• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think PS4 is still a better deal, specially for the JRPG fan.
The plethora or JRPGs on the console and the waning Japanese interest in console game development really speak to this claim. When a game made by French people is the only Japanese RPG on the console I think we have a problem.

I'm being a dick... but seriously, Level-5/Atlus/Bandai Namco have mercy on our JRPG-loving souls.

I think PS4 is still a better deal, specially for the JRPG fan.

Well that much should be obvious to jrpg fans.

The plethora or JRPGs on the console and the waning Japanese interest in console game development really speak to this claim. When a game made by French people is the only Japanese RPG on the console I think we have a problem.

While I do think output will decrease (that can be said for most genres) its only been 6 months.

RE_Player

I can see the gap closing but I wouldn't be shocked if Sony maintained it's foothold in North America. Worldwide on the other hand Microsoft has zero fucking chance to out sell Sony. I'm shocked they haven't launched in some key markets, basically giving up on them.

I don't know anyone who plans to buy a One. But part of me thinks If MS could sell millions of Kinects, they can sell just about anything.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
You'd be a fool to think if the price cut won't put them in a better place on the market, but whether or not this will pay off for them short term remains to be seen.

BigDug13

Best case scenario is MS reaches relative parity with PS4 in NA and maybe squeaks out a slight lead. Best case.

But overall that's a HUGE drop in marketshare from last gen where they DOMINATED the NA market. So I'm not sure that's going to be a victory even if they achieve it.

Overall they're still going to most likely lose at least 33% of their overall marketshare WW from 360 to XBO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There's simply no way of saying. Sony had a rough start with the PS3 but ended up kicking ass. Microsoft damaged the Xbox brand really badly over the past year, but they're rapidly recovering. Think back to where they were after last year's E3 and where they are now. They're not doing so bad, considering.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they can keep the gap narrow so Sony doesn't snowball in sales, then I expect MS will be satisfied. I'm not sure they need to dominate or even exceed Sony sales, as long as they get good sales, aren't too far behind, and those customers are live subscribers and buying lots of games

Fox Mulder

Price parity makes it easier to overlook the xb1's flaws, but it's actually a worse deal without Kinect than it was a few weeks ago on sale at every retailer. The ps4 still beat it.

it was $450 with titanfall or forza and even 12 months Live, plus it still had Kinect.

spekkeh

Banned
Nah we saw with Wii U how much price cuts and even killer exclusives helped a console with little mindshare. The Xbox brand is done for. Over the course of the 360's life it became clear to gamers that Microsoft doesn't really care for games. They chose the other team and the casuals buy what their friends in the know have. And that's even aside from the fact that you now get a worse console for the same price.

I can see MS market it more aggressively in the US though, which over time could lead to a neck and neck situation. But that's talking a full generation.

Kru

They might be able to build up a decent bit of momentum however i dont think they will cut into ps4 sales.

I think most ps4 owners who jumped ship from xbox 360, might now see the xbox one as
a viable purchase for a second console. This could potentially make up a big chunk of their
future sales going forward. With the dropping of paywalls and kinect, even i'm tempted to buy, but i think i will wait until it has built up a large catalogue of games, i expect to
stick with ps4 as my main console for multiplats and multiplayer in general, so i dont
mind picking up xbox one maybe 2 or 3 years down the line.

Doubt it, all they did was achieve parity. Might close the gap a lil bit, but doubt they will over take sony in the states.

off topic: your avatar man, my favourite album of all time.

shink

PS4 and Xbone are on $30 different at retail here in Aus, anecdotally at least, I don't know anyone interested in Xbone. Know about 12 PS4 owners excluding me.

I think XBone needs more than a price drop to change perceptions it is a worse gaming console.

PS4 will be the more expensive console after the price drop ($499 compared with $549). Sony Australia better be thinking about dropping the price to at least $499 considering the Australia Sony tax they add from $399 USD + tax to $549 AUD (tax inc)

killatopak

Gold Member
People quickly dismiss MS exclusive offering base on first party lineup, but MS can hire any studio to make exclusive for them.
They can fund any studio to make new IP like Ryse, SO, QB, or revive old IP like KI.
MS got the wallet and own lots of valuable IP, I wouldn't under estimate them on exclusive front.

Let's see what Sony have under their sleeves.

The problem with all of MS' money is that it isn't exclusive to the Xbox Division. You got stockholders who wants to sell off the Xbox division because it wasn't profitable enough. What makes you think they want to spend more on the Xbox Division? This is especially true now that the recent TF bundle didn't really do as well as expected.

On the other hand, Sony's Playstation division is actually one of the divisions of Sony that is making them money so they're the ones who have more leeway for exclusive deals.

Let me put it this way. MS can still survive without Xbox. Sony needs Playstation to strive.

I'm being a dick... but seriously, Level-5/Atlus/Bandai Namco have mercy on our JRPG-loving souls.

Capcom is french?

P. Fembot

Banned
With Halo, Titanfall and similar they may get a lot of dudebros.

Now that prices are pretty equal, it comes down to the games for the common person.

Faith

I'm always wondering if these kind of posts are meant to be a joke, or.... ?
The "war will be over" is more of a joke, but I'm still serious.

Halo is sooooo big the USA. It played a major part in the leadership of the Xbox360 in this country.

Its not gonna be that easy, the gap is much closer though. Spec wise, PS4 is just the better deal. XB1 should be cheaper.
It didn't even outsell the PS4 with the Titanfall Bundle, so yeah.
There are people who still think XB1 can't play used games.
A couple of people I talked to are jumping ship to PS4 due to better multiplats.
Its good that a couple of the apps don't require a paywall in June.

Orayn

Halo is sooooo big the USA. It played a major part in the leadership of the Xbox360 in this country.

The series has lost a lot of momentum, though. Look at Halo 4.

8LJh0.png

CozMick

Banned
In the US I can see ms closing the gap but never catching up.

Worldwide? Not a hope in hell.

I can already pick up an Xbox one with kinect and titanfall for £349 or €399 and there still ain't a thirst for the console.

Losing the gimmick gives it less value for £349

Boss Mog

No, PS4 is still more powerful. Americans are the ultimate consumers, they take whatever gives them the best bang for their buck.

EGM1966

No. It'll help keep gap closer but unless US responds differently than I'd expect the PS4 remains the more powerful device with the same online features now and the better version of most multi-plat games. I actually think that probably drives more sales than exclusives now looking at last gen.

Faith

We will see how much Halo 4 damaged the franchise.
How do you mean that? Every Halo main game sold around 10 million copies since Halo 2.

I know the ratings, but it's common for many game series to have much better ratings at the beginning of a generation. The expectations always rise up over the years.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The lower price, one year head start and better multiplats had a lot more to do with it.
None of those apply now.

There seems to be a good chance that Halo 5 won't come out until Fall 2015. Assuming it's Halo 2 Anniversary (along with Sunset Overdrive and possibly Quantum Break) Fall 2014, do you really think Microsoft will be able to "end the war" next fall?

n0tail

Banned
They have bigger exclusive shooter franchises like Halo and Gears that are what really move consoles in the US.

The Halo/Gears/CoD crowd was huge on 360 and a lot of them haven't moved into next gen yet.

Brand loyalty is probably strong there, many probably have years of Live in their accounts, prefer the Live gaming set up etc etc.

I agree with you a lot here. Microsoft has the better exclusives that sell to the American crowd. Look at Fall 2014 and you'll have Halo, an online multiplayer shooter with what will be insane marketing. What does Sony have? A single player third person cover shooter set in England with old weapons. Which title will appeal to the college kids looking to have that "current gen dudebro party"?

Prine

Banned
Yep, I'm expecting them to dominate Christmas, especially if Halo 2 anniversary is announced combined with SO, Quantum Break. Strong selection of shooters now and on the horizon (Gears/Halo), price is right, they've made the right moves to position themselves for a comeback.

ah_hia

Their sales will increase but Sony will still be in the lead.It will take a lot of good games and good will before they ever reach 1 again.

RulkezX

Yep, I'm expecting them to dominate Christmas, especially if Halo 2 anniversary is announced combined with SO, Quantum Break. Strong selection of shooters now and on the horizon (Gears/Halo), price is right, they've made the right moves to position themselves for a comeback.

If they dominate Christmas it'll be because of CoD , not a 10 year old Halo port.

BBboy20

I agree with you a lot here. Microsoft has the better exclusives that sell to the American crowd. Look at Fall 2014 and you'll have Halo, an online multiplayer shooter with what will be insane marketing. What does Sony have? A single player third person cover shooter set in England with old weapons. Which title will appeal to the college kids looking to have that "current gen dudebro party"?
Guess that will depend how Halo 5 turns out to begin with.

Guerrilla

He should have stopped at 2.

Well, Kinect, Snapping, TV Integration and so on will be more important to real casuals, which will only start buying consoles at a price like 249€ or 199$. This battle could still shift a lot when we get to that turf. Until then, only a galore of AAA exclusives can help ms.

driver116

How do you mean that? Every Halo main game sold around 10 million copies since Halo 2.

I know the ratings, but it's common for many game series to have much better ratings at the beginning of a generation. The expectations always rise up over the years.

I found Halo 4 to be such a turd entry, hence my interest in the franchise is at 0. They need to really reboot the series with 5, and not follow 4 in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom