• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you really need to buy an new oled - the reason might surprise you

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So you would expect me to say things like:

Infinite contrast
Deep back levels
Amazing color

And these things are fantastic. But I recently bought an lg c1 and then returned it for a sony a80k. (Prefer the Sony color and scaler)
I have also in the house a Sony x85k 120hz led. Here's the thing that surprised me most.

For both the c1 and the a80k, the response time and screen refresh time is so good, I almost have describe playing games as an organic experience vs a digital one. Between the vrr, instant response time, and less blurring, it feels so different. Like I'm directly connected to the controls vs watching.
I expected it to be better, but not this much better.

Now of course the x85j is fairly fast and does 120hz, but its just not the same. Plus of course the oled, in a light controlled room, does have amazing picture quality overall.

And it's not like I hadn't owned an oled before, I did own a b2 a few years back, but it wasn't like this.
So for those of you who haven't tried a modern oled, it might surprise you. An excuse to play all of your favorite games again.

Last edited:

Ashtyr

Neo Member
So you would expect me to say things like:

Infinite contrast
Deep back levels
Amazing color

And these things are fantastic. But I recently bought an lg c1 and then returned it for a sony a80k. (Prefer the Sony color and scaler)
I have also in the house a Sony x85k 120hz led. Here's the thing that surprised me most.

For both the c1 and the a80k, the response time and screen refresh time is so good, I almost have describe playing games as an organic experience vs a digital one. Between the vrr, instant response time, and less blurring, it feels so different. Like I'm directly connected to the controls vs watching.
I expected it to be better, but not this much better.

Now of course the x85j is fairly fast and does 120hz, but its just not the same. Plus of course the oled, in a light controlled room, does have amazing picture quality overall.

And it's not like I hadn't owned an oled before, I did own a b2 a few years back, but it wasn't like this.
So for those of you who haven't tried a modern oled, it might surprise you. An excuse to play all of your favorite games again.

you are comparing an oled against a low range led, medium low being very very generous.

An LED that is not even FALD, even if it was a basic one like the X90 or Q80

Very fair

Each one should buy what they think is appropriate, but if you are going to compare, compare TVs of the same range

look this

I repeat, that everyone buy what they want or can, but if you are going to compare ... apples with apples

THE DUCK

you are comparing an oled against a low range led, medium low being very very generous.

An LED that is not even FALD, even if it was a basic one like the X90 or Q80

Very fair

Each one should buy what they think is appropriate, but if you are going to compare, compare TVs of the same range

look this

I repeat, that everyone buy what they want or can, but if you are going to compare ... apples with apples

Your missing the point, the "low end" sony has a fast response time, vrr, and 120hz that is competitive with the higher end fald tv's. I'm not debating led vs oled in terms on black levels and contrast here. So apples to apples in terms of response time, which is my point - the end user "feel".

X85j
80% Response Time 4.0 ms
100% Response Time 11.7 ms
Compared to x90j fald
80% Response Time 3.9 ms
100% Response Time 10.7 ms

A80k oled
80% Response Time 0.2 ms
100% Response Time 3.1 ms

Hand in hand with input lag, which is actually measures slightly higher on the oled, the oled just feels more responsive.

Last edited:

MikeM

Had a x900h prior to my C1. Only thing I preferred on the x900h is no crushed blacks (dark corners/rooms kill me in games like warzone). Otherwise, OLED for life.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Oled TVs are dropping in England (for the lower spec ones) - can’t wait to jump in. Personally just wish their was some 32 inch TV options. The small upcoming monitors all have obscene prices.

Ulysses 31

Burn in is still too much of a risk for me with my gaming habits.

If I ever get hooked on a game like Hyrule Warriors and Dark Souls again for 100s of hours I'd be too afraid playing those on the OLED.

Mini LED is the next best thing and the color volume more than makes up for the infinite contrast for me.

And I just prefer the Samsung lightcanons overall.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I just helped my Mom find and buy a new TV, and anything OLED was wildly expensive. We wound up getting a 55” Samsung and she loves it. Only cost $400, compared to the $1,500+ Price tags we were seeing on OLED stuff.

Now, she doesn’t game lol, but if I were shopping for a new TV right now, OLED is the last thing I’d buy because everything I saw was so damn expensive.

Maybe the price will come down over the next 5-10 years and they will be worth it then…??? But I just can’t see myself spending that much on a television. Especially when the cheaper ones look so good! Her new TV looks fantastic!

Daymos

Yeah I don't really get the big deal. I have an LG c1 and Ive watched people play elden ring on PS5 on it while I play elden ring on a gaming laptop with a mid-range 144hz display and sure the OLED black levels are great with an OLED, but beyond that it's not jaw dropping.

