EDIT: There are, of course, exceptions to this. Usually sentimental, nostalgic, or more personal reasons; none of which anybody with a facial reaction thumbnail have.

Last edited:
Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”.
For a realistic answer, it's because those certain game announcements bring them back to a time when they were a child and they were most likely playing that game or franchise, for the first time, during a pivotal point in life. That moment caused the game to really leave an impact on them. That moment could also be connected to an old relative who might have played that older video game with them and are now deceased, which means that seeing that game be accessible again could bring up those precious memories, thus making the person become emotional. Nintendo is really good at leading with nostalgia first in order to grab the attention of those people, and they make you remember about the old dusty Gameboy or N64 you left in the basement and forgot about.

While this is nice for the people who love it, I personally felt that this latest Nintendo direct lineup felt very similar to what the releases were like near the PS Vita's final years. It's a death rattle of re-releases and obscure JRPGS that tells me a successor should happen, but for some reason has not yet.

Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?
Some are, some aren't. It's hard to verify which are which unless you watch enough of a specific reactor to know what's real and what's not. I don't think you're cranky, I just think that either you don't have that sort of emotional attachment or nostalgia for video games(maybe Nintendo games), or you, like many others who are a bit older on here and elsewhere, had a higher percent chance of being raised in a very old school fashion(like being told that men don't cry or show emotion) and thus bottled things up over the years, which has lead to this moment and this thread of not understanding another person's emotion or childlike excitement. Something about it bothered you internally enough to make this thread and I'm curious to know what that was.

YukiOnna

I get excited enough to do that on certain game announcements, so different people feel... differently depending on their attachment to a title.
That said, I think those that record it for reactions are simply doing it for views and are expected to by their audience.

Crying over a video game announcement is just pathetic. Anybody who does this must truly be detached from reality.
They just interact with reality on a different set of rules 🤷‍♂️

Someone would make the same comment about you and your judgment call if they just discovered what an online forum is for the first time and it happened to be GAF.

Knightime_X

Educated guess:

I think some where heavily sheltered as a kid, so what's normal to us is exciting to them.
And what's exciting to us is overkill for them causing emotional overload.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They just interact with reality on a different set of rules 🤷‍♂️

Someone would make the same comment about you and your judgment call if they just discovered what an online forum is for the first time and it happened to be GAF.

False equivalence.

This is a hobby forum. I don't wake up in the morning and cry tears of joy from opening up Neogaf. I don't fap till I'm raw from seeing somebody post a new video game thread.

MiguelItUp

I mean, people saying "literally" anything is hard to even take literal these days. So, it's often just a saying. That being said. Video games can mean a lot to some people. Much like music, movies, books, etc. to others.

Some games, IPs, etc. could have a really strong and important connection to some people. Maybe it helped them get through a lot, maybe it was something a loved one loved that is no longer alive, etc. There's plenty of reasons. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I wanted to add that I've never been a fan of the whole reaction video thing. It's often been really strange to me, and almost always feels ingenuine.

Last edited:

SHA

I'll do it if Kojima announced a new metal gear solid game cause I don't feel getting older with it.

Moriah20

some of ya'll going a bit too hard lol

i mean yea there's obviously a culture around overreaction which is pretty fucking embarassing.

but like, i dunno. lots of "normal" people have euphoric reactions to long awaited sequels, announcements, and i think thats... fine, and endearing even. They're just happy. CONSOOM and all, but most of us live pretty boring lives, so you gotta count the little moments.

Last edited:

mnkl13

well i think people make faces and have strong reactions on game announcements when their livelihood is dependent on games, and people cry on game announcements when they have nothing else to live for but games.

This is a hobby forum. I don't wake up in the morning and cry tears of joy from opening up Neogaf. I don't fap till I'm raw from seeing somebody post a new video game thread.
Maybe someone here does, but why care about it if they do? It's the same reason why I'm saying why would they care about it if a random forum poster complains or judges them for it? Every single life is a dice roll and they rolled at a high enough number to where they can record their emotional response to it. That's great. I guess I just don't care enough to be so upset about it like some are here. It's the same way most average people don't care about if a billionaire is depressed to the point of self-deletion or if a sweatshop worker is dying across the pond, and neither party care about each other as well 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure if we dug deep enough we could find that one childhood item, for each person here that would make them break down emotionally, that would be utterly meaningless to another person.

Kacho

but like, i dunno. lots of "normal" people have euphoric reactions to long awaited sequels, announcements, and i think thats... fine, and endearing even. They're just happy. CONSOOM and all, but most of us live pretty boring lives, so you gotta count the little moments.
Yeah, it's fun to shitpost excitedly in the moment. But the fake over the top reactions or even crying about an announcement is weird.

Still, I'll take enthusiasm over the jaded bitterness that is all too common these days.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Maybe someone here does, but why care about it if they do? It's the same reason why I'm saying why would they care about it if a random forum poster complains or judges them for it? Every single life is a dice roll and they rolled at a high enough number to where they can record their emotional response to it.
The thread was open to opinions. I gave mine, but don't confuse my opinion with actually caring about it. I'm not starting a movement to stop people from crying over product announcements from billion dollar corporations. I do however, think it's cringe and pathetic.

I doubt the people who participate in this practice really care about my opinion either.

Raven117

Gold Member
This is one of the reasons I can't help myself but to cry during Zelda game announcements. My grandpa introduced me to the original Zelda in 1986. I was enthralled by this game - the first game I remember being absolutely sucked into. We played the hell out of this game together - we drew maps, found all the secrets, even for the second quest. It's one of my most cherished memories of when he was alive.

He got me a subscription to Nintendo Power (and kept it up for YEARS even though I was in college and wasn't gaming as much). We played through Zelda 2 together (and did the collective "this isn't anything like the first game!" simultaneously). A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening. By the time Ocraina of Time rolled around, his health was on the decline. I played the game, and would tell him about my adventures. He hung in there for a while, but passed away shortly after Twilight Princess was announced. He would have absolutely LOVED Breath of the Wild.

So yes, games (and even game announcements) can make people emotional.
The only acceptable time to cry at a video game announcement.

Other than that…. Especially if you are a grown ass man, get a handle on yourself

Poplin

different people experience the world differently. some are more prone to feeling things deeply, and nostalgia can then trigger overwhelming emotion. Others dont feel much at all. OP, consider empathy. OP you dont need to understand why, not everyone processes the world the way you do, and that's their right.

Brigandier

I always cringe at the "omg I'm literally crying right now" "I cried so hard during this announcement" posts that happen around E3.

Like cool be excited and happy that something you really enjoy or have been wanting for years but crying?.

Tears of joy when your child is born or a family member survives a health scare absolutely but a video game being announced... Good lord.

Last edited:

PSYGN

I need to see this, where is this so I can point and laugh. Only Half Life 3 announcement by Gabe should make a man cry.

Last edited:
They cry during game announcements? I think I've seen one or maybe two in my entire life, but I didn't know this was a trend. Yeah, they are probably trying to get clicks or attention I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom