• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

yacobod said:
still not as good as MS war/holy pal/elemental shaman

or any 2 healer + ms warrior combo

i dont think ret will ever be viable in arena
ele shamans are getting nerfed. their burst dps is getting a huge blow, so expect to see less of them. And Holy Paladins are nerfed to the point of ridiculousness - burst him down, make him bubble, and then finish him off. Nuff said. The Resto Shaman being able to get away (earth bind totem go!) is a lot better. Plus, bloodlust. Something the pally does not have, and is obscene in Arena.

yacobod

Banned
krypt0nian said:
So since Locks are nerfed, who will be the new FOTM character?

locks and warriors always get small nerfs w/each past and always remain on top of the pvp food chain

i really wouldnt worry

firex

yacobod said:
what dont you like about pvp on a lock?

just curious, as im currently lvling one to primarily pvp with, i'm currently at lvl 30
oh, I just thought it was boring because 1v1 I could roll almost any alliance (I pvped mostly as soul link spec back before tbc) but usually I would get focused on by everyone and die.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Maxrpg said:
The Resto Shaman being able to get away (earth bind totem go!) is a lot better. Plus, bloodlust. Something the pally does not have, and is obscene in Arena.
Shaman are very limited in their ways of getting away from focus-fire since they have zero crowd control abilities compared to other classes. Taurens have War Stomp yes, and even though Grounding/Earthbind totems may work, just remember that they are on a global cooldown and have area radius involved.

Dispel that Earth Shield and a Resto Shaman is as good as dead considering the vast amount of mana used to cast ES. With Hunters getting a dispel ability on Arcane Shot, let alone giving them the distance, Silencing and Scatter Shot, they are the true Resto Shaman killers now.

yacobod

Banned
speedpop said:
Shaman are very limited in their ways of getting away from focus-fire since they have zero crowd control abilities compared to other classes. Taurens have War Stomp yes, and even though Grounding/Earthbind totems may work, just remember that they are on a global cooldown and have area radius involved.

Dispel that Earth Shield and a Resto Shaman is as good as dead considering the vast amount of mana used to cast ES. With Hunters getting a dispel ability on Arcane Shot, let alone giving them the distance, Silencing and Scatter Shot, they are the true Resto Shaman killers now.

no DR on frost shock, seems like shaman will be able to kite better now, just a thought

firex

2.3 makes it sound like enhance is going to be a viable pvp build finally. They could always deal a lot of damage to someone before, but died too quickly. with the DR while shamanistic rage is going, plus the AP -> healing/spell damage talent, they should be a lot more capable at surviving against another melee, or someone they can frost shock and close the gap with.

speedpop

yacobod said:
no DR on frost shock, seems like shaman will be able to kite better now, just a thought
True true, but you can't Frost Shock a Hunter who is keeping their distance.

As for Enhancement getting viability back, they always were but Frost Shock will easily help them chasing down the ones they need like in the past. It's just that they needed the big fat two hander and excellent gear to do it with. Anything that is not wearing mail or plate is easily drilled with a 5-10 second blast of Shaman fury.

Ashodin

firex said:
2.3 makes it sound like enhance is going to be a viable pvp build finally. They could always deal a lot of damage to someone before, but died too quickly. with the DR while shamanistic rage is going, plus the AP -> healing/spell damage talent, they should be a lot more capable at surviving against another melee, or someone they can frost shock and close the gap with.
I've fought against someone on the PTR with shamanistic rage - needless to say, the duels he won were when he used it to mitigate my omgwtfpwn ret dps. So it's a really good talent now.

Nutter

so does anyone know of a good site where i can buy/sell/trade accounts? im really tired of my druid and was looking at a lock :lol

border

Warrior chatter --

Apparently, even though the first patch notes didn't mention it, both Deathwish and Improved Intercept were moved to the warrior's Arms tree (Sweeping Strikes and Weapon Mastery are now Fury talents).

With this nice buff there is discussion of a PVP build that's something like 3x/5/2x, with heavy investments into Arms and enough points into Protection to get Concussion Blow and Imp Disarm. I'm not sure if it is worth it to give up Enrage and Commanding Presence for a stun and some additional Disarm time. Having never spec'ed Prot, I didn't realize that Concussion Blow didn't even require a Shield or Defensive stance.....making it pretty sweet for PVP really. Any thoughts?

3x/5/2x would also make a pretty nice tank/PVP hybrid for those of us still collecting Nethers. The threat buff to Mortal Strike is ok too, though it's too expensive to use when tanking IMO.

yacobod

Banned
border said:
Warrior chatter --

Apparently, even though the first patch notes didn't mention it, both Deathwish and Improved Intercept were moved to the warrior's Arms tree (Sweeping Strikes and Weapon Mastery are now Fury talents).

With this nice buff there is discussion of a PVP build that's something like 3x/5/2x, with heavy investments into Arms and enough points into Protection to get Concussion Blow and Imp Disarm. I'm not sure if it is worth it to give up Enrage and Commanding Presence for a stun and some additional Disarm time. Having never spec'ed Prot, I didn't realize that Concussion Blow didn't even require a Shield or Defensive stance.....making it pretty sweet for PVP really. Any thoughts?

3x/5/2x would also make a pretty nice tank/PVP hybrid for those of us still collecting Nethers. The threat buff to Mortal Strike is ok too, though it's too expensive to use when tanking IMO.

if sweeping strikes is moved to the fury tree, will it be available to use in any stance? that would be pretty big imo, as more often than not its a waste to switch from zerk to battle

i dont know i expect cookie cutter to remain cookie cutter, and you can tank heroics just fine with some variation of 3X/2X/3

border

Well with Mace Spec being nerfed, I think a lot of people will be tempted by Concussion Blow. I guess we'll see how it pans out. Hammer of Justice remains my most hated ability, and I'd love to be able to return the favor to all the lame pallies out there.

Also:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2007/september/headlessloot.jpg

A holiday event that actually yields useful loot? OMGWTF Blizzard!

If get that helm for my warrior, will I actually look like the Headless Horseman?

yacobod

Banned
mmo champion also has the new arena 3 sets an weapons for all classes up, plus arena costs, as well as honor costs for arena 1 gear, you can get the entire s1 arena set for 55k honor, not a bad grind imo

firex

honor costs aren't bad at all for season 1 gear. Maybe I'll just do the new AV until I can get one of the 2h weapons or something.

Ramirez

God, I'm so tempted to come back when the new patch hits, I sold all of my characters, so the leveling buff would be a perfect way for me to get back into it. >.>

border

Apparently they made the changes to the warrior talents because they wanted to encourage people to go a full 41 points into Arms, but that incentive was not there when it was necessary to go 20+ points into Fury for essential talents like Deathwish and Imp Intercept.

How about just giving us a 41-point talent that is not totally stupid and lazy, and maybe people will go for it? Even now, I don't think anyone is considering Imp. Mortal Strike or Endless Rage.....they're just figuring out where the extra points they would have sank into Fury are gonna go. (Probably right back into Fury, since Enrage is so nice) Why they didn't just move Tactical Mastery back to the Arms tree is beyond me as well....that would have been a real easy way to get people to sink 3 or 5 points back into Arms.

Eric WK

Ramirez said:
God, I'm so tempted to come back when the new patch hits, I sold all of my characters, so the leveling buff would be a perfect way for me to get back into it. >.>

Just started a Pally on Sunday. I was planning on playing it casually until 2.3 and spending time on my Mage, but I've gotten caught up in it. 31 already.

yacobod

Banned
ya i started a lock about a week or 2 ago, i'm at lvl 31 as well

just playing semi casually, trying to lvl at a decent pace while not racing

border said:
Warrior chatter --

That makes no damn sense. WEAPON SPECIALIZATION out of the ARMS tree? Que? Big Bright Idea incoming...

border

SatelliteOfLove said:
That makes no damn sense. WEAPON SPECIALIZATION out of the ARMS tree? Que? Big Bright Idea incoming...
Makes sense to me, in light of the fact that the Disarm Immunity element is getting nerfed. Increases to weapon skill result in bonuses to +Hit, which is more of a PVE bonus (thus making it appropriate for Fury, which they are trying to mold into a PVE tree now).

Hero

I seriously hate Kalgan.

Warriors are the most overrepresented class in arenas right now in all three brackets yet instead of toning them down they continue to receive buffs.

Warlocks were complained about for two arena seasons but they're no where near as dominating as warriors are, yet the one class/spec (SL/SL) that has been shown to beat warriors is getting nerfed, despite months ago blues saying that Mortal Strike didn't effect leech effects.

I wish many bad things upon Kalgan.

"I'm quite sure the pvp warrior I have will still be rockin' an S3 weapon within the first week despite this change." -Kalgan

/target Kalgan
/spit

Ramirez

Eric WK said:
Just started a Pally on Sunday. I was planning on playing it casually until 2.3 and spending time on my Mage, but I've gotten caught up in it. 31 already.

What server are you on? If I did come back I would like to at least know someone that plays. :lol

yacobod

Banned
Ramirez said:
What server are you on? If I did come back I would like to at least know someone that plays. :lol

for the ppl that are just rerolling

what class are you going to roll?

pve or pvp server?

faction?

race?

so i'll go

warlock

pvp server

horde

undead

speedpop

I've rerolled too many in the past.

But I might do a Mage for serious kicks soon.. going Horde PVE I think. Never really picked a Troll before so I might go with that.. although Blood Elf Mage was always one of my wishes.

Hrmmm decisions.

firex

horde, pve, orc shaman for me. Probably gonna go enhance for grinding until 70, and then either go resto or elemental.

I have a tauren shaman on another server, but I like orc racials more now, plus I just think they'd look cooler.

border

Hero said:
Warriors are the most overrepresented class in arenas right now in all three brackets yet instead of toning them down they continue to receive buffs.
The talent changes aren't really a buff, considering that people would have spec'ed for those talents anyway, and will probably continue to put extra points into Fury. The fact that they can't spec against disarm now is pretty obviously a nerf as well. The duration of Hamstring is taking a 1/3 reduction.

firex

Hero said:
I seriously hate Kalgan.

Warlocks were complained about for two arena seasons but they're no where near as dominating as warriors are, yet the one class/spec (SL/SL) that has been shown to beat warriors is getting nerfed, despite months ago blues saying that Mortal Strike didn't effect leech effects.

I wish many bad things upon Kalgan.

"I'm quite sure the pvp warrior I have will still be rockin' an S3 weapon within the first week despite this change." -Kalgan

/target Kalgan
/spit
eh, a similarly geared ret pally will take out a MS warrior just fine now. they'll have basically the same HP, pally will have a little less crit and won't hit quite as hard, but they can take the warrior with a stun, repentance and a heal, not to mention bubble/BoP. and I'm just going off my experiences without the new changes in 2.3.

edit: what I mean is, they've added in a new class that can stand up to the MS warrior with the ret buffs now, while a ret pally still has huge weaknesses to other classes like rogues or mages/warlocks.

yacobod

Banned
firex said:
eh, a similarly geared ret pally will take out a MS warrior just fine now. they'll have basically the same HP, pally will have a little less crit and won't hit quite as hard, but they can take the warrior with a stun, repentance and a heal, not to mention bubble/BoP. and I'm just going off my experiences without the new changes in 2.3.

edit: what I mean is, they've added in a new class that can stand up to the MS warrior with the ret buffs now, while a ret pally still has huge weaknesses to other classes like rogues or mages/warlocks.

until ret pallys have 350-400 resilience, i'm going to say no

review from the PTR saying that warriors >>> ret paladins, when we start seeing rets in full s3 arena suits, that might change

removing the disarm immunity isnt really a nerf imo, it adds strategy back to pvp that was present pre-TBC, the only classes that can disarm are rogues who have riptose, and other warriors, this will only seperate scrub warriors from more skilled warriors

if you want to call it a nerf, its a nerf to all melee classes in wow, not just warriors

the HS time reduction is a nerf, as it will be harder to keep more than 1 target hamstrung at all times in arena, that being said warrior will still be the best arena class in the game, so w/e

if you search the BG9 ("bloodlust" generally regarded as the number 1 pvp bracket worldwide) arena brackets for 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, the number 1 team is held by the same warrior in all brackets, Serennia

http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tichondrius&n=Serennia

2v2 = warrior + druid
3v3 = warrior + druid + lock
5v5 = classic 2345 team

and i totally agree w/ orc shaman, look ace in s2 arena gear, best looking horde race for males imo, orcs just look bad ass in all gear, and they actually wear boots lol

border

yacobod said:
removing the disarm immunity isnt really a nerf imo, it adds strategy back to pvp that was present pre-TBC, the only classes that can disarm are rogues who have riptose, and other warriors, this will only seperate scrub warriors from more skilled warriors
Didn't someone in this thread already say that a Disarming shot is being mooted for hunters?

yacobod

Banned
border said:
Didn't someone in this thread already say that a Disarming shot is being mooted for hunters?

not sure, have they added that on the ptr yet?

i thought it was only a rumor at this point

removal of the deadzone + disarming shot, hunters might be a lot more viable in arenas and pvp, will be interesting to see

www.pvpsource.com said:
Proposed Hunter Buffs Justified?
Although there are many class changes all around, most of the talk is about the changes to hunters. We’ve already mentioned the added dispel attached to Arcane Shot, the new Disarming Shot and the proposed changes to remove the dead zone — now Kalgan has said they are considering adding a mortal strike debuff to aimed shot.

Meanwhile, over at Vhairi’s Scratchpad we can see, from his graphs of class representation in the arenas on the Euro servers, that Hunters are by far the lowest represented class across all brackets.

lol MS aimed shot

border

Just got done running Headless Horseman five times -- his helm did not drop at all for me though :( It's gonna suck ass if I can't get it....great stats and it looks so sweet.

HeadlessHorseman.jpg

Anyhow -- Scarlet Monastery is a warzone now....the best part of it being that Horde aren't PVP flagged, so you can just mill around waiting for an opportunity to jump somebody. Poor Alliance has to ride all the way out to SM for this quest, just to get relentlessly ganked :lol

I guess it's a preview of what Zul-Aman is gonna be like for them.

Hero

border said:
The talent changes aren't really a buff, considering that people would have spec'ed for those talents anyway, and will probably continue to put extra points into Fury. The fact that they can't spec against disarm now is pretty obviously a nerf as well. The duration of Hamstring is taking a 1/3 reduction.

The disarm thing effects all melee classes, not just warriors. Warriors had a talent that made them immune, but it's being change to disarm time reduction, right?

And while the hamstring is getting a nerf, it's still not that significant of a change. Most every other CC ability has had its PVP time reduced to 10 seconds.

Warriors are overrepresented in all arena brackets, they need some counterclass to them.

And don't tell me ret(ard)adins are supposed to be the answer. Maybe a completely S3 decked out one could have the advantage.

John_B

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mazrigos&n=Kaden

I love the gear I have on my rogue at the moment. There are simply no weak items.
Code:
[B]Stats[/B] (Unbuffed)
Attack Power : 1775
Hit Rating   : 245
Crit Chance  : 32.98%

[B]Weapons[/B]
Main Hand : Fang of Vashj (Mongoose)
Off Hand  : Merciless Gladiator's Shiv (Mongoose)

[B]Trinkets[/B]
Tsunami Talisman
Dragonspine Trophy

I have a 110 heroic badges in the bank to grab the new awesome 2.3 heroic reward items (Nyn'jah's Tabi Boots and Master Assassin Wristwraps).

It's impossible for other classes to out dps me at fair encounters.

Eric WK

Ramirez said:

Exodar (PVE) Alliance

Server has a nice medium population - no queues or lag to speak of, pretty good PVE progression and a fairly good A:H ratio. Economy could be a bit better, but it isn't horrible by any means.

My Pally will be my new main, I think. Leveling Ret and might do a little Prot AoE grinding on my way to 70. Holy at 70... not sure if I'll focus on PVE or PVP.

Also going to transfer my 70 Mage over so, you know, I can actually kill things when I need to.

Ramirez

yacobod said:
for the ppl that are just rerolling

what class are you going to roll?

pve or pvp server?

faction?

race?

so i'll go

warlock

pvp server

horde

undead

I know it's unlikely, but it would be nice to get the core group from this thread on the same server. Anyways, I'd probably roll a warrior since I've always felt that was my best PVP class. Maybe make it a female Tauren. :lol I love their dance. :) Orc would make the most sense for racials , but eh, not a big fan of orcs. Definitely would go PVP server as well.

Eric WK

Ramirez said:
I know it's unlikely, but it would be nice to get the core group from this thread on the same server. Anyways, I'd probably roll a warrior since I've always felt that was my best PVP class. Maybe make it a female Tauren. :lol I love their dance. :) Orc would make the most sense for racials , but eh, not a big fan of orcs. Definitely would go PVP server as well.

Well fine!

Ramirez

Eric WK said:
Well fine!

See I posted that before I had read your reply. :lol I'd definitely be down to roll a character with you, I just need to sort myself out and make sure I want to return first. :lol I'm pretty sure my account is active right now from a activation a guy had to do that purchased my last char, I'll load it up in a sec and see.

Well, nix that idea, my friend sold my entire account on the last character instead of just the character, fucking hell. I'll go pickup a Battlechest tomorrow, sigh.

John_B said:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mazrigos&n=Kaden

I love the gear I have on my rogue at the moment. There are simply no weak items.
Code:
[B]Stats[/B] (Unbuffed)
Attack Power : 1775
Hit Rating   : 245
Crit Chance  : 32.98%

[B]Weapons[/B]
Main Hand : Fang of Vashj (Mongoose)
Off Hand  : Merciless Gladiator's Shiv (Mongoose)

[B]Trinkets[/B]
Tsunami Talisman
Dragonspine Trophy

I have a 110 heroic badges in the bank to grab the new awesome 2.3 heroic reward items (Nyn'jah's Tabi Boots and Master Assassin Wristwraps).

It's impossible for other classes to out dps me at fair encounters.
Wow, such nice gear yet such horrible arena teams.

John_B

BloodElfHunter said:
Wow, such nice gear yet such horrible arena teams.
I haven't been pvp'ing at all in the second season, because my job got in the way. I don't have time to grind gold and respec every other day from assassination to combat and back again.

Arena teams (medium ranked ones) does not say much about skilled individuals these days anyways. There is so much jumping and boosting going on. I could easily join a 2000+ team and leech 10 games every week, but I won't bother if I can't commit fully to it.

This if why I focus on pve, and tear the shit up on the damage meter.

Ashodin

John_B said:
I haven't been pvp'ing at all in the second season, because my job got in the way. I don't have time to grind gold and respec every other day from assassination to combat and back again.

Arena teams (medium ranked ones) does not say much about skilled individuals these days anyways. There is so much jumping and boosting going on. I could easily join a 2000+ team and leech 10 games every week, but I won't bother if I can't commit fully to it.

This if why I focus on pve, and tear the shit up on the damage meter.
Next season you can't do this any more. You have to maintain a personal arena ranking, which will reset if you leave your arena team. So, bollocks to that.

John_B

Yes, that is Blizzard's response to people buying boosts and leeching. How am I wrong in what I said?

I will get the off-hand dagger when next season hits, and achieving the required rating won't be a problem.

Here is an old post of mine, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5902068#post5902068

John_B said:
My friend and I managed to get our arena rating up to a 2032, which should put us as number two or three on the server, not the battle group though.

http://www.boxspherical.com/arena/index.php says a 2032 rating will net us 665 arena points for 2v2, however last week our rating was only 1986, and I received more than 700 points.
There is no ss as proof, but we managed to get even higher. This was back in season 1. I played 2v2 with a frost mage. It was not the strongest of all combinations I might add.

I'm not sure why I'm defending myself though. If I put the focus and energy into arena like I do pve, I'm pretty sure I would do okay.

Ramirez

Frost mages were complete bullshit in Season 1 with the double ice block, ugh. Anyways, I checked online and alot of the stores near me are out of stock of BC, and even low in stock on the original WoW, wtf?! I want to get the Battlechest, but my local GS doesn't have any and Wal-Mart doesn't even have it listed on their site...guess I could always download purchase it, bah.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Frost mages were complete bullshit in Season 1 with the double ice block, ugh. Anyways, I checked online and alot of the stores near me are out of stock of BC, and even low in stock on the original WoW, wtf?! I want to get the Battlechest, but my local GS doesn't have any and Wal-Mart doesn't even have it listed on their site...guess I could always download purchase it, bah.
STAY AWAY FROM WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom