• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
And what size memory card do you guys have? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you guys have the biggest size and i'm willing to bet a lot of people don't have the 32gb one.

I have the 16gb one, filled with two huge vita games(blazblue 3.3gb and mortal kombat 3gb) + other 4 psn vita games + 1 or 2 ar games(that i'm going to delete) + wipeout demo + 11 psp and minis(i loved and still love the psp XD ).
I bought the psvita at d1, i play with it everyday, and really i can't understand how is it possibile to see people saying that vita has no gaemz.
I have finished only mutant blobs(but no platinum, who has the time?), i played the welcome park only 1 or 2 times and i have to buy wipeout, rayman and other games of the launch and at june will arrive gravity rush and others...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I agree with the argument that not having any form of having UMD BC is hampering the PS vita.

I have a huge PSP collection that currently have no future, I am willing to rebuy a couple of them as digital downloads, but the price would be easier to swallow if I could play all my old games.

Good, now adjust prices for inflation, and adjust sales for the population of the world with access to purchase and knowledge of these systems.

Also, where did you get your numbers? Wikipedia says 5 million Lynxes sold.

GB and Lynx released the same year. What was the discrepancy between the two at this relative time? Was it 9.5x, I wonder?

These numbers are from an old Game Pro article on lesser selling handhelds: "The Ten Worst Selling Handhelds of All Time". These numbers are supported by Retro Gaming Issue 43 in their Retroinspection article on the Atari Lynx. The Wikipedia numbers aren't just wrong, they're stupid... 5 million systems sold for a handheld with 80-odd released games over its lifetime? Ya right...

btw, adjusting prices for inflation, the Lynx and TurboExpress launched for A LOT more money than the Vita did, even with a memory card added to the cost... Hell, the TurboExpress was $349 here in Canada on launch in 1990. The Lynx was $249 with California Games and an AC Adapter (I know, I bought one of each at launch).

btw, adjusting prices for inflation, the Lynx and TurboExpress launched for A LOT more money than the Vita did, even with a memory card added to the cost... Hell, the TurboExpress was $349 here in Canada on launch in 1990. The Lynx was $249 with California Games and an AC Adapter (I know, I bought one of each at launch).

These were the two systems my parents wouldn't buy me as a kid because they said they were too expensive. I wanted a TurboExpress so bad I could taste it.

GBA should be 81.5m / 377m

And the counter-argument will be the GBA's premature death.
The other argument is that while GBA piracy was rampant, you didn't need a GBA itself to play all it's games. GBA piracy logically wouldn't have pushed hardware sales to the same degree PSP piracy did.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PSVita will sell from 8 to 10 millions more worldwide from today to next year.

I'm unsure whether you meant from May 11 to January 1, or May 11 to May 11, but either way...

Vita hasn't even popped up on NPD this year; the last time its sales were revealed were for December, when it sold just 35k. Vita's life-to-date sales in Japan are 1.5 million according to Media Create. Dunno about Euroland, though.

DR2K

Banned
This platform is so fucking good, shame it doesn't have Nintendo's first party. Here's to hoping the next Nintendo portable is just as good.

Edit: reading dates is hard.

Maedhros

I'm unsure whether you meant from May 11 to January 1, or May 11 to May 11, but either way...

Vita hasn't even popped up on NPD this year; the last time its sales were revealed were for December, when it sold just 35k. Vita's life-to-date sales in Japan are 1.5 million according to Media Create. Dunno about Euroland, though.

The fuck dude, this shit is almost one year old.

Alchemy

Vita is slowly chugging along. As it builds up its game library it will be more and more appealing (ala the PS3). I can see the Vita peaking around 20 million total units as is, but they need to get one or two killer titles to buff up the portfolio, drop the 3G version, and drop the price of the memory cards by a fuckton.

ohlawd

Just waiting for dat price drop.

I got Persona 4 Golden still wrapped up lols.

edit: yo what in the fuck this thread is old!

How do people find these old-ass threads and figure they're new?

A year ago, someone in this thread predicted the Vita would sell 8 million more in a year. So someone bumped this thread a year later to rub their face in it (I guess) that the Vita didn't sell anywhere near that amount.

ohlawd

A year ago, someone in this thread predicted the Vita would sell 8 million more in a year. So someone bumped this thread a year later to rub their face in it (I guess) that the Vita didn't sell anywhere near that amount.

One of the few times I enjoy seeing old threads get bumped.

Call people out for being delusional with their predictions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The fuck dude, this shit is almost one year old.

I marked it in my calendar yo.
FuqnPhm.gif

I really wish we had more solid numbers though. I'm fairly sure the lack of data paints a worse picture than the actual situation.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Awesome bump. I predict the Vita will have games exactly one year from now.

I hope I'm right, but my single dusty copy of Gravity Rush doesn't give me confidence.

I marked it in my calendar yo.
FuqnPhm.gif

I really wish we had more solid numbers though. I'm fairly sure the lack of data paints a worse picture than the actual situation.
That's funny man I wondered if you even remembered that argument a few weeks after it happened.

You really did date it in your Google thingy.

Yes, it's bad, but honestly, who didn't see it coming? Sony doesn't have the pulse of the market and the design of the Vita just proves it.

Ain't that the fucking truth... I'm fine with Sony platforms but it's so irritating having two portable consoles in a row not designed with portability in mind, even if we just ignore battery life, you've got sticks protruding out of the system... that is supposed to fit in your pocket... or bag... where it can move and shuffle around... let that sink in for a bit. Then you have a full touch screen all bare, it's not like a cell phone you can insure through your carrier, or get another for next to nothing, if it breaks that's another 250. Then you have cartridge games that require memory cards... MEMORY CARDS!

I just can't believe you've got this laundry list of common sense issues the second time around, you can pull a gamegear once and I think most people will bitch but chalk it up to your first outing... but you get PSP with its UMD format, to PSP Go... with its Goness... to Vita... is your R&D department drunk?

Here's the thing I don't get:

At some point prior to the release of the system, someone at Sony must have done Return on Investment research into the feasibility of a new portable system. They would have surely taken into account things like the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, while also keeping in mind the PSP's poor performance relative to their primary competitor in the market: the DS.

So assuming all of this stuff was done at a multimillion dollar corporation, they came to the conclusion that it was worthwhile to make the thing, market it and support it. So if all that is true, they should be actively seeking to push titles out. It's not like the Wii U where we know Nintendo is frantically trying to get releases and just needs more time to do so. In the Vita's case, development was never cited as a primary issue for lack of software, so... what's up Sony? Either you care about the thing, or you don't. Letting it float in limbo like this is so confusing.

At some point prior to the release of the system, someone at Sony must have done Return on Investment research into the feasibility of a new portable system. They would have surely taking into account things like the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, while also keeping in mind the PSP's poor performance relative to their primary competitor in the market: the DS.

So assuming all of this stuff was done at a multimillion dollar corporation, they came to the conclusion that it was worthwhile to make the thing, market it and support it. So if all that is true, they should be actively seeking to push titles out. It's not like the Wii U where we know Nintendo is frantically trying to get releases and just needs more time to do so. In the Vita's case, development was never cited as a primary issue for lack of software, so... what's up Sony? Either you care about the thing, or you don't. Letting it float in limbo like this is so confusing.

My thoughts exactly, Sony first party (if you can call outsourcing many of their big IPs to small developers first party), loves to make watered down console games without the portable experience in mind, and they release them almost like afterthoughts. Even Marcus the PSP kid marketing was like an afterthought of Kevin Butler for PS3... and now because of the way the market has been fractured you don't even have Japan or the third party ports PSP had, so relying on first party ends up being month long gaps between single game releases... which are just poor spin offs of their console brothers... *shakes Sony* give us an Animal Crossing or a better invisimals, that was a cool idea!

DiscoJer

At some point prior to the release of the system, someone at Sony must have done Return on Investment research into the feasibility of a new portable system. They would have surely taken into account things like the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, while also keeping in mind the PSP's poor performance relative to their primary competitor in the market: the DS.

I think you are overlooking that its "poor" performance still was a huge success, selling over 75 million units WW.

I think they honestly thought by fixing two of the biggest complaints - the lack of a second stick and getting rid of UMDs that it would be a similar success, or a slightly bigger one.

The difference is, the first time around they had major 3rd party support, this time they have almost none, except what they pay for.

Ain't that the fucking truth... I'm fine with Sony platforms but it's so irritating having two portable consoles in a row not designed with portability in mind, even if we just ignore battery life, you've got sticks protruding out of the system... that is supposed to fit in your pocket... or bag... where it can move and shuffle around... let that sink in for a bit. Then you have a full touch screen all bare, it's not like a cell phone you can insure through your carrier, or get another for next to nothing, if it breaks that's another 250. Then you have cartridge games that require memory cards... MEMORY CARDS!

I just can't believe you've got this laundry list of common sense issues the second time around, you can pull a gamegear once and I think most people will bitch but chalk it up to your first outing... but you get PSP with its UMD format, to PSP Go... with its Goness... to Vita... is your R&D department drunk?

Poorly designed, Not portable?
More like supreme in design.
Fuck outta here!
Dual analogs sticking out of pockets?
Stop wearing skinny jeans. I wear real mens clothes & shorts & never have a problem putting Vita in my pockets. Even my adidas pants with small pockets can hold it.

I think Vita's world wide LTD is still better than the Wii U's. What's the latest on that front?

Like 4 million shipped, so you'd be wrong lol

Poorly designed, Not portable?
More like supreme in design.
Fuck outta here!
Dual analogs sticking out of pockets?
Stop wearing skinny jeans. I wear real mens clothes & shorts & never have a problem putting Vita in my pockets. Even my adidas pants with small pockets can hold it.

I uh... what? That's not the problem with joysticks protruding from a portable console, it's the fact that they're sticks and they're constantly going to snag, drag, get beat up, roughed up, dropped, etc. *shakes head*

urfe

I have "man pants" it would fit in and get damaged in. I have a case and a man-purse for the weekends and suitcase for the weekdays.

Sucks, but I think a case is also a requirement with the 3DS, so seems the norm.

Deat Sony put everything you got behind Vita & PS4 let PS3 coast with cross play & leave the PS3 to 3rd parties. Lead by example force projects from your top tier 1st & 2nd party devs.

Top Bottom