• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, console gaming is fantastic!

keraj37

I have been playing only on PC since mid 90s, starting with my amiga 500.
I always looked away from console market, for as a programmer I always preferred open system, where I can entertain myself and work.

But I must say that 2k made me buy entry level xbox series s, only so I can play NBA 2k21 Next Gen.
But along the side I also reminded myself that in late 90s I played NHL games which I loved and didn't have possibility to play sports games like this since.
So I bought NBA 2k21 and NHL 21.
But also other games and I plan to buy FIFA 21 Next Gen.

20210107-215222.jpg

The reason I made this thread is to share my hardcore PC gamer's view on advantages of console gaming:

1. Great sports games that are not on PC (I know they could be from technical point of view but lets just drop it here)
2. Closed system preventing cheating (this is my first NBA 2k that I am not using, ekhm, 'mods', and I love that I need to play by the rules)
3. Closed system focused entirely on gaming, making you feel you are in World of entertainment, and entertainment only.
4. As a PC gamer I am discovering many new games, that I wouldn't install on my PC or they are simply not available on PC to start with.
5. Those little things, like the sounds of UI or sound of booting the xbox 360 system through BC gives me unknown to this day vibes.

Ending, I want to say, I am in - I am console gamer now, I am enjoying myself a lot!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is there a breakdown of sales between the XSX and XSS. There was a thread a while ago of another GAF member buying a XSS. Maybe it is a real hit.

keraj37

Is there a breakdown of sales between the XSX and XSS. There was a thread a while ago of another GAF member buying a XSS. Maybe it is a real hit.

For me it is a hit - I have a powerfull PC and I am not playing at 4k, coz I don't like how it looks sharp and crisp, I like to see some pixels to remind me it is a game - I am an old school here.
So playing at 3k or 2k is no problem for me and apart from that I play everything that is available for XSX.

Why Xbox and no PS5? If you already have a PC I think the later would have been a better option.

Just my opinion tho. Enjoy your comfy console gaming OP!

I had thread about it :D https://www.neogaf.com/threads/play...pers-i-will-not-get-one-any-time-soon.1584135

PC multiplayer gaming is really hurt by cheating. People cheat in Among Us ffs.

Cheating is fast becoming much worse issue on consoles. Atleast on PC you can see cheaters get banned [most of the time ...eventually] , but on consoles anyone can cheat to their heart's content, forever, without any consequences.

Magog.

Banned
Cheating is fast becoming much worse issue on consoles. Atleast on PC you can see cheaters get banned [most of the time ...eventually] , but on consoles anyone can cheat to their heart's content, forever, without any consequences.

I've never noticed anyone cheat on consoles outside of taking advantage of glitches built into the code which a good developer can patch out. PC cheaters modify the code and can ruin just about any game because of it.

Even if they do get banned it's of no consequence. If you get banned on PC you have to buy the game again (unless it's F2P obviously), if you get banned on console you...make a new account. I had a hacked PS3 back in the day (actually still do, it's just been boxed up for years) and while I never really used it to cheat I did get banned every now and then. What did I do? Make a new account and continue not giving a single solitary fuck. Once or twice a year they might even ban my console and then I'd...

...wait for it...

...spoof my console ID (which was already spoofed, the original ID is still unbanned to this day) and continue not caring at all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That sucks. Not only do you work so much you don't have time to game, but you don't even make enough to spend that money for gaming.
For some thats true but in my case, PC just doesn't have enough games for me that I'm willing to invest on it.

Aegsorciten

Neo Member
Yeah, I would still say that the best gaming experience, is PC + Playstation, more so in recent years as more and more Microsoft exclusives are released on PC, however all FPS games is better on PC, keyboard+mouse in unparalleled.

MiguelItUp

Nice! I think the realm of PC + Console(s) is the way to go through and through. Glad you're enjoying it! I was a huge console gamer up until my family got their first PC when I was 13/14. Everything changed then, haha. Well at least to the point where I focused on both, though I leaned on PC more than consoles.

Nowadays consoles can do so much more, but the convenience remains the same.

It wouldn't mean much yet, since it is still 100% dependent on what MS produced for launch (which is probably 90% Series X).

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I've changed between console and PC multiple times, I'm mostly PC now though and fine with it. Yes it can be annoying at times trying to get things to work well (especially with my potato), but it's the price you pay for versatility and an open platform. I'd still like to own all the consoles though and VR if I could afford it :p

Sentenza

Man, this thread seems to come from a Bizarro Universe from me.
My last console purchase was a PS4 PRO and I still think after almost two years that I absolutely wasted my money on it and it serves me mostly as a bedroom Youtube player, because I prefer to do all of my gaming from my PC desk every time that's even remotely an option.

Even playing "consoles exclusives" is something I prefer to do with emulation (and all the customization that comes with it) when given the option.

Last edited:

Sentenza

KXgoClI.png

Is this just a bad port?
It's a bad game in general, with a predatory monetization model on top.
People just complain about it more on Steam, while a lot of them just suck it down happily on consoles for some reason.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I've recently started having a hankering to get back to my beloved pc.. been exclusively PS4 the last month or so... I just miss certain games which need a keyboard and mouse... I can't believe i own Warhammer Total War 2 (100 hours played) and I'm not playing it.. but luckily for PS4 I've got a bunch of titles I've committed to complete.. starting with lotr Shadow of War and Final Fantasy XII the Zodiac Age

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I have been playing only on PC since mid 90s, starting with my amiga 500.
I always looked away from console market, for as a programmer I always preferred open system, where I can entertain myself and work.

But I must say that 2k made me buy entry level xbox series s, only so I can play NBA 2k21 Next Gen.
But along the side I also reminded myself that in late 90s I played NHL games which I loved and didn't have possibility to play sports games like this since.
So I bought NBA 2k21 and NHL 21.
But also other games and I plan to buy FIFA 21 Next Gen.

20210107-215222.jpg

The reason I made this thread is to share my hardcore PC gamer's view on advantages of console gaming:

1. Great sports games that are not on PC (I know they could be from technical point of view but lets just drop it here)
Only hockey missing. The rest = meh.
2. Closed system preventing cheating (this is my first NBA 2k that I am not using, ekhm, 'mods', and I love that I need to play by the rules)
Hello diablo 3 hacked char, Xim4, etc. And lol at need. Choose to play by rules >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> need. LOL
3. Closed system focused entirely on gaming, making you feel you are in World of entertainment, and entertainment only.
That is not a advantage. That is a OS that does not let you do almost anything.
4. As a PC gamer I am discovering many new games, that I wouldn't install on my PC or they are simply not available on PC to start with.
That si a "you" problem, not a pc problem.
5. Those little things, like the sounds of UI or sound of booting the xbox 360 system through BC gives me unknown to this day vibes.
You can customize you pc to even fart on boot if you want.
Ending, I want to say, I am in - I am console gamer now, I am enjoying myself a lot!
Cool for you.

Last edited:

Manus

It's a bad game in general, with a predatory monetization model on top.
People just complain about it more on Steam, while a lot of them just suck it down happily on consoles for some reason.

Ah gotcha, was weird when OP said he wanted great sports game and got NBA 2K21 when it's on Steam. Was just curious if it was an awful port.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Congrats on your downgrade - or upgrade, if you came straight from the Amiga.
Jokes aside, I was going from pc to XO last gen cus I got my own house and wanted to be in my living room.

I even got hyped on ps4 a few years later and bought it because of the better graphic and TLOU, and both disappointed me.
After around five years I went back to pc gaming and never looked back.

Goodbye having to pay for multiplayer.
Goodbye playing on inferior controls.
Goodbye expensive games.
And it goes on and on.

With all that negativity though, I congrats you. It really shined with the BC compatibility.
I just can't stand controllers in shooters or be forced to pay for online no matter the cost.

I've never noticed anyone cheat on consoles outside of taking advantage of glitches built into the code which a good developer can patch out. PC cheaters modify the code and can ruin just about any game because of it.
51woH1tn5hL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

keraj37

Congrats on your downgrade - or upgrade, if you came straight from the Amiga.
Jokes aside, I was going from pc to XO last gen cus I got my own house and wanted to be in my living room.

I even got hyped on ps4 a few years later and bought it because of the better graphic and TLOU, and both disappointed me.
After around five years I went back to pc gaming and never looked back.

Goodbye having to pay for multiplayer.
Goodbye playing on inferior controls.
Goodbye expensive games.
And it goes on and on.

With all that negativity though, I congrats you. It really shined with the BC compatibility.
I just can't stand controllers in shooters or be forced to pay for online no matter the cost.

I hear you, the deal to buy xbox live gold is shady, but I will be playing only games that are made for controllers like sport or platformers. FPS is PC domain for me.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I hear you, the deal to buy xbox live gold is shady, but I will be playing only games that are made for controllers like sport or platformers. FPS is PC domain for me.
Ah I get you. Aren't those games on pc though as well? Or are they so disastrous ports that they aren't counted as playable?

itsArtie

Congrats, now you just need a PS5 when it becomes available. That way you can enjoy all the things gaming systems have to offer. Way better than going all out on a $4k PC, not having enough money for anything else and then saying "consoles suck anyway" :messenger_beaming:

LordOfChaos

For me I'd add that, you spend more time gaming rather than tweaking, because there's very little to tweak.

PCs are their own kind of fun, but sometimes I get distracted by that "Oh, this hit 54fps? Better go adjust the settings" feeling. On a closed fixed function box that's someone elses job, with maybe a performance or quality toggle at most.

Last edited:
Even if they do get banned it's of no consequence. If you get banned on PC you have to buy the game again (unless it's F2P obviously), if you get banned on console you...make a new account. I had a hacked PS3 back in the day (actually still do, it's just been boxed up for years) and while I never really used it to cheat I did get banned every now and then. What did I do? Make a new account and continue not giving a single solitary fuck. Once or twice a year they might even ban my console and then I'd...

...wait for it...

...spoof my console ID (which was already spoofed, the original ID is still unbanned to this day) and continue not caring at all.
Ok so instead of having to buy the game again as on PC, on console you lose your account and all the games you've purchased on said account.

I'm kinda not seeing why you're framing this as being better on the PC side?

GametimeUK

There's no doubt I prefer PC and that's just the way it is. That being said I also love console gaming. I have my PC hooked up to my TV and monitor and my console hooked up to the TV. Having the options is great.

There is no denying that console is absolutely fantastic at the moment. It's what I use to play with friends. The machines for £500 are far superior to any PC I could get for the same price currently. The digital sales on console have reached a place where they are really tempting now. HDR and having less tweaking to do in the graphics menu is also at times a plus for me. I think the main thing right now is the consoles are powerful, easy to use and have great software. It's also a place where all my friends are for online gaming. Oh and so many games are hitting 60fps now.

Happy with my PS5! :)

The_Mike

PCs are their own kind of fun, but sometimes I get distracted by that "Oh, this hit 54fps? Better go adjust the settings" feeling.

Well that's your mindset. No one's complaining about 30 fps on consoles, why should you complain about 54 fps? Get a g sync monitor.

The biggest question of all is, why do you only get 54 fps? Those a rookie numbers!

On a closed fixed function box that's someone elses job, with maybe a performance or quality toggle at most.

Personally, I would rather be able to disable Ray tracing to get 140 fps plus instead of a greasy coder forcing it on me and getting a 30 fps experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom