• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is removing the giant Xbox Series X badge.

"Optimized or Best on Series X" should still be in the front of the box in some form. It's good marketing. Just not that big and ugly hexagon taking away so much space from the game art. At the same time "big" attracts eyes. Trade-offs.

Last edited:
Did Xbox do this because some people on forum complained about it?

If so that's worrying. It shows they lack vision and confidence in their own products and ideas and a forum or enthusiast board is the last place you want to get feedback.

Show some confidence in your products Xbox.

Personally I think all game packaging should have the information like this printed on a secondary slide-in that can be removed and have an uncluttered version of the cover art for people that still want to keep physical collections.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Did Xbox do this because some people on forum complained about it?

If so that's worrying. It shows they lack vision and confidence in their own products and ideas and a forum or enthusiast board is the last place you want to get feedback.

Show some confidence in your products Xbox.
It means they listen to their fans, consumers, and internal marketing team. Don't worry it's not because of some fanboys on neogaf

Last edited by a moderator:

Knightime_X

This should be the new badge:

6647iae.png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It means they listen to their fans, consumers, and internal marketing team. Don't worry it's not because of some fanboys on neogaf

That was not his point. They presumably prepare their marketing campaign well in advance and that includes the games’ box art and how to migrate users to the new console or not and how to do cross generation games or not.

To change the box art so close to launch is a positive as they listen to fans, but also a sign of things going wrong as either they incompetently designed the box art without clearing it with acquisition and retention marketing and brand teams at all or they are changing things now because of backlash they did not foresee and they are sacrificing visibility of the “optimised for SeriesX for real” sticker which was their way to indicate that you were getting more than just a game that ran in BC mode on XSX.

Last edited:

BigLee74

People actually complained about this? 😂😂 Why would anybody care? Most games are bought digitally, and even if not, you don't stack the boxes in a way they'd be shown.

Its not as if they line the hallway alongside photos of your kids, huh?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I still don't understand what the badge is for, lol. So I'm okay with it going away.

I mean, I feel like if I'm buying a Series X game, in a Series X case, I can rest assured it's optimized for Series X.

kuncol02

Banned
I still don't understand what the badge is for, lol. So I'm okay with it going away.

I mean, I feel like if I'm buying a Series X game, in a Series X case, I can rest assured it's optimized for Series X.
It's XBox one game in Xbox one case. Optimized games are prety much remasters from current generation but not sold separately.

Sometimes I wonder if Xbox team has like a Quality control or focus group team to review stuff before it is made public
Sometimes I wonder if Xbox team has like a Quality control or focus group team to review stuff before it is made public
Microsoft had always, ALWAYS, failed at Marketing. The company is dependent on software sold to buisnesses, which barely require marketing or advertising. Sell to the masses was never their strong point.

It is my opinion that the Marketing department of Microsoft are barely competent at their jobs, and the only reason they are still employed is because most of their core business basically run themselves. Only when it comes to the smaller Divisions, like with Xbox, do the Marketing have the chance to show how stupid they are.

Top Bottom