• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox FY23 Q4 gaming revenue increased 1% year-over-year (HW down 13%)

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I didn't claim anything; you did. It's on you to provide sources.

To recap ... You said "Xbox is now profitable than X360" gen and "it's been mainly profits each quarter"

I'm still waiting for data that backs up your claim. Take a break from calling others "troll" and share the sources and numbers.
Mate we dont do xbox numbers here.. we dont need it .. we have Phil Spencer words .. thats enough!

Ar¢tos

Not having a pro version on its own is another sign of the console business being wound down imo. ActiBlizz would likely complete the transition to a true software and subs company.

They will likely keep xCloud running and try to grow that into a sub model on your devices ala Netflix + 3P publishing biz for PC/Nintendo/Sony/Whoever and it will likely be a far more profitable path for them.

There's no profit in Xbox as a strict console ecosystem (in fact, MS's entire gaming division likely doesn't make a profit right now), otherwise they would be announcing it even if it's small, a win like that would definitely be used as a PR point in their earnings calls (just like we always used to hear about the series console sales in the beginning of this gen), instead we're getting stuff about hours played without any actual growth in $$$ received by the biz vs last year.

The reason they are getting a 69bn warchest is because even if they pull out of the console game, ActiBlizz will still grant them great power as a 3rd party publisher, especially if they want Sony and Nintendo to accept gamepass being a thing on their ecosystems.
Considering how the sales are down, that they are selling xboxs at a loss and how the market is moving to GAAS games (where they can't skip Playstation because of distributed player bases among tons of similar ganes), it is likely that the ATK acquisition might mean the end of Xbox hardware if they don't pick up numbers in a couple of years.

Instead of buying Sega, they'll become Sega.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah, and that's fine to say, "I don't have any numbers; I misspoke that they have been posting profits every quarter."

But no ... the ego and the refusal to accept a mistake must always come in between the truth.
If someone still trully believes that phil spencer words (lies) are the gospel truth they cant also believe in being wrong about something he said it ... I think you are fighting a lost battle against people that dont have common sense and objective thoughts at this point

Last edited:
Haven't seen this one posted here

Also this one

Did Microsoft really just try pointing to third party games as a reason for Xbox division's underperformance for this past quarter? Like, was Phil expecting that pile of crap Gollum game to be some sort of GOTY contender? The only award that horrible Gollum game is ever going to get is whatever Geoff Keighley's equivalent is for the Golden Raspberry award. This past quarter we've had Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6, Dead Island 2, and Star Wars Jedi Survivor among others released in that time period, so Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves for conditioning their own console base to not buy games day 1 anymore with their current strategy.

Not to go all
rk8y28l.jpg

But I think the single largest contributor to this is indeed their PC strategy. There's simply no pull factor towards the console when you get everything it offers and a lot more on PC. It's possible that might be exactly what they want but considering considering the games are primarily consumed via other storefronts I'm not entirely convinced that's the case.

I think the whole day and date commitments they've made both in regards to PC releases and Gamepass might prove to be some of the biggest strategic mistakes in Xboxs history, because it would be very painful to unwind it.

Dane

Not to go all
rk8y28l.jpg

But I think the single largest contributor to this is indeed their PC strategy. There's simply no pull factor towards the console when you get everything it offers and a lot more on PC. It's possible that might be exactly what they want but considering considering the games are primarily consumed via other storefronts I'm not entirely convinced that's the case.

I think the whole day and date commitments they've made both in regards to PC releases and Gamepass might prove to be some of the biggest strategic mistakes in Xboxs history, because it would be very painful to unwind it.
Are we still in that "PC day one is bad" argument?

Dane

I guess I just don't many upsides outside of only having one single market push.
Outside of that I can only see downsides, but please enlighten me.
Top selling games on Steam, positive reception from players who always tought they should have been supportive of their own platform, PC Gamers weren't buying a console regardless, worst case scenario was during the "PC Gaming" drought from 2005 to 2011 where many developers were refusing to port to PC due to piracy.

skit_data

Top selling games on Steam, positive reception from players who always tought they should have been supportive of their own platform, PC Gamers weren't buying a console regardless, worst case scenario was during the "PC Gaming" drought from 2005 to 2011 where many developers were refusing to port to PC due to piracy.
I don't see anything in this that is tied specifically to day 1 release, all those things can be accomplished with a staggered release.

Dane

I don't see anything in this that is tied specifically to day 1 release, all those things can be accomplished with a staggered release.
Why do a staggered release when they are not buying your hardware regardless? Is that hard to understand that people might console a console for affordability and simplicity than paying out 3x+ the price for a gaming PC?

Vox Machina

Banned

Why would I, as the consumer, want that at all? It's up to Xbox to make the numbers work, but speaking as a PC-only gamer I spend a LOT more money on Xbox games than I did before they made that move.

Ansphn

Microsoft needs to pull the plug on Xbox hardware and go full 3rd party. I guarantee they will make way more money than they do now. I think they will when they start to see the profit from Playstation from COD. Why go back to losing money on hardware when you can make money hand over fist from Halo, Gears and Forza on PlayStation and Nintendo?

Zones

You mean when SONY PS2 outsold the Xbox, GameCube and Dreamcast combined by a massive amount, was able to top of the tree for the number of In-Hosue studios and was having 3rd parties make endless exclusives for the system.

* I like the days of now to be honest. Where Xbox now has the most In-House studios and is able to outbid and outspend SONY

* Maybe not be entirely true ....
Sounds like someone who has been on antidepressants for the entire past decade.

Hope you are feeling better knowing Microsoft is now outspending Sony on acquiring masterpieces like Candy Crush.

yazenov

The Xbox is more profitable than it has ever been in the 360 era. It sadness me that a person with SEGA in their title is such a SONY troll

Pro-tip; MS doesn't disclose profits for the gaming division in their financials so nobody knows if they are profitable or not. You're mixing up revenue with profit.

MS hides unit sales, software, and now Game Pass subscribers for a number of reasons. I guess shame is one of them.

Last edited:
Microsoft needs to pull the plug on Xbox hardware and go full 3rd party. I guarantee they will make way more money than they do now. I think they will when they start to see the profit from Playstation from COD. Why go back to losing money on hardware when you can make money hand over fist from Halo, Gears and Forza on PlayStation and Nintendo?
I wonder what is MS motivation do keep selling consoles today. Are they doing to not let Sony dominate the living room just like in 2001 when they released the first Xbox?
Are they looking for maximum profits?

Ansphn

I wonder what is MS motivation do keep selling consoles today. Are they doing to not let Sony dominate the living room just like in 2001 when they released the first Xbox?
Probably ego? Cause it makes no sense to be losing money for decades on hardware when your strength has always been software. They will make way more money from 3rd party partnership and getting their games everywhere. Let the 3rd parties make game for them and release all their games everywhere.

Unknown?

I remember Sony being in the red for years as well and selling buildings. People seem to forget I guess.
Their product didn't get worse as they got back in the black though. I just thought it was funny that he thinks X1 and Series turning a profit matters to a gamer when that profit has made the product worse.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah, Bethesda games sell great when they are multi platform. We will see how Starfield does, given it’s locked to a platform that isn’t really doing that well.
Again, wasn't really the point.

They have mass appeal, the fact they had massive sales when on Playstation indicates that appeal will likely result in some Xbox sales.

Nobody expects a game on 1 platform that has Gamepass on it to actually have high sales numbers.

It'll be played by millions of people; many will be 1st time gamepass subs, many will be first time Xbox buyers.

How big those numbers are is a question, but XBox 1st party games just aren't going to compete with other big games on "sales" due to Gamepass.

IntentionalPun

What happens to Activision’s cash on hand if the deal closes? I’m just assuming they must have some.

The money goes to Ms, basically the 69 billion take that in account

My understanding is that part of the extension deal is that the money might go to ABK shareholders. There are 2 dates, one is the overall "MUST CLOSE OR PAY $5 BILLION" date the other is basically a "IF YOU CLOSE BUT ITS AFTER X DATE, ABK SHAREHOLDERS GET ALL CASH ON HAND".

Basically every ABK shareholder might get around $1 per share is my understanding, paid out by the cash on hand.

Gorgon

Starfield sales will be disastrous wont they ? How many fellow xbox gaffers will purchase the game instead of playing it on Gamepass ?

Not sure. I may just pay a month or two of GP to play it and then unsub GP again. I may buy it when it goes on sale for 20 bucks or so.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because it's a PR nightmare to back down now.

I think they really thought that Xbox Series consoles will outsell PlayStation or, at least, make a very serious dent in Sony's marketshare. Phil Spencer talked to IGN about "having a plan for console sales" (spoiler: it was the Series S plan that backfired lol) and they announced Bethesda's acquisition a day before pre-orders opened.

None of their plans worked, and they are now stuck with this generation of consoles. This is also I think why they are unlikely to release a Pro console now.

Summary: They thought they'd win, so they released next-gen consoles. Their plans backfired, and now they're stuck with their loss-leading consoles, which they can't abandon mid-generation without a PR nightmare.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Considering how the sales are down, that they are selling xboxs at a loss and how the market is moving to GAAS games (where they can't skip Playstation because of distributed player bases among tons of similar ganes), it is likely that the ATK acquisition might mean the end of Xbox hardware if they don't pick up numbers in a couple of years.

Instead of buying Sega, they'll become Sega.
Unless investors force them to pull the plug on Xbox hardware, it's not going anywhere. Video game Hardware is a drop in the bucket for a $2.4 Trillion company, and so long as the division stays even slightly positive, nobody will care.

Gorgon

Because it's a PR nightmare to back down now.

I think they really thought that Xbox Series consoles will outsell PlayStation or, at least, make a very serious dent in Sony's marketshare. Phil Spencer talked to IGN about "having a plan for console sales" (spoiler: it was the Series S plan that backfired lol) and they announced Bethesda's acquisition a day before pre-orders opened.

None of their plans worked, and they are now stuck with this generation of consoles. This is also I think why they are unlikely to release a Pro console now.

Summary: They thought they'd win, so they released next-gen consoles. Their plans backfired, and now they're stuck with their loss-leading consoles, which they can't abandon mid-generation without a PR nightmare.

I think that MS will still go for another generation of consoles in 2028 or so. After that it's impossible to predict.

But I do agree that MS doesn't give two shits about that piece of plastic in the living room. This is about dominating the market through subscription services, streaming services, etc.

cebri.one

Are they sharing net income numbers or they are still hidding that division losses millions every quarter? Imagine being Phil Spencer, thinking you are the shit, when you are litterally being subsidized by Office365.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Would it be shocking at all if ps plus premium numbers dwarfed game pass ultimate numbers? Even with the worse service it would shock me if it wasn’t close.

Today the services are at worst comparable. Sony's big titles, albeit late, are far superior to Microsoft's recent exclusives. And the third party titles are about similar quality.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think that MS will still go for another generation of consoles in 2028 or so. After that it's impossible to predict.

But I do agree that MS doesn't give two shits about that piece of plastic in the living room. This is about dominating the market through subscription services, streaming services, etc.
After ABK, yeah they will likely give it another try.

Why? If they can afford a top of the line PC, a console would be like nothing to them. Gamers with money don't need to pick and choose, they just get what they want.

So you must be a shareholder?
If you have a high performance PC you wouldn’t play any 3rd party on console and it probably wouldn’t be the place you buy microtransactions in games either

It would legit just be an exclusive machine to them, so at that point why wouldn’t you just sell them the game? To tick a hardware count up slightly? They won’t be buying anything else on the hardware they have a PC for that.

Darsxx82

What happens to Activision’s cash on hand if the deal closes? I’m just assuming they must have some.
Goes to the MS wallet. The purchase price/value of ABK includes the cash.

There are many motivations

1- Xbox is one of the brands with the most value and worldwide recognition of MS. Almost a symbol for MS. Its maintenance cost is negligible within the general MS business. There is no urgent financial need for MS to decide to end a symbolic product and brand.

2- The appreciation of the console business among the leaders of XBoX and also Nadella who continue to see potential.

3- Xbox console is still the main revenue generator in software, microtransactions and subscriptions (also future xcloud). It is an environment that is the main channel for new users to the ecosystem. In the current situation, for MS to dispense with the console business is little less than idiocy.

3- Today MS is in an excellent position as a first party (if ABK is produced, incontestably) to be able to supply its own console like never before. Closing the console business now would not make sense. Not to mention that it has PC (and PS and Switch/Nin many times) as an equally priority platform to compensate and amortize first party developments.

I think that reality tends to be mixed with desires. It is true that surely P. Spencer would like another situation in terms of XSeries sales, but I have no doubt that he assumes that his forecasts in terms of first releases have not been as desired and he will be waiting for the fruits of the huge number of first Studios that has accumulated can be reflected in an improvement in the sales of XSeries this generation and the potential of the next generation of consoles.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Again, wasn't really the point.

They have mass appeal, the fact they had massive sales when on Playstation indicates that appeal will likely result in some Xbox sales.

Nobody expects a game on 1 platform that has Gamepass on it to actually have high sales numbers.

It'll be played by millions of people; many will be 1st time gamepass subs, many will be first time Xbox buyers.

How big those numbers are is a question, but XBox 1st party games just aren't going to compete with other big games on "sales" due to Gamepass.

If it wasn't the point why were you comparing it with Elden Ring then? You are the one who brought sales to the conversation.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I remember Sony being in the red for years as well and selling buildings. People seem to forget I guess.
When you realize most of that happened during the PS3 era, and the beginning of the PS4 era...maybe you will understand the point some are making about Xbox profits.

....MS literally doesn't share it any more...if they ever did at all...

Both PS3 and the 360 lost each company billions. Only one actually post numbers about profits tho.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

If it wasn't the point why were you comparing it with Elden Ring then? You are the one who brought sales to the conversation.

I was replying to someone who claimed Starfield wouldn't be a game that has wide appeal, nor would it sell consoles.

I brought up 2 things to say that seems like an odd statement:
- Bethesda RPGs have absolutely had wide / casual appeal in the past, indicated by their sales numbers
- While we don't have a recent example of one, since it's been so long, we know the genre is healthy from games like ER

OBVIOUSLY should go w/o saying you can't have a regular "sales" conversation with Xbox 1st party anymore though.

Gorgon

Goes to the MS wallet. The purchase price/value of ABK includes the cash.

There are many motivations

1- Xbox is one of the brands with the most value and worldwide recognition of MS. Almost a symbol for MS. Its maintenance cost is negligible within the general MS business. There is no urgent financial need for MS to decide to end a symbolic product and brand.

2- The appreciation of the console business among the leaders of XBoX and also Nadella who continue to see potential.

3- Xbox console is still the main revenue generator in software, microtransactions and subscriptions (also future xcloud). It is an environment that is the main channel for new users to the ecosystem. In the current situation, for MS to dispense with the console business is little less than idiocy.

3- Today MS is in an excellent position as a first party (if ABK is produced, incontestably) to be able to supply its own console like never before. Closing the console business now would not make sense. Not to mention that it has PC (and PS and Switch/Nin many times) as an equally priority platform to compensate and amortize first party developments.

I think that reality tends to be mixed with desires. It is true that surely P. Spencer would like another situation in terms of XSeries sales, but I have no doubt that he assumes that his forecasts in terms of first releases have not been as desired and he will be waiting for the fruits of the huge number of first Studios that has accumulated can be reflected in an improvement in the sales of XSeries this generation and the potential of the next generation of consoles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt MS' gaming division makes more revenue than Windows and MS Office.

IntentionalPun

Starfield sales will be disastrous wont they ? How many fellow xbox gaffers will purchase the game instead of playing it on Gamepass ?

I'll be buying the game on Steam because I'll probably play Starfield off and on for like 20 years lol.

My wife bought the game already on Xbox, for the same reason.

Gamepass model just doesn't work for me personally, I only play a few games a year across PC and console (but I play the shit out of those games lol). I like highly replayable / longer games.

onQ123

Not to go all
rk8y28l.jpg

Top Bottom