• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people cry during game announcements?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, it's fun to shitpost excitedly in the moment. But the fake over the top reactions or even crying about an announcement is weird.

Still, I'll take enthusiasm over the jaded bitterness that is all too common these days.
That's my thing. Getting excited for something makes sense. You're enthusiastic for whatever the thing is.

Crying though, I mean if it reminds you of a special relative or something, I can see that too. But crying solely because the reveal of something produces genuine tears, I just can't wrap my head around that. It's like carrying all this weight on your shoulders and an announcement somehow unloads the weight and the emotional rush is too much to bear and you start crying because you're so relieved. The issue I have is, why are you relying so much on a videogame to provide relief? Seems like a serious internal issue that should be dealt with in a serious manner.

Games can definitely help you through things but you gotta learn to deal with the ups and downs of life without having a crutch like that. Just seems unhealthy.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Because they’re mental

crazy-snow-white-crazy.gif

Last edited:

Hugare

Most cry like a bitch 'cause they are acting for viewers

But I may have droped one tear or two, in silence, when watching an emotional trailer (like The Last Guardian trailer)

Those shouting while crying and overreacting in general are so, so cringe, and I'm 100% with you on that OP

Lethal01

There's a difference between being EXCITED and what OP's talking about. I'd say the latter is too emotionally fueled. However, we as a society have gotten too soft and cant seem to internalize emotions (I.e. keep that shit to ourselves).
I mean I can easily keep my emotions to myself, but why would I want to unless I'm at work or some other important setting. Why hold back excitement when I'm in my own home? Or if you are in a stadium for "insert sport here" yes you CAN internalize your emotions and do a tiny little clap when your team is doing well, but that is a time and place where you should feel free to vocalize that you are happy.

But from other responses here it seems people hold tears to some super high regard and think you can only cry when you are literally at absolutely peak of your emotions because your child just died or something. I don't cry easy but it doesn't need to go that far.

I think it's fine for someone to shed a couple tears when they get something they've wanted a lot for like a decade. I wish I could cry easier, would help with my dry eye.

belmarduk

Eh
People are very passionate about gaming.
Nothing wrong with that.
I might have cried a little for Breath of the Wild, however there were no Tears of the Kingdom.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
post the video you pussy

Never saw the original one for this, lol.

Gotta admit tho, this one looks legit, the dude is actually crying out of excitement.

Most other "reactioners" just do retarded stuff.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”. Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?

Wait, as in they are *actually* crying or just overexaggerating and using "I am literally crying rn" as a turn of phrase?

I have yet to see any streamer genuinely cry at any announcement that wasn't a mentally stunted manchild. I do see a lot that are super hyped and smiling - but I mean that is rather normal.

Joey.

Anyone crying over a video game announcement needs serious help.
But, I like to believe that people aren’t this pathetic and it’s more of a performance/act to gain attention and views. Normal isn’t always interesting.

I get being excited but be real.

Nobody normal does this. I struggle to even imagine it's actually real.

It's performative. Someone sitting alone without a camera on them will have basically no reaction watching a trailer.
Exactly, most of the times if Im alone and its a game announcement Im excited for I don't even drop a smile. Im just blunt faced and taking in all the details. These guys squeeze onion juice before their stream starts. Its either that or they are just the type of people that because they have a 6 hour shift job and one day it got busy they broke down because they felt its worse than the Holocaust experience.

RafterXL

We have a neutered society so it’s expected.

And we have fake reactions, fake this, fake that, everything is just shallow. No substance.
People also don't grow up anymore. The vast majority of 20-30 year olds I know in RL are on the same level, in terms of mental maturity, as 10-15 year olds were just a few decades ago. I get not wanting to lose that inner child but these people take it to an unhealthy extreme. Also, for better or worse, easy living breeds soft people, and people are soft as marshmallows these days.

What elicits emotional reactions won't be the same for every single person. Isn't that obvious?
People cry from excitement in all sorts of situations. There's a lot of overlap with excitement that can result in "crying tears of joy". It's completely normal human behavior.
It's no different than passionate sports fans that become emotional over teams or from watching a game/match.

It's not about you being heartless or an old man. Game announcements just so happen to not do it for you.
You can pretty much poke fun at all sorts of things that people can cry over, so it's not exactly a bizarre behavior.

Edit: Just for clarification, are you asking about why people make reaction videos or are you asking why people get emotional over announcements? Because I think those are not technically the same thing.

The only balanced and appropriate response I've read so far. I would add that a lot of the comments of people saying "I'm literally crying right now" are most likely just hyperbole. I'm guessing very few actually mean that literally. As for the reaction videos, I do think that is a different thing. Most of the time, those people are just creating content for clicks. Intense reactions = clicks, plus it may also illicit a sympathetic/empathetic response from viewers. I think most of the time they are being insincere though. Nonetheless, I do believe some people can have an honest "tears of joy" reaction. It's rare though, and I've only seen it happen with people that are heavily invested into something, or that it has personal meaning for them (ie. helped them through rough times or is attached to a loved one). Some of you people are going way to hard on the "soyboy angle" here. Sometimes it's OK to cry and be vulnerable, it doesn't make you any less of a man.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As a cranky old man you shouldn't watch stupid influencer/wannabe reaction videos maybe, acting like a human doesn't get views.

Scotty W

Watching the direct live, a bunch of people were like “omg im literally crying!!” When they saw something they were excited for. Then i saw reaction videos where people were actually crying. Maybe im just a heartless old man, but shedding tears over game announcements seems way over the top to me. I feel like these are the same people who un-ironically say “lets gooo!”. Am i just a cranky old man, or are these reactions actually way over the top?

This is really hateful and triggering op and I really feel like you shouldn’t be judging so,… YEAH. Also you got this totes af gendered view of crying going on which is really rooted in ageist stereotypes like that crying is the province (helllllo colonialism) of little girls and boys. So this is my totally done with this face. Anyhoo, what is up with you and these really invasive and frankly, rapey questions. You gotta try and stick your nose into our emotional safespaces? Capitalism has given me sooo much trauma and when I see a game announcement I feel a resilience in my safespace. Tears are fear leaving tje body. One day, our crying will empower us to build a new heaven! And a new hell, which we will cast you into. And on that day, we will laugh at YOUR tears, bigot!

Top Bottom