• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Brochure leak

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fragamemnon said:
No matter how you spin it, though, there is NO FUCKING WAY a cheap Wi-Fi adapter should cost $99. There is pretty much zero reason why this thing shouldn't be 30-40 dollars tops.

a/b/g powered by USB, form fitting with my Xbox, practically invisible? I think it's premium priced but where can you find a wireless adapter that does all that for $30?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239054.asp

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239025.asp

And if you really wanna save, buy a 3rd party ethernet WET. Which will work fine.

KingV

Anyone else notice that the wireless adapter was A/B/G not just B/G compatible? Not sure if that makes it a better deal or not.

IJoel

Stinkles said:
a/b/g powered by USB, form fitting with my Xbox, practically invisible? I think it's premium priced but where can you find a wireless adapter that does all that for $30?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239054.asp

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239025.asp

And if you really wanna save, buy a 3rd party ethernet WET. Which will work fine.

Oh, so it will support any 3rd party USB wireless adapter? This would be great news. I don't care for it being fitting. The one i use for my PC can't even be seen and I bought it for $25. It'll most likely be invisible to the eye on the back of the Xbox 360.

Oni Jazar

IJoel said:
Oh, so it will support any 3rd party USB wireless adapter? This would be great news. I don't care for it being fitting. The one i use for my PC can't even be seen and I bought it for $25. It'll most likely be invisible to the eye on the back of the Xbox 360.

Pretty sure you won't be able to use any 3rd party usb wireless adapter. You can use a 3rd party bridge. Anything that goes from wireless to RJ-45.

rastex

Banned
IJoel said:

The link that Stinkles gave was for a wireless bridge, there's a big difference. The bridge will convert wireless signals into ethernet signals, so the bridge will connect to the ethernet port of your Xbox (or 360). Any device with an ethernet port will work with a wireless bridge. For the 360, the branded one is a wireless adapter, so what that does is connect to the USB port and performs no conversion to ethernet.

Summary

Bridge
Wireless->Bridge->Ethernet Port->360

USB Adapter
Wireless->Adapter->USB->360

IJoel

rastex said:
The link that Stinkles gave was for a wireless bridge, there's a big difference. The bridge will convert wireless signals into ethernet signals, so the bridge will connect to the ethernet port of your Xbox (or 360). Any device with an ethernet port will work with a wireless bridge. For the 360, the branded one is a wireless adapter, so what that does is connect to the USB port and performs no conversion to ethernet.

Summary

Bridge
Wireless->Bridge->Ethernet Port->360

USB Adapter
Wireless->Adapter->USB->360

Ah, I thought he was referring to USB adapters. I know what a bridge is and it's also stupidly expensive. Problem is that the Xbox 360 adapter is an USB one and I see why I should be paying $100 to them when it probably costs them under $20 to manufacture those.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Well, it's nice to see that the Play and Charge Kit includes a battery. I guess the only reason they sell those separately is if yours dies, or if you have more than two controllers (since you can only use two charge cords at once anyways, no point in having more). You still have to pay $70 for a wireless, rechargable controller though, and that sucks.

And it's I guess it's nice of them to make optical-out standard on all cables, even the s-video. Even though it should have just been on the console itself.

rastex

Banned
IJoel said:
Ah, I thought he was referring to USB adapters. I know what a bridge is and it's also stupidly expensive. Problem is that the Xbox 360 adapter is an USB one and I see why I should be paying $100 to them when it probably costs them under $20 to manufacture those.

Right now, from the universal connectivity that the 360 seems to have with iPods, PSPs, digital cameras, etc, I'm thinking that the driver support is going to be comparable to XP out of the box. Meaning, I think that a standard USB wireless adapter should work, and I REALLY hope that USB HDDs work as well. I mean, I'm sure the 360 is seeing the iPod and PSP simply as USB Mass Storage devices, so if those devices could be written to as well as read from, then you're golden.

brocke

Banned
I really like the fact that those wireless controllers work with PCs.

Each of the 3 companies (Sony, MS, Nintendo) all have a completely different feel to them it seems. I might just be grabbing all 3 again.

Stinkles

Somebody just told me (and they should know) that there's no reason it shouldn't work (generic USB wireless). But that's very very different from saying yes it works.

bill0527

So the hard drive comes pre-loaded with a puzzle game....

That has Peter Moore's dirty little fingerprints all over it.

Remember the Sega Master System?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bill0527 said:
So the hard drive comes pre-loaded with a puzzle game....

That has Peter Moore's dirty little fingerprints all over it.

Remember the Sega Master System?

the maze owned

don't you dare diss that maze.

Oni Jazar

Check out TIVO which supports wireless USB adapters and you'll see a nightmare of driver and hardware versions support. Why would MS support 3rd party adapters while charging $100 for their own?

Stinkles

DopeyFish said:
the maze owned

Yeah, fuck you.
There should be a Maze hidden in every console.

PS., that was a little before Moore's time.

i remember i tried to impress my friend by showing him the hidden maze game on his Master System (we were the only two people in the whole school with a SMS) and, to my suprise, his system had Hang-On built in!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I wish there was an option to let me "trade up" to the better remote. I'll be buying the $399 pack but I want the universal remote, and I really can't see the point in having two remotes. Maybe the extra stuff is not packed into the box and I can do that.

bill0527

DopeyFish said:
the maze owned

Considering some the crap I played on the Sega Master System, I would have to agree with you.

Most of the library was suckage except for Alien Syndrome, After Burner, Shinobi, and Phantasy Star.

Don't get me started on those games they made on the little cards.

Anytime you got one of those games on a card as a gift, it was the biggest disappointment. Its like opening up a christmas present that has pretty artwork on a box full of shit.

Mrbob

Seth C said:
The brochure also mentions "free demos" as part of the Live Marketplace. Awesome. 360 get.

Free demos as long as publishers/developers provide them. I'm hoping this does come to fruition as it would be great to be able to download a new game demo right away. That 20 gig hdd could fill up quickly then. :)

Oh, and glad to see MS now has a spin on the Nintendo seal of quality! :lol

VGA cable, nice...when I eventually get a 360 I might have to kick my Dreamcast out of the VGA port on my TV.

When the time comes, HDTV and PS3 might end up having to battle each other in mortal combat for the HDMI port on my TV though. =P

Seth C

joaomgcd said:
Does anyone know if the wireless controller battery pack is just 2 AA batteries put together?

It should be, yes. The wireless pad will accept two regular AA batteries.

Seth C

Mrbob said:
Free demos as long as publishers/developers provide them. I'm hoping this does come to fruition as it would be great to be able to download a new game demo right away. That 20 gig hdd could fill up quickly then. :)

Oh, and glad to see MS now has a spin on the Nintendo seal of quality! :lol

Very true, but I don't see why they wouldn't if Microsoft is pushing it. They supported the official demo discs in magazines. This would be even more convenient for everyone.

Mrbob

Seth C said:
Very true, but I don't see why they wouldn't if Microsoft is pushing it. They supported the official demo discs in magazines. This would be even more convenient for everyone.

Well, that's the thing. If there is an "Exclusive Xbox 360 Magazine" then a push will be there to make the demo content exclusive to the magazine, when we could have downloaded the demo 6 weeks earlier.....

Seth C

Mrbob said:
Well, that's the thing. If there is an "Exclusive Xbox 360 Magazine" then a push will be there to make the demo content exclusive to the magazine, when we could have downloaded the demo 6 weeks earlier.....

Perhaps there won't need to be anexlusive magazine due to this feature? Even if there, is, it could cater to those without broadband internet. Besides, you know how "exclusives" work in this industry. If the demo is available a few weeks later online, I'm fine with that.

sangreal

With only a (likely small) portion of xbox 360 owners having a hard drive suitable for storing demos I don't expect too much support.

Shame, because I think it would've been a great oppurtunity for gamers and publishers alike.

Seth C

sangreal said:
With only a (likely small) portion of xbox 360 owners having a hard drive suitable for storing demos I don't expect too much support.

Shame, because I think it would've been a great oppurtunity for gamers and publishers alike.

Haha...all indications say the small portion will be those without hard drives. Come on now.

joaomgcd

Seth C said:
It should be, yes. The wireless pad will accept two regular AA batteries.

If that's true, I'm just going to have 2 spare rechargable batteries so I can exchange them whenever the other 2 run out. I'll have to get up and pause the game anyway if I buy the rechargable pack, so what's the point? I might aswell just exchange batteries.

Seth C

joaomgcd said:
If that's true, I'm just going to have 2 spare rechargable batteries so I can exchange them whenever the other 2 run out. I'll have to get up and pause the game anyway if I buy the rechargable pack, so what's the point? I might aswell just exchange batteries.

I think I will be doing the same thing. It might be more convenient to simply have an 8 AA charger near by that constantly has 6-8 charged batteries. That way friends can eaisly bring their wireless pads over and we'll all be ready to go.

I assume that when the batteries go the Xbox 360 will detect it as a controller disconnect and automatically pause the game the same way the Xbox does.

hgplayer1

Guy LeDouche said:
Hah, it looks like they want you to get both the HDD and a memory card. HDD for backwards compatibility and a memory card for kiosk DLC. Sucks there are exlusive features for different storage accessories.

kiosk DLC will probably just be content that you can download from the market place that people who dont have internet access couldnt get to otherwise. I would think dashboard themes will be part of the marketplace too.

the only thing I see about the wireless adapter that I like is the fact that you wont need a power source. Ill most likely just stay hard wired.

Nice to see official that the controllers will be XP compatible. Will definitely take advantage of that and finally retire my good ol' Sidewinder.

Still just selective backwards compatibility. Bah.

wow downloadable dashboards and media center extensions, sounds like they enjoyed looked at the benefits of modded xbox's when they designed the 360. still a sweet idea though. hopefully theyll let you use jpeg's stored on your personal usb devices within the dashboard

im also really happy the controllers are compatable with XP

games like shenmue 2 and panzer dragoon orta better be a part of that selective BC. im lookin at sellin my xbox this christmas to help fund my 360 purchases

also the included remote seems to do the media center functions as well, if you look on the bottom there is a square media center button, so im not complaining.

----

Banned
Which is the most absurdly priced accessory? I'm having a tough time deciding.

1.) Is it the $100 USB wi-fi dongle? :lol I remember this item being heavily rumored to be $15 which seems way off the mark now.

2.) Is it the $40 component cables which received a 100% markup over last generation?

3.) Is it the $100 20GB HDD, which many people would argue shouldn't even have become an accessory?

or

4.) Is it the $20 faceplates which are completely pointless, a total waste of plastic, bad for the environment, and only meant for people who don't value money? Couldn't they have accomplished the same task in better way by just selling vinyl skins to cover the machine? This way we don't have to clutter our homes with worthless pieces of plastic.

To their credit I'll say the wireless controllers are much much more reasonable now that I see the "play and charge kit" will include a battery.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
---- said:
4.) Is it the $20 faceplates which are completely pointless, a total waste of plastic, very bad for the environment, and only meant for people who don't value money?
Not to mention that the three pictured ones are HIDEOS. That flame one? Come on, that's like MadCatz quality. No one will buy these.

GONZO

is the 2.4 ghz wireless remote gonna interfere with my wireless router? If not how are they managing this?

sangreal

---- said:
Which is the most absurdly priced accessory? I'm having a tough time deciding.

1.) Is it the $100 USB wi-fi dongle? :lol I remember this item being heavily rumored to be $15 which seems way off the mark now.

2.) Is it the $40 component cables which received a 100% markup over last generation?

3.) Is it the $100 20GB HDD, which many people would argue shouldn't even have become an accessory?

or

4.) Is it the $20 faceplates which are completely pointless, a total waste of plastic, very bad for the environment, and only meant for people who don't value money?

To their credit I'll say the wireless controllers are much much more reasonable now that I see the "play and charge kit" will include a battery.

Easily 1), followed by a close 2).

Oh, and lets not forget $40 for 64mb of flash memory.

GONZO said:
is the 2.4 ghz wireless remote gonna interfere with my wireless router? If not how are they managing this?
does the logitech controller interfere with your wireless network now?? the spectrum is pretty big, how do you think they ae able to have 4 wireless controllers per console??

sangreal

BuckRobotron said:
Nice to see official that the controllers will be XP compatible. Will definitely take advantage of that and finally retire my good ol' Sidewinder.

That has been official for ages. It is only the wired controllers though. Presumably with the $20 P&C kit wireless will work.

GONZO said:

All they've said is:
Switching channels a thousand times a second, it ensures that you always have a great connection. And if a channel is already being used? It will just skip that channel the next time from then on out.

That being said, I have plenty of bluetooth & other 2.4ghz devices that don't interfere with my wifi so I doubt it'll be a problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AssMan said:
I still can't believe 360 and PS3 will look pretty much identical

I'm not sure which X360 and which PS3 you're looking at :p

Anyway, the X360 controllers working with PCs has been on the cards for a while, but it's good to have final confirmation.

----

Banned
sangreal said:
Easily 1), followed by a close 2).

Oh, and lets not forget $40 for 64mb of flash memory.
Yeah but only a retard is going to buy that, so why bothering even acknowledging it's existence. Plus Sony was originally charging $35 for the PS2 memory card and that only had 8MB.

On the otherhand the PS2 hard drive was 40GB and it included a FF game for $100. The fact that they didn't use a proprietary drive was of some value as well.

If you're using a memory card instead of HDD with your retard pack, I don't even want to know about it and you certainly shouldn't brag about it.

sangreal said:
That has been official for ages. It is only the wired controllers though. Presumably with the $20 P&C kit wireless will work.

We expected it but I only consider it official now with official brochure complete with UPC code no less. And even brochure contents always have disclaimers about possible changes to final product. As has been seen, there can be surprises with packaging and functionality of Xbox 360 and components (as with any complex product introduction).

Top Bottom