• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

So no Backwards Compatability Program reinstatement or Fable news...

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

Need to see how it is. If it AAA big budget title then probably not.
Also, if marketing helps, then shadow drop is not possible. Indy IP use probably has marketing built into the contract. And the whole point of using the IP is to bring in fans of the IP who have to hear about it.

You shadow drop stuff that is niche, that gamers will find out about without marketing - or where marketing actually doesn't help.

Robb

Gold Member
Didn’t expect Indiana Jones, looking forward to seeing what they’ve come up with. I really enjoyed the Wolfenstein games, with exception of Youngblood.

Hudo

Well, it's Machine Games. I think people just assumed (safely)?

But the rumors are that it's actually both. Which makes sense since Todd Howard has his hands in it.

I mean, true, they made some pretty solid FPS games but I thought that this is them branching out to do more.

If this turns out to be a first-person Indy, I'd be interested to see what they do with that. They at least know how to make shooting Nazis feel good.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I have no idea. I basically was just expecting a less violent Wolfenstein with puzzles and platforming.
Correction, they also made Enclave and it was a 3rd person game.

I mean, it could be similar to this -
if they'll decide to make it 1st person, but I just don't think it's the way to go.

Last edited:

twilo99

I have on good authority (NOT my uncle) that they are shutting down the console production in the next few weeks.. they simply can't take it anymore, Sony PlayStation is so strong that they've given up completely.

Soon after, they will be selling all existing studios they own for pennies on the dollar, it will be like the fire sale of the XBOX SERIES S but instead they will be selling studios, like, practically giving them away for free because of pure desperation to get away from Sony PlayStation, but little do they know Sony PlayStation is the one who will buy all of their studios, just to rub it in and make sure that Microsoft never returns to the console business, which Sony PlayStation will continue to dominate for eons to come.

This is all coming from my sources at a very high end trading firm, who are in the know... Microsoft is in BIG, BIG trouble. Stock price will crash so much they will end up on Sony's market cap or lower..

Just watch, this is all starting with the Xbox Direct next on the 18th and it will take about a year to complete.

Sega was first, now that they've taken care of Microsoft their next target is Nintendo, but they are still working out the strategy on how to take them down.. they seem to be a particularly hard nut to crack those Nintendo people, but they will go down eventually.

Last edited:
Excited to see Indy and Avowed, and hopefully a surprise or two. So, what is the current announced lineup for Xbox this year? Is there one? I thought we were now supposed to be in the phase of a big first-party game once a quarter.
I'm guessing all these shown on the 18th are 2024, obviously the summer showcase will reveal more. Flightsim 2024 and maybe another Forza Horizon if it keeps its 2 year release pattern.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, it's Machine Games. I think people just assumed (safely)?

Not necessarily a safe assumption at all. Industry is filled with studios that have pivoted and made new stuff. Guerilla went from over a decade of First Person Shooters to Horizon. The guys who made Killer Instinct 2013 had never made a fighting game before.

It looks like just Towerborne has an actual date. The rest are just generic "2024". Maybe this Direct will fill that in a little. It's a bit late to date any of the above for Q1, so that window has passed, unless they have something secret to drop on us, like they did with Hi-Fi Rush. But it makes me a bit nervous that we're going into February and not a single one of their big AAA games have a release window beyond "2024" or just nothing at all.

No pressing need to put an actual date on something that’s more than 3 months away from release, tbh.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm guessing all these shown on the 18th are 2024, obviously the summer showcase will reveal more. Flightsim 2024 and maybe another Forza Horizon if it keeps its 2 year release pattern.
It’s been known FH6 is set in Japan for a while. Expecting it in October.

Nydius

I feel like Indiana Jones is going to have a rough road ahead of it, even if it's a fantastic game. It will inevitably be compared with Uncharted and Tomb Raider, both of which basically aped the Indiana Jones concept and spent decades refining it. Plus it will be compared, for better or worse, to the recent movie misfires.

I really hope it's good but I suspect it will be subject to a lot of criticism.
More than most games would get.

The only other thing in that I'm interested in seeing is Avowed but, as I wrote in a different thread, after what happened with Redfall and Starfield last year I'm not getting enthused until I'm able to sample the game myself.

CamHostage

Good show, some titles I would very much like to see an update and deep-dive for. And I like the Developer Direct format, it's different from the megaton-oriented showcases (and leads to less grousing about what they didn't show or how big the shown was/wasn't afterwards.)

Also, to set expectations, the Xbox Developer Direct event (there was only the one, right?) does not seem to be designed to provide "surprises" as in debuting games you totally were not expecting, although there was one last year... The Developer Direct seems to go by its rundown, which they give in advance; the only surprise I can see from last year was the release of Hi-Fi Rush, which was announced on that day (and also stealth-released that day.) The rundown did have all the developers listed ("Arkane Austin, Mojang Studios, Turn 10 Studios, and ZeniMax Online Studios"), but TangoWorks was part of the ZeniMax set (they did ESO and Hi-Fi Rush,) and the wording of their before-show rundown could have been interpreted as "only-ESO" or "ESO+more", and in a nice surprise, it was the latter that time. This show's rundown is more specific about what will be shown and doesn't have that loophole (albeit there's nothing to say that MS couldn't add something not pre-listed.)

Last edited:
It’s been known FH6 is set in Japan for a while. Expecting it in October.
Thought that was only a rumor? I'm getting to the point now where I feel the Forza Horizon template has gone as far as it can go. Not sure 2 years is long enough for them to make it fresh and interesting again.

TheShocker

I swear to god. If we get one more Hellblade 2 feature without a hard release date, I’m going to shit myself. I’m not even that excited for the game. I’m just sick of seeing videos about the making of.

Ozriel

M$FT
I feel like Indiana Jones is going to have a rough road ahead of it, even if it's a fantastic game. It will inevitably be compared with Uncharted and Tomb Raider, both of which basically aped the Indiana Jones concept and spent decades refining it. Plus it will be compared, for better or worse, to the recent movie misfires.

I really hope it's good but I suspect it will be subject to a lot of criticism.
More than most games would get.

The last Uncharted game was nearly 7 years ago and nobody’s playing it now. The last Tomb Raider game had a 75% MC. Nobody’s holding it up as a refinement of the genre.

Bro, nobody’s comparing a game to the movies.

Fredrik

FH6 (Japan) is supposed to be this year too. Probably a summer reveal and traditional October release.
oh man that would be awesome, but I won’t believe until I see them announce it. Favorite racing IP at this point for me, I’m so over simulators, hoping they go wild with nitros or something this time

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This is a make or break event for Avowed. They layed an egg with the first reveal. We need a deep dive into combat and RPG elements. The game also needs to be using Lumen and Nanite. If Robocop is using both then there is no excuse for Avowed not to.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I have on good authority (NOT my uncle) that they are shutting down the console production in the next few weeks.. they simply can't take it anymore, Sony PlayStation is so strong that they've given up completely.

Soon after, they will be selling all existing studios they own for pennies on the dollar, it will be like the fire sale of the XBOX SERIES S but instead they will be selling studios, like, practically giving them away for free because of pure desperation to get away from Sony PlayStation, but little do they know Sony PlayStation is the one who will buy all of their studios, just to rub it in and make sure that Microsoft never returns to the console business, which Sony PlayStation will continue to dominate for eons to come.

This is all coming from my sources at a very high end trading firm, who are in the know... Microsoft is in BIG, BIG trouble. Stock price will crash so much they will end up on Sony's market cap or lower..

Just watch, this is all starting with the Xbox Direct next on the 18th and it will take about a year to complete.

Sega was first, now that they've taken care of Microsoft their next target is Nintendo, but they are still working out the strategy on how to take them down.. they seem to be a particularly hard nut to crack those Nintendo people, but they will go down eventually.
I hear that the Board Members at Microsoft are eagerly waiting for the numbers to drop for how many physical copies of games were sold in the UK for Jan. This is what is going to make or break if Xbox and ultimately GamePass is going to have a future in the games industry.

I just spoke to King Charles and boy the numbers are not good (for Xbox).

twilo99

I hear that the Board Members at Microsoft are eagerly waiting for the numbers to drop for how many physical copies of games were sold in the UK for Jan. This is what is going to make or break if Xbox and ultimately GamePass is going to have a future in the games industry.

I just spoke to King Charles and boy the numbers are not good (for Xbox).

I heard the exact same thing from sources! Those physical copies sold in the United Kingdom are essential for the confidence of their shareholders so they are all freaking out over there on what's going to happen with all of that. I'm hearing if they come under their target, that will be the first piece of the domino falling, and it will come crashing down after that.

Could you ask his Majesty if he is a Sony PlayStation kinda of royalty or PC master race? I'm really curious.

RAIDEN1

Hopefully the Indy game will be better than the latest movie, but it will be a tall-order if it is better than Fate of Atlantis, that game could have been an Indy movie built in the 90s...instead of just been restricted to an Amiga/PC game

Last edited:

nick776

Thought that was only a rumor? I'm getting to the point now where I feel the Forza Horizon template has gone as far as it can go. Not sure 2 years is long enough for them to make it fresh and interesting again.
This fall FH5 will be THREE years old, not two.

Top Bottom