• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Namikaze

I always get screwed over when it comes to deals. I just bought another one like a week or two ago after returning my original Pro controller that was broken out of the box and now it comes with a free game that I really want..

me0wish

I'm very disappointed by the controller, if you hold the analog to the left and then leave it, as it moves to the center it will go slightly to the right, just enough to register unintentional right.

I've been playing SF5 and Rivals of Aether to test it, and I'm very disappointed that this 150$ "perfect" controller has such a stupid flaw. I doubt it's an issue with my controller only, as both sticks work like that, I'd appriciate it if someone can test it in the app.

Sequiel

Banned
the app is only for win 10/xbox so you have to make the changes on one of those devices. the changes are stored in the controller itself so they will be reflected on windows 7

Thanks but damn, this PoS Windows Store is giving me constant "Error 0x80240438" when I try to download the app. Been searching for it and found this error is going way back to 2013 and Windows 8 and none of the proposed solutions work for me... typical M$ bull$hit.

Is there any other way to get this damn app without using this $tupid Windows Store?

Bsigg12

Thanks but damn, this PoS Windows Store is giving me constant "Error 0x80240438" when I try to download the app. Been searching for it and found this error is going way back to 2013 and Windows 8 and none of the proposed solutions work for me... typical M$ bull$hit.

Is there any other way to get this damn app without using this $tupid Windows Store?

I see you're new here.

Drain You

I'm very disappointed by the controller, if you hold the analog to the left and then leave it, as it moves to the center it will go slightly to the right, just enough to register unintentional right.

I've been playing SF5 and Rivals of Aether to test it, and I'm very disappointed that this 150$ "perfect" controller has such a stupid flaw. I doubt it's an issue with my controller only, as both sticks work like that, I'd appriciate it if someone can test it in the app.

I just gave this a test out of curiosity. I'm not blaming you for this but I think o realize why I've never noticed this when I play. If I hold a stick all the way left and then just take my thumb off about 10% of the time it does "bounce" back to the center and registers as going right. I never actually take my thumbs fully off the sticks so it's a non issue personally.

There was a guy on slickdeals early saying that a Microsoft rep said the Microsoft Store could have the Elite Controller for 89.99 on the 26th. I picked up one from Best Buy and will keep my fingers crossed for the MS sale. If they do, Discover Price Protection + 10% cash back + profit from Halo 5 would be NICE.

Pepiope

There was a guy on slickdeals early saying that a Microsoft rep said the Microsoft Store could have the Elite Controller for 89.99 on the 26th. I picked up one from Best Buy and will keep my fingers crossed for the MS sale. If they do, Discover Price Protection + 10% cash back + profit from Halo 5 would be NICE.
I don't know. Why would they drop the price of an item that has been consistently sold out?

Would be nice.

me0wish

I just gave this a test out of curiosity. I'm not blaming you for this but I think o realize why I've never noticed this when I play. If I hold a stick all the way left and then just take my thumb off about 10% of the time it does "bounce" back to the center and registers as going right. I never actually take my thumbs fully off the sticks so it's a non issue personally.

Playing Rivals of Aether requires removing my thumb from the stick, it's not even an option for me, no wonder why I failed to execute anything in SF5. Sigh, I was hoping it's an issue with just my controller so I can just get mine replaced, hopefully this gains more attention and gets fixed eventually as I'd love a properly functioning elite controller.

I'm super meticulous when it comes to this controller also. I basically only use it for games where I will benefit from it. I also keep it in the case 100% of the time it's not being used. So far so good for me.

Thanks for that info. I picked one up today with the Halo 5 deal, so I'll give it a test run and see how I like it.

Figure I can get $30-$35 for Halo so that'll make the controller about $115

I hope his info right I'm going to hold off on the Best Buy deal in hopes that it's true. Saving a few bucks this season will help.

Classy teen angst.

I can't find this controller anywhere.

BashNasty

At long last I got my hands on one of these beautiful controllers. Though, actually, I got my hands on two.

I ordered one from Best Buy a couple days ago while they were running the Controller + Halo 5 bundle. Even though I already own Halo 5, that seemed like an awesome deal. Fast forward to today and I'm at Best Buy picking up some gifts. While looking around the gaming section, I saw two elite controllers sitting on the shelf. Being the crazy and impatient person that I am, and given that I didn't think the controller I'd ordered was going to arrive until tomorrow, I bought one. Upon arriving home, I saw my package had gotten here quicker than expected and suddenly I found myself awash in high end goodness.

The question is: should I keep them both or return one? I can certainly afford it, but at the same time I shouldn't be spending money for no good reason. As for the usefulness of having two elites around the house, I have a gaming PC upstairs and my Xbox One downstairs. I use both fairly frequently. I could obviously switch the controllers around depending on what machine I'm using, but it could be nice to have a dedicated elite for both. Decisions...

Anyway, I'm just happy to finally get to use this thing. It really does feel as wonderful as everyone says, and I can already tell the paddles and hair triggers are gonna be awesome in a lot of situations.

SimplexPL

I admit that I did not read whole 40 pages of posts in this thread, but if anyone has problems with getting the controller to work under windows 7, I found the solution and posted it on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsuppor...e_controller_not_working_on_windows_7/cxrl4r1

This applied to both elite gamepad and the new revision of the standard gamepad ( the one with improved bumpers and audio port).

You need the drivers for the original Xbox One Pad from June 2014. Get them here and install: http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx64
After you connect the Elite Controller and it is an "unknown device", you have to install the drivers manually ("Browse my computer for driver software">"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" - > then you got a list "Select your device's type from the list below" and you need to to find "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" on that list and select it.

In theory, when you connect the gamepad it should download the correct drivers from Windows Update and just work - but this did not happen for many people. Some of them upgraded to Win10 just to get the elite pad working. Luckily that is not necessary.

RoKKeR

Just got mine in the mail... Good God is this thing nice. Going to have to do some experimenting to find the setup I like the most.

I got mine yesterday. There's something loose inside the controller (rattles). Also when pressing L3 it sticks down and creates problems.

Really disappointed.

Sorry to hear that. I have the same kind of luck.

Anyone else who've picked it up recently: Have you noticed a ticking noise when moving the joystick(s)?

CO_Andy

Holy smokes is the Elite XB1 Controller absolutely terrible for Street Fighter. The dpad doesn't seem to be able to register left rolling motions. It's so bad i can do a fireball like 10% of the time. Haven't been able to pull a super on the left side :/

Works okay with right rolling motions. Avoid this controller if you plan to play SF. Everything else about the controller is absolutely fantastic (feel of the buttons, sticks, yadda yadda).

Vitacat

Holy smokes is the Elite XB1 Controller absolutely terrible for Street Fighter. The dpad doesn't seem to be able to register left rolling motions. It's so bad i can do a fireball like 10% of the time. Haven't been able to pull a super on the left side :/

Works okay with right rolling motions. Avoid this controller if you plan to play SF. Everything else about the controller is absolutely fantastic (feel of the buttons, sticks, yadda yadda).

That's odd. I used mine with KI and had no problem with qc moves either side.

You're using the disc, right? Dpad is not good for fighters. The disc is great.

Also, Street Fighter? Are you playing on PC, or using an adapter to another console?

CO_Andy

That's odd. I used mine with KI and had no problem with qc moves either side.

You're using the disc, right? Dpad is not good for fighters. The disc is great.

Also, Street Fighter? Are you playing on PC, or using an adapter to another console?
PC. Tried two different emulators, two different SF games (SF2 and Alpha 3), two different computers, and all three dpad modes. Don't have an XB1 for testing.

gnexus

I got mine yesterday. There's something loose inside the controller (rattles). Also when pressing L3 it sticks down and creates problems.

Really disappointed.

Yeah, either get an exchange at the retailer if you can, or just open up a service request with Microsoft. I actually just got my replacement from Microsoft a few days ago. My original Elite pad had a trigger that would stick every time. Things are much better now with the replacement. $150 is a lot of money to spend on something that has abnormal issues with it.

_Clash_

The best thing about the disc for me is that it takes less force to hit directions than the cross. I tested Gradius with both and the cross fatigued my thumb pretty quickly. I think it's because the disc has raised edges, which gives you more leverage. The disc is much more comfortable for rolling motions too since it doesn't have hard edges to catch your thumb on. I agree that the cross is easier to feel directions on, but you get used to the disc's position after awhile and can be about as precise with it.

so you're telling me it's amazing?

HYPE

Kudo

I got my replacement Elite today, but they just sent a shell of an Elite wrapped in pink bubblewrap in a small box. I'm not happy.

Uh what, was yours inside warranty?
They replaced it with used controller? What the..
Really interested in the controller but reading stuff like this makes me wonder..

Uh what, was yours inside warranty?
They replaced it with used controller? What the..
Really interested in the controller but reading stuff like this makes me wonder..

I have no idea if it's used. It's just the shell of an Elite Controller (without parts, which I was told to take off of mine before sending) wrapped in pink bubblewrap and in a small box. It was definitely in warranty, though, as the original one was sent to me in October.

I haven't showered (as per my OCD) so I haven't opened it up fully and checked it out, but it's not what I was told to expect.

Magwik

Banned
The day after I caved and bought an Elite controller off a scalper for my brother I get a ton of alerts from NowInStock that they were being sold at various online locations. Oh well, I'll just consider it a convenience fee of an extra $50.

Vitacat

I have no idea if it's used. It's just the shell of an Elite Controller (without parts, which I was told to take off of mine before sending) wrapped in pink bubblewrap and in a small box. It was definitely in warranty, though, as the original one was sent to me in October.

I haven't showered (as per my OCD) so I haven't opened it up fully and checked it out, but it's not what I was told to expect.

Well, not too surprising considering the retail stock has been selling so fast. Maybe they just don't have full retail boxed units in the replacement department.

Did you only send back the controller itself, and kept everything else? If so, seems like a reasonable replacement.

Try it out and see if it's good. I have 2 Elites now and both are perfect. I suspect real defects are rare.

Kudo

Well, not too surprising considering the retail stock has been selling so fast. Maybe they just don't have full retail boxed units in the replacement department.

Did you only send back the controller itself, and kept everything else? If so, seems like a reasonable replacement.

Try it out and see if it's good. I have 2 Elites now and both are perfect. I suspect real defects are rare.

I wouldn't accept used controller as replacement, even if it works. You pay premium for this and they send you old stock?
I'd understand if its the same controller you sent them and they fixed it, other than that just no.
All controllers I've had problems with have been replaced with new one in the past, this if anything should be too as it's the top tier you can get.

I was told to just send the skeleton of the controller, so I pulled the d-pad disc, two joysticks and the paddles off and put it in a shipping box. Then I sent it away on Saturday.

But I was told that it would be a new, in box one, and when I got a replacement black controller recently that's what it was. It was new in box.

I wouldn't accept used controller as replacement, even if it works. You pay premium for this and they send you old stock?
I'd understand if its the same controller you sent them and they fixed it, other than that just no.
All controllers I've had problems with have been replaced with new one in the past, this if anything should be too as it's the top tier you can get.

They've told me that it's supposed to be new, even if it was shipped that way. But it's bothering me because it wasn't terribly secure during shipping and it's not what I expected.

Plus, my OCD is running rampant.

If it's not in a sealed box, how do I KNOW it's new?

Vitacat

He said he doesn't know if it's used. That's an assumption. That's why I say to at least look at it and try it out.

Baleoce

Really tempted to get this. I'm stalking the Microsoft UK Store to try and get that £120 price, but I don't think I'm going to be successful. Might have to bite at £140.

Kudo

They've told me that it's supposed to be new, even if it was shipped that way. But it's bothering me because it wasn't terribly secure during shipping and it's not what I expected.

Plus, my OCD is running rampant.

If it's not in a sealed box, how do I KNOW it's new?

He said he doesn't know if it's used. That's an assumption. That's why I say to at least look at it and try it out.

True enough, but as it didn't came with the retail box one would assume it's not new even if it looks like one.
Each to their own, maybe their stock situation for these is really that bad that they send new replacements straight from the manufacturing line.

Vitacat

True enough, but as it didn't came with the retail box one would assume it's not new even if it looks like one.
Each to their own, maybe their stock situation for these is really that bad that they send new replacements straight from the manufacturing line.

It's not uncommon for replacements to be loose sometimes. It depends on how the distribution chain is setup. But I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a pristine new replacement -- for a $150 controller absolutely!

I just posted about this nightmare in a new thread. TL;DR is that support says this is normal, but that it is not 'new.' They call it new, but it's a controller that engineers put together from an amalgamation of parts.

Apparently the internals should be new, but not the external shell.

Bullshit.

Top Bottom