• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you really need to buy an new oled - the reason might surprise you

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol. Enjoy your worse version of the a80j.

Be glad you can't tell the motion apart, I guess, if this thread isn't just a troll.

Your opinion isn't fact, hate to break it to you.
I can tell the motion apart just fine. How many hours you spend comparing them head to head?

THE DUCK

XR chip is a downgrade from prior Sony chips, unfortunately.

It's still going to give you better gradients and upscaling than the c1 (not sure about c2, but c2 is a no no because they stripped 120hz bfi from it, of which c1 had the best implementation) but the XR's reality creation upscaling has some weird AI processing that scrubs away detail in some areas, and artificially sharpens others. In that regard, X1 ultimate and x1 extreme are much better.

Not to mention the a80k is just a gimped version of the a80j because again, 2022 oleds have worse motion across the board due to only having 60hz bfi.

Who cares about BFI? I mean seriously not needed on an oled.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What’s replacing it? Not being a smart ass. I’m not up to date with TV technology.

Edit: nvm just read the above post

Here I am thinking I’m doing something with my x85. That response time sounds nice. If that’s all I’m interested in what’s the best 50-55 in option? Preferably not Samsung cause I already have 2 and they turn each other off with annoys me.
Y YCoCg summed it up well. It may be too soon to wait for micro LED, but QD-OLED is available now and affordable. I would still personally wait until next year though.

HTK

Banned
Response time in OLED TVs are insane but don’t forget Input Lag is also extremely low right there with top end gaming monitors.

THE DUCK

Response time in OLED TVs are insane but don’t forget Input Lag is also extremely low right there with top end gaming monitors.

This was basically the point of starting the thread, to convey just how great games feel on these to actually play.

I got a C9 and should be good for this generation. I'll only upgrade if I reaaaally need to. But if you got an oled c9 or better you good.

Burn in is still too much of a risk for me with my gaming habits.
Its not an issue for modern oleds unless you doing something like digital signage in a commercial space. Unless you playing thousands of hours of one game straight with no other content you should be good.

Last edited:
you are comparing an oled against a low range led, medium low being very very generous.

An LED that is not even FALD, even if it was a basic one like the X90 or Q80

Very fair

Each one should buy what they think is appropriate, but if you are going to compare, compare TVs of the same range

look this

I repeat, that everyone buy what they want or can, but if you are going to compare ... apples with apples

Right but for awhile rtings(the most reputable place for display reviews) and HDTV test have OLEDs as the overall best TVs for picture quality and gaming. So it's not like older LCD tech really is better at those aspects.

My opinion is that while OLED is the best, but it's not the only solution. Even my IPS monitor can show more impressive bright scenes then my LG CX. I'd be interested in seeing screens directly compared, but I also think there isn't an objective way to do so

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ive had oleds for the past five years. I upgraded to my second one, the c1 a few months ago. Id never go back to an lcd tv

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Even though people have laughed at you, you are right, W-OLED is on the way out, QD-OLED is being phased in for most (Samsung and Sony), LG is trying to keep up with overclocked and boosted W-OLED with their EVO panels but they'll be replaced soon enough anyway. MicroLED is the end goal but sadly progress is very slow on that and prices are still in the insane regions.
why's microled the end goal now?

YCoCg

Individual RGB LEDs per pixel with a high grade nit output level and long life/less chance of burn-in compared to OLED. So pretty much the benefits of both tech without the flaws of both tech.

Downside being, the lowest screen size at 4k is currently still around 85 inches and the cost of the tech is stupid high as it's not mass produced.

It might not be, it might be too expensive for mass production. I guess Samsung electronics doesn't think so, but. Wouldn't be the first time a display tech couldn't get out the gate.

Samsung qned, the successor to qd OLED is basically the same thing in practice ; inorganic self emissive, quantum dot color conversion with much higher brightness than OLED.

It will also come much sooner.

I guess micro led could be the end game in that it could reach 10,000(!) nits, but... Honestly that seems insane to me, how are you going to watch hdr in a dark room with that? lol.

For my money, qned is basically the end game, for picture detail anyway, motion will need many more years of improvement.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I guess micro led could be the end game in that it could reach 10,000(!) nits, but... Honestly that seems insane to me, how are you going to watch hdr in a dark room with that? lol.
i dont like the idea of looking head on at a 10 thousand nit TV. At that point it's like looking into the sun

Chiggs

XR chip is a downgrade from prior Sony chips, unfortunately.

It's still going to give you better gradients and upscaling than the c1 (not sure about c2, but c2 is a no no because they stripped 120hz bfi from it, of which c1 had the best implementation) but the XR's reality creation upscaling has some weird AI processing that scrubs away detail in some areas, and artificially sharpens others. In that regard, X1 ultimate and x1 extreme are much better.

Not to mention the a80k is just a gimped version of the a80j because again, 2022 oleds have worse motion across the board due to only having 60hz bfi.

I’ve come around on the XR after some initial WTFs and have found it to be a worthy follow-up to the X1 Ultimate or X1 Extreme. I’m comparing my A90j to a 950g and 930e, and it’s hardly a clinical trial, but I *think* I’m seeing some tangible differences that are usually better than what the other TVs are doing—and not a marketing placebo. In some cases, yeah, things can get a little weird as the computer attempts to present you with extra detail in an area that really didn’t need it, or just misjudges altogether.

And totally agree on the C2…what a letdown. To think, some people missed out on good C1 deals because they were holding out for a C2.

THE DUCK

Had a x900h prior to my C1. Only thing I preferred on the x900h is no crushed blacks (dark corners/rooms kill me in games like warzone). Otherwise, OLED for life.

See that's one of the things that I don't see only the a80k vs the c1. I suspect it's fixed on the c2 as well.

THE DUCK

I’ve come around on the XR after some initial WTFs and have found it to be a worthy follow-up to the X1 Ultimate or X1 Extreme. I’m comparing my A90j to a 950g and 930e, and it’s hardly a clinical trial, but I *think* I’m seeing some tangible differences that are usually better than what the other TVs are doing—and not a marketing placebo. In some cases, yeah, things can get a little weird as the computer attempts to present you with extra detail in an area that really didn’t need it, or just misjudges altogether.

And totally agree on the C2…what a letdown. To think, some people missed out on good C1 deals because they were holding out for a C2.

I had a x900e with I think was the x1, I don't see the xr as step back either. For the most part it does an excellent job.

Sleepwalker

I have a c1, an a80j and A1, love them all to bits, yes including the A1 (cost me 700 at 55 inch). Once you go OLED you cant go back.

Regarding the lg vs sony debate. I prefer the Sony for my bedroom, picture imo looks better for tv shows and movies (ive had it professionally calibrated as well) and is just fine for gaming as well on PS5.

The C1 I uss to play PC and xbox games mostly but also content as its in the living room.

TlDR both are great

mxbison

Personally I don't think the size/price trade off is worth it.

I have a 75" Samsung QLED 120hz which is great for gaming. Yes OLED would be even better but that shit would've cost me like double the amount or I'd have to go way smaller in size.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The tread title reads like a clickbait article that when clicked on doesn't go to the article but instead to a page full of ads you cannot remove.

THE DUCK

I have a c1, an a80j and A1, love them all to bits, yes including the A1 (cost me 700 at 55 inch). Once you go OLED you cant go back.

Regarding the lg vs sony debate. I prefer the Sony for my bedroom, picture imo looks better for tv shows and movies (ive had it professionally calibrated as well) and is just fine for gaming as well on PS5.

The C1 I uss to play PC and xbox games mostly but also content as its in the living room.

TlDR both are great

Exactly, both are great.
StateofMajora would have you think your Sony was garbage vs your c1 and yet doesn't seem to own one. Should be some sort of rule against such blatant bs, maybe he works for lg or something.

THE DUCK

"The reason might surprise you"

LOL its like a clickbait ad.

Ok so a little bit, but the intent is pure - to let as many die hard gamers know that the biggest reason to upgrade isn't picture quality. (Even if it's amazing too)

Top Bottom