• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Jarek23

Banned
This is worse than I thought it would be.

I never bought Halo 4 because I kind of wanted the series to end at 3. But I've been itching to play it since it got released, avoiding spoilers the best I can. But now it looks like I made the right choice in letting the series end at 3 because I can't see myself supporting these types of business practices with my wallet.

hal9001

Banned
No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

Console Checks in Every 24 hours

Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time

With the addition of kinect being mandatory this just seems so anti consumer.

Cryolemon

Can I play my game, guaranteed, 20 years from now provided that I still have the disc and a working console?

No?

Buh-bye, I'll be taking my $5,000 a year elsewhere (including my yearly gold membership and my Creator's Club membership).

I really hope Sony do something like the creator's club. I can't see it somehow though.

S1kkZ

i loved my xbox and my 360, i love halo, pgr, alan wake, crackdown....
but i can no longer support this company with my money. fuck off ms.

Vyrance

- 24 hour DRM
- 1 hour DRM if not using home console
- No games rentals
- Used games determined by publisher, participating retailers only
- Can lend a game to a friend whom has been on your friends list for at least 30 days, and only once

This summary right here. Not good at all. Horrible.

Fox Mulder

For people who are not reading it properly, basically they confirmed everything that was rumored, It's the worst case scenario.

The only thing that can save this, if there are a TON of GOOD exclusive games that get announced

No, actually it KILLED it

I have no doubts that MS has been opening their purse for exclusives and money hats. Maybe they even launch at an unbeatable subsidized price. The only way they get fools to eat this shit up is with shiny games they can't ignore.

Violater

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, "
KuGsj.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We don't know that at all. How do you know the PS4 doesnt require an online registration every you use a game for the first time? All they've said is you wont need a connection to play it. Their silence indicates they're doing something.

They've said the console can be used completely without an internet connection.

L1NETT

Lol that's ridic. It probably means accounts on the same system.

(How does it know that?)

Yeah it must be the new family plan idea.

So good news for Families I guess, don;t have to buy COD 3 times. Can multiple xbox's work under the same account?

I'm on my phone so I'll type my thoughts in more detail a later... But this actually looks pretty good to me. I know everyone is on a hate train - and I certainly understand the anti consumer uproar.

However, with the exception of maybe the 24 hour check in, this looks very good in other areas. Not as free as we're used to, but certainly better than what I've experienced with Steam/Origin etc. Sharing with 10 friends (and a 2 player limit) is really cool given the digital/cloud element they're going for. I was really only concerned about my wife being able to play games when I'm done. And lending games to one of my close friends. Both of which I can do.

I guess it comes down to publishers now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My favorite part of the whole mess is that Major Nelson said "hey guys, we're listening."

So they listened, and still decided to say "no, fuck all of you."

So soldiers, rural areas, and second world and third world countries got boned. Also again, giving power all to GS. Better get ready for game prices to rise.

Killing Amazon/Ebay gamemarket.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I do like how you can install your games and play them without having to keep inserting and taking out your disc when you want to play another game.

Trying to stay positive!!

There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Ha ha, fuck off.

All the times I buy and sell used games are on eBay and Amazon as well :(

This DRM policy seems perfectly fair.
Glad my brothers can still play my games.

Now let's just see the games...

#dealwithit

I think it is perfectly fine to require a broadband connection.
They are being upfront with it, it isn't like it is hidden.
The XboxOne is a device that constantly uses the internet...
If you don't have stable internet, there are other consoles.

Wow.

The "you can lend your games but only once" is such a ballsy slap in the face. (Unless it means only one friend at a time?)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry, all you who don't have broadband! Guess you're just not important.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean this isn't bad? It pretty much confirmed what we expected.

1. Xbone requires a internet connection. If you don't check in within 24 hours, your system is essentially locked.

2. You can not borrow or rent games.

3. You CAN trade your games to friends but they must be on your friends list and once you trade it, it gets tied to their account. You can only trade the game ONE time.

4. Publishers will have the ability to block you from selling/trading the game.

Just because they worded it differently doesn't make it better.
Yup. I don't like this. Don't like this at all.

Seems plausible. I would hate it.

Main account with "slave" accounts? Would that be possible?

It's not plausible - Microsoft's licensing shit depends entirely on the console's ability to check in every 24 hours - and Sony have already confirmed the PS4 does not have these type of online DRM.

MS made everything we can already do now harder and did away with certain things altogether .
The online part don't effect me but the lending and selling make this a no go for everyone i know .

Well, I'm not surprised that Major Nelson was full of shit when he said that the answers "looked good," but all this is still fairly astonishing.

Toki767

There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

This is the most disgusting, pathetic garbage I've ever seen.

Want to buy my game? Friend me and I can sell it to you 30 days from now!

Chaplain

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

Highlights (lowlights?):

No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

Console Checks in Every 24 hours

Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time

I assume this means GOLD will be required.

jmood88

Remember when so many people praised Sony for giving publishers the choice to block used games? So now Microsoft says that they're doing that and it's a problem. Funny how that works.

I'm used to Steam.

The only thing about Xbox One that is worse than steam is it's 24 hour internet check.

It's still not an ideal future for video games though.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

So I can't borrow any games for a month and once I borrow those games I won't be able to give them back?

Seriously, Microsoft: Fuck you.

lol

They got the leave it up to the publisher thing backwards. You're meant to give them the option to not use drm, not the option to use it to shaft you even harder. So now pubs can stop you from even being able to trade their titles in. Some option.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well played MS, you've never made it easier for Sony to take my money.

Fuck you and your bullshit restrictions. Fuck your paywalls for basic features.

Fuck you.

I'd wait until Sony makes their position absolutely clear before jumping ship.

Top Bottom