• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no other game TOP Red Dead Redemption II?

squarealex

People discovery Video Game industry?

You know many publishers ready top spent for a 300 millions budget for just one game, new IP and 8 years of production?

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
7vjx7v.jpg

It's an alright game. Nothing amazing. Best thing is the story/characters.... not so much the gameplay. RDR was better but Rockstar can whistle if they want me to buy it again full price.

KellyNole

Most things about RDR 2 are amazing. The problem is the most important things for a game, game play and fun, it severely lacks. Controlling the character is like controlling a large boat. While super detailed, the game gets boring. I couldn’t put down RDR 1 until I finished it. RDR 2 I made it about 15 or 20 hours in and just didn’t want to play anymore.

Hudo

Gold Member
RDR2 is the worst put-together open-world game I have played. And it's even more perplexing when you know it's made by fucking Rockstar Games, these guys should (and do!) know better. That game suffers from a duality in its design where the systems that populate the open-world and make it "alive" clash heavily with the mission design and narrative structure. When you're not allowed and even punished for trying to use the open-world in solving missions (like having missions end because you did not follow an intended path or were suddenly "too far away" from someone), then something is terribly wrong. That's at least my opinion.
And also, yes, the animations are really good the first couple of times around. But for god's sake, at some point I don't want to watch the "skin animal" animation anymore. Just be fucking done with it. And also, the controls were janky as fuck, IMHO. Since GTA 4, Rockstar's open-world games have less and less precise controls, where these's a fucking disconnect between your inputs and how your character reacts.

I still maintain that RDR 1 is a better game all around.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member

Why no other game TOP GTA 5?​

These games are produced by thousands of people over many years, no one can match that. There were many Gta clones. Red Dead less so, but the series is also much younger.

“Why no other game TOP Red Dead Redemption II”

So…what you’ve written there is a definitive statement. But then…..you go and whack a question mark on the end.

So not even you believe what you’re saying!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hopefully assassins creed mirage is ok, looking forward to it my only comment on red dead redemption 2 is unfortunately if you told me Ubisoft made it id believe you.

Fbh

Because Rockstar has the money and time to put insane amount of details into their games, which makes their worlds feel more alive and believable than most other games.

They also have some of the best writers in the industry (or at least used to have)

But other devs put their more limited time and money into actually making the gameplay and mission design good.

Stafford

When it comes to the insane attention to detail, Rockstar just can't be beaten. I'm playing through the game for these last few months and it constantly amazes me with the stuff they thought of putting in. Often making me forget I'm playing a game.

And when it comes to characters and writing this trumps all their previous games. Arthur is infinitely more interesting, likeable and better written than any of their other protagonists. When it comes to the overall writing it's just way above GTA 5 too, easily.

If GTA 6 is gonna be like this too, then I can't wait.

Stafford

trash gameplay and movement.

Movement because it is somewhat sluggish? It definitely is, but it's also the only game where I can accept it, actually I love it. There's weight to the character when moving and I dig it. The other day I tried to play AC Origins after taking a short break from RDR2 and it felt horrible. It felt like the character was just sliding forward really, no weight to the character movement at all.

What do you mean with trash gameplay? The shooting is great, very satisfying, the physics are hugely improved over GTA 5. I'm not sure what you would want from the gameplay exactly.

zeldaring

Banned
I loved the world and attention to detail, graphics are probably still the best till this day. It's just sad how limited the freedom is in mission structure, and how shit the combat and aiming is.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Even the most detailed open-world and insane production values can't make up for the poor main mission design, godawful shooting and terrible controls that prioritize smooth animations over responsiveness. Some of the worst input delay I've seen in a game, period.

So yeah, it wasn't the revelation everyone expected even when it came out. Honestly, I prefer even Cyberpunk 2077 over it.

Last edited:
Not every game needs to. RDR2 is easily in my top 5 of all time, I specifically bought an SSD to keep RDR2 and Witcher 3 installed pretty much all the time on my PC.

If every game was like that, while cool, there'd be so little games to choose from. It took them forever to come out with RDR2, it was a looooonnnnnngggg wait. Same for Witcher 3. I'm so thankful those games exist, but it's not feasible for every game to be like that with the amount of resources even required. Even then, passion for development can definitely temper with time and I'd wager that having such large productions really kills a lot of the passion most devs felt starting a project.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why would I want any devs be anything like them? R* put all their effort in graphics and so called realism, and zero attention in actual gameplay and mission structure.

And their realism and so called "freedom" goes at window when start a mission. This game is for people who value graphics above everything else.

Zheph

I really enjoyed the subquests, activities and the main character but the rest isn't as good imo... those threads are wild honestly

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
idk... I had way more fun with Death Stranding, tlou2, Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring...
RDR2 is great but it's kinda a slog at times

zeldaring

Banned
I don't have any issues with the shooting, but it's true about mission freedom. Some real immersive sim elements Would have done wonders for the missions.
combat is trash in general. you never get into a combat situation where you have to think and the game is unplayable with out auto aim on controller.

Top Bottom