• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I decided to limit my 144Hz monitor to 60Hz... Even when hardware is more than enough.

rofif

Banned
Lol that’s why I switched from 240hz to 4k60 back in the day. It ruined 60 fps for me and many games are locked to that. I more universally benefited from 4k than 240 fps.
Now 4k120 oled and that’s seems like a perfect spot.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
the-office.gif

Kenpachii

Limiting your 144hz screen to 60 hz is the most dumb shit i ever heard. So what if you play counterstrike and can get 144fps easily? u still run at 60?

If you really get a boner from 60, just limit the framerate with a framerate limited. Absolute zero reason to lower the hz as even simple shit as browsing websites will feel more janky.

It's like a Console user playing 1080p 30fps, while it can output 4k 30fps, because it ruins other games that can't do 4k.

It makes absolute no sense.

Whitecrow

Banned
- 60fps is smooth enough

- that feeling of smoothness is even more enhanced when you watch low fps stuff like movies, and series, many YT videos, or just from time to time games which are 30fps

- anything above 60fps is noticeably smoother, but that extra smoothness also ruins standard framerate in games

- 60fps as ideal standard for most people makes you more connected to your fellow gamers

- most people in the world will rarely, if ever, experience more than 60fps

- more fps requires more power, which means more money

- it's just a game; Metal Gear Solid, many Final Fantasy titles, Silent Hills (plural, not Kojima's thing), Pokemon, etc. are some of the most beloved titles in history of gaming, and they ran at 30fps, or lower

- fast paced multiplayer games suck anyway

- in life you learn that it is often necessary to lower your standards for happiness
PC fangirls tho like to get their expectations as high as possible then come here vent out their frustration sayin that devs should focus 4k at 120 fps.

I totally respect your opinion. I also have a 144 (240 actually ) hz monitor. But thevgames that can run at that fps are 3 of 300. Pointless.

HTK

Banned
If you're talking about action adventure, rpgs games and those single player experiences...sure. I rather have it at 60HZ with 4k and everything cranked to the highest possible setting. (That is if I can't have all the bells and whistles at 120fps).

But if we're talking about multiplayer games, nah bro 60FPS is hot garbage. It needs to be 120fps and above.

agree, it feels super weird and sluggish to move a mouse at 60hz when you are used to a 144hz monitor for several years lol
How do you even notice? I have a 144hz monitor and 3060ti. I cut the frame cap to 60, or 120 sometimes as my gpu draws too much power. Evga overclockex this thing and it goes up over 2050mhz range and sucks up 235+ watts. I cut down the fps and it uses less power and my Temps drop.

I'd rather protect my gpu by running lower clocks and temp than have it blow up like my 8800gts, 7870 and ps4 all did. With the lack of available replacements to me this is crutial over a few fps. Which makes little difference to me as I can't see it and play mostly single player strategy games, rpgs, open world, and city builders on pc.

Maybe I wouldn't care if gpus were buy able at msrp. Under clocked my card in x1 percison and limit the fps if it's getting too hot. I hate how high 60s low to mid 70c is considered normal for these cards.

1. Stop making stupid threads
  2. Work harder
And then you will be able to afford to upgrade your PC every couple of years without it being a burden, that way you won't need to arbitrarily limit yourself or "lower your standards" as you put it.
Have you seen the gpu market. A replacement is hard to get and at double to triple cost due to scalpers and miners. Ps5 and xsx are virtually unobtainable for people with lives, (those of us with wives, families, work, other hobbies and don't game 24x7).. Gpus are even harder to get.

I understand where op is coming from. I ubderclock my evga 3060ti and cap fps to 120 or less if the Temps get to high. I want this thing to last. If wouldn't care if miners and scalpers took a bullet, but they exist and drive up the prices..

For single player games 60hz is fine. Higher is better sure but it's not mandatory. I have 144hz monotor and will cap when my gpu Temps go above 65-70c. (I have 5 cooling fans this card just gets that hot even with its 3 fans)

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
How do you even notice? I have a 144hz monitor and 3060ti. I cut the frame cap to 60, or 120 sometimes as my gpu draws too much power. Evga overclockex this thing and it goes up over 2050mhz range and sucks up 235+ watts. I cut down the fps and it uses less power and my Temps drop.

