• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY23 Q4 gaming revenue increased 1% year-over-year (HW down 13%)

Astray

Gold Member
These are horrible numbers, but it feels like we say that every quarter now with this gaming business of theirs.

I wonder how internal meetings are going inside MS right now.

Anyone else feel a bit sad that we don’t even get to laugh at the mental gymnasts trying to ‘well ackshually’ explain away Xbox’s poor figures anymore?

It’s as if they are all so beaten down that they can’t even take joy from lying anymore.
The script always takes a few days to run, it's like a phone OTA update, not everyone gets it at the same time.

Would it be shocking at all if ps plus premium numbers dwarfed game pass ultimate numbers? Even with the worse service it would shock me if it wasn’t close.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The fact that Microsoft touted Gamepass subscriber numbers as a measurement of success previously and is no longer sharing the number is telling. It's been 18 months since numbers were shared, and instead they spoke about gamepass engagement.

It is almost certain that the console is mostly likely sold/shipped less than the XB1 launched aligned is very poor. I think we can comfortably say that Redfall and Minecraft Legends didn't meet there financial expectations.

Starfield won't be enough to stop the decline in hardware revenue/unit figure for Microsoft/Xbox next quarter.
Exactly this! 💯

They stopped sharing console sales because "console sales do not matter," and it's all about "software sales," no matter if it's from console or PC.
Then they stopped sharing software sales because "software sales do not matter," and it's all about "Game Pass subscribers."
Now it has been 554 days since they last shared Game Pass numbers.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bravo Tv GIF by Slice

Pitiful. Layoffs incoming.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Exactly this! 💯

They stopped sharing console sales because "console sales do not matter," and it's all about "software sales," no matter if it's from console or PC.
Then they stopped sharing software sales because "software sales do not matter," and it's all about "Game Pass subscribers."
Last official numbers were 25 million as I recall. I also seem to recall they were supposed to be at 30 million in March.... of last year. What happened?

damidu

They should fire phill and hire again what ever person was in charge of Xbox in the first years of the 360.
360 was lightning in bottle sort of thing for them, with sony messing so bad to release a weaker console, a year later, for $100 more.
good luck with a repeat of that.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

360 was lightning in bottle sort of thing for them, with sony messing so bad to release a weaker console a year later for $100 more.
good luck for a repeat of that.

I mean they don't need to repeat, just release good games again, that era they had Halo 3 and Reach, Gears 1 2 and 3, Bioshock exclusive, Alan Wake, etc...they knew how to manage their money and studios.

Unknown?

Listen the PlayStation brand is so strong that they could have released a box that didn’t turn on and still sold like 25 million. It is crazy to me that day and date is killing them this much? Do the PC and Console market overlap that much? I would imagine someone that has a powerful enough PC that they game on PC wouldn’t want a console to begin with, even if they were forced to buy a console for exclusivity they wouldn’t buy 3rd party from the store anyway, it would just be a first party machine….does that really help Microsoft? The people that only buy console still would view a starfield as an exclusive, it being on PC wouldn’t mean anything to them.

But seemingly it does make a difference I guess. Is it just the idea of “this isn’t a true exclusive” is that enough to stop someone from buying a console?
Why? If they can afford a top of the line PC, a console would be like nothing to them. Gamers with money don't need to pick and choose, they just get what they want.

The Xbox is more profitable than it has ever been in the 360 era. It sadness me that a person with SEGA in their title is such a SONY troll
So you must be a shareholder?

Last edited:
So you must be a shareholder?

Just the facts mate. In the 360 era, XBox couldn't even talk of a profit of any kind until the quarter that Halo 3 was released and then MS had to spend over 1 $billion to fix the TROD issue.
In the One and Series era it's been mainly profits each quarter.

Zheph

True fans. The Xbox was the DC2 in every sense of the word, right down to losing millions/billions *rollseyes*
You want competition now but when Playstation gave competition to Sega back in the days...

Can't admit Sega tanked itself so you created your own story

The DC is my favourite console by the way

Last edited:
You want competition now but when Playstation gave competition to Sega back in the days...

Can't admit Sega tanked itself so you created your own story

The DC is my favourite console by the way
You mean when SONY PS2 outsold the Xbox, GameCube and Dreamcast combined by a massive amount, was able to top of the tree for the number of In-Hosue studios and was having 3rd parties make endless exclusives for the system.

* I like the days of now to be honest. Where Xbox now has the most In-House studios and is able to outbid and outspend SONY

* Maybe not be entirely true ....

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The Xbox is more profitable than it has ever been in the 360 era. It sadness me that a person with SEGA in their title is such a SONY troll
Just the facts mate. In the 360 era, XBox couldn't even talk of a profit of any kind until the quarter that Halo 3 was released and then MS had to spend over 1 $billion to fix the TROD issue.
Can you share data to back up your "facts?"

gokurho

Exactly this! 💯

Wait! Wait! Wait!😡
"Gamepass subscribers" is not important at all.
The most important thing is "engagement" obviously🤗

Astray

Gold Member
I distinctly remember a discussion I had with my uncle right as this gen was beginning, he was about to buy his 3 sons their 1st console, and his question was "should I buy a PS5?".

I tried to talk to him about Gamepass + Series S being potentially a better value for his sons so he doesn't have to worry about buying them new games all the time (games are expensive), his response was basically "dude please it's gotta be PS5" and he went to get a PS5 the next day, got it in a bundle with Miles Morales and Demon's souls (which I traded him for Sackboy). Keep in mind that this is a guy whose last seriously-played console was the 3DO probably (Road Rash and Need For Speed were the fucking bomb, as was SSF2 Turbo). He's not some console warrior, he's not even an active gamer anymore, he's the dictionary definition of "normie", and that's his reaction.

With each quarter, it genuinely feels like this brand is a zombie that's only still going because it's being constantly pumped up by some otherworldly spell, there's no organic appeal or customer base for it anymore, no one will listen to its marketing anymore, network effects are completely against it too, and they don't have any actual good will or good 1P content that can claw back market share. It only lives because the current strategy says it has to live and the company is able to feed $$$ to said current strategy.

I think it's only a matter of time until the Xbox console business is completely gone. I'm glad I got my Series X, but I barely turn it on at all (my wife seems to like Ori so maybe she will play it there? other than that who knows?).

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, it took Xbox until 2007 to report its 1st profit in the console space and 2 years into the 360 era
Keep it coming
Can you read?

Your link doesn't have anything to back up your claim that Xbox in 2023 is now more profitable than X360. Your article is from 2007.

Do you have anything to share that backs up your claim about Xbox being more profitable in 2023 than X360 generation? Or was that just an air fart?

Can you read?

Your link doesn't have anything to back up your claim that Xbox in 2023 is now more profitable than X360. Your article is from 2007.

Do you have anything to share that backs up your claim about Xbox being more profitable in 2023 than X360 generation? Or was that just an air fart?
Can you?. It took 2 years for Xbox Division to post any sort of profit for the 360 and then XBox had to spend a billion to fix the console
Now can you point me to any time the Xbox division posted a loss in the One Era and at least in the 1st 2 years of the Series consoles Xbox posted profits with 2020 being one of Xbox best years if not the best for profits?

Unless you prove otherwise...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can you?. It took 2 years for Xbox Division to post any sort of profit for the 360 and then XBox had to spend a billion to fix the console
Now can you point me to any time the Xbox division posted a loss in the One Era and at least in the 1st 2 years of the Series consoles Xbox posted profits with 2020 being one of Xbox best years if not the best for profits?

I didn't claim anything; you did. It's on you to provide sources.

To recap ... You said "Xbox is now profitable than X360" gen and "it's been mainly profits each quarter"

I'm still waiting for data that backs up your claim. Take a break from calling others "troll" and share the sources and numbers.

PeteBull

I suspect Starfield will urge many people still on Xbox One (X) to finally upgrade to Series X|S.
Or they build gaming pc to play starfield in 60fps(many probably already did), personally i love bethesda rpgs, first time i played it was morrowing on og xbox, spent easily 500h in there and loved all of it, from then on i played fallout 3/4/vegas and ofc skyrim too, dunno for how many hours but easily hundreds too.
So glad we aka gaming enthusiasts will have option to play starfield in proper 60fps, on pc, rip xbox only ppl ;D

PeteBull

I think it's only a matter of time until the Xbox console business is completely gone. I'm glad I got my Series X, but I barely turn it on at all (my wife seems to like Ori so maybe she will play it there? other than that who knows?).
Just hold on till holiday 2024, then u can switch to ps5pr0 and enjoy the greatness of true exclusives, for any xbox console exclusives u can always get urself a pc anyways, just sayin xD

Jemm

Or they build gaming pc to play starfield in 60fps(many probably already did), personally i love bethesda rpgs, first time i played it was morrowing on og xbox, spent easily 500h in there and loved all of it, from then on i played fallout 3/4/vegas and ofc skyrim too, dunno for how many hours but easily hundreds too.
So glad we aka gaming enthusiasts will have option to play starfield in proper 60fps, on pc, rip xbox only ppl ;D
True, some of them will probably move to the PC.

I don't think Microsoft cares, as long as they buy it (or game pass it) for PC or Xbox.

I think Xbox must be profitable, not sure if just profitable or a lot of profit.
Papa MS wouldn't give his little girl a Pony 69bn Activision if there was no profit in it.
I can't remember Xbox posted a loss for the year, since the 360 era.
I think people need to release you don't have to be number one in hardware sales to post a profit.

I enjoyed the OG Xbox era the best when Xbox was losing millions each year, so what do I know?

Astray

Gold Member
Just hold on till holiday 2024, then u can switch to ps5pr0 and enjoy the greatness of true exclusives, for any xbox console exclusives u can always get urself a pc anyways, just sayin xD
Not having a pro version on its own is another sign of the console business being wound down imo. ActiBlizz would likely complete the transition to a true software and subs company.

They will likely keep xCloud running and try to grow that into a sub model on your devices ala Netflix + 3P publishing biz for PC/Nintendo/Sony/Whoever and it will likely be a far more profitable path for them.

I think Xbox must be profitable, not sure if just profitable or a lot of profit.
Papa MS wouldn't give his little girl a Pony 69bn Activision if there was no profit in it.
There's no profit in Xbox as a strict console ecosystem (in fact, MS's entire gaming division likely doesn't make a profit right now), otherwise they would be announcing it even if it's small, a win like that would definitely be used as a PR point in their earnings calls (just like we always used to hear about the series console sales in the beginning of this gen), instead we're getting stuff about hours played without any actual growth in $$$ received by the biz vs last year.

The reason they are getting a 69bn warchest is because even if they pull out of the console game, ActiBlizz will still grant them great power as a 3rd party publisher, especially if they want Sony and Nintendo to accept gamepass being a thing on their ecosystems.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can you share data to back up your "facts?"

I didn't claim anything; you did. It's on you to provide sources.

To recap ... You said "Xbox is now profitable than X360" gen and "it's been mainly profits each quarter"

I'm still waiting for data that backs up your claim. Take a break from calling others "troll" and share the sources and numbers.
So that's a no then....

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Top Bottom