• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenTzen

noth america?
dont know, sony still has the more powerful console, better design and mindshare, and this announcement just gives them more time to prepare should sales start slipping

rest of the world MS has no chance in hell

Guymelef

Did people forget the 360 beat PS3 during maybe 2 years straight last gen ?

And what has power anything to do with it ?

Don't know if people are just wishful thinking or if they have memory loss.

The answer is probably yes.

Did people forget the PS2 beat XBOX during maybe 2 years straight last gen ?

Things change...

Loudninja

You do realize that was a a very different situation correct?

Raist

Banned

Besides I'm pretty sure MS sells more copies of Windows than Sony sells Bravias, so I mean that should tell you all you need to know about the future evolution of this battle.

Usobuko

Banned
Microsoft has halo and the ability to secure exclusives relevant to the US while Sony doesn't.

Makes one wonder if Microsoft should have gun for what Sony partnered with Watch Dogs and Destiny instead. Surely these 2 are relevant to the US of A?

It sold a million copies in 9 days. I wouldn't be surprised if Infamous Second Son lifetime sales exceed Titanfall for Xbone. Being a single player game allows it to be sold much further in the cycle.

Lol, let's not kid ourselfs now, Infamous SS will not outsell TF on XOne, the legs of Titanfall will be much better intermediately.

Nafai1123

Banned
Did people forget the 360 beat PS3 during maybe 2 years straight last gen with a price advantage and better multiplats?

FTFY.

Dr.brain64

Usually the most powerfull tech never wins but sony has truck good (perfect?) balance between power and price. I still don't see it on micro's end.

The only reason that happened is because sony had a lot of sales worldwide to make up for NA. Now they got at least even in NA and winning everywhere else. It's like an electoral map there's no path for MS in my eyes without building up a huge lead in NA.

Famassu

No, but it'll help close the gap somewhat.
Unless Sony screws up E3 massively, I doubt they'll close the gap that much. It might help it not get too much bigger, but it's still the weaker console with the worse mindshare. Halo 2 Anniversary will probably help a bit, but other than that I can't see stuff like Sunset Overdrive & D4 really helping close in the gap when multiplatforms (which, really, are the majority of games sold) are still better on PS4. They'll need to have something more.

Interestingly, PS4 will now be more expensive than XBO in Canada.

Do we already know if it's really gonna be 400$ and not 450$ like the PS4?

Btw, kinda unrelated, but where I work, since the price hike of the PS4, we've been selling a lot (and I mean A LOT) less PS4. Currently, for each XBO sold, we sell two PS4 and four Wii U. I wonder if the pricedrop will change something.

Stimpack

This will help close the gap, I think, but I also think that E3 will have significant sway this year. Either Microsoft will deliver and they'll still be playing catch-up, or Sony will deliver and they'll widen it even more. Don't forget that a lot of these purchases will lead to more purchases, simply because friends want to play together. I think that was a big reason behind the 360's success.

Not sure about America, but in Australia pre-orders for the new XBOne SKU are cheaper than the PS4 currently is at $499(compared to $549 for PS4). I think Sony needs to reduce the price in Australia to match it.

Dizzy

Banned
Probably not. I mean ps4 prices are consistent, xbox has been slashed ruthlessly.

I'm sure sony could have a mini price drop of their own by now if they really wanted/need to.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The piece about the "price drop" is the current top article on Boston.com; I think this will make a difference to the average person. Especially those who had a 360 last gen, haven't bought a new console yet, and don't like change; Xbox One is the easier, more familiar choice.

So, yeah, I think it could happen.

They should allow early adopters to trade in their useless fucking Kinects for a free game or something, though.

noth america?
dont know, sony still has the more powerful console, better design and mindshare, and this announcement just gives them more time to prepare should sales start slipping

rest of the world MS has no chance in hell

Do you even thread title?

Pretty sure it says North America.

AmyS

No.

Microsoft only has the potential to close the gap with PS4, but only to an extent, at best, in North America.

This console cycle won't drag on for 7-8 years like last gen. It'll probably be more like 6 years. By Fall 2019, the PS5 will probably on the market and sold out, assuming Sony doesn't make any MAJOR mistakes.

Xbox One is doing worse than PS3 did at launch in late '06 and in '07.

I don't believe Xbox One will die like the Wii U is dying, but MS almost certainly will not catch Sony in North America, let alone worldwide (Sony owns the UK / EU this gen with PS4).

prwxv3

No.

Microsoft only has the potential to close the gap with PS4, but only to an extent, at best, in North America.

This console cycle won't drag on for 7-8 years like last gen. It'll probably be more like 6 years. By Fall 2019, the PS5 will probably on the market and sold out, assuming Sony doesn't make any MAJOR mistakes.

I don't believe Xbox One will die like the Wii U is dying, but MS almost certainly will not catch Sony in North America, let alone worldwide (Sony owns the UK / EU this gen with PS4).
i dont think this is true

Savitar

Sony currently still maintains the advantage, a lot due to the system still being more powerful and the image they have cultivated since the system debuted. It's a powerful combination that MS will struggle to match.

They of course would have had an easier time of it if not for the massive mistakes before and at launch with the stuff that got out there.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
No.

ohh common
RRnhhqW.gif

Leflus

No.

soclosehf1.gif

No.

If PS4 continues to dominate the X1, MS will either release their next console after 3 or 4 years to try to beat Sony to the gate again like they did with the 360 or they will exit the console race. The new policies in place where people don't have to subscribe to Live to use Netflix and the like is going to hurt their bottom line, along with a dwindling marketshare. I'd say this will be Microsoft's last console, but I think it will largely depend on how the rest of Microsoft is doing at that point. I don't see them taking the lead this generation or any other generation unless Sony makes mistakes.

Honestly i'm not sure.

Still plenty of previous X360 owners that haven't decided and its easy to chain your XBL and get an upgrade, but I wonder if the well has been poisoned too much

I'd say this fall unless Sony does a price drop, MS wins the US sales

Even with all the baggage they weren't losing by much already in US

Globally? and Word wide that is Sony all the way

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So let me see here:

- They force DRM because "it's the future" - They remove DRM
- They force Kinect because "it's the future" - They remove Kinect

Now they sell a much weaker PS4 for the same price

Why americans should trust Microsoft? It makes no sense....

Yep. Nobody should trust Microsoft when they're this ready and willing to try and make their product competitive.

I mean what's next, a pack-in game? No vision.

So many of the 360 hardcore, myself included, already switched sides. And with The need for PS+ and LIVE, you'll see far far less multi console owners.

Xbox will do somewhat better with price parity, but I see the dice already rolled and rallied barring a MAJOR asteroid hit. Hell as soon as Sony drops price, they end up in the same place, with no Kinect to ditch. Whoever launches at a lower price has the luxury of always being lor again when they are ready.

PS2 to PS3 should have tougher us that there is no such thing as brand loyalty. LOL

Certainly not this year. They could theoretically pull off a PS3 style late generation comeback, but they'll need compelling exclusives to do that.

The PS3 comeback took place OUTSIDE of the US and UK market. For those two territories, things stayed the same...

orochi91

If PS4 continues to dominate the X1, MS will either release their next console after 3 or 4 years to try to beat Sony to the gate again like they did with the 360 or they will exit the console race. The new policies in place where people don't have to subscribe to Live to use Netflix and the like is going to hurt their bottom line, along with a dwindling marketshare. I'd say this will be Microsoft's last console, but I think it will largely depend on how the rest of Microsoft is doing at that point. I don't see them taking the lead this generation or any other generation unless Sony makes mistakes.

I sincerely doubt we will seeing any new consoles for at least 5-6 years given
how insane game development costs have become. Perhaps even longer.
I don't even think MS investors will even stomach another R&D binge that soon for
another consoles.

Not immediately, but they will close the gap.

You can't close a gap until you stop the bleeding.

If the PS4 dominates the Xbox One all gen there will not be another Xbox console.

Amir0x

Banned
The only reason that happened is because sony had a lot of sales worldwide to make up for NA. Now they got at least even in NA and winning everywhere else. It's like an electoral map there's no path for MS in my eyes without building up a huge lead in NA.

Yeah, that's on the money. Microsoft needs to establish a huge lead in North America for them to even come close to sales parity with Sony this go around. They are not only going to fail to do that, it's unlikely they will even win in NA. But even if they do, they'd have to make ridiculous gains for the next few years to offset how badly they lose everywhere else on the planet.

Yep. Nobody should trust Microsoft when they're this ready and willing to try and make their product competitive.

I mean what's next, a pack-in game? No vision.
I mean, if bread and circuses are your thing...but a lot of people buy a console on the hope of what's coming to the system down the road. I don't see why a company scrambling to react to the competitor would instantly earn my trust. Would it help earn trust? Sure. Would it help dispell negative feelings toward the company? Yeah. But trust? I should trust Microsoft because they seem ready and willing to compete, based on behavior over 18 months alone? Hmmm.

And since when was a price drop and a pack-in considered "vision"? There's another word most people use: "reactionary".

Depends. This is third generation since Xbox's conception and its 2nd generation where it's losing so you tell us.

Answer one question first, do you want them out? I often get the feeling those who keep saying this either hate the company and/or are just loyal Sony fans.

Vylsith

Banned
Besides I'm pretty sure MS sells more copies of Windows than Sony sells Bravias, so I mean that should tell you all you need to know about the future evolution of this battle.

Because that has anything to do with the Xbox One and PS4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom