• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

BraXzy

Just opened my Elite Controller, holy crap this thing feels good to hold. At my Dads so can't try it out on the box yet. The build quality is way way way above the OG one.

Gonna take awhile to get used to the paddles, I've now realised I clench the controller when I pull the triggers.

It felt fine build wise, no immediate fault I could see. That fault thread has me worried though. If nothing is rattling should I be good?

Yeah, either get an exchange at the retailer if you can, or just open up a service request with Microsoft. I actually just got my replacement from Microsoft a few days ago. My original Elite pad had a trigger that would stick every time. Things are much better now with the replacement. $150 is a lot of money to spend on something that has abnormal issues with it.
About how long did the repair process take?

BashNasty

Perhaps, but it's not what I was told it would be.

I was told that all accessory replacements are brand new.

Right, but elite controllers are hard to find right now, you got yours for free, and if it's fixed it's fixed. It's not as though they would have done an incompetent job.

I realize you have OCD, and that's a huge bummer as it probably makes things like that hard to accept, but try to realize you were very lucky to get the controller for free in the first place, and now it works great, and that's awesome!

Vitacat

It's sad that a small number of vocal people have given some the impression that Elites are problematic with defects.

As an owner of two with zero problems and no defects, these are amazing controllers and very well made.

Don't only pay attention to the complaints.

It's sad that a small number of vocal people have given some the impression that Elites are problematic with defects.

As an owner of two with zero problems and no defects, these are amazing controllers and very well made.

Don't only pay attention to the complaints.

I'm not trying to. Everything has a defect rate, unfortunately and as much as I hate that as a consumer, and I'm sure that almost all of the sold Elites are perfectly fine.

All I'm doing is trying to get a new replacement like promised. I'm not trying to talk people out of buying the controller, and that was never my plan or intended subtext.

Vitacat

OCDChewie, I'm not singling you out. I said a small number of people. That post is directed at those who said they are worried about buying one.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Hopefully this is the right place to ask so here it goes. I bought my brother an Elite and I noticed that the upper left paddle isn't as snug as the others. There's not much resistance when pressing it. Now I've seen on Reddit that some others had had this issue. I tried searching the thread, but mobile isn't very search friendly for me.

Is this paddle anything to be worried about or is it somewhat common?

BraXzy

During my brief time with it before, I realised my muscle memory is gonna take awhile to adjust. I kept pressing a paddle to jump, then hitting a ledge and instinctively pressing A to clamber :L

One thing that helped a lot for me, I was originally using the big paddles. I flipped them upside down pointing upwards like people suggest but still had issues with accidental taps/awkward reach so I swapped in the shorter paddles and slotted them in the top slots and it felt really good!

Jarmel

Banned
There was a guy on slickdeals early saying that a Microsoft rep said the Microsoft Store could have the Elite Controller for 89.99 on the 26th. I picked up one from Best Buy and will keep my fingers crossed for the MS sale. If they do, Discover Price Protection + 10% cash back + profit from Halo 5 would be NICE.

Has there been anything more about this?

_Clash_

Oh damn.

This thing is full materialistic joy. Perfect gift. It's a bit like a bandaid, just buy one and don't think about it and just enjoy it. I am a bit of a controller geek to boot.

I do think I will rock the paddles for games like Overwatch and really dig them too.

9/10.

Really wanting to pick one of these up, and thanks to Christmas I have the money to spare. Amazon has them available to order right now, but still says out of stock. Anyone know if they come in stock often enough that I wouldn't be waiting forever to get one? Wondering if I should just wait until a site actually has some in stock.

edit: Ordered one. I guess I can just cancel the order if I see them in stock somewhere else, and since they don't charge until it's in stock, it's no big deal.

this is what Amazon says now:

Note on Availability:
Due to high customer demand, orders shipped from and sold by Amazon.com placed now are unlikely to be delivered until Spring 2016. Order now and we'll notify you by email when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. Orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they are received.

I ordered December 5th and still havent received mine.

Asked at Bestbuy and was told I could get one by January 5th if I ordered today.

Pepiope

Really wanting to pick one of these up, and thanks to Christmas I have the money to spare. Amazon has them available to order right now, but still says out of stock. Anyone know if they come in stock often enough that I wouldn't be waiting forever to get one? Wondering if I should just wait until a site actually has some in stock.

edit: Ordered one. I guess I can just cancel the order if I see them in stock somewhere else, and since they don't charge until it's in stock, it's no big deal.
I think Amazon doesn't get them in stock for another few months. I'd sign up for an alert on NowInStock and then buy from wherever gets it in stock first.

I think Amazon doesn't get them in stock for another few months. I'd sign up for an alert on NowInStock and then buy from wherever gets it in stock first.

Yeah I've got alert setup. I'm gonna keep the Amazon order just in case nothing comes up before then. I really hope I don't have to wait that long though.

Does Gamestop not show store availability on their site? I thought maybe since I live in a very rural area, they might have one, but the site doesn't show anything about store stock.

Does Gamestop not show store availability on their site? I thought maybe since I live in a very rural area, they might have one, but the site doesn't show anything about store stock.

So I was able to get mine a couple weeks ago by just walking into my local Gamestop.

I just asked if they had them in, they said nope.

But I could order one directly from them and they shipped it from their Warehousein Louisville, KY to my house. 2-day shipping.

This controller is so amazing.

I just tried to order one online using some Christmas money. There were 7 in stock, then 4 when I checked back a minute or two later.

I put one in my cart, proceeded to check out and the site continued to glitch. I couldn't properly order one and they sold out.

That figures

Pepiope

Yeah I've got alert setup. I'm gonna keep the Amazon order just in case nothing comes up before then. I really hope I don't have to wait that long though.

Well GameStop does have the two bundles that include either Halo or the charging stand, but not the standalone controller.

There is a way to check in store availability too. I did that when I was tried looking for it online last week, but the closest store with it in stock was about 70 miles away. That option isn't on their product page anymore, so I'd assume it's an error or it's entirely out of stock. I'd go in to a store and just ask them, they'd be able to tell you the closest location with it in stock.

Well GameStop does have the two bundles that include either Halo or the charging stand, but not the standalone controller.

There is a way to check in store availability too. I did that when I was tried looking for it online last week, but the closest store with it in stock was about 70 miles away. That option isn't on their product page anymore, so I'd assume it's an error or it's entirely out of stock. I'd go in to a store and just ask them, they'd be able to tell you the closest location with it in stock.

I wouldn't count on those in store availability check. One just showed a green light as meaning a store has lots of them, but when I called they said they're sold out everywhere.

Have anyone tried using the controller on the PS4 via Cronus?

Yes, works great. I just still need to add a code to use a button as the touchpad button for games that need it.

You have to use it wired correct? No wireless play?

Hooooow? What do I need to buy?

So here's the thing: the Cronus works but you have to do all that authentication garbage and we've seen documented disputes on the Cronus being a ripoff of the person who made it not being paid, etc. That and the past history of (potentially) frying USB ports and causing interference, etc.

I can personally vouch for the Brook Accessories usb adapter to do this, without interference and it authenticates with the system properly so no 8 minute timeout. I got one for $45 from focusattack.com, upgraded its firmware and haven't had any problems using my Elite on my PS4.

I'm not a shill, I swear. I just really like this thing, plus they've got a rep on shoryuken.com forums about this and some of their other stuff, so they've been taking feedback from the community such as potentially swapping the touchpad button to the Options button instead of L3+R3.

I have 125$ in Best Buy gift cards itching to be spent on this. Which sucks cause it was in stock just the day a couple days ago. Hope the get a new shipment soon.

Darknight

Need some advice. Basically the CronusMax thread is dead. I recently got an Elite for my PS4/PC and need to get this usb device!!! Either get it stand alone or from the bundle below. I feel like getting the fight stick would be cool to have for fight games or maybe for PC use down the line.

See this link: http://www.play-asia.com/street-fighter-x-tekken-arcade-fightstick-pro-tournament-edition/13/704krj

Its a Tekken Fight stick with the CronusMax for $80. I dont know about shipping yet.

Anyways is this bundle worth it?? Did anyone purchase this bundle? Any advice would be appreciate it!!

M_to_P

Need some advice. Basically the CronusMax thread is dead. I recently got an Elite for my PS4/PC and need to get this usb device!!! Either get it stand alone or from the bundle below. I feel like getting the fight stick would be cool to have for fight games or maybe for PC use down the line.

See this link: http://www.play-asia.com/street-fighter-x-tekken-arcade-fightstick-pro-tournament-edition/13/704krj

Its a Tekken Fight stick with the CronusMax for $80. I dont know about shipping yet.

Anyways is this bundle worth it?? Did anyone purchase this bundle? Any advice would be appreciate it!!

Personally I think it's worth it, but i'm a fan of fighting games and i'm searching for a new stick. I'd say; go for it!

Darknight

Personally I think it's worth it, but i'm a fan of fighting games and i'm searching for a new stick. I'd say; go for it!

I just checked shipping to NY is $60 the cheapest....guess Im going to order just the Cronus thing locally. :( Sounded like a cool deal.

If you're genuinely wanting a stick the bundle s worth it for the stick alone. If you're mainly wanting the ability to use your Elite controller on PS4 you'd be better served (and cheaper) to get a Brook adapter from somewhere like focusattack. It works without the timeout and is cheaper than the Cronus.

Darknight

If you're genuinely wanting a stick the bundle s worth it for the stick alone. If you're mainly wanting the ability to use your Elite controller on PS4 you'd be better served (and cheaper) to get a Brook adapter from somewhere like focusattack. It works without the timeout and is cheaper than the Cronus.

Yea I only mainly need it for PS4 use with Elite control. Got any links? Is there more than one alternative? Thanx.

I just checked shipping to NY is $60 the cheapest....guess Im going to order just the Cronus thing locally. :( Sounded like a cool deal.

Yea I only mainly need it for PS4 use with Elite control. Got any links? Is there more than one alternative? Thanx.

http://www.focusattack.com/brands/Brook.html

The green one there does it. Sadly it only supports wired connection (hopefully just for now) and you have to pair the controller with the Xone again to use it there again (this is a MS thing, though) but it absolutely works 100% perfectly. Since the controller settings (like for the paddles, sticks, etc) are on the controller it holds onto that setup, too. I've been using it for Destiny on both systems since I got it and it works perfectly.

this is what Amazon says now:

Note on Availability:
Due to high customer demand, orders shipped from and sold by Amazon.com placed now are unlikely to be delivered until Spring 2016. Order now and we'll notify you by email when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. Orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they are received.

I ordered December 5th and still havent received mine.

Asked at Bestbuy and was told I could get one by January 5th if I ordered today.

I had no idea best buy could do that. Did they say they needed payment up front? I have almost $200 in gift cards there and would love to get one on order if possible.

Vitacat

So here's the thing: the Cronus works but you have to do all that authentication garbage and we've seen documented disputes on the Cronus being a ripoff of the person who made it not being paid, etc. That and the past history of (potentially) frying USB ports and causing interference, etc.

I can personally vouch for the Brook Accessories usb adapter to do this, without interference and it authenticates with the system properly so no 8 minute timeout. I got one for $45 from focusattack.com, upgraded its firmware and haven't had any problems using my Elite on my PS4.

I'm not a shill, I swear. I just really like this thing, plus they've got a rep on shoryuken.com forums about this and some of their other stuff, so they've been taking feedback from the community such as potentially swapping the touchpad button to the Options button instead of L3+R3.

Err... not sure what you're talking about but the CronusMax Plus has no 8 minute timeouts. I suspect you may be thinking of some older version of the CronusMax. Never heard of USB ports frying or interference. No offense but you may be repeating unfounded rumors.

All I know is mine does everything claimed, and I bought in my local Bestbuy. It was $50 (it was on sale the other week) and includes multiple accessories in the box, even a bluetooth USB for wireless controls.

Unlike the Brooks, which I have read about and have seen people have problems with it in the Shoryuken thread, the Cronus does all sorts of controller-console matches whereas you would need multiple Brooks to match it.

I also read that Sony blocked the Brooks from working at one point, probably because Brooks is implementing some sort of pirate authentication code or something. That means they (and perhaps MS as well) may be able to do it again. With the CronusMax you're using an authentic controller for authentication, so that's not an issue.

Vitacat

I like the Brooks adapters better too, they don't need an original DualShock 4 plugged in to work

I am curious to try one.

But again, what you mention is also a potential deficit. They're not authentic controls and can be potentially blocked from working, as was done in the past from what I read on Shoryuken. The CronusMax solution may not be as elegant but it's foolproof.

C-Sword

I am curious to try one.

But again, what you mention is also a potential deficit. They're not authentic controls and can be potentially blocked from working, as was done in the past from what I read on Shoryuken. The CronusMax solution may not be as elegant but it's foolproof.

It never got blocked, the 3.11 update firmware on the PS4 caused a 8 min timeout, it got fixed within 2 days.

Just picked up one of these beauts, can't test till tomorrow....How well do the paddles work for plasma grenades in Halo?

i use the preset in the app, and it works great. right top paddle = jump, right bottom paddle = burst. left paddles = change grenade types

this is all for halo 5. in mcc i use top right paddle for jump and bottom right paddle for grenade. works great

Top Bottom