• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring over take TLOU2 as the most awarded goty of all time?

Will Elden Ring win more total awards than TLOU2?

• Yes

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 130 53.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly not sure. If so - great. If not - great. It's a game, not a person I actually give a damn about nor something I need to happen (or not) to validate my own personal gaming tastes.

Swift_Star

Banned
People like you are the reason why triple-A games are trash and we're not getting more of the good stuff like Elden Ring.
I played and loved both games, plus I’m a fan of all soulsborne games. I have good taste, you don’t.
I’m actually a gamer and I don’t whine about the games I don’t like.
Jack Nicholson Deal With It GIF

Swift_Star

Banned
So the game part of the game isn't all that good, then?
It is but spin all you want and stay salty. The gameplay is flawless.
The game has multiple difficulty settings and accessibility features. It can be played by those that want a good story and by those that want a hardcore game. The game allows you to be creative and don’t force you to play in a certain way. You’re free to run, do stealth or simply kill everything in your way and you’re the one that chooses how you will do this. The game doesn’t force you to use select weapons or anything.
So sorry, the game is a timeless classic. Pity you can’t see or apreciate that but nothing anyone of the salty guys will take the merit away from the game.
Jesus Reaction GIF

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Oh boy, I think I hit a nerve.

I was asking why the gameplay of a "timeless classic" game didn't warrant a mention - the game part of a game is a pretty important factor in it being a timeless classic game in my opinion. There are thousands of great stories in video games, but they get lost to time because the game that delivers that story ages out of relevancy.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I dont like this tracker thing but i think Witcher 3 has higher percentage of awards, much more than TLOU2.
I recall Witcher 3 at 1st place 59% of total GOTY followed by Resident Evil 4 at 57%
The Last of Us 2 is the most awarded but there was more awards at its year, the percentage is 50% (less than Skyrim, BOTW and Uncharted 2 btw)

As for the OP question: No but it may surpass it with percentage. I think Elden Ring will settle between 48-52%

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

I was asking why the gameplay of a "timeless classic" game didn't warrant a mention - the game part of a game is a pretty important factor in it being a timeless classic game in my opinion. There are thousands of great stories in video games, but they get lost to time because the game that delivers that story ages out of relevancy.
The game has multiple difficulty settings and accessibility features. It can be played by those that want a good story and by those that want a hardcore game. The game allows you to be creative and don’t force you to play in a certain way. You’re free to run, do stealth or simply kill everything in your way and you’re the one that chooses how you will do this. The game doesn’t force you to use select weapons or anything.
So sorry, the game is a timeless classic. Pity you can’t see or apreciate that but nothing anyone of the salty guys will take the merit away from the game.
Jesus Reaction GIF
And, no, you didn’t hit any nerve. You’re not relevant at all.

ZehDon

Gold Member
And, no, you didn’t hit any nerve. You’re not relevant at all.
Oh yeah, I absolutely hit a nerve.

You went back and edited your post after I responded to it to add in an entire rambling paragraph, ending with an attempt at a "mic drop".... because I asked why you didn't highlight the gameplay? I haven't even commented on the game at all - not a single word about it - yet you drop into sixth gear from the get go: "Pity you can’t see or apreciate that but nothing anyone of the salty guys will take the merit away from the game.". Like, what in the holy fuck are you doing?

Lupin25

Nah. Elden Ring was pretty good (despite the latter half of it), but…

The type of game it is just won’t appeal to as large an audience as TLOU2. The stealth gameplay in Pt. II was incredible, though. It’s basically my fix without a new MGS.

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh yeah, I absolutely hit a nerve.

You went back and edited your post after I responded to it to add in an entire rambling paragraph, ending with an attempt at a "mic drop".... because I asked why you didn't highlight the gameplay? I haven't even commented on the game at all - not a single word about it - yet you drop into sixth gear from the get go: "Pity you can’t see or apreciate that but nothing anyone of the salty guys will take the merit away from the game.". Like, what in the holy fuck are you doing?
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Games are an experience and there is more than one aspect of a game that makes it a timeless classic.

Final Fantasy X and VII are going to be remembered for their story more so than the gameplay.
Super Metroid is going to be remembered for its gameplay more than its story.

The Last of Us is considered one of the greatest games of all time mainly because of its story.

These games bring memorable experiences that people want to relive or remember forever.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Games are an experience and there is more than one aspect of a game that makes it a timeless classic.

Final Fantasy X and VII are going to be remembered for their story more so than the gameplay.
Super Metroid is going to be remembered for its gameplay more than its story.

The Last of Us is considered one of the greatest games of all time mainly because of its story.

These games bring memorable experiences that people want to relive or remember forever.
Of course, but the concept of a "timeless classic" is a game that can be played today, tomorrow, or fifty years from now. If the gameplay has aged so poorly that the act of playing it is simply unpalatable, then I'd argue it's not a timeless classic at all. It had a time, its time has passed, and there's nothing wrong with that. Super Mario World is a timeless classic, while once-legendary titles like the OG Wing Commander have shown they aren't - they had an expiry date. There aren't too many games lauded for their narratives that are held up as all time classics years later that also have terrible gameplay. If the gameplay ages out, so does its status. Heavy Rain was once called the best game of all time, and yet, most people have left it behind, while titles like Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines continue to maintain a strong following year after year. Gameplay isn't irrelevant, regardless of how well told a story is.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Of course, but the concept of a "timeless classic" is a game that can be played today, tomorrow, or fifty years from now. If the gameplay has aged so poorly that the act of playing it is simply unpalatable, then I'd argue it's not a timeless classic at all. It had a time, its time has passed, and there's nothing wrong with that. Super Mario World is a timeless classic, while once-legendary titles like the OG Wing Commander have shown they aren't - they had an expiry date. There aren't too many games lauded for their narratives that are held up as all time classics years later that also have terrible gameplay. If the gameplay ages out, so does its status. Heavy Rain was once called the best game of all time, and yet, most people have left it behind, while titles like Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines continue to maintain a strong following year after year. Gameplay isn't irrelevant, regardless of how well told a story is.

Resident Evil 1, 2, Tekken 3 are considered time classics, and these games are older than Heavy Rain.

And just because I said games are remembered for their story doesn't mean the gameplay is irrelevant. If Heavy Rain is being dropped out of people's top 10 games then that means it's not the timeless classic people thought.

Resident Evil 1's gameplay hasn't aged that well at all, but the experience is still great. I can play it tomorrow and still have fun.

You are out to lunch. Its a timeless classic, just like the first game was.

Elden Ring was a lot of hype at launch and a few months after. But all people really talk about now is how many GOTYs it will win. Who's discussing the boss fights? The lore? No one.

TLOU 2, the game still frequently pops up on the main page of every gaming forum on earth 2+ years after its release, people still discuss the game as if it's new. Its started debates like arguably no other game in history.

And its story has easily allowed for the most in depth discussions of video game narrative debates ever.

And thats without even mentioning the fact that people still use it as a bar for animation, facial animation. Linear level design, stealth gameplay, etc. Its a classic through and through.
People aren't talking about Elden Ring lore? What? There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to that

ZehDon

Gold Member
Resident Evil 1, 2, Tekken 3 are considered time classics, and these games are older than Heavy Rain.

And just because I said games are remembered for their story doesn't mean the gameplay is irrelevant. If Heavy Rain is being dropped out of people's top 10 games then that means it's not the timeless classic people thought.

Resident Evil 1's gameplay hasn't aged that well at all
, but the experience is still great. I can play it tomorrow and still have fun.
Age is largely irrelevant; I still think the original Doom is a timeless classic. Heavy Rain is dropping out because its gameplay isn't very good, and never was frankly, so it's just much harder to play through today to enjoy its story. It's story was what people enjoyed enough to call it a timeless classic; time has shown that's simply not the case. And It's story hasn't changed one syllable since the day it was released, so, its all down to its gameplay as to why its no longer considered a timeless classic.

Resident Evil 1's gameplay has aged incredibly well - there's a reason the remake didn't change much other than fixing up the narrative and a fresh coat of paint.

You'll have to provide some examples of games with good stories and terrible gameplay that are still universally praised as timeless classics, or I have to think that my original statements are still on the money. I actually can't think of a single one myself, so I'll be curious what you have to offer, as there may some games I've simply forgotten!

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Age is largely irrelevant; I still think the original Doom is a timeless classic. Heavy Rain is dropping out because its gameplay isn't very good, and never was frankly, so it's just much harder to play through today to enjoy its story. And It's story hasn't changed one syllable since the day it was released, so, its all down to its gameplay as to why its no longer considered a timeless classic.
If Heavy Rain dropped out then it's not a timeless classic. Age is relevant because for it to be considered timeless then it needs to hold up for decades. That's the point of a timeless classic.

Resident Evil 1's gameplay has aged incredibly well - there's a reason the remake didn't change much other than fixing up the narrative and a fresh coat of paint.
Believe it or not, Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 1 Remake are only about 6 years apart.

People have many complaints about the gameplay mechanics of the original. The remake was special is that they improved on the acting, gameplay mechanics, AI, and atmosphere. It was scarier than the original. Most fans of the original 2 games probably won't like fixed camera angles in Resident Evil 9, and probably won't like it in a new Resident Evil 1 remake, but they enjoy it in the original because of the experience that they remember.

You'll have to provide some examples of games with good stories and terrible gameplay that are still universally praised as timeless classics, or I have to think that my original statements are still on the money. I actually can't think of a single one myself, so I'll be curious what you have to offer, as there may some games I've simply forgotten!

Just because I said a game hasn't aged that well, that doesn't mean I think the gameplay is terrible.

But, there are games that people consider classics while having terrible gameplay - Silent Hill 2 being one example. I never played Silent Hill 2 personally, but it's what I hear along when people talk about Silent Hill 2.

There age games that aged well better than others in terms of gameplay, but we still consider them classics because of the experience.

Metroid Dreed was one of my favorite games of 2021, but the original Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Super Metroid were more memorable to me. I think the original Metroid gameplay has aged like shit, but I still consider it a great game.

We remember these games because we think they're great. They become our classics because we remember them long after finishing them. We replay them because we want to experience the game again. If I take Resident Evil's 1 gameplay on the original PSX and make a game based on that in the modern era, then it wouldn't work. People like it in Resident Evil 1 because that's what they remember and the experience wouldn't be the same without it.

EDMIX

If the gameplay has aged so poorly that the act of playing it is simply unpalatable, then I'd argue it's not a timeless classic at all

Ok, but you can argue that about a shitload of games.

A gamer today can play something from 20 or 30 years ago and have the same view on what many of us call "timeless classics" as you are basing this on how a current gamer would see those titles "fiddy years" from now lol

The game based on sight, sound and gameplay can be completed today, I doubt in 50 year someone won't know how to fucking move a controller, aim and shoot lol

relax bud, its not that fucking serious and I'm sure lots of gamers 50 years from now will play a lot of theses games based on their parents (ie us) to see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad to even see lots of young gamers that played thru the older RE titles.

In comparison to 3rd person horrors today, they are old af, but they can be completed and young gamers today still understand what those concepts were about, even with being dated, they still understand the fixed camera, puzzles etc. Even the stories of those games not being told like how they are told today, that hasn't stopped new gamers from playing those older games and fully understanding what is going on.

Give em credit and stop belittling people as if in the future they won't have any idea how to move or control a character or something lol Someone will give a fuck cause we have gamers all the time today discovering games we consider classics.

Using your logic btw, nothing can be "timeless".

Handel

Unlikely, since there is greater competition this year. Beyond that there isn't consistency in how many outlets give out GOTY year after year, nor is there consistency in which outlets are counted by the GOTY tracker sites. Percentage of awards is a more impressive metric than gross number, and ER could well get a higher percentage of GOTY awards than TLOU2. TLOU 2 is only 7th place in terms of percentage of GOTY awards vs the field, below Witcher 3, Skyrim, RE4, God of War 2018, BOTW and Uncharted 2.

anthony2690

Banned
No, now I look back I'm surprised it won game of the year too.

I think it is the game of the year and the best game to come out this year.

But when I look at the acheivements, only 52% have beat the first boss, I wonder what percentage this is on other platforms.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
2020 was a great year.

TLOU 2
Half-Life Alyx
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
FF7 Remake
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Cyberpunk 2077
Doom Eternal
Yakuza Like a Dragon
Demons Souls
Flight Simulator

Much better than this year.

The salt has been flowing like crazy the past couple of days :)
You're right, it was actually an amazing year....don't mind me. I'm just sat here baffled that there were so many amazing games released that year but last of us 2 won so many awards and some were spread out to the other amazing games on that list.....crazy.

Says who? The unexpected turns the story takes, well written dialog, scenes and universal themes made that game a timeless classic.It’s fine not to like classics, I don’t like some of them.
Everything you mentioned has nothing to do with the game parts and maybe that's my problem. I'm glad you liked it that much though but I can legit only name like a few sections that I thought were incredible in a game that far outstayed its welcome. The flaws in such a story based game made it even worse.

-characters completely forgotten about literally seconds after they die.
-far too long
-painfully over violent like someone was having an eli Roth orgy but just not even well done really, just felt like violence to be violent.
-lacked all the specialness that made the first game an actual timeless master piece imo.
-Ellie is just plain awful and should have died at the end.

Good shit.
-sniper section stealth bit.
-abby.
-abby scared of heights.
-abby section working through large building.
-abby basement section.
-abby fire town.
-walk up to last fight...fight. strong ending.
-abby.

Just my opinion. Great game and could hopefully become a decent ish middle film in a strong 3 part chapter with context but it needs a lot of improvements.

It will never be an empire strikes back dark middle chapter. It lacks the finesse.

Last edited:

Vick

Gameplay is by far the best aspect of TLOU Part II, so reading this last page surely is kind of surreal.
Heavy Rain? WTF has a literal movie game with no gameplay like HR to do with a game featuring the best survival gameplay in the genre by a country mile?

It's the only aspect along with production values which is completely unmatched.
And it's not going to age because mechanics are deep enough, snappy enough, and controls strike the perfect balance between animations/input latency.. it will always feel good.

If it wasn't for gameplay, Part II would be not only the most disappointing game ever to me but my most hated piece of entertainment media as well.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I played and loved both games, plus I’m a fan of all soulsborne games. I have good taste, you don’t.
I’m actually a gamer and I don’t whine about the games I don’t like.
Jack Nicholson Deal With It GIF
Oh okay, that explains a lot. Only someone who unironically brags about being a "gamer" would enjoy shitty games like TLOU2.

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh okay, that explains a lot. Only someone who unironically brags about being a "gamer" would enjoy shitty games like TLOU2.
Stop whining and grow up.
You're right, it was actually an amazing year....don't mind me. I'm just sat here baffled that there were so many amazing games released that year but last of us 2 won so many awards and some were spread out to the other amazing games on that list.....crazy.

Everything you mentioned has nothing to do with the game parts and maybe that's my problem. I'm glad you liked it that much though but I can legit only name like a few sections that I thought were incredible in a game that far outstayed its welcome. The flaws in such a story based game made it even worse.

-characters completely forgotten about literally seconds after they die.
-far too long
-painfully over violent like someone was having an eli Roth orgy but just not even well done really, just felt like violence to be violent.
-lacked all the specialness that made the first game an actual timeless master piece imo.
-Ellie is just plain awful and should have died at the end.

Good shit.
-sniper section stealth bit.
-abby.
-abby scared of heights.
-abby section working through large building.
-abby basement section.
-abby fire town.
-walk up to last fight...fight. strong ending.
-abby.

Just my opinion. Great game and could hopefully become a decent ish middle film in a strong 3 part chapter with context but it needs a lot of improvements.

It will never be an empire strikes back dark middle chapter. It lacks the finesse.
Unfortunately for you, you don't get to decide this.
Get over yourself.

T4keD0wN

There is probably more publications today than 2 years ago, so the chance is there?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This site is no longer online to track, eh?

tommib

This site is no longer online to track, eh?

Nope which is weird since it was up for many years going back to when Dragon Age: Inquisition was GOTY. Wonder what brought it down. Maybe the gameawards domain? I can’t seem to find an alternative.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Everyone and their mom jumped on the bandwagon to give TLOU2 an award because of the whole controversy.
People love drama.
Elden Ring‘s situation isnt nearly as drama loaded so there is no chance.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Gameplay is by far the best aspect of TLOU Part II, so reading this last page surely is kind of surreal.
Heavy Rain? WTF has a literal movie game with no gameplay like HR to do with a game featuring the best survival gameplay in the genre by a country mile?

It's the only aspect along with production values which is completely unmatched.
And it's not going to age because mechanics are deep enough, snappy enough, and controls strike the perfect balance between animations/input latency.. it will always feel good.

If it wasn't for gameplay, Part II would be not only the most disappointing game ever to me but my most hated piece of entertainment media as well.
You consistently post thoughts straight out of my own head. It's starting to get weird man.

Handel

There is probably more publications today than 2 years ago, so the chance is there?
Not necessarily, in terms of publications that meet the qualifications of the people tracking and how many outlets choose to do a proper end of year GOTY list the amount varies year by year. 2020 had a lot more counted publications than any previous year, over 200 more than 2021's count. This is why percentage of awards>gross number of awards.

For reference here are the tallies for total GOTY lists counted from previous years :

• 2021 - 432
  • 2020 - 640
  • 2019 - 465
  • 2018 - 518
  • 2017 - 462
  • 2016 - 480
  • 2015 - 476
  • 2014 - 433
  • 2013 - 540
  • 2012 - 395
  • 2011 - 410
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Not necessarily, in terms of publications that meet the qualifications of the people tracking and how many outlets choose to do a proper end of year GOTY list the amount varies year by year. 2020 had a lot more counted publications than any previous year, over 200 more than 2021's count. This is why percentage of awards>gross number of awards.

For reference here are the tallies for total GOTY lists counted from previous years :

• 2021 - 432
  • 2020 - 640
  • 2019 - 465
  • 2018 - 518
  • 2017 - 462
  • 2016 - 480
  • 2015 - 476
  • 2014 - 433
  • 2013 - 540
  • 2012 - 395
  • 2011 - 410
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40

Man whatever game won 2020's GOTY must have had an easy time breaking records with all those new GOTY awards coming out of the woodwork specifically for that year and then disappearing the next...

But just to make sure that this is all above bar, you got a source on those numbers?

Last edited:

Handel

Man whatever game won 2020's GOTY must have had an easy time breaking records with all those new GOTY awards coming out of the woodwork specifically for that year and then disappearing the next...

But just to make sure that this is all above bar, you got a source on those numbers?
Numbers come from the gameawards.net site, though I copy-pasted those totals from ResetEra's tracking thread, and they calculated them from the gameawards.net totals. Site has been down for weeks but can still be viewed through the web archive :

https://web.archive.org/web/20221120020520/https://www.gameawards.net/2020/09/2013.html

2013 also had a spike, so I think it's largely down to new console generation driving more outlets to give out GOTY. 2020 being the height of the pandemic also would naturally boost numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom