• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about Exoprimal?

watched a few trailers and it’s not for me. Not to say that people won’t get some fun out of it, just don’t think it’s worth my time when there are so many big games coming in the next few months.

You can't force a meme. I remember that in the Capcom leak it was described as something to go viral among streamers, so this probably aimed to hit the alghorithm homerun with "omg dinosaurs so crazy" , but you can never truly predict something like that.

Last edited:

Ywap

Yeah..... even though i have Gamepass i don´t think i´ll bother. Looks very uninteresting to a SP person like myself since it´s a co-op focused game.

.....and it might dethrone Doom Eternal as the most HBTQ-colors-on-screen queen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
so I think we have our launch stats now

Steam has it capped at

4,032 at launch which is piss poor for a live service title, to put that in perspective, Darktide another title that is Live service in a.... "similar" genre and released on Gamepass at launch got 107,450.

but what about console?

well we check xbox's top 50 most played games

its not on that at launch.

I think we have a dead game on our hands unless they radically shift trajectory, I mean I am not even sure if it was released as F2P from the get go if people would see enough value in the download to let it continue.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Aren’t they selling it on PlayStation too?

When a major third-party puts a game on a sub service Day 1, they likely knew the game wouldn't do well. Either on that platform, or at all. They didn't market it much either. Which is also usually indicative of the same thing. GamePass has frequently been a service where third-parties release their mediocre games at launch. Clearly, Microsoft was willing to pay for this for the sake of having another Day 1 release. Sony was not.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember buying Anarchy Reigns way beyond its server days just because it was made by Platinum Games. It played like some old school (The Grid) arcade game. It was fun for a couple hours. I put it down and never touched it again. Maybe down the road it’ll be worth it when you aren’t paying a lot for it.

Solidus_T

It seems like a sort of throwaway GaaS game. That being said, it's still got that Capcom quality. Their games they have low faith in are ironically better than a lot of other games. Still GaaS has me skeptical

BWJinxing

I passed on High Fi Rush, i might try this, its on game pass.

they really should have just put resources into a dino crisis remake

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When a major third-party puts a game on a sub service Day 1, they likely knew the game wouldn't do well. Either on that platform, or at all. They didn't market it much either. Which is also usually indicative of the same thing. GamePass has frequently been a service where third-parties release their mediocre games at launch. Clearly, Microsoft was willing to pay for this for the sake of having another Day 1 release. Sony was not.

I think this Steam review sums it up nicely.

wtf is this launch?
- a premium battle pass
- a dlc pack that has you unlock stuff faster
- cosmetic dlc packs on release
- loot boxes
This is the monetization of a free-to-play......this is a 60 dollar AAA game, from capcom.
Further more, what happened to the players wanting the game to be more pve? they even established how players wanted less pvp back in the beta, and it's still a pvp focused game, even when you select pve ( which even if you like it better then pvp, you're better off choosing "random" so you get more exp, so you get punished for wanting to play 1 more then the other ). I get why people got skeptical when it was said this was free on xbox game pass, this is horid.

There are so many more established multiplayer games out there, that Capcom’s really sending this to die with a $60 price tag and the monetization of a ftp title.

AAA companies just don’t seem to get it.

Not sure what Microsoft paid for this, but it’s destined to flop unless Capcom makes some changes. They probably offered money for it to bolster the image of Xbox having more games from Japan.

I’ve played four online games, it’s fun but there doesn’t seem to really be any depth. Maybe the “campaign” missions are different.

There appears to be all the fixings that come with a F2P title. Custom emotes and badges and skins for sale, you can earn chests, buy currency, etc.

Idk if any of it is predatory though or P2W.

Varteras

Gold Member

wtf is this launch?
- a premium battle pass
- a dlc pack that has you unlock stuff faster
- cosmetic dlc packs on release
- loot boxes
This is the monetization of a free-to-play......this is a 60 dollar AAA game, from capcom.
Further more, what happened to the players wanting the game to be more pve? they even established how players wanted less pvp back in the beta, and it's still a pvp focused game, even when you select pve ( which even if you like it better then pvp, you're better off choosing "random" so you get more exp, so you get punished for wanting to play 1 more then the other ). I get why people got skeptical when it was said this was free on xbox game pass, this is horid.

There are so many more established multiplayer games out there, that Capcom’s really sending this to die with a $60 price tag and the monetization of a ftp title.

AAA companies just don’t seem to get it.

Not sure what Microsoft paid for this, but it’s destined to flop unless Capcom makes some changes. They probably offered money for it to bolster the image of Xbox having more games from Japan.

I'm going to guess that's exactly it. But I feel like Microsoft really should be more selective about what they pay for. You don't do your service justice on perceived value when you do Day 1 releases of games that keep missing the mark. Getting people excited, only to have them walking away disappointed. I've used it and I think it's a solid service. But some in my circle refer to it as TrashPass. Not that it is actually horrible all in all. Just that so many of the new games that keep landing on it feel like games no one really wanted. The better offerings are, more often than not, games that were already out for awhile.

Spaceman292

Banned
so I think we have our launch stats now

Steam has it capped at

4,032 at launch which is piss poor for a live service title, to put that in perspective, Darktide another title that is Live service in a.... "similar" genre and released on Gamepass at launch got 107,450.

but what about console?

well we check xbox's top 50 most played games

its not on that at launch.

I think we have a dead game on our hands unless they radically shift trajectory, I mean I am not even sure if it was released as F2P from the get go if people would see enough value in the download to let it continue.
Haha I didn't even know this was a live service thing lmao what were they thinking?

I was 100% in after the reveal, the game looked really cool. Then they announced it was a GaaS and that it also has a season pass and microtransactions. With that monetization scheme, the game should have been free to play, but it isn't. It was at that point I stopped caring. I played the open test weekend last month out of curiosity. To be fair, I had fun, but that only made it more clear to me that the game would quickly die. Hardly anyone was talking about it, almost no one was streaming the game either. I looked at steam charts, and it also painted a bad picture. The first open test had decent numbers, but there was a steep drop off for the second one. Lawbreakers had the same story. I can also see why. Most people just wanted to go in and slay dinos with their friends, but Capcom decided instead to try to do the next Overwatch or something. The main mode pits two teams as they race against the clock to compete objectives, this is the actually fun part when you shoot hordes of dinos. However, it's all pointless because the final stage is actually a pvp hero shooter where each team pushes a load like in Tf2, so all the previous stages are utterly pointless (the team that gets to the final stage first gets a slight time advantage, but in all the games I played it never seemed to matter because you can turn it around quite easily if your team is good at pvp). People really disliked that, and they even addressed it during their summer game presentation, saying they heard the feedback and that the final game would have a mode where the pvp portion at the end would be removed. So, I'd say general GaaS fatigue, bad game design and stupid monetization killed the game before it even had a chance. I predict Capcom either killing the game in about a year or shifting to a free to play game... And then killing the game anyway because no one cared again.

FeralEcho

The steam reviews are pretty low for a game released by AAA studio. The reviews on steam aren't that great as well.
Why is no one talking about this poorly reviewed game...said the O.P. who answered his own question.

Just because it comes from Capcom doesn't mean it'll suddenly be gold.Exoprimal looked like crap from themoment it was announced.

Looks like the game uses AI generated voice acting

That…kind makes sense for the A.I. character. Not a bad use of it imo.

This is the only part where I feel that reviewer didn’t see enough of the game to notice the differences. I’ve done PvP queue, then PvE queue to see the differences. Then I did random to see how it would mix them. There was no big change in xp. The main big changes in xp occurred based on performance and win/loss. The only time anyone interacts with the other team in PvE queue is when the enemy dinosaur enters the field for up to 60 seconds at least. In raids, this dinosaur doesn’t even happen.

For every other point, he’s right 🤷‍♂️

twilo99

It keeps resetting back to 60 FPS limit every time I launch the game, anyone else with this problem? I’m running the gamepass version

RickMasters

The Gamepass effect. Xbox don't advertise anything that goes into Gamepass.
They have it front and center on the gamepass panel on the dashboard but yes….. they should be making a bit more noise about it. It looks like a good game to show off on the service. It had me at mech suits and dinosaurs.

I set it to download this morning, will give it a try later, when more of my friends are online. Looks like a fun coop shooter. And I need something to fill that coop sci fi shooter void left by destiny, after I stopped playing that game. The armours look pretty cool. Hoping we can customise them? I never even read much about the game before hand. Saw a few YouTube trailers and that was it. So I’m going in with just one expectation…. That’s it’s a descent co op shooter. The gunplay reminds me of lost planet. Same with the movement.

Anthem wasn’t the great mech suit co op shooter we hoped for . Hopefully this scratches that itch!

Last edited:
They have it from and center on the gamepass panel on the dashboard but yes….. they should be making a bit more noise about it. It looks like a good game to show off on the service. It had me at mech suits and dinosaurs.

I set it to download this morning, will give it a try later, when more of my friends are online. Looks like a fun coop shooter. And I need something to fill that coop sci fi shooter void left by destiny, after I stopped playing that game. The armours look pretty cool. Hoping we can customise them? I never even read much about the game before hand. Saw a few YouTube trailers and that was it. So I’m going in with just one expectation…. That’s it’s a descent co op shooter. The gunplay reminds me of lost planet. Same with the movement.

Anthem wasn’t the great mech suit co op shooter we hoped for . Hopefully this scratches that itch!
You can customize mechs over time with unlocks and coins that you receive from leveling.

This game has story but it does not have a Destiny-style campaign though. There is no overworld and you mainly queue for matches with story bits and cutscenes in between. Think of it more like a time trial Left 4 dead but with Dinosaurs.

Well, I jumped in - PS5 version, if any gaffers are On PS hit me up for some matches ! - who am I kidding, no one bought this game
🤣
Just as a positive heads up, thanks to the Capcom I.D. system it supports crossplay also.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Well, I jumped in - PS5 version, if any gaffers are On PS hit me up for some matches ! - who am I kidding, no one bought this game 🤣
Is it cross platform? Maybe you can jump in with some of us Xbox guys if that be the case. Form a GAF- gang and kill some dinos for loot. I’m assuming the game gives us loot. Every game gotta give up the loot! Preferably of the shooting variety 😅

Is it cross platform? Maybe you can jump in with some of us Xbox guys if that be the case. Form a GAF- gang and kill some dinos for loot. I’m assuming the game gives us loot. Every game gotta give up the loot! Preferably of the shooting variety 😅
It does have cross play, however the game doesn’t give loot during the match. It will give xp, coins, and skins, etc after each match. You can unlock new characters and sidearms through leveling.

RickMasters

Just as a positive heads up, thanks to the Capcom I.D. system it supports crossplay also.
That’s wassup! think all third party games should have cross play. Don’t separate the communities! Better to have them all in one place that way their is always a vast pool of players in whatever you are playing.

One of my fave things about COD is seeing PS and PC players in the same lobbies as Xbox owners. It just looks damn cool.

RickMasters

It does have cross play, however the game doesn’t give loot during the match. It will give xp, coins, and skins, etc after each match. You can unlock new characters and sidearms through leveling.
Sounds like I’m gonna have a fun Saturday evening with it!

I hope they got some kind of blue camo skin. I love any game that lets me deck my avatar in blue camo!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Boys, how the fook do I reset my character/progress ? I fooked up during the character creation and I wanna start fresh, game doesn't let me exit to the main menu ffs, I also deleted my save but the game starts automatically from the last checkpoint ?

93xfan

Banned
Didn’t play much yet, but I will say the dinosaurs animate really well.

Hope this tech is used to do a Dino Crisis remake similar to RE2 Remake

I’ve watched two trailers for it and have no clue what kind of game it is. Looter shooter?
For PvE, Imagine Left 4 Dead PvE but as a time trial mode, and sometimes ending in a co-op raid at the end with hundreds of raptors and a giant boss. The PvP queue is the same but the final sequence is like pushing the cart from Overwatch or TF2.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
OK dudes, hear me out :
There's a reason why this costs as much as it costs, the reason is...production values, and by that, I mean that there's LOTS of videos/cutscenes in typical Capcom fashion that are flashy and well-directed and we all know that this shit costs, I mean, think about other AA games in this genre like Alien: fireteam elite, Remnant (kind of), Evolve etc etc - most of these games don't even have a "real story" and you're dumped into menus as soon as you boot up the game ffs...
Sorry I can't explain it better but my English is fooked up right now, what I'm trying to say here is that the game has a more "traditional" approach as games go by having a balls to the wall presentation in the form of the ludicrous cutscenes , I mean, the 1st intro with the exosuit introduction is just...Capcom-y as fook, as is the 3rd one where you're introduced to the characters which Is very Guy Ritchie-esque (for a lack of a better word).

Take Destiny 1/2 for example, games which millions loved and there's no cutscenes to be found anymore after they butchered the 1st seasons and condensed everything, and yet, that game did have its following due to the lore and characters which were presented during cutscenes, they weren't games that dumped you straight into menus so that you could commence the grind as soon as you pressed on the start button.
Also, remember Anthem ? It did have a story and featured some actually nice cutscenes as to not feel as empty/vacuous (as it really was).

Again, most of the games of this type are straight " press on the start button as to get presented with a starting menu/hub so that you can buddy up and commence the grind", Exoprimal isn't like this, in fact, I'd go as far as to say that its progression is more akin to something like Mohun World that something like Aliens fireteam elite (which was 50 bucks on release day IIRC).

This one is silly, bold, ludicrous (for all the right reasons) and it's got a really nice presentation when all is said and done, in the end, it could have been launched at a lower price but for it being F2P... I don't know, the game would have had a 20 seconds static image reel for its intro and then it would have dumped you straight into the home screen/hangar.

It may look like a cynic cash grab (and yes, it features many trappings of F2P games) but... I think that there's some heart at display here, also, it's plain, dumb fun for you and your friends, give it a try...

Bought the deluxe edition for 40 bucks which is more..."acceptable " than the 70 on the PSN store, I just hope that it doesn't die after a couple of months

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You know a games not worth playing when half the posts on reddit are people's loot box rewards and the other half are people reusing the same tired "STOP HAVING FUN!" meme because they can't get any of their friends to play it and they shit on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom