• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rate Sony's reveal event even higher now after watching the other ones?

Considering How disappointing Gaming events have been so Far, that really makes the Sony event in July somewhat special.

Sure it was not the best It could ever been but It certainly had very good heavy titles that all the other events missed.

You got strong third party games like RE8, New AAA Ip from big Studio (the one from Square Enix) and some amazing heavy weight exclusive titles like GT 7, SPIDERMAN, ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls remake.

All that suggests that Sony is really on a Very special position in the industry right now.

What your guys thoughts?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Bugsnax and Sackboy alone we enough to beat any gaming event this summer.

RIP Nintendo and Xbox 360.

Fuck I almost forgot my personal Game of The Year - Goodbye Volcano High. Where all my furries at?!

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
CiymTLU.gif

supernova8

Banned
I wouldn't say Sony is special. It's more that Microsoft didn't really deliver anything and Nintendo is MIA right now. In previous generations we had big game blowouts from all sides.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Considering How disappointing Gaming events have been so Far, that really makes the Sony event in July somewhat special.

Sure it was not the best It could ever been but It certainly had very good heavy titles that all the other events missed.

You got strong third party games like RE8, New AAA Ip from big Studio (the one from Square Enix) and some amazing heavy weight exclusive titles like GT 7, SPIDERMAN, ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls remake.

All that suggests that Sony is really on a Very special position in the industry right now.

What your guys thoughts?

I wouldn't rate any of this summer's events particularly high.

Gamerguy84

I dont think Sony show was paced well.

If they only showed their bigger games it would have been better.

Whats even crazier is they still have more big guns to show, as well as 3rd party deals.

Bryank75

Banned
It had some great games but the pace was off and the focus was wrong.

Games like Bugsnax, GBVH and several others really slowed things down and are not games the hardcore who tune in, want.

If they just had Spider-man MM, R&C, Demons Souls, RE8, Returnal and GT7 with the console reveal, it would have been plenty. There was too much content, half was forgotten and stopped the flow of things.

It was easily better than everything else but a mere shadow of what they achieved in 2015 and even moreso in 2016, which was the best E3 ever IMO.

Last edited:

Romulus

I was underwhelmed, but then I watched the xbox show and suddenly Sony's felt like 1999 E3 by comparison.

Tschumi

You're giving xBox fans a chance to rewrite history OP :p yes, absolutely, more in game footage, better games, no hilarious graphical faux pas... It was the reveal a new generation deserves.. not the reveal Sony insisted everyone really wanted :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chromata

No, Sony's reveal event was just okay. Microsoft's first event was terrible, the second one was better but still not good.

All the next gen showings have been underwhelming, the best thing we've seen is Ratchet & Clank but even that doesn't blow the doors down.

I have yet to see a Ryse/Killzone Shadow Fall moment.

Last edited:

yodine53

i still don't know how Miles Morales is coming in less than 4 months and they didn't show 1 minute of gameplay at that event. It could have saved the show.

Kagey K

Banned
I think if we have to rate varying degrees of shit, coming out as the shit that looked bad, and then looked good because of other shits, it’s still shit.

It’s sad that this is the level of bargaining we have come to in a year with 2 major console launches.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t believe I can rate it higher than I rated before.

It was the best Sony presentation ever made... game after game after game after game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No. It was an 8/10 then and it's still an 8/10 now.

“Summer of games” has been nothing but slow, drawn-out mediocrity.

Nothing impressive has been shown, nothing special or original has stood out.

This is by far the worst lead-up to any next generation console launch that I can remember.

Last edited:
PS5 reveal event was an easy 10/10 compared to everything we have seen post and before that. Like seriously the Xbox May next gen gameplay showcase was a shitshow, the Jul xbox show was mediocre showing due to heavy reliance on pre rendered cgi reveals. And this Gamescom event last night was one snoozefest event.

I've always thought the Sony event was really good. Yeah, it had some flaws (starting with GTA 5, Volcano School Furry trash game, Bugsnax), but imo it was far outweighed by many of the games shown that got me excited for PS5: Spider-Man, Kena Bridge of Spirits, Returnal, Deathloop, Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon 2, Little Devil Inside, Stray, Observer Redux, Resident Evil 8, Godfall, Project Athia looked cool, Ghostwire from my dude Shinji Mikami, and even Pragmata (though it's just minor intrigue since we know nothing about the game, but it's Capcom baby!).

IMHO, Sony has had the only good showing this summer that actually made me excited for next gen. Everyone else has been from meh to abysmal. Even Nintendo, which is my favorite company of them all, has completely disappointed me with their mini directs and lack of updates/content.

As far as next gen is concerned, I feel Microsoft completely dropped the ball. This was their chance to wow us and show they were back with a vengeance. All I remember from both their disappointing events is Second Instinct (L4D but with dinos, heck yeah), Scorn (I've been following that game for years now), the disappointing Halo reveal and The Medium, which looked very compelling. I want Microsoft to succeed... Competition is good because we all get good games and forces competition to keep up by also outputting quality titles and services. However, it is looking very dire.

Gamescom today was a snooze fest. It all looked so bland and generic. I've also lost count of all the "events" that have happened. I'm also getting tired of all these events, especially when they are a waste of time. There was a devolver one I think? There was another one with a demon first person shooter rhythm game that looked dope. Anyway, I don't think making all these separate events was a good idea. Most of them were rather lacking in content and ended up being disappointing or pointless.

John254

Banned
Nope. Not one show gave me reasons to be excited for next-gen.
So, thats why I'm buying next-gen console just to play old games in better quality (looking at you Destiny 2)

ZehDon

Good Lord no. It was terrible then, and its terrible now. All the shows this year have been scarily underwhelming. A brief re-cap:

Sony is launching a brand new generation with indies, remakes, a mid-2000s mascot shooter, and a controller that sometimes feels like its broken.
Microsoft is launching a brand new generation with nothing, indies, more nothing, and the worst AAA reveal of all time. At least the machine is capable of running the games you own from the last time Xbox mattered at higher resolutions.
Nintendo continues to steal ducks from the local pond.
Activision is charging more and delivering less for their Chinese overlords. Blizzard's corpse was occasionally paraded around.
EA is re-releasing their sports games from last year without any changes. No one noticed. Bioware is apparently on suicide watch.
Take2 was so busy counting GTAV money they forgot they develop any video games. Maybe they'll remember next generation.
Bethesda is waiting for everyone to stop laughing at Halo Infinite so they can un-ironically announce a Skyrim re-remasterd re-rerelease for PS5 and XSX.

But hey, that Grounded trailer made me laugh with their Cyberpunk reference. That was cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That’s a low bar to set. Hopefully they don’t follow your expectations.

I rated it an 8/10 after I watched it. It doesn't deserve any higher. I don't know why I would rate it higher now since other shows doesn't change their show at all. Not enough gameplay. Way too many Indies. Pacing sucked in the middle of the show. Too many CGI trailers. My issues were basically the same for both PS5 and Xbox. Both rated an 8/10 because I go based on how many games they're revealing/showing that I want to play.

TheAssist

I liked the presentation even back then. Had some really good and interesting games. I actually think its one of my favorite console reveals ever when it comes to the games being shown. And I watched all the major ones again this year. They are all different levels of underwhelming in terms of games. Even the PS4 reveal only had KZ:S. Everything else was kinda knack. But this one was completely fine. I dont get what people expect these days.
People in here behave like 12 year olds who never made the transition to another generation. Its never a revolution. Launch games are rarely anything special. You can be happy when you have a bunch of very decent looking games that are on par with the gameplay of current gen. Thats how that shit works and if you expect more you havent learned from history and apparently cant figure out how game production during a transitional period works.

Orta

Banned
Yes I would. It was clearly the greatest moment in history. Only man setting foot on Mars will perhaps be a more seismic event and even that will be a close call.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Having a low bar surrounded by ground level bars doesn’t suddenly jump it up. The ps5 reveal event was still pretty tame and boring, but it just happened to be the best of a bad situation.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
In hindsight now we have seen a few more conferences, it's probably the best of a bad bunch. At least the games were running on the console itself rather than a PC, I am convinced Sony will show more soon and for the love of god both Sony and MS open pre-orders.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought we was talking about Gamescom but the subject seems to have moved onto MS without even mentioning them...🤔
Just saying Event get the MS guys feathers ruffled
I personally think MS hires people to make memeable stuff.
Noway it's done accidentally 😐

Sony has been better, but both haven't shown a reason to buy their consoles

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It was OK, but not great. Doesn't change just because some other shows were shit.

fermcr

All conferences were somewhere between bad and average... Sony simply has a better PR department and more die hard fanboys that are willing to forgive them anything.

Last edited:

mejin

The only thing that really matters is the consistency of their approach. Sony is the only one with a clear path to reach their objectives because they know what they want and know what they need to do.

Right now even part of the xbox fans already know how big the gap is.

Top Bottom