• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Brochure leak

HokieJoe

TheDuce22 said:
Holy crap, people are actually bitching about the impact of xbox 360 on the environment. I hope to god that entire series of posts was meant to be sarcastic.

:lol

Sadly, I don't think so.

Yusaku

Interesting that the wired controller can be used in Windows XP. I'd figure whatever voodoo they're using to lock-out third party hardware would make it useless for XP. I wonder if the headset can be used in XP.

Somnia

Question on the Premium pack.... does it come with regular cables for regular T.V.'s? Doubt I'll have a HDTV in time for november

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
What's with all these UK shops taking online pre-orders, but no US/NA shops?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Is it just me, or does that wireless adaptor look like it as a USP connector on it? I have D-Link's Wireless Gamefuel Adaptor for my current XBOX and that sure as shit won't connect via USB. WTF?

sangreal

DenogginizerOS said:
Is it just me, or does that wireless adaptor look like it as a USP connector on it? I have D-Link's Wireless Gamefuel Adaptor for my current XBOX and that sure as shit won't connect via USB. WTF?

Yes, it is a USB wireless adapter. What you have is a Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Your bridge will work just fine on the 360.

sangreal

Spinning Plates said:
What happened to the webcam?

It was never planned for launch.

What kind of new experiences will the 360's camera open up?

J Allard: Well the camera software support went into the dev kits in April or the end of March, so developers haven't had a lot of time with the camera yet. The good news however is that it's very straightforward. What our plan is with the camera is to integrate it deeply into the system as we did with voice last generation, so it's part of all games and it's part of the user experience. We'll launch the camera when there are five or six, or maybe the right number of games which are compatible with it, so it might not be something that we ship at launch. Until we have a line up for it that's exciting we're not going to launch it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Rhindle said:
More importantly:

Regular pack = #1

Retard Pack = #7

Regular is probably outselling the Tard Pack 10:1.

Real-world customers give GA whiners the big FU!
But what about teh value!!! TEH VALUE I SAY!!!

sangreal said:
It was never planned for launch.

Cheers sangreal.

It's gonna be a lot more difficult to intergrate than voice, especially with it not being attached to anything as the mic was with XBL. Also if some people don't like to talk on Live then multiply that by 3 when being on camera is concerned.

It will be interesting to see how they implement it into the games. I think the obvious starter would be for people to be represented in video when waiting in the respected games lobby.

I also see that the tech specs now have it listed at 30fps as opposed to the 8fps that it was originally listed as.

sangreal

Spinning Plates said:
I also see that the tech specs now have it listed at 30fps as opposed to the 8fps that it was originally listed as.

yeah, I noticed that too. very good news. That 8fps was worrying.

VPhys

Rhindle said:
More importantly:

Regular pack = #1

Retard Pack = #7

Regular is probably outselling the Tard Pack 10:1.

Real-world customers give GA whiners the big FU!

However, those shopping on amazon.com (and online in general) are probably more savvy and intelligent than Joanna Mom, Joe Dad, and Joe Teenager.

Sadly most 360s won't be sold online but at the Walmarts, BestBuys, and CircuitCitys of this universe.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Jesiatha said:
It's very cool - we had to design the leaderboards with enough room for a lot of digits since there will potentially be millions of users on them.

that's insane. You have designed the (potentially) solitaire for xbox 360. Pretty damn cool.

G-Fex

microsoft will keep taking the money on acessories, but at least they're more useful than the acessories sony put out.

Red Scarlet

I like how it says 'play an array/top-selling of original X-Box titles' with the hard drive. BC is so a joke with the 360. But the recharger and other thing are $19 for both? That's a nice surprise (still makes wireless controllers what, $70 though?).

sangreal

CosmicGroinPull said:
Why isn't MS selling DVI/HDMI cables? Are they the same as VGA outputs?

No, they are digital. VGA is analog. The 360 does not support digial video output in its current form.

ChrisReid

Spinning Plates said:
It will be interesting to see how they implement it into the games. I think the obvious starter would be for people to be represented in video when waiting in the respected games lobby.

I look forward to getting flipped off and mooned during every post-game carnage report of Halo 3.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
xexex said:
$100 for a fucking WiFi adaptor

$100 for a fucking 20 gig Harddrive

I think Microsoft is trying to make some cash back from losing over $100 on every Xbox1 they sold
Forget that...$50 for a fucking CONTROLLER.

----

Banned
VPhys said:
However, those shopping on amazon.com (and online in general) are probably more savvy and intelligent than Joanna Mom, Joe Dad, and Joe Teenager.

Sadly most 360s won't be sold online but at the Walmarts, BestBuys, and CircuitCitys of this universe.
Not to mention that the people who usually are so excited about a console that they buy it at launch tend to be more hardcore and more informed about the product.

David Cole
Chief analyst
DFC Intelligence

"The confusion issue will become more of a problem after the system has been on the market for a year and you move from core gamers to more of the mass market. I think most of the early adopters will tend to go for the high-end, my bet would be 2/3 to 1/3 in the first year, but of course that may depend on how many units of each are manufactured. Microsoft can choose to 'steer' consumers in a certain direction by what they manufacture."

Jerry Parkinson (aka Tycho)
Writer/Gamer
Penny-Arcade.com

"The lower cost "sku" isn't for the "Wal-Mart" consumer, it's for fucking retards."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
G-Fex said:
microsoft will keep taking the money on acessories, but at least they're more useful than the acessories sony put out.

Yeah, wifi usb adaptors and $40 64MB mem cards will be pretty useless on PS3 alright :p

(Sorry)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JMPovoa said:
It will be compatible with any USB pen as Memory card? That'd be nice. (i'm just assuming by your comment)

Memory sticks, SD Cards and Compact Flash are supported. Don't know about USB pens etc. as there may be driver issues there (?) You can be sure for game purposes you'll at least be able to use Mem Sticks. $40 buys you 256MB right now, who knows in 2006, so 64MB cards at $40 would be pretty redundant.

JMPovoa

The problem for Microsoft is that they want to make money off memory cards, and Sony already has a mass produced storage media (hence cheaper manufacturing costs), so i guess that's one spot where Sony could have a huge advantage in.

even if i could use mem sticks i would buy a hard drive.

I don't know about most of you but the main reason for not getting a psx, ps2, n64, or a GCN was that i had to buy mem cards. I hate those things because they fill up fast and if you're a "hardcore" gamer you'd need multiple cards, some games required a whole memory card. Hard drive is a no-brainer for me and i'd pony up $100 for one instead of $25-40 on a memory card (maybe more knowing i'd have to buy more then one).

JMPovoa

The question here is that with the PS3 it is possible that you already have a memory card for it (MS, SD, CF) even though it wasn't meant for that in the first place. It's not a HUGE plus, but it is a cool plus.

i'd still shell out for a bigger storage medium. A mem card would only get me so far.

My prediction is the HDD will out sell the mem cards buy 10:1.

Retailers will sell the HDD more because it's a bigger attachment. also its a better value in the end because if you even have to buy 3 mem cards you already exceeded the price of the HDD. I have yet to enter a household that has a PS2, PSX, GCN, or any mem card based console for that matter and has less then 3 mem cards lying around somewhere.

Seth C

JMPovoa said:
The question here is that with the PS3 it is possible that you already have a memory card for it (MS, SD, CF) even though it wasn't meant for that in the first place. It's not a HUGE plus, but it is a cool plus.

That's nice in theory, but in reality I'd be buyig one for PS3 anyway. My cell phone and PSP both take Memory Sticks, but I don't sit around and swap one out between them. That would get terribly annoying. It will be the same when I buy a PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Seth C said:
That's nice in theory, but in reality I'd be buyig one for PS3 anyway. My cell phone and PSP both take Memory Sticks, but I don't sit around and swap one out between them. That would get terribly annoying. It will be the same when I buy a PS3.

I agree, I'll probably be getting one solely for my PS3. But, it would be nice for example, if I've music on one stick for custom soundtracks on my PSP, to use that music for custom soundtracks on PS3 games too.

