• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Amazing post Kswis

Still makes me laugh that people were crying "superhero fatigue" going into AVENGERS of all films, which pretty much kicked off this golden age of superhero films that we are still living in right now.
As long as audiences don't tire of CGI spectacles, there will likely never be any sort of superhero fatigue since they have effectively cornered that market. Practically every other franchise that offers that appeal is either on a downward trend (Transformers, Pirates, Star Trek, Fast and Furious domestically) or are done for the foreseeable future (Hobbit, Harry Potter). The biggest exception is Star Wars, but that franchise will likely remain 1 film a year for awhile still.

If we see another genre like Sci-Fi or video games (HA! Not likely, sadly =( ) suddenly produce multiple series that offer the visuals thrills and well-received hits like superhero films have, then maybe we'll see superhero films have greater difficulties routinely being hits.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I can only imagine what the Justice League review thread will become
I would not expect it to be as entertaining as BvS' considering we already know it's likely to be trash.

Batman v Superman was an anomaly. A force of nature no one could have seen coming.

J_Viper

Is The Mummy the final test of Cruise's box office viability?

Seems like everything he's in recently that hasn't been Mission Impossible has tanked.

rekameohs

Banned
I would not expect it to be as entertaining as BvS' considering we already know it's likely to be trash.

Batman v Superman was an anomaly. A force of nature no one could have seen coming.
I don't expect anything like BvS thread levels, but the low expectations coupled with the Wonder Woman goodwill are going to be quite a clash.

As long as audiences don't tire of CGI spectacles, there will likely never be any sort of superhero fatigue since they have effectively cornered that market. Practically every other franchise that offers that appeal is either on a downward trend (Transformers, Pirates, Star Trek, Fast and Furious domestically) or are done for the foreseeable future (Hobbit, Harry Potter). The biggest exception is Star Wars, but that franchise will likely remain 1 film a year for awhile still.

If we see another genre like Sci-Fi or video games (HA! Not likely, sadly =( ) suddenly produce multiple series that offer the visuals thrills and well-received hits like superhero films have, then maybe we'll see superhero films have greater difficulties routinely being hits.

This is one of the things I never get. Superhero films are just codified genre action films, based on properties that folks already know are successful.

I mean, that's not very good. A movie like Pirates is expected to make a shit ton in the first few weeks, not what is under expectations.

Domestically alone, it's going to make around 90 million less than Stranger Tides did and that was considering a disappointment. The foreign box office obviously made up for that.

Disney is a global brand. Is domestic alone really going to drive their plans around projects when the demand worldwide is still high? I ask rhetorically. I don't know.

The only blunder in this release is the budget, which a large chunk of viewers are not paying any attention to. While the movie may not help their bottom line as past films have due to high costs, the demand is still very much there.

Gore fucked this series in ways he couldn't imagine because i can't think of a reason why these films necessarily need a quarter of a billion dollars to make. I'm curious if audience's are "trained" to think they need to be these big spectacles because Gore loved trying to outdo Michael Bay

Zackat

I am a believer that Horizon Zero Dawn would be a cool-ass movie.

to be fair I really loved that video game

and it would be Sony doing it

maybe it isn't the best idea

Anth0ny

My expectations for JL: low RT, bad movie, underwhelming box office (basically the same as BvS)...

but now it's following wonder woman

so if they in any way tarnish that character in justice league, after the home run that was wonder woman (and even her great portrayal in bvs)

so help me

kswiston

I'm bumping this, since the old thread seemed to resurface.

It's time to make your final predictions for the Mummy. A feasible start to a cinematic universe, or more dead than undead?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Are Pirates movies really done or do they just need to let China pay for the next one? I mean, Aliens is done. Guy Ritchie is done. But I don't see them putting Pirates out to pasture yet.

They set up a Pirates 6 at the end of DMTNT that makes it clear they're going to bring back both Keira and Orlando. It'll happen. (And it's doing well worldwide.)

And Ritchie is directing Aladdin so he has a potential $800m+ moving ahead of him.

Well, the boxoffice.com estimate on Domestic is 98 total, so going with 3x - 4x Dom for total because 'china angle', it would wind up on 300m - 400m world wide total. (these days it seems 4x is more accurate than previously, so it's probably closer to 400)

If it has good reviews (and good writing, which I doubt considering the producers for it), it might break out to something like 500.
But I expect reviews to be exactly what everyone already expects and that is that it's going to be bad or boring, and with that, much like King Arthur before it, it quickly dives of a cliff never to heard from again, ending on, say 250 total. But that's really lowballing it because King Arthur has basically 'no game' anywhere and The Mummy might have some in the US and China.

Realistically I should aim at 400 and that is my actual 'bet', but I fucking hate Orzi and Kurtzman (they're both producers on this crap) so much that I really, really want it to flunk at 200-250. Which is my side bet, if you will.

Where's a crossroads demon when you need one?

Boxofficemojo puts the budget at 125 million, so even at 2x budget, we'll still get more of this garbage. I hate this scam that is wide release.

Also, Kurtzman is actually directing this. And it's written by Jon Spaiths... sigh.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is The Mummy the final test of Cruise's box office viability?

Seems like everything he's in recently that hasn't been Mission Impossible has tanked.

The first Jack Reacher did very well though I think the sequel disappointed a bit.

Gore fucked this series in ways he couldn't imagine because i can't think of a reason why these films necessarily need a quarter of a billion dollars to make. I'm curious if audience's are "trained" to think they need to be these big spectacles because Gore loved trying to outdo Michael Bay

Filming movies at sea (or pretending to be at sea) is expensive. You can look at the budgets of stuff like Waterworld and Titanic 20 years ago to see that. Even a cheap version of PotC probably comes in at over $150 million.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Holy crap, Pirates is at $140m+ in China after two weekends? It's doubled the total gross of On Stranger Tides and that movie made $1b thanks to the foreign market.

I don't think DMTNT will make $1b but it should have a very healthy total at the end.

Penguin

It's time to make your final predictions for the Mummy. A feasible start to a cinematic universe, or more dead than undead?

I honestly don't know
I think the marketing has done a terrible job of letting us know what type of movie it is. And imagine Cruise won't be able to overcome that here.

I do think it will do better internationally, but how much?

I'm gonna say maybe 350 WW total

can't say I'm fucking with this franchise after Verbinski left but I guess Pirates stays being strong at the box office? I predicted it being the third biggest disney movie this year after star wars and beauty and the beast. wonder how wrong that ends up being...or right.

Boke1879

I'm just seeing or hearing any hype about the new Mummy movie. At least here in the states. Everytime that trailer comes on my mom just shakes her head.

She loved the Fraser movies and just doesn't think this is going to have a quarter of the charm those movies had.

Mrbob

So are there any more interesting movies coming out in June? I want to see Baby Driver and uhh, that's it I think.

ZeoVGM

Banned
can't say I'm fucking with this franchise after Verbinski left but I guess Pirates stays being strong at the box office? I predicted it being the third biggest disney movie this year after star wars and beauty and the beast. wonder how wrong that ends up being...or right.

I feel like you forgot about Guardians 2. I'm not sure which I think will end up doing better but both will be beaten by Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast.

Boke1879

Baby Driver could be the only movie in existence and it'd still because of that stupid name

I would see yall talking about it and I just figured it was some childrens animated movie. Then I saw a trailer for it ahead of WW and I was like "what?"

As cliche as it sounds, I am glad that Wonder Woman is the film that DC seemed to knock it out of the park. It had the most riding on it in the long run. Not just for DC, but comic book films and female driven films in general.
If it didn't deliver, we would see studios scale back women driven projects for a long time. But since it is delivering both commercially and critically, I am hoping it opens the doors to more female centric projects and female super hero films.
The stakes were high for Wonder Woman to deliver, and deliver it did. It makes me feel good to see it do so.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Complete bomba but I wouldn't be surprised if 3 years from now they go forward with that Wolfman reboot & say "No no, this one is the start of our cinematic universe. For real this time!"

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The Dark Universe is only going to work with smaller budgets. If they think they're getting Marvel or DC type of box office returns with 100 million dollar budgets, they're in for a hurting.

Yeah Paramount is the only big studio that does that now I think

WB and Disney definitely don't care

WB overestimated BvS, Suicide Squad and Fantastic Beasts off the top of my head. That being said, they're definitely playing it conservative with this one.

Boke1879

The Dark Universe is only going to work with smaller budgets. If they think they're getting Marvel or DC type of box office returns with 100 million dollar budgets, they're in for a hurting.

WB overestimated BvS, Suicide Squad and Fantastic Beasts off the top of my head. That being said, they're definitely playing it conservative with this one.

Yup. WB said before they were expecting a 65-75 million OW for WW. They were being conservative as hell.

Top Bottom