• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't there been any innovative ways to make 30FPS better?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
some games runs really well at 30fps, it felt extremely smooth.

But most 30 fps games suck, and the input lag is even worse

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My TV has a function to interpolate 30 fps to 60 fps. Used it a lot in GTA 4 and 5.

I think there are already functions doing that.

Use them.
5Pr.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There must have been some other issues with it, otherwise it would have made it to the final version of the game, or patched in later via updates.
The main issue was lack of motion flow coverage, those consoles weren't up to it computationally yet.

Nor did any other future games try to use anything like it.
Except FSR and DLSS you mean? Algorithms are functionally the same, the main thing that's changed is the hw can handle 100x more compute making it more robust.
The primary flaws remain of course(latency penalty and occasional artifacts) but market is more accepting of them now i guess, after a decade of temporal accumulation effects stacking up.

And yes issues get worse the lower the framerate, same thing as reconstruction and TAA.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s simple. Look at bloodborne or ff16.
linear camera movement without sluggish slowing down and speeding up.
Low deadzones on controller.
No heavy vsync.
Good motion blur.

Demons souls remake 30fps feels terrible compared to bloodborne 30fps. Even if bloodborne got some stuttering issues, these never bothered me as much as tragic slow 30fps in remake. Makes no sense.
I would say that 30fps in bloodborne might control better than 60 in demons …

tusharngf

played so many games on x360 and ps3 on 30fps after that got my gtx970 and never looked back. The last title I played at 30 fps was Bloodborne, but I also got PS PRO for that later.

Three

KZ used temporal reconstruction for resolution only, iirc, not frame Gen, temporal reconstruction is used these days almost everywhere anyway.
Didn't say temporal reprojection is frame generation. That's one way of looking at it but I think you've missed the aim of the temporal reprojection. The aim was to make the multiplayer higher framerate than the singleplayer by alternatively updating pixels using motion vectors. It was a way of getting higher framerate at the expense of IQ. It was like frame extrapolation on half the pixels.

Frame Gen, as it is, would only really work with a base of 60 fps or higher. 30 fps won't work with it.

AFAIK AMD framegen works fine with a base 30fps.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

They should focus on 40 frames, which is a good sweet spot, and talk more about VRR rather than creating bullshit buzz terms like "creative choice" or "cinematic experience". I think most people still don't realize how much of a godsend VRR really is.

krumble

Maybe I don't get it, but occulus and valve solved this problem for VR back in 2015/6, surely if it worked to bring up frame rates for VR to stop everyone vomiting similar techniques would have been suitable in normal 3D games? But it's now 2024 and frame generation is only just becoming a thing? Like is said I'm not massively up on the technicality side of things, just seems that it's something that seems forgotten outside of custom solutions by individual developers

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because the average consumer doesn't give a shit. Some people in online enthusiast circles like GAF simply can't comprehend 30fps even existing, meanwhile most people playing their Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed games annually couldn't even tell you what a framerate is. Even with the new performance mode toggles, my best friend who's more of a casual game doesn't care, he just stays with whatever the default is.

Film makers with their 24 HZ obsession were relics. They're not accepting any improvements over time. And time definitely changed.

In my opinion all Films should be produced in 48 and higher.

Watching a film with fast and long camera movement is a mess and has nothing to do with natural seeing behavior.

When the camera moves there is nothing, absolute nothing visible sharp on the cinema screen. In the Mario movie, when Mario and Luigy accepts they first job and they're running through this Level to the job, you can't see anithing... a blurry mess.
Whats the good point with such scenes? Who the fuck arguing this to something we want?

Tom Cruise can shut off.

On my Homescreen with fine interpolation I can see those scenes in a whole Ne way. The better was. The way it should be. Because I can see details....in the way it looks when I look out of the driving car. I can read the letters on the truck etc etc.

Those people.... Man!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn't say temporal reprojection is frame generation. That's one way of looking at it but I think you've missed the aim of the temporal reprojection. The aim was to make the multiplayer higher framerate than the singleplayer by alternatively updating pixels using motion vectors. It was a way of getting higher framerate at the expense of IQ. It was like frame extrapolation on half the pixels.

Right that's what I'm saying, what was a novel concept then is readily used in almost every major engine now anyway, games are often internally reconstructed from lower resolutions like 1980x2160p etc to 4K anyway.

AFAIK AMD framegen works fine with a base 30fps.
I'm sure it works but AMD doesn't recommend it in any way.

Minimum frame rate​

FSR 3 Frame Generation runs best when interpolating from a minimum of 60 fps pre-interpolation (e.g. after upscale). Whilst FSR 3 can roughly double any input frame rate, going below 60 is not recommended. This is due to interpolation visual artifacts being more prominent at lower frame rates. Sub 30fps frame rate pre-interpolation should be absolutely avoided.

Z O N E

I hate that 60fps is not standard. It's shit that 30fps is still standard for some games, but I can still enjoy the games.

But remember we need 4k resolution and 8k resolution first before we even consider making 60fps standard. /s

King Dazzar

I whole heartedly believe that there could be a frame interpolation solution developed and used. Whilst you wouldnt get the latency of 60fps, you would remove all the panning judder. Samsung have done it before TV side for gaming with 30fps titles, whilst staying in game mode and with low TV processing latency. So I don't see why something cant be done console side. I think it would be amazing.

Top Bottom