I'd rather protect my gpu by running lower clocks and temp than have it blow up like my 8800gts, 7870 and ps4 all did. With the lack of available replacements to me this is crutial over a few fps. Which makes little difference to me as I can't see it and play mostly single player strategy games, rpgs, open world, and city builders on pc.

Maybe I wouldn't care if gpus were buy able at msrp. Under clocked my card in x1 percison and limit the fps if it's getting too hot. I hate how high 60s low to mid 70c is considered normal for these cards.
You shouldn't be drawing that much power on desktop or doing productivity. 144 vs 60 for just normal computer use is pretty noticeable.

A card drawing power won't hurt it, that is what it is designed to do. EVGA has a great warranty too.

Rickyiez

Dumb . I can never use 60hz on windows anymore after being spoilt by 144hz. There’s a reason why even Apple adopted “pro-motion”

Also fast paced MP games like Apex Legends rules , you’re crazy if you think they aren’t

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
100 euros per decade.

I met non-gamers and headstrong pirates who spent way more than that for games.
I know people who live in third world countries....scratch that...ghettos of third world countries where the price of a console is basically their whole salary....for multiple multiple months who have spent more than that on games.

Kenpachii

Your card doesn't blow up its made for it.

Also if your card overheats, it will underclock itself. This is already done for a while now.

GHG

Have you seen the gpu market. A replacement is hard to get and at double to triple cost due to scalpers and miners. Ps5 and xsx are virtually unobtainable for people with lives, (those of us with wives, families, work, other hobbies and don't game 24x7).. Gpus are even harder to get.

I understand where op is coming from. I ubderclock my evga 3060ti and cap fps to 120 or less if the Temps get to high. I want this thing to last. If wouldn't care if miners and scalpers took a bullet, but they exist and drive up the prices..

For single player games 60hz is fine. Higher is better sure but it's not mandatory. I have 144hz monotor and will cap when my gpu Temps go above 65-70c. (I have 5 cooling fans this card just gets that hot even with its 3 fans)

So... You think the people who are buying these newer GPU's don't have lives? The people buying them don't have wives, families and jobs? How did you manage to get your 3060ti then?

Yes they are more expensive than they have ever been historically and are difficult to obtain (along with consoles) but all I see is people making excuses. Recently we had a thread where someone said they tried to get a new console for 2 days and then they gave up. Pathetic.

Due to economic reasons over the next couple of years we will end up with a situation where there will be an oversupply of many of the products that are so difficult to get today, prices will fall/normalise. What will people's excuses be then?

The OP said he only wants to spend 100 euros per decade on gaming, but yet he's taking the time to post on a gaming forum. This is not a serious person and I sincerely hope he's not making compromises in every other area of life to that degree.

Resetera suits him.

So many inane PC master race posts in one thread, good grief. Зажрались, чесслово. Y'all are so used to pork and wine you've forgotten what bread and water taste like. It's disgusting. ._.

Yes, some people consider 1080p@60 a perfectly fine standard to hold to, since it's far easier on the wallet and perfectly good visually. This is not even counting all the people who are happy to game at 30 fps or 720p, because that's all they have access to or don't feel the need to upgrade. I'm perfectly happy staying where I am, and not feeding into the vicious cycle of constantly increasing visual fidelity demands and game development times and costs.

Would I use better hardware to play at higher fidelity if I could get it for free? Sure. But I would not chase higher fidelity and high framerates, as they're not things that make a game. Because I consider myself a gamer. Anyone who cares for resolution and framerate over a game's substance is just a graphics junkie.

UnNamed

Banned
Legit question: do you have some benefit in terms of flickering/pixel retention/eye benefit using 120/240fps in 60 or even 30fps game without using BFI ?

I had a 144hz screen and I didn't notice too much difference using Mame.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't notice much difference between 60 and 120 on my lcd tv to be honest when playing with gamepad.

Ulysses 31

I don't notice much difference between 60 and 120 on my lcd tv to be honest when playing with gamepad.
Then look into motion clarity and how to spot it, you will definitely see the difference between 60 and 120 fps then(unless your lcd tv is just not up to par).

It's especially noticeable with moving/scrolling text.

Your card doesn't blow up its made for it.

Also if your card overheats, it will underclock itself. This is already done for a while now.
Blow up was hyperbowl, as in stops working. I had it happen to multiple cards. They will last 2 years and then either artifacts on screen or won't post in windows with card in. Happened with 8800gts, 9800gt and 7870 cards. In current scalper/miner/asshole market landscape, I'm not taking any risks on not being bale to play as I can't get a console now either (been trying since launch).

I down clock my 3060ti, which I lucked out on getting in the first place at msrp. Had to wait 8 months for it. I use the x1 software and set temp limit at 73 and power limit down to 95%. Otherwise games like cyberpunk or uncapped old games going up to 500+ fps will keep raising the Temps. Sure it will eventually downclock at 83c... That's what they set it for. Meanwhile my office room temp raises lwhen the card gets hot too. It's factory overclocked and uses 30 to 40 watts over stock for this model card. So my downclock is bringing it closer to stock temps and wattage if the reference cards. I don't notice much difference in performace at all using afterburner to gauge fps.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Then look into motion clarity and how to spot it, you will definitely see the difference between 60 and 120 fps then(unless your lcd tv is just not up to par).

It's especially noticeable with moving/scrolling text.
Thanks. I will look into it. It's one of the latest LG 2021 Nano models so it should be okay.

I'm glad this obvious troll account was banned.
He banned himself. It's honestly hard to stand this place sometimes, but at least you're less likely to be banned out of the blue for trying to hold a discussion from a contrarian point of view (unlike the other place). Even if all you see in response most of the time, is memes and trolling with not a constructive thought in sight.

MikeM

Scored a PS5 and Series X. Have a career, spouse, kid and a dog. Not sure what your statement is alluding to here.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
OP after reading the comments.

quantum-leap-im-retarded.gif

Edit : oh crap saw I was beaten by a quarter mile.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Blow up was hyperbowl, as in stops working. I had it happen to multiple cards. They will last 2 years and then either artifacts on screen or won't post in windows with card in. Happened with 8800gts, 9800gt and 7870 cards. In current scalper/miner/asshole market landscape, I'm not taking any risks on not being bale to play as I can't get a console now either (been trying since launch).

I down clock my 3060ti, which I lucked out on getting in the first place at msrp. Had to wait 8 months for it. I use the x1 software and set temp limit at 73 and power limit down to 95%. Otherwise games like cyberpunk or uncapped old games going up to 500+ fps will keep raising the Temps. Sure it will eventually downclock at 83c... That's what they set it for. Meanwhile my office room temp raises lwhen the card gets hot too. It's factory overclocked and uses 30 to 40 watts over stock for this model card. So my downclock is bringing it closer to stock temps and wattage if the reference cards. I don't notice much difference in performace at all using afterburner to gauge fps.
Mate, you’re putting all this effort into temp management through power limits and underclocking because you’re scared of unlimited framerates, despite global framerate limits being Afterburner’s most commonly used feature outside of the overlay? Give your 3060ti away, it’s wasted on you.

Also: hyperbole.

Mate, you’re putting all this effort into temp management through power limits and underclocking because you’re scared of unlimited framerates, despite global framerate limits being Afterburner’s most commonly used feature outside of the overlay? Give your 3060ti away, it’s wasted on you.

Also: hyperbole.
Nah I'm scared of not being able to get a replacement card. I barely got my card. I had bought a 2060 right before the shortage and lucked out getting on evga stepup and waited 8 months for the 3060ti. The 2060 was enough for me but why not future proof for a few extra bucks.

Let me know when I can go on Newegg and buy a new mid range card or stop into best buy any day of the week and buy one like it used to be and I won't be scared of my card dying. I've had 3 gfx cards fail on me in my 30 years of buying graphics cards (going back to my svga card in 1993). So it can happen. Card is working fine, I can play cyberpunk, nioh, ac Valhalla, no man's sky. Kingdom come, control, mount and blade 2, metro exodus, etc... All in ultra with ray tracing and over 60fps. I set a temp and power limit and cap frames on some games.

I'd love not to worry about it, but unfortunately my switch is the only console and system I have that I k iw I could go out and get replaced without spending 4x the cost.

torture senate GIF by gifnews

Waterboarding makes me more connected to fish, so I do it all the time!

I am not sure what else to say, I don't have a high refresh monitor because in my budget 4K with good image quality prevented the higher refresh (I do other stuff)... but if I had a 144hz monitor I'd use it as such.

Top Bottom