However, I must admit we only have the OLED because my wife twisted my arm after being so impressed with it. I was at best buy all set to spend $1000 on a Sony xj90 and my wife is like "oh hell no get the LG" even though it's $300 more. She then proceed to play elden ring for 170hrs on 'her tv'.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Yeah I don't really get the big deal. I have an LG c1 and Ive watched people play elden ring on PS5 on it while I play elden ring on a gaming laptop with a mid-range 144hz display and sure the OLED black levels are great with an OLED, but beyond that it's not jaw dropping.

However, I must admit we only have the OLED because my wife twisted my arm after being so impressed with it. I was at best buy all set to spend $1000 on a Sony xj90 and my wife is like "oh hell no get the LG" even though it's $300 more. She then proceed to play elden ring for 170hrs on 'her tv'.
Why are you here and not your wife? Give your account to your wife. Also I would also like to know.. is your wife single?

Fahdis

Outside of the PC Master Race, we also now have an OLED Master Race.

OP is absolutely on the money with respone times, colors and conrasts. If you don't have an OLED now, literally missing out on gaming like a god. HDR though is a hard sell as a feature for me. Looks like ass on anything and everything.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just got a 70 inch Vizio non-OLED thing. It's gigantic man. Walmart is practically throwing their TVs away right now. $550. Couldn't believe it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Oled is a dying technology.
no it's not. at least not any time soon. Mini LED is not a replacement to OLED. it solves the burn in and brightness issue but has it's own flaws. With Mini LED the LEDs aren't small enough. You might have 1 LED per say every ~100 pixels (just an example). This creates blooming which is a flaw of Mini LED. Micro LED will be a worthy successor to OLED because each individual pixel will have it's own LED so you can have per pixel control like OLED. Micro LED is still challenging to make and very expensive.

I do think OLED will eventually disappear like Plasma did years ago but right now it's very easily the best display technology.

HDR though is a hard sell as a feature for me. Looks like ass on anything and everything.
For games yeah HDR sucks but watching movies in HDR is a huge step up. It also depends on which display you have. HDR standards are all over the place. My PC monitor is technically HDR but it's an IPS display so not only does it max out at ~400 nits but it can't dim shadows. the contrast is shit. on an OLED display then HDR is really impressive because the display can turn off the pixels completely or dim them to the proper levels.

I bought my 4K TV to get 4K but HDR was the most impressive thing about it. It's rough going back to SDR tv shows and movies. If something isn't in HDR then i will apply the HDR Effect setting. It's not as good as true HDR but it does a decent job.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I hoped we could check "they eliminated the burn in" checkmark in 2022

The faster response time of oled is worse for lower, i.e. 30, 60fps content.

Also you got a worse tv with a80k vs c1.

Also the x85j/k is an entry level, edge lit LCD.

th4tguy

My tv literally is from the early 2000s and has lines going through the screen. Sony Bravia from 2008 55".
I got a small tv just recently for my home office. It's a Samsung and is a "smart tv". I can not believe the functionality new tvs have. I've mostly transitioned to playing my games on it.

Sentenza

I thought refresh times and latency were supposed to be among the OLED's tech weakest points (at least compared to the cutting edge in other panels) ?

kiphalfton

I mean I've been using my B9 since 2020 and honestly don't see any point in upgrading, 120hz refresh rate and everything on it looks amazing.

Also have a LG B9. I wanted to get a C1, but there's no point. It's one model up and 2 years newer, but my TV is totally fine and looks amazing as you said.

Incidentally I did recently "retire" an older low-mid tier Samsung 4K TV and replaced it with a Samsung QN90A. Granted it's not an OLED TV, but it still looks pretty damn good. So no I wouldn't say you absolutely positively need to buy an OLED TV.

A.Romero

I've had a C1 for about 8 - 9 months and have enjoyed it a lot. TBH don't notice any difference in lag but that's probably because my previous LCD had a good response time.

I'm also not very sensitive to that stuff.

To me the biggest difference comes from VRR and how the colors look. I recently got a 4K Mad Max Bluray and enjoyed it a lot.

Recently I have also noticed crushed blacks but I think it's an acceptable trade-off.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Almost everyone here and everywhere else has been playing for more than a decade on LCD/LED TVs and somehow it was fine.

I “downgraded” from LC C9 precisely to Sony X85J (actually its X89J variant, to be precise) and you know what? Fuck OLED’s slideshow effect. It actively ruined my enjoyment of games. Movies could do with some motion interpolation, while even that had to be tuned for different movies. But games? No 3D game without smooth motion looks anywhere near acceptable on OLED, and even some old 2D games manage to stutter. Response time on my Sony is perfectly fine, too. I didn’t have any issues with response time on my old plasma, and that had an estimated 22ms response time.

Sure, I miss the perfect blacks and the large viewing angles. I don’t miss the stutter though, and that’s more important to me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i'm not buying OLED until it becomes a standard in monitors. those perfect blacks and viewing angles are good but i want them in my face to appreciate all the detail, not 2 meters away from me

THE DUCK

Almost everyone here and everywhere else has been playing for more than a decade on LCD/LED TVs and somehow it was fine.

I “downgraded” from LC C9 precisely to Sony X85J (actually its X89J variant, to be precise) and you know what? Fuck OLED’s slideshow effect. It actively ruined my enjoyment of games. Movies could do with some motion interpolation, while even that had to be tuned for different movies. But games? No 3D game without smooth motion looks anywhere near acceptable on OLED, and even some old 2D games manage to stutter. Response time on my Sony is perfectly fine, too. I didn’t have any issues with response time on my old plasma, and that had an estimated 22ms response time.

Sure, I miss the perfect blacks and the large viewing angles. I don’t miss the stutter though, and that’s more important to me.

I really have no idea what you are talking about here, all I have on this sony is silky smooth goodness. Why would you ever have motion interpolation turned on? Games at 60hz native and 120hz definitely don't need or want it. Movies at 24hz or shows at 30hz don't really need it either.
Maybe your C9 had some weird processing issue.

THE DUCK

The faster response time of oled is worse for lower, i.e. 30, 60fps content.

Also you got a worse tv with a80k vs c1.

Also the x85j/k is an entry level, edge lit LCD.

No I didn't get worse, I had them literally side by side. There is a reason the C1 got a 4/10 on accuracy out of the box.
Color is better, overall contrast is better with no crushing of shadow detail like the C1. The only thing the C1 did better is 4 2.1 inputs and it was slightly faster for gaming.
But overall it was easy to choose once I had them head to head. Did you have them head to head?
You totally missed my point on the x85j, it's response time and input lag is very similar even to higher end LCD's.

No I didn't get worse, I had them literally side by side. There is a reason the C1 got a 4/10 on accuracy out of the box.
Color is better, overall contrast is better with no crushing of shadow detail like the C1. The only thing the C1 did better is 4 2.1 inputs and it was slightly faster for gaming.
But overall it was easy to choose once I had them head to head. Did you have them head to head?
You totally missed my point on the x85j, it's response time and input lag is very similar even to higher end LCD's.
Did you change the color temperature on the c1?

Motion on c1 absolutely shits all over Sony XR OLED ; c1 is king of OLED motion.

Chiggs

Motion on c1 absolutely shits all over Sony XR OLED ; c1 is king of OLED motion.

People keep holding fast to that old "Sony does motion and color better" trope that stopped being true several years ago. Hard to break that habit.

The XR chip definitely brings the goods when it comes to upscaling and overall detail, though.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Even though people have laughed at you, you are right, W-OLED is on the way out, QD-OLED is being phased in for most (Samsung and Sony), LG is trying to keep up with overclocked and boosted W-OLED with their EVO panels but they'll be replaced soon enough anyway. MicroLED is the end goal but sadly progress is very slow on that and prices are still in the insane regions.

SteadyEvo

What’s replacing it? Not being a smart ass. I’m not up to date with TV technology.

Edit: nvm just read the above post

Here I am thinking I’m doing something with my x85. That response time sounds nice. If that’s all I’m interested in what’s the best 50-55 in option? Preferably not Samsung cause I already have 2 and they turn each other off with annoys me.

Last edited:
People keep holding fast to that old "Sony does motion and color better" trope that stopped being true several years ago. Hard to break that habit.

The XR chip definitely brings the goods when it comes to upscaling and overall detail, though.
XR chip is a downgrade from prior Sony chips, unfortunately.

It's still going to give you better gradients and upscaling than the c1 (not sure about c2, but c2 is a no no because they stripped 120hz bfi from it, of which c1 had the best implementation) but the XR's reality creation upscaling has some weird AI processing that scrubs away detail in some areas, and artificially sharpens others. In that regard, X1 ultimate and x1 extreme are much better.

Not to mention the a80k is just a gimped version of the a80j because again, 2022 oleds have worse motion across the board due to only having 60hz bfi.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You seriously lose a lot of credibility when you say things like that. I changed tons of settings on both for hours.

At best motion on c1 is slightly better in some cases, slightly worse in others. They are both in the same class - excellent.

Kilau

There is no perfect TV. Just get one that has the features you want and the downsides you can live with the easiest.

Top Bottom