• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox likely to win next gen after PS5 reveal shows Series X is significantly more powerful and doesn't have anti-consumer policies.

Will you buy XSX or PS5 first after the PS5 low power, anti-consumer reveal?

• I will buy Series X first because it has power, games from new studios, and pro-consumer policies

Votes: 138 29.3%
  • I will still buy PS5 first. The anti-consumer policies and low power are not important to me.

Votes: 320 67.9%
  • Voost Kain was right again!!!

Votes: 13 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We already have had many threads showing people here are concerned about Sony's anti-consumer policies, only really looking forward to the PS5 for Sony staples, but that was put into question when MS brought out several studios and increased development efforts on their new console attracting third-parties away from Sony slowly overtime.

Now the news has come out that not only will the PS5 be weaker than the Xbox Series X but it's a landslide victory across the board. Here are the PS5 specs

GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2. Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit. Memory Bandwith: 448GB/s.

This is horrifying for Sony, they only put out this rushed conference in response to the Series X reveal to try to soften the bad press they would get. But as it turns out they may have grossly miscalculated.

Will you still buy a PS5 first even though it will be significantly weaker and filled with anti-consumer policies like censorship etc?

Which anti-consumer policies?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I will buy a ps5 or xbox based on games obviously. If MS finally uses Rare right, with Banjo Kazooie 3 Im in.

Romulus

The PS5 wont be at 10.2 when anything pushed the machine, even Cerny himself said that. It will be at 9 something most of the time. Plus cpu faster on XSX, ram faster on XSX. PS5 has twice as fast SSD though so 5 secs loading on PS5 will take 10 or 11 secs on XSX. I know this is going to be pushed into a huge thing, as its the only thing to hold onto now, but its literally a few seconds we are talking here.

The bandwidth is close though and I don't see that CPU boost doing much at all when pushing high fidelity games.

I mean ps4 was 40% more powerful and most everything was a 900p vs 1080p situation. Not huge in most cases despite attempts to make it that way.I just see ps5 hovering at lower resolutions on the dynamic scaler, that's it.

dEvAnGeL

If only people had the passion for washing their hands as they do creating dumb threads and supporting corporations.

Arkage

Banned
You and your "Sony is anti-consumer" brigade:

giphy.gif

Also, where is the "I will buy whichever console comes out first" option in the poll?

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 day one.

I hope it is $399.

BTW there is no reasonable option in the poll.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm surprised Voost can drag himself away from his Stadia to post a thread like this. :)

If the PS5 turns out to be significantly less powerful in practice maybe it'll be reason for them to lighten up on all those imaginary sony-specific anti-consumer policies.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
PS2 wasn't the most powerful and it won. Close thread.

The XSX is promising but it doesn't win anything by default. It does not work like that.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
We already have had many threads showing people here are concerned about Sony's anti-consumer policies, only really looking forward to the PS5 for Sony staples, but that was put into question when MS brought out several studios and increased development efforts on their new console attracting third-parties away from Sony slowly overtime.

Now the news has come out that not only will the PS5 be weaker than the Xbox Series X but it's a landslide victory across the board. Here are the PS5 specs

GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2. Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit. Memory Bandwith: 448GB/s.

This is horrifying for Sony, they only put out this rushed conference in response to the Series X reveal to try to soften the bad press they would get. But as it turns out they may have grossly miscalculated.

Will you still buy a PS5 first even though it will be significantly weaker and filled with anti-consumer policies like censorship etc?
PS5 still on top judging by the current votes lol

Psykodad

Banned
Honestly, right now the PS5 is underwhelming.

But the situation is interesting as well, purely for the fact of the possible existence of Series X, which is rumored to be 6Tf.

So, rn we have:
XSX at 12 Tf
PS5 at 9-10Tf

Giving XSX the power advantage and PS5 likely the price advantage.

Now the game really begins, because does the Series S exist?

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Nobody cares about teraflops, nobody. Not a single person is going to the store and buying a console because one has more flops than the other. They buy a console because it has better games, or because that's what their friends play on.
You can spin better, I'm sure. Say your favourite game of this year is on GameCube for example.

Neff

Xbox will have to show a Herculean effort to get me to re-join that family. I'm lukewarm on the way Microsoft approaches gaming, and I hate the XB1 UI with a passion. I prefer the way PlayStation does things.

That said, I'm not buying either until must-have games show up.

I don't think people realize that the performance won't be really that noticeable at all when comparing both side by side.

This. The performance for both will be so astronomically high that it will be incredibly hard (and hugely expensive) for developers to realistically push palpable limits.

Last edited:
The PS5 wont be at 10.2 when anything pushed the machine, even Cerny himself said that. It will be at 9 something most of the time

He actually said the opposite regarding 2.23ghz:

"We expect the GPU spend at or close to that frequency & performance. When the worst case scenerio game arrives, it will run at a lower clockspeed. Not to much lower. To reduce power at 10% it will only take a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I expect any downlocking to be pretty minor."

Plus cpu faster on XSX

Definitely.

Plus cpu faster on XSX, ram faster on XSX. PS5 has twice as fast SSD though so 5 secs loading on PS5 will take 10 or 11 secs on XSX. I know this is going to be pushed into a huge thing, as its the only thing to hold onto now, but its literally a few seconds we are talking here.

This will be interesting because Series X will only have 10GB dedicated to the GPU with the rest split into a slower speed (slower than PS5). Overall the PS5 ram is slower but all 16GB will be available for the devs choosing. Still an advantage for the X but we don't know how much yet.

PS5 has twice as fast SSD though so 5 secs loading on PS5 will take 10 or 11 secs on XSX. I know this is going to be pushed into a huge thing, as its the only thing to hold onto now, but its literally a few seconds we are talking here.

We just don't know at this point because mandatory SSD's for consoles are new. You could very well be right but we don't know the design direction third parties will go. Are we talking about faster loading screens or no loading screens at all? How will it all work with texture & asset loading? On paper the difference is big but in practice, who knows.

This is not me spinning here as the Series X clearly has a power advantage but I don't think too obvious yet how big it is. I think the bigger story here is Sony doing a major fuck up with BC. How can they cap their CU count at 36 (same as Pro) and still have only 100 games benefit from boost mode? MS killed it with their BC solution.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah, that’s why people jumped from 360 to PS4 at the start of the gen, 👌

Short term memories round here.
They probably got tired of the red rings of death. Not to mention the always online bs. The higher price point for the xbox but yeah it was all about the slightly better specs of the ps4 lol

Here's the reality, and I day this as somebody who prefers the xbox brand, Sony is still going to outsell the xbox. Regardless of price or performance the Playstation will still be the better seller. The reason is simple... Sony has a larger base worldwide. MS primarily catered to the US and Britain and I expect the will do the same this generation, hence they will sell less.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did your internet crap out for the first 4 years of this gen?

Have you forgotten about the entire history of console videogames? The most powerful console rarely wins. Other facts are are much more important than computing power. I would bet that less than 10% of PS4 owners these days know what a teraflop is, or how many it has.

You can spin better, I'm sure. Say your favourite game of this year is on GameCube for example.

I have no dog in this fight, as I plan to stick with PC for now. Point is nothing was lost or won today, it will come down to price, services, and games.

I will not buy any console that is not a true generational leap. For the PS5 to be a true generational leap it would need to have 12.88TF. It didn't even come close.

Kokoloko85

Whats with all these 2 question threads with 2 choices determine what console to buy and the choice is always negative for PS5....
How about I’ll buy the console that has good games which means... not xbox :p
Microsoft minions at work Lol

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd like to see the alternate reality where the ps5 had better specs just to compare the meltdowns and cock waving lol.

Kagero

Doesn't change a thing. Sony first party is all that matters. They are going to make the PS5 sing. I'm willing to bet that despite the power differences (not even much) The PS5 will have the best looking games.

Paperboy

Power doesn't matter when the developers have to match the performance between the two consoles to keep the development costs at a minimum. :messenger_winking:

On a more serious note, it would honestly not surprise me if the coming Xbox is going to be up to $200 more expensive than the Playstation. Because it's Microsoft's premium model and they said a cheaper Xbox is coming later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom