• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 vs. Windows 10

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So apparently the TPM is not the issue with my laptop not being able to get the Win 11 upgrade.

Going by their System Health Checkup app, it is my 4 core, 4 thread CPU which is waaaay in excess of the requirements that is not compatible with the requirements.

The fuck ..

I know there are ways to use the iso and do registry hacks to get it working regardless, but it is real weird that a modern 3, 4 year old laptop is not compatible with win 11.

Last edited:
Nah they won't. They learnt from Metro (which later turned into Fluent Design System instead), although it wasn't primarily a touch screen interface per se, but the Swiss type graphic design felt ill fit for a desktop computer.. These early screens don't have much value unless the context directly from MS is attached. Anyway there's nothing in the way in 2022 to have both touch and mouse navigation grounded in the same OS. It only matters how you deal with the implementation (task bar to be taller with more air and less clutter when touch f.ex.). Design goals before completing a design system is not the same as the complete look and feel, it just tries to meet design goals (which is a moving target, hence prototyping) set for navigation philosophy, often different from content ready designs. Our final designs with including skinning (which we do much faster than the prototyping phase) looks very different much for the same reason. Design is a beautiful chaotic symphony. And it moves in wave of infinite versions internally, workshops, countless for customers, user testing, many for exhibitions, many for PR, many just for fun, experiments, some for the higher ups etc. etc.
Yeah yeah. I'm a designer as well, I just don't share the optimism.

I disagree that when a company doesn't get it when prototyping things to the point they get shown they're still "oh, we're only playing around lol" or that they'll get it in the end when they're basically doubling down on Windows 11 amateurish interface mistakes.

Plus Microsoft doesn't have a good track record for good UI design, but I digress. They don't even understand what works and what doesn't with their interface, as they've shown time and time again.
As far as I know direct storage is not supported in Windows 10, only 11 right?
No, it's supported in Windows 10 as well, as will DirectStorage 1.1.

Even if they didn't support it, Windows 10 and Windows 11 are so close when it comes to kernel that if they did something like that I'm sure the community would have it working in weeks.
So apparently the TPM is not the issue with my laptop not being able to get the Win 11 upgrade.

Going by their System Health Checkup app, it is my 4 core, 4 thread CPU which is waaaay in excess of the requirements that is not compatible with the requirements.
Which CPU do you have?

Zen 1 or Skylake/Kaby Lake?

Last edited:
Kaby Lake
Yeah, lol. I messed with those, TPM 2.0 on board, quad core cpu... same IPC as next years Coffee Lake/Whiskey Lake... But no, we won't allow it.

Then they made a few exceptions for 7th gen cpu's one of them only because they still sold a PC that had a 7th gen intel CPU:

Microsoft will support some, but not most, 7th-gen Intel Core CPUs in Windows 11

If the decision to support one specific 7th-generation Core i7 laptop processor strikes you as odd, you don't need to look far for an explanation—this just happens to be the CPU included in Microsoft's Surface Studio 2, which Microsoft still sells but has not updated in three years. That Microsoft was about to stop supporting a PC it is currently selling and for which it controls everything from the firmware to the drivers earned the company some well-deserved scorn from users and the press. Adding support for it is laudable, but it's also the bare minimum.
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/

Proving that yeah, nothing wrong with Kaby Lake other than the fact you can put Kaby Lake CPU's on Skylake motherboards and those motherboards didn't have to have TPM 2.0 support (but might still). HUGE SECURITY DANGER, the 0,1% enthusiasts who updated the CPU from a Skylake i5-6500 to a Kaby Lake i7-7700K.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah yeah. I'm a designer as well, I just don't share the optimism.

I disagree that when a company doesn't get it when prototyping things to the point they get shown they're still "oh, we're only playing around lol" or that they'll get it in the end when they're basically doubling down on Windows 11 amateurish interface mistakes.

Plus Microsoft doesn't have a good track record for good UI design, but I digress. They don't even understand what works and what doesn't with their interface, as they've shown time and time again.

Nice, my apologies. I agree with all of the above. I'm a bit gullible I guess because my brain can't comprehend a huge company like MS stumble in design processes that has become more or less a de facto standard in design. And not the least the gold mine they have in learning from past mistakes.

Last edited:
Nice, my apologies. I agree with all of the above. I'm a bit gullible I guess because my brain can't comprehend a huge company like MS stumble in design processes that has become more or less a de facto standard in design. And not the least the gold mine they have in learning from past mistakes.
No apologies needed, even if you disagreed. All the best :)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

The fuck ..

I know there are ways to use the iso and do registry hacks to get it working regardless, but it is real weird that a modern 3, 4 year old laptop is not compatible with win 11.
You just have to do a fresh install, no hacks or anything else.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
No apologies needed, even if you disagreed. All the best :)

These are the type of comments I love to see in forums. People who might disagree, but are still amicable with each other. You guys are great.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
This was not necessary here.

Registry changes can have complex reactions. It's always a good idea to reboot your computer after making a registry change to ensure everything that needs the changes is properly seeing the changes. You either need to reboot, sign out and sign back in, or restart Explorer to get the new (ahem... I mean, old) context menu to show up after making these changes.

lukilladog

Look at that write speed on Win 11:

FCYIZ7PWQAcLm7_

In games i cannot even tell the difference between a cheapo 480 mb/s ssd and 3600 mb/s m2.

AREYOUOKAY?

You talking about the taskbar? Some of the people commenting on W11 doesn't have W11 and don't always know what they are talking about. It's been a while and a few updates since it launched.
Hey man I just got the thing and admittedly haven't had much time to mess around with it, but if I had a choice I still would have picked 10 over it since I've gotten used to it even though I only started using that a year or so ago. Nothing beats XP or 7 when it comes to simplicity and less hoops to jump through.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This week Microsoft accidentally leaked the current interface they have in mind for Windows 12 (2024):

Heres-How-Windows-12-Will-Look-Like.jpg

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...or-the-next-version-of-windows-at-ignite-2022

They leaked it when showing the new Microsoft 365 Office suite rebrand.

Super large useless bar on the bottom, rounded useless corners, top with clock, battery, wifi, search and... Weather.

I find it hard that anyone is paid to do a job this bad, let alone a team.

Also, what I've been saying all along about Bitlocker:

Source: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...kers-encrypt-windows-systems-using-bitlocker/

This was a clear vulnerability all along, since day one back in Windows 7. 1. Bitlocker encrypts everything, but it doesn't encrypt the decryption keys. 2. Any service with admin rights can run the bitlocker encryption command. I've seen fucking McAfee do it, without asking. A dang antivirus can decide to encrypt my HDD and go through with it without asking me. If that's so, so can malicious software.

I'm always flabbergasted that they never fix/improve anything on their own before disaster strikes.

Windows 11 being more secure for enforcing TPM and bitlocker my ass.
Windows Central posted a few more of these few years back. I forgot his twitter handle, but a guy from Microsoft's design used to post these mock ups. These are mock up made by the design team in InVision Studio/Sketch/Adobe XD. This is not an actual screenshot from UI and definitely not "Windows 12".

Last edited:
Windows Central posted a few more of these few years back. I forgot his twitter handle, but a guy from Microsoft's design used to post these mock ups. These are mock up made by the design team in InVision Studio/Sketch/Adobe XD. This is not an actual screenshot from UI and definitely not "Windows 12".
Thank Jebus, it dont look that different from windows 11. Windows 12 needs a major aesthetic, visual flare improvement with better transition animations, fluent design, acrylic-aero-glass theme to give it that 'pop'

Last edited:

Crayon

They took away my linux commputer at work and gave me win10.

Fascists.

It's weird how there is only one choice for your gui. Why can't you at least pick legacy ones? I guess you can tweak the colors and put your own wallpaper. To think people are cradle to grave on this shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The 22h2 is really nested.
Settings within settings and then when you click advanced, a win98 old window opens and it's still better UI and layout.

Some settings are doubled. Like audio settings .You have them withing win11 ui and in "advanced" in old ui and the old is so much more clear

If every single software that I use could run on Windows 7 I would stick with Windows 7, there is no doubt in my mind that Windows as a whole peaked for me with Windows 7, there is nothing in Windows 10 or 11 that I "need" in order to have a comfortable experience, it's mostly artificial reasoning behind the upgrade that I myself can't even explain, but this one sentence can - "I am not using Windows 10 because I want to, I am using it because I have to", and that alone should say enough.

Fuz

Banned
If every single software that I use could run on Windows 7 I would stick with Windows 7
What doesn't run on it? Apart a few games most of the programs (and FUCK all the idiots who call them "apps") work perfectly fine.

Also, were you really on Seinfeld? Episode and screencap, please.

Last edited:
What doesn't run on it? Apart a few games most of the programs (and FUCK all the idiots who call them "apps") work perfectly fine.
I don't know if it's a universal thing, or maybe it goes from system to system, but since I use outdated hardware, the drivers for Windows 7 don't work anymore, they only work on Windows 10, which is odd, because it used to be the opposite way, installing VPN apps is also a problem now, because certain certificates are failing to install I am unable to use VPN. It's obviously clear to me that I can't use Windows if I use older hardware, but I am in the situation where at least for the next year or so I am stuck with what I have.

Fuz

Banned
I don't know if it's a universal thing, or maybe it goes from system to system, but since I use outdated hardware, the drivers for Windows 7 don't work anymore, they only work on Windows 10, which is odd, because it used to be the opposite way, installing VPN apps is also a problem now, because certain certificates are failing to install I am unable to use VPN. It's obviously clear to me that I can't use Windows if I use older hardware, but I am in the situation where at least for the next year or so I am stuck with what I have.
Not sure about drivers, but when I burned my 1070 and exchanged it for a 1060 I wasn't able to install drivers either... I forced that but I don't remember how (sorry, it was just before Cyberpunk release, too long ago). As a VPN, have you ever tried TunnelBear? I've got W8.1 and it works perfectly on it.

Not sure about drivers, but when I burned my 1070 and exchanged it for a 1060 I wasn't able to install drivers either... I forced that but I don't remember how (sorry, it was just before Cyberpunk release, too long ago). As a VPN, have you ever tried TunnelBear? I've got W8.1 and it works perfectly on it.
Windows 8 is out of the question either, for once, graphic card drivers stopped receiving updates for Windows 8 much earlier than they did for Windows 7 and 10, lol, and TunnelBear is just not a good VPN in general, unless this is your only option. I tried so many of them, free ones, paid ones, freemium, and so far I can tell that the best free VPN would be ProtonVPN, the best paid one would be Surfshark VPN.

Banned
I've been wondering is windows 11 worth upgrading to yet guess not.

How can the biggest software company on the world be this shit.

to be fair Windows is hard to maintain.

Microsoft has this unspoken promise of near perfect backwards compatibility, and keeping this backwards compatibility up isn't easy.

to this day you can't name any file "con" or "aux" and a few others because those were used to talk to devices back in DOS... and MS-DOS programs need to stay compatible because in some fringe cases some industries or companies still use MS-DOS based programs.

your Windows drive also is still C:
it's not A or B, because those are the default drive letters given to Floppy Disk Drive 1 and 2, and just like those banned file names this is done so that MS-DOS and early Windows 1.x to 3.x programs, that expect a Disk Drive to be drive A and B, still work.
even if you make a virtual floppy drive, Windows will automatically give it the letter A or B

and over the years they programmed themselves into a really hard to balance situation. they need to modernize Windows and update everything, but at the same time they need to keep almost everything that came before, all the way back to MS-DOS compatible because some of their oldest business customers need that compatibility.

Apple has it way easier here, they just stop supporting older programs if they want to (and did so in the past), because they aren't in this situation of this promise of full backwards compatibility. mainly because most of the businesses that use Apple computers do so for video editing, design or digital art, which all use the most up to date programs available usually.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Windows 11 has been a clusterf***k for me since 22h update. Problems with hardware acceleration on chromium based browsers( tried every solution including disabling hardware acceleration to no avail) problems with stuttering on borderless window games with 2 monitor setup with different refresh rates and some games saw a big performance decrease (shadow of the tomb raider went from 95fps highest settings to 78fps)
I thought the problem was because i updated from 10 so did a clean install and most problems still persist. So its back to 10 for me and windows 11 can f***k off

Raonak

Banned
feels like ever since 8 they've been trying to make a completely different OS that sits on top of windows.
10 was a step back in the right direction, but 11 feels like a dumpster fire.

Why the fuck is there 2 right click menus???

Last edited:
Top Bottom