• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call (1.8 million)

Those are numbers are depressingly sad. They need some really huge exclusive software soon. I mean, it is like the Vita doesn't exist... I don't hear much about the Vita nor do I see much marketing for the platform. Barely, if at all, it is mentioned in NPD releases. Those aren't numbers that will get publishers to want to make Vita games and certainly aren't numbers that drive word of mouth.

Unless Sony has a huge E3 for the Vita with a ton of big games coming and a massive bundle or price cut, I just don't see it doing any better at all. Definitely deserves better. Come on Sony...

Koroviev

bought a vita after playing the gravity rush demo inside a gamestop. GIVE ME GRAVITY RUSH ALREADY, and more software please :( i literally have only bought psp games so far for it :\

If you like Japanese games, I'd give Disgaea 3 a look, if you haven't played it already.

So you expect Vita to average from 600k to just under a million a month? You have looked at the sales so far right?

I thought I was already being generous. 10k a week multiplied by 50 weeks would only put Vita at a 500k gain in Japan, and even 200k a month multiplied by 12 months would be 2.4M more in the US. 5M worldwide assumes things will be improving somewhat...

FYI: It's been confirmed in the NPD thread that Vita sold somewhere between 50K and 83K units in the US last month - less than DSi, actually. By comparison, 3DS, which is hardly faring spectacularly, did somewhere between 100K and 150K.

So either Sony is incredibly confident in Vita's unannounced software lineup, or their projections are just delusional. We'll know by TGS which is the case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't have to make a prediction to call you out on yours. :p

A range of 2 million is pretty big, you should have nothing to worry about.

It's been confirmed in the NPD thread that Vita sold somewhere between 50K and 83K units in the US last month.

EZMsd.gif

Didn't Sony say they expect 10 million (worldwide) for Vita? They must have some megaton secret_ps3 game level announcement ready for E3.

XOMTOR

And that potentially is another issue to prevent sales. Honestly, the Vita audience is basically the same audience that bought the PSP. The problem is, the PSP can already play all PS1 games, has emulators for all the previous game systems before PS1, etc, etc.

Who's going to replace that amazing piece of tech in their pocket with a locked down Vita?
Sony's uphill battle is to make the Vita appear more attractive than the completely hacked PSP which I bet a ton of people have done to theirs (since it involves no mod chips or anything and originally was super simple).

Yea, that's certainly one reason I haven't grabbed a Vita yet. I have a CFW'd 2000 and a PSPGo and these are far, far more flexible and useful than a Vita for the forseeable future. While I still have my NES, GameBoy, SNES, GBA and PS1, it's pretty sweet having access to these anywhere and on one device, especially with the Go's diminutive size. Plus coupled with being able to rip my UMD's to memory sticks which are cheap as chips now and well....sorry Vita.

Sadly, I had a bunch of credit card reward miles and I could have picked up a Vita for free basically but I grabbed an iPod Touch 4G/32 instead. The Touch (or iPhone) and a PSPGo make for great portable companions.

Any chance you participate at an unofficial race fot the biggest Vita supporter?

Well, with all the doomsayers and fear mongerers that already exists against the Vita, just because is made by Sony and not by Nintendo, somebody must be the voice of reason against the shouts of madness.

Jokeropia

Well, with all the doomsayers and fear mongerers that already exists against the Vita, just because is made by Sony and not by Nintendo, somebody must be the voice of reason against the shouts of madness.
Haha, the doomsaying was at least as bad for 3DS last year and the VITA is performing notably worse.

Hilarious. The numbers are what they are (much worse than 3DS was doing at its low point), as is the unprecedentedly awful (in terms of realistic ability to drive hardware sales) software lineup.

Yes they are.

But we don't know digital numbers so the argument is meaningless.
Lol. Just because we don't have access to the data doesn't makes it meaningless or nonexistent. The argument still stands. Without the digital and retail sales no judgement can be passed on the sales of Vita software.

jman2050

Lol. Just because you don't having access to the data doesnt makes it meaningless or nonexistent. The argument still stands. Without the digital and retail sales no judgement can be passed on the sales of Vita software.

No, the argument is meaningless, not the data. It's stupid because now anyone can end any argument on Vita sales by saying "but we don't know digital sales!" as if its retail performance is irrelevant. Is there any reason to believe that a title's retail performance doesn't correlate to some significant extent with its digital performance?

Without digital numbers this post doesn't provide much of a full picture for software sales on the platform.

Look at the ratings on PSN and they are very small. Only if you buy the game can you rate. Also, you have to buy a larger memory card to buy games digitally so that is an extra barrier as well to buying digital.

If the digital sales were significant, why hasn't Sony talked about that in this month's NPD PR? A lot of people have a hard time with Sony's pricing for the memory cards, so it's hard to imagine that digital sales are going to change the look of the currently grim picture.

XOMTOR

Lol. Just because we don't have access to the data doesn't makes it meaningless or nonexistent. The argument still stands. Without the digital and retail sales no judgement can be passed on the sales of Vita software.

I have a funny feeling Vita is doing more for PSP software digital sales than for Vita titles (just a feeling, no data of course).

Burai

shitonmychest57

Sorry, but hardware sales are awful and retail software sales are awful. Are you really expecting digital software sales to buck this trend?

Haha, the doomsaying was at least as bad for 3DS last year and the VITA is performing notably worse.
Feeling vindicated and justified? This thread isn't about 3DS, Nintendo has its own challenges with it.

Hilarious. The numbers are what they are (much worse than 3DS was doing at its low point), as is the unprecedentedly awful (in terms of realistic ability to drive hardware sales) software lineup.
Sure buddy, no games were sold digitally cause father_brain said so. This numbers are comparable to the numbers 3ds was making back then. Did Vita killed your dog or something equally evil?

Feeling vindicated and justified? This thread isn't about 3DS, Nintendo has its own challenges with it.

Sure buddy, no games were sold digitally cause father_brain said so. This numbers are comparable to the numbers 3ds was making back then. Did Vita killed your dog or something equally evil?

If by comparable you mean significantly worse then yes

FoneBone

The point isn't that digital numbers would be irrelevant if we had them, but that without any knowledge as to where they are it's not a relevant argument.

No, the argument is meaningless, not the data. It's stupid because now anyone can end any argument on Vita sales by saying "but we don't know digital sales!" as if its retail performance is irrelevant. Is there any reason to believe that a title's retail performance doesn't correlate to some significant extent with its digital performance?
Digital sales would be an additive to retail sales. In regards to your question the only valid answer is that we don't know if it does. We need to have data be published 1st so we can determine correlations.

Look at the ratings on PSN and they are very small. Only if you buy the game can you rate. Also, you have to buy a larger memory card to buy games digitally so that is an extra barrier as well to buying digital.
You don't need to rate to buy, you do need to buy to rate. Thus at best you would be getting the minimum amount of total digital sales. Not representative unless we get trends of rated vs sold on PSN.

If the digital sales were significant, why hasn't Sony talked about that in this month's NPD PR? A lot of people have a hard time with Sony's pricing for the memory cards, so it's hard to imagine that digital sales are going to change the look of the currently grim picture.
They have expressed before that they are happy with them. From the top of my head they recently talked about escape plan.

I have a funny feeling Vita is doing more for PSP software digital sales than for Vita titles (just a feeling, no data of course).
This could be the case.

Sorry, but hardware sales are awful and retail software sales are awful. Are you really expecting digital software sales to buck this trend?
Don't know, however digital plus retail can mean that sales aren't "awful" though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The numbers aren't great even if digital sales were 1:1 with retail sales. Going by the very limited PSN data we do have that is probably NOT the case.

impact

Banned
Digital sales would be an additive to retail sales. In regards to your question the only valid answer is that we don't know if it does. We need to have data be published 1st so we can determine correlations.

You don't need to rate to buy, you do need to buy to rate. Thus at best you would be getting the minimum amount of total digital sales. Not representative unless we get trends of rated vs sold on PSN.

They have expressed before that they are happy with them. From the top of my head they recently talked about escape plan.

This could be the case.

Don't know, however digital plus retail can mean that sales aren't "awful" though.
Man, you're being just as bad as the Nintendo fans spinning when 3DS was doing horrible.

Man, you're being just as bad as the Nintendo fans spinning when 3DS was doing horrible.

The 3DS is still doing horrible in the US, but Vita... yikes. It definitely makes it looks as if things aren't as bad in 3DS land and Nintendo can at least point to Japan for positive signs of the future.

It really does seem a little too soon to write the Vita off as a disaster but Sony doesn't have much more time to reverse this trend. This isn't 2005 when all there really was to choose from for portable gaming was the GBA/DS or the PSP.

shink

Ouch.
Price and software and really the key here and the Vita has yet to find its "must-have" games.
Sony better hurry up and release PSSuite to the public so they can get a share of the mobile gaming pie.

Sky Chief

The 3DS is still doing horrible in the US, but Vita... yikes. It definitely makes it looks as if things aren't as bad in 3DS land and Nintendo can at least point to Japan for positive signs of the future.

It really does seem a little too soon to write the Vita off as a disaster but Sony doesn't have much more time to reverse this trend. This isn't 2005 when all there really was to choose from for portable gaming was the GBA/DS or the PSP.

All dedicated gaming hardware and software is doing terribly. April has to have been one of the worst months for the industry ever. New console generations should have started last year. iOS has won. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! The industry is tanking all around. Totally serious BTW.

Want me to buy a Vita? Tell Square to put their god damn PSP library on PSN so I don't have a reason to buy a PSP-3000 first in order to play half the games that are unplayable on the PSV.

jonno394

Want me to buy a Vita? Tell Square to put their god damn PSP library on PSN so I don't have a reason to buy a PSP-3000 first in order to play half the games that are unplayable on the PSV.

I really want to replay Crisis Core and i've never played Birth by SLeep. Has any reason ever been given as to why they're not on PSN apart from Square hate smoney?

Synless

I really want to replay Crisis Core and i've never played Birth by SLeep. Has any reason ever been given as to why they're not on PSN apart from Square hate smoney?
There is a reason, SE just hasn't said what that reason is, though they have talked about it.

Top Bottom