• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•21-23•15 - Knockin' niggaz out the box weekly... challengers DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Do you think ~450-500 million dollar is still possible?

$450M is fairly likely. I think the domestic take has $15M left to go. Overseas holdover business will be at least $10M. That's $385M, with China, South Korea, and Japan left to go. Guardians made over $115M in those 3 territories. Thor 2 made $82M. Cap 2 made $130M. I think that $65M for Ant-Man in those territories is achievable.

kswiston

I'd say it's very possible, though I'm betting Paramount cuts the budget and looks for Chinese co-funding.

Let's stick to the conservative side of things and say Terminator finishes with $450M.

Paramounts take would be at least $45M domestically, $85M or so internationally, and $30M in China. That's $160M on the lower end, which I believe would be the break even point for the production budget.

I doubt a sequel would see much growth outside of Asia (Domestic and European takes would probably decline), but a $125M film could do well.

Minions will probably cross $1b this weekend once more international numbers roll in, right?

This weekend as in the one the thread is for or the one starting this coming Friday? Minions will break $1B within the next week. Probably next Sunday.

Mimosa97

Is Jurassic World going to reach 1b$ internationally ?

That would be insane.

I guess the only movies to ever accomplish this are Titanic and Avatar, right ?

AHA-Lambda

Some of these have been listed, but here are this weekend's Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $361M
Inside Out -$690M
Minions - $989M
Jurassic World - $1.623B
Ted 2 - $180M
Terminator Genisys - $353M
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - $439M

Minions will most likely pass $1B next weekend. With a Chinese release in September, it will end up being the second highest grossing Animated Film of all time behind Frozen.

Stupid question I'm sure but is that Minions number good? Given its marketing budget?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Stupid question I'm sure but is that Minions number good? Given its marketing budget?

that minions number is excellent given that universal would have paida fraction of that marketing number
not to mention that a spin off has made more than a mainline film

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They need to stop trying to make Hitman a thing. It's one of those situations where the concept is probably more ripe than the actual brand name, so they just slap together a movie and attach the franchise to it for some extra cash.

It's so odd to me that we've gotten 2 Hitman movie attempts over the last 7 years, but nobody has tried Tomb Raider again.

Dram

They need to stop trying to make Hitman a thing. It's one of those situations where the concept is probably more ripe than the actual brand name, so they just slap together a movie and attach the franchise to it for some extra cash.

It's so odd to me that we've gotten 2 Hitman movie attempts over the last 7 years, but nobody has tried Tomb Raider again.
Hitman would probably work better as a tv series.

kswiston

that minions number is excellent given that universal would have paid fraction of that marketing number not to mention that a spin off has made more than a mainline film

There's also the fact that Universal spent next to nothing (in the scheme of tentpole films) making the film itself. With a production budget of $74M, It will be by far the cheapest film to ever hit $1B worldwide in the past decade. Illumination made a mid-budget animated film, and Universal used that savings to beef up the marketing.

EDIT: Those "close to $600M spent on marketing" articles are also counting all the cross promotional stuff and licensing that other companies paid for as you said.

tumblr_mzvq9yS3ZG1tne2txo1_400.gif

"Ant-Man ain't worth a food stamp
and at Marvel I hear you gettin' treated like boot camp
Gotta follow Kevin Feiges direction
Or get your ass popped with that smith and wesson"

The nearest AMC only had three showings per day of Fantastic 4 this weekend.

That's by far the fastest I've ever seen a superhero movie get shoved out theaters before.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
There's also the fact that Universal spent next to nothing (in the scheme of tentpole films) making the film itself. With a production budget of $74M, It will be by far the cheapest film to ever hit $1B worldwide in the past decade. Illumination made a mid-budget animated film, and Universal used that savings to beef up the marketing.

EDIT: Those "close to $600M spent on marketing" articles are also counting all the cross promotional stuff and licensing that other companies paid for as you said.

when all is said and done it will be hovering around a 14x budget multiplier which is absolutely absurd
not to mention the mountains of cash they will have been making from merchandise it wouldnt surprise me if it ended up as the most profitable film overall this year

Takao

Banned
Because a wide release would've completely bombed, and a limited release for those movies has always done very very well for them.

Not worth the risk.

Other than a very small scale one-night only thing 10 years ago, Resurrection F is only the second animated DBZ movie to get a theatrical release in the US. This year's movie did $8.4 million compared to $2.5 for last year's. Expect any future films to be a little less limited.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Because a wide release would've completely bombed, and a limited release for those movies has always done very very well for them.

Not worth the risk.

who needs a wide release anything more than what it got would've made more money. Risk? that movie didn't cost that much to make , especially considering they'd be getting back US dollars for something made for Yen. The showings were very limited.

Some of these have been listed, but here are this weekend's Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $361M
Inside Out -$690M
Minions - $989M
Jurassic World - $1.623B
Ted 2 - $180M
Terminator Genisys - $353M
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - $439M

Minions will most likely pass $1B next weekend. With a Chinese release in September, it will end up being the second highest grossing Animated Film of all time behind Frozen.

Today is a sad sad day.

who needs a wide release anything more than what it got would've made more money. Risk? that movie didn't cost that much to make , especially considering they'd be getting back US dollars for something made for Yen. The showings were very limited.

Distribution costs money. A lot of money. It's the reason you see some movies just punt straight to VOD in the US, even though they did very well overseas (like Equilibrium, or technically Snowpiercer, I suppose)

There's a very clear ceiling for the DBZ movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom