• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Durante

My favorite part of the whole mess is that Major Nelson said "hey guys, we're listening."

So they listened, and still decided to say "no, fuck all of you."
"We are listening, and formulating our response so as to maximally confuse and/or sugarcoat any hot-button issues."

I'm not feeling the benefits outweigh the bad. I don't care about TV, family doesn't play games, and no interest in Kinect. To me that means I would get just all the bad and I currently have no interest in the console.

Needing a publishers permission to sell back a game even in some weird controlled fashion is a huge red flag as well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
pinging a server once every 24 hours isn't so bad, not like you need a fast connection. Also says you can use mobile broadband. Also the family features are nice, sounds like they don't need to be on the same local connection to share. Favorite part though is this:
Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.
goodbye discs! nice knowing you!

PhatSaqs

Banned
I like the family shit. Now me and my son don't have to buy two copies of CoD to play online. Good shit.

Also, hooray to day one DD. Will never buy another disc.

So the whole "participating retailers" part is basically how they're placating Gamestop, huh? Just how big is the used game market on eBay/Amazon right now?

There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

This is the most disgusting, pathetic garbage I've ever seen.

What's the logic behind waiting 30 days?

Yondy604

Banned
Anybody else find it somewhat interesting sony is staying VERY quiet about their privacy changes?.

Maybe they have something similar, but our letting microsoft get all the BAD heat.

Portugeezer

iRjk0XSAF5ze3.gif

iammeiam

Ooh and I bet this is Sony's system. Like almost identical.

I can't decide if Sony setting their shit up to match this would be better or worse than leaving it to pubs. Since pubs might just opt to not provide their own resale methods if Sony doesn't, and could make their games essentially single use.

kuroshiki

How can anyone OK with this?

To those who are OK with this, you sure you read this right? MS basically show massive middle finger to you consumer and you are 'OK'?

I swear if Sony follows the same shit I'm out. Fuck this shit.

Can someone explain something about the 24 hour authentication. You install your game and it ties it to your account. You need to be online for this. Why can't you then play offline after?

If the disc is then used on another console, it can check against their records and say, nope this is still tied to another console/user, even if you've been offline since the initial install.

jtb

Banned
you could still have rentals, difference is MS and the publishers do the renting

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a DD version of renting to take shape this generation within Microsoft's controlled walled garden. Internet speeds are certainly fast enough for it to be feasible I think.

Zoator

Ooh and I bet this is Sony's system. Like almost identical.

Sony has already stated that you can play games entirely offline. They could still block used games, of course, but they would have to approach it differently than MS if they can't use online checks to know if and when a game is transferred.

Jondoyle123

Neo Member
So it's true.... In a few years time when they cut the servers all your games are worthless and unplayable... fuck that for a laugh! I play games from many a year and choose when to play them!

Exactly.

A lot of my friends are not on my PSN account. Sometimes I don't want certain people knowing where I am or what I'm doing. Despite that, I have lend games to a lot of my friends. Now they have to be on my friend's list for 30 days? Fuck that noise.

Make a new account for each game, and lend the account as well as the game. No waiting period required.

xaosslug

Yeah. The writing is on the wall. I doubt MS will do this without having Sony doing it. They will be giving away too much competitive advantage.

arguments like this are reminding me more and more of 'Sony will charge for online play eventually... MS makes BANK. Sony would not leave all that $$ on the table!' and 8 years later PSN is STILL paywall FREE...

if Sony is restricting USED game and has DRM, Sony employees rallying behind the #NoDRM initiative would be ridiculously counterintuitive... LOL

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

Highlights (lowlights?):

No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

Console Checks in Every 24 hours

Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time

hahahah fuck THAT

Rourkey

And when Sony announce their DRM all the posters throwing their Dolly's out of their prams will say its MS's fault amirite?

Still bad, but not awful. In theory, couldn't your "family" just use your account to "borrow" games from far away? What stops me from putting a Gaffer on my "family" list?

Also, Digital Trading is way easier than disc trading, assuming this can all be done through licenses in the cloud.

So those are two advantages. Does it outweigh the always online check-in, always on Kinect, and a very real possibility that used games will be shut down by publishers? No. But it has advantages.

PopeReal

The careful wording in this document is so evident.

What does participating entail exactly?

Whoever they decide.

What it really means is you can't sell your games on eBay or anything like that. Unless you want to add total strangers to your XBox account, and then wait 30 days.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well, looking at the details nothing really effects me apart from selling used games which I hardly ever do anyway. I can still trade in if I want to so thats cool.

The careful wording in this document is so evident.

What does participating entail exactly?

Probably just Gamestop. This is why the Gamestop CEO or whoever was so amped. They're going to be sitting pretty after all this as they'll be the only avenue of getting used games sold. They have a good reason to be really happy as the EBay/Amazon used game sales will be finished.

None of this stuff affects me. I have in the last 7 years had one day without internet access and I have really cheap internet. Once a day check-in is not a huge deal at all.

This is actually what I've been thinking of the most. We've been focusing on this MS rulebook for weeks and even then some things are still unclear.
How are they going to inform the general public? This is a complete mess. A lot of people are going to buy this system, not having read the small print.

They need to have one of those 50's style cartoon instructions.

"Now slow down little Johnny. You can't just trade in your game to any old store, or just give it to any person. No sir."

Top Bottom