• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is removing the giant Xbox Series X badge.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Step in the right direction, the spamming worked. As for the next phase, please, spam them with these designs:

SkhNonp.jpg

Xbox-Series-X-Box-Art-Game-Microsoft-XSX-New-Concept-Art-Design.jpg
That's cheating, they look clean because none of the required ugly age-rating logo's.

Last edited:
Step in the right direction, the spamming worked. As for the next phase, please, spam them with these designs:

SkhNonp.jpg

These are much cleaner and much less intrusive. The original is so big and bulky, its just not designed well. The funny thing is I bet something similar to the above was proposed initially, but was deemed "too subtle." The main feedback was probably something like "make it POP more" "I want to be able to see it immediately. I want it to stand out" and the giant badge is what it ended up being, much to the dismay of the graphic designer :messenger_tears_of_joy: I feel his/her pain :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:
Good, it was a dumb thing to put on the box anyway. If a game releases for a console you assume its gonna be optimized for it. 99% of games were gonna have this badge on the front.

ZywyPL

Banned
IMO the "optimized for" should be placed on that black bar on top, along with 4K, HDR etc. But then again, which XBX won't get the "optimized for" badge? Kind of ruins the whole purpose, no?

They could've just made the badge smaller and put it near around the top label where the Xbox name is at.

As-is from the front it looks no different from an XBO game case and you want something to cue a viewer IMMEDIATELY that it's something different. The badge did that to an extent. Now there's virtually no visual distinction so what if some people don't even bother to pick the game up because they think it's for XBO and not Series X?

Something there still needs to be emphasized on the front of the case to make 'Series X' stand out and hook the viewer in on first glance to go "Ah, cool! A new game for my Series X.". Basically, they still need to work on the case design.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Wait, so people complained over this? You guys are weird.
Um. Yes? I don’t want that stupidly obnoxious badge taking up 1/10th of the box art. Looks much cleaner without it.
They could've just made the badge smaller and put it near around the top label where the Xbox name is at.
Technically they didn’t need to make it at all. At the top of the box there’s that banner that says ‘xbox one and xbox series X’ that’s literally all they need. If a game is designed around xbox series x of course it’s going to be optimized for it.

what they should do is put the info on the back ala PS4 games where it says pro-enhanced and maybe give a list of differences between xbox one and XSX.

LucidFlux

This reminds me of when sales trys to lead a marketing campaign. It's all too familiar. They show up with their mockups of the collateral, shoving each and every feature and buzzword onto the banner/flyer/video or whatever.

The reality here is that less is more and you just muddy your messaging when you try to appeal to each and every facet. They completely obfuscated the cover art so I'm glad to see they are stepping back on this. Hopefully they move the rest of the jargon to the back as well.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Good move on their part. They're already letting you know it works on Xbox Series X by having on the box so the giant badge is pointless.

Technically they didn’t need to make it at all. At the top of the box there’s that banner that says ‘xbox one and xbox series X’ that’s literally all they need. If a game is designed around xbox series x of course it’s going to be optimized for it.

Yeah I see the text there of what you're mentioning. My issue though is it doesn't stand out enough visually. You can make something stand out while still staying visually cohesive with the rest of the design. I'd like to think MS would prefer to signal to the customer "There's this new system called Series X you can play the game on, and the fact we've made it stand out here on the cover should hint to you that it might be the preferred way to play, even if you can also play a lesser version on your XBO or One X."

Because yes a sale of the game's a sale of the game so long as it's in their ecosystem, but I think they'd also like for as many people to purchase a new Series X (thus at least breaking even on production of that unit if not making a tiny bit of profit on top) alongside that game. Especially if them getting that Series X and playing the game there convinces them to buy more games they would have not considered doing if they were to just buy the XBO or One X version 🤷‍♂️

SkhNonp.jpg

Why are these companies not hiring these graphics designers? They do way better mock-ups than what the official stuff ends up looking like and they work on a fraction of a budget (or do it for free as a hobby). It would not even be costly to implement these superior case designs.

Last edited:
Was it really that much of a big deal to people? How much time is going to be spent looking at box art? I guess now we hang the box arts proudly amongst our family portraits instead of hiding them in shame because they are so damn ugly.

mortal

Good.

Who's genius idea was it to slap that eyesore on the front?

SkhNonp.jpg

Damn these are :messenger_ok::messenger_ok::messenger_ok:

Love the corner one. Might do some custom cover art.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
These are much cleaner and much less intrusive. The original is so big and bulky, its just not designed well.

They need to sell crossgen for a couple years so if I were to guess that branding was supposed to help carry the water, so to speak. That's why it was big, bulky and bold. It's the first time in recent years someone attempts this multi-console approach so they were probably worried about customers being confused wether the games they are buying are for xbox one or xbox series x or xbox one x or... you get the idea.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I wonder who comes up with these stupid decisions in the first place. The marketing people should get fired.

Last edited:

the_master

Weird. This removes series x visibility.
Games just look like xbone, the xsex was giving a feel of somehow next gen.
I guess that halo infinite will simply be an xbone game then.

TLZ

Banned
That's good. There's no need for it imo. The labelling on the top left is enough to tell people on which device this plays, and it should be obvious it'll play better on the SX.

Birdo

Banned
There seems to be extra unused space on the black bar where it says "Xbox Series X - Xbox One".

Leaving room for "Series S" :unsure:

Justin9mm

SkhNonp.jpg

Whoever designed these should get a job in their design team.. These are honestly really sexy looking box arts

Cool but i have not bought a physical game in over 2 years and have no plans on buying physical ever again digital is the fututre better for the trees and environment too.

Banned

SkhNonp.jpg

I want both that boxart on the top, and that exact setting for Horizon 5... although he misspelled ホライゾン as ホライズン

MICROSOFT PLEASE!

rapid32.5

Good move, now change game case color to make it clear it’s next Xbox generation. You can still keep green if you want.

Last edited:

Shmunter

What about Velocity Architecture?

Jokes aside, seems MS is moving even further towards embracing Xbox as the platform and minimising focus on the new hardware. Damn they suck so bad and yes I’m pissed off by what they are doing to gaming for enthusiasts like me.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
I think the box art design is kind of confusing. It just says Xbox on top and smaller Xbox series x - Xbox one under.
This is like WiiU all over again.

Top Bottom