Depending on cost and the lineup it could also be tempting to clear some space on one of my sticks and go without a new stick, for a little while :p

Either way, the choice of memory sticks as the "memory card" for PS3 will make things very cheap comparatively. If SD and Compact Flash can be used for games, all the better. I know I've been harping on about 256MB for $40 (based on a quickie retail search, but:

ebay will apparently now get me 512MB for $16?!? (see: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Memory-Sti...539099890QQcategoryZ18870QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) There seem to be tonnes of them. Can't believe I spent €60 on one..you can get a gig for $60-$70 now too. If prices keep falling I think Sony might as well mandate a minimum size for PS3, which could be useful for devs.

edit - the above 512MB stick seems to have sky high delivery and insurance fees :lol But it seems possible to get 512MB for in and around the $40 mark, 1GB for $65-$70.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AFAIK it recognizes almost any USB storage that isn't somehow crazy or has weird drivers. That said, as we all know, it's easy to find some weird old USB flash memory that won't even mount on a PC.

What I want to know is, can I transfer my Live account without "recovering" it on the 360?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
rusty said:
Ok, I haven't been following the accessories too closely...wasn't the headset wireless at one point? When did that change?

It plugs directly into your controller (at the bottom of the controller) so if you're using a wireless controller, the only cable is between your head and the pad. Smart if you ask me. Last thing you want in a wireless setup is unnecessary extra signals. Also prevents it from being $50.

Looks like you might be able to use any conforming headset with it too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Sgt. Killjoy said:
Are the wireless controller and charge kit sold seperately?
Yes, otherwise the controllers come with a AA pack. If you buy the play and charge kit, you snap that one off and put on the rechargable pack. You could always use your own rechargable AAs, which would be cheaper than spending an additional $20.

rastex

Banned
Stinkles said:
AFAIK it recognizes almost any USB storage that isn't somehow crazy or has weird drivers. That said, as we all know, it's easy to find some weird old USB flash memory that won't even mount on a PC.

When you say it, are you referring to PS3 or 360?

I'm miffed at the re-design of the headset connectivity, because I put odwn about $80 for the Logitech wireless headset earlier this year and I haven't quite gotten $80 worth of use out of it.

I expected the controllers to be this high, but I'm still not thrilled about it. Rememeber, that I will be buying a few controllers just for the PCBs inside. I'm probably looking at upwards of $200 worth of X360 pads from the outset.

Luckily I just learned that I was totally mistaken about the difficulty of the current S-Type to hack, so the X360's will hopefully be scrape'n'solder deals like so many other PCBs. Paying $50 and then fucking one up was not something I was looking forward to; the Duke is a fat, dirty bitch.

Matlock

Banned
---- said:
Jerry Parkinson (aka Tycho)
Writer/Gamer
Penny-Arcade.com

"The lower cost "sku" isn't for the "Wal-Mart" consumer, it's for fucking retards."

Since when was "Parkinson" close to "Holkins?"

Buggy Loop

Wtf? i thought x360 would support digital output with HDMI? HD era for sure /rolleyes

99$ for 20GB HD uh?

Looks like i'll only buy 2 consoles next gen rather than 3 like i did this one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Stinkles said:
AFAIK it recognizes almost any USB storage that isn't somehow crazy or has weird drivers. That said, as we all know, it's easy to find some weird old USB flash memory that won't even mount on a PC.?

To clarify though, can you use USB or "mass storage devices" for game storage (saves, downloads etc)? Or just for music/video/photos etc? Something tells me MS has appointed themselves sole distributor of memory cards (and HDDs?) for a reason - i.e. you'll need one or the other regardless for games.

rastex

Banned
gofreak said:
To clarify though, can you use USB or "mass storage devices" for game storage (saves, downloads etc)? Or just for music/video/photos etc? Something tells me MS has appointed themselves sole distributor of memory cards (and HDDs?) for a reason - i.e. you'll need one or the other regardless for games.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and still hold out hope that USB storage and even better, network storage, will be available for game saves. If that's the case then the whole argument on storage is moot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
rastex said:
I'm choosing to be optimistic and still hold out hope that USB storage and even better, network storage, will be available for game saves. If that's the case then the whole argument on storage is moot.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I think the pricing of the mem cards/hdd suggests that won't be the case. The only way they could get away with such prices is if they're the only option in that regard. There'd be no point in putting out a 64MB card at that price if people could use a 512MB usb drive for the same price - why not just have a x360 branded one and let that be that?

edit - from the brochure it sounds like you need the mem card or HDD. Says you the mem card is required for game saves/live in the absence of a HDD, and talks about connecting other storage devices for just media playback. Here's a question: can other storage devices be plugged in and used for custom soundtracks? The brochure only mentions them in relation to the HDD.

Top Bottom