• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no other game TOP Red Dead Redemption II?

Deerock71

7vjx7v.jpg
Mod should make this his or her avatar. 😆

Trilobit

Gold Member
Playing RDR2 felt like playing something that shouldn't exist, like it's too special. The budget, love and care that went into it shone through every time I started it. Just the fact that they chose to make those long animations and have a slower tempo instead of something more gamey and ADHD was remarkable. It's one thing to have a wild west game, but another to have a "simulator".

The immersion when you walked through a forest at dawn and the light shone through the tree tops or when Arthur began to sing to himself sometimes when you rode makes me think it'll be a long time before something likea this pops up again.

iorek21

RDR2 is great, but you can't look too deep at its mechanics, otherwise it just falls apart.

Movement is beautiful, but it's clunky to play. You spend a lot of time doing meaningless things like looting, picking objects and the like; mission design is also VERY limited.

Story is good, but pacing harms it a lot - though that can be said about 80% of current AAA games.

Production values are all over the place, but very little of it translates into actual gameplay fun.

As by being "topped", if you mean in the technical side, TLOU2 did it one year later. If you mean by open world goodness, then I don't think it has topped BOTW.

RDR2 100% topped for having best controls in a video game ever created. They topped the controls so hard, that I quit the game after playing for 20 minutes and while still being stuck in the intro and never came back.

zeldaring

Banned
RDR2 is great, but you can't look too deep at its mechanics, otherwise it just falls apart.

Movement is beautiful, but it's clunky to play. You spend a lot of time doing meaningless things like looting, picking objects and the like; mission design is also VERY limited.

Story is good, but pacing harms it a lot - though that can be said about 80% of current AAA games.

Production values are all over the place, but very little of it translates into actual gameplay fun.

As by being "topped", if you mean in the technical side, TLOU2 did it one year later. If you mean by open world goodness, then I don't think it has topped BOTW.
It hasn't been topped when it comes to having the most impressive world in gaming, and TLOU2 is not impressive as RDR2 on the technical side not even close.

Last edited:

Lupin25

RDR2 is still a great game. Perfect realization of a fully-lived in world, but surpassed in most qualities outside of AI and non-raytraced illumination.

An amazing cowboy sim I’ll give it that.

No doubt it's not an amazing game but I don't have the time to play an open world game with more animation frames for movement than what exists in reality. Fuck that.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
RDR1 is on PS4 not PS5, I'm sure they'll do a PS5 version with upgrades once all the suckers buy the PS4 version.
That’s correct, my bad. So dumb, I’m not touching this at all, Rockstar continue to disappoint recently but I’m no doubt going to be a sucker and in day 1 for GTA6 😂

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I like it
There are people that like getting shat on in their mouths, that doesn’t make it right or normal.
RDR2 control scheme is extremely convoluted, it also makes it almost impossible to play any game in parallel since you won’t be able to recall all the damn button combinations for the simplest of tasks.

Impotaku

It topped it for me for boredom, it's a pretty game but man is it fucking boring like paint drying the videogame

zeldaring

Banned
It topped it for me for boredom, it's a pretty game but man is it fucking boring like paint drying the videogame
exploring the beautiful world was fun but yea if it had a fun combat system with fun encounters then yea easily a 10/10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom