• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

jtb

Banned
So soldiers, rural areas, and second world and third world countries got boned. Also again, giving power all to GS. Better get ready for game prices to rise.

Killing Amazon/Ebay gamemarket.

how does this give any power to gamestop or kill amazon? if anything, it strengthens amazon and is one of many nails in GS' coffin

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies

So if I were to go to a friend's house and log in to my account on their console, I can only play for an hour? Why? Why does this have to be so inconvenient? This is like muliple trainwrecks piling up over and over.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait, so actually any console needs to check the cloud every hour, but the owner's games are blocked only after 24 hours of no connection.

I wonder how the family is defined? Probably a Xbone family live account?

Yes, Arthur, please put a positive spin on this bad press.

Tell me how that isn't a positive? If I can share my entire library with 9 other people regardless of where they are (similar to Amazon Prime), how is that a bad thing? Obviously I think Microsoft is leaving something out that will make it more restrictive than it sounds, but as its written its better than anything we've had.

DocSeuss

Yes, absolutely unacceptable.
No private sales, online required... hell, if my ISP has issues, my connection is likely to be 24h+ offline...

I think I'm going to take a step back and do a big writeup of everything gamers were mad about and how it all worked out. Lots to be mad about, but... some really cool things to be excited about as well, I think.

how does this give any power to gamestop or kill amazon? if anything, it strengthens amazon and is one of many nails in GS' coffin

Because Amazon/ebay are simply marketplaces. It's like an open area where I can show up, say "hey, I've got God of War 3 available for sale, who wants it?" and some person can meander over and go "you, sir, I would like to purchase your God of War 3 copy!" and he does, and that's the end of that.

Amazon's not a "participating retailer" in that sense. They are in the "hey, we'll give you a $7 amazon Gift Card for your game that's selling for $50 used right now." Essentially, there's no way for you to sell your own games--you have to needlessly go through a third party (if the publisher even allows you to trade, that is), which generally means you're going to get a CRAPPY trade-in deal.

Essentially, if I spend $60 for a game, play it for two weeks, and decide I really don't want it, and I go to Gamestop/Amazon, they're only going to offer $30-$35 back (in credit only usable on their stores). In a way, I've just rented a game for $25-30 for two weeks, rather than the $2-5 it'd cost me on Redbox or $10-15 a month for Gamefly.

So it's a LOT better if I can sell my game at a price I set and let people buy it at will. Problem is, it's not that great to begin with: after I beat Halo 4, I wanted to sell my copy, but Amazon? They wouldn't let me. They were all "no, uh, you can't list that item, bro, sorry." I had to trade it in and get a crappy price, or go to Gamestop and do the same. But when the prices are down to $40 or so, and the game's been out a while, and there are no restrictions, it's nice to get, y'know, $30 or so on a game (which you can direct deposit into your bank account) rather than $15 of game-only credit.

BigDug13

Fuck this garbage. The only thing making me reconsider would have been if M had made this console powerful. It didn't and it can rightfully fuck of like it always has. Never liked Microsoft and I never will. Win 7 is nice though.

That's really key. If Microsoft had continued to be the most powerful guy on the block like the previous gens, some things could be forgivable. But charged online, limited access restrictions, AND a whopping 33-50% weaker system?

The rules will become more restrictive later on in my opinion, get people on board first and then start salami slicing.
You're probably right, but how could they get any more restrictive?!

Send the boys round and stick a huge padlock the thing, bolt it down and tattoo the serial number into your skull.

jabuseika

We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers.

The careful wording in this document is so evident.

What does participating entail exactly?

EagleEyes

Well its all but certain Sony has the same deal with publishers. There is no way they sell the exact same game on their system without having this method.

jacobs34

It's starting to look like the only reason I would buy an Xbox One is if they prove that they are willing to have generous digital sales. If you want to make your console work like steam, you need to sure that you can have a pricing model similar to steams.

No gaming if you cannot connect to the internet for more than 24 hours

Fuck this garbage and PS4 too if it does same.

Or 60 minutes if you are not signed in on your primary console. (Like at a friends/family member or if you have a second console somewhere). But hey, you can still watch live TV!

dose

Yeh right, I'm out.
Also, they still don't outright say if Kinect *has* to be connected lol. It looks like though.

Facism

so basically, it's one tiny, tiny diamond in a field of shit. The idea of family members being able to access your games on their accounts from anywhere is great. The rest of it, uggghhhhh.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How bad was the original speculation if people think this isn't bad.

Bingo, this is horse shit. I can only pray Sony laughs at MS and keeps everything the same as this gen.

Into

They won't. They have literally zero incentive to do so. Consider this a confirmation that used games are a thing of the past.

This

Why would any publisher just let you do this? They do not want used games, they wont just allow you to do it out of sheer good will

dcx4610

I'm blown away by everyone saying it's better than we thought it would be. It's EXACTLY what we thought it was going to be. There is nothing positive in the FAQ.

* Your family will be able to play all of your games. Really? You mean like every other console prior to the Xbone?

* No renting or loaning games

* Always online confirmed. 24 hour checks to see if you still own the same games.

* You can trade a game but it can only be done once.

Where exactly is the good news?

GetemMa

Can't wait for Sony's conference because at this point it literally does not matter what MS announces at this point. Dead Rising 3, RYSE, Quantum Break, Halo, Titanfall, meh.

I don't care about any of that shit because this is terrible.

Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies

Ahahahaha. Tell me more.
Assholes. Adding insult to injury.

Yawnier

Banned
I can't wait to see the Wal-Mart crowd with this. It's worse than trying to explain to one of these people how to use the App store on their $99 iPhone they are so proud of...

Going to be some great comedy.

It is a confusing way of doing things man, I'm having trouble grasping my head around everything that has to do this whole bullshit system of 24 hour check ins, and how renting, selling, and loaning games will exactly work.

What do you mean this isn't bad? It pretty much confirmed what we expected.

1. Xbone requires a internet connection. If you don't check in within 24 hours, your system is essentially locked.

2. You can not borrow or rent games.

3. You CAN trade your games to friends but they must be on your friends list and once you trade it, it gets tied to their account. You can only trade the game ONE time.

4. Publishers will have the ability to block you from selling/trading the game.

Just because they worded it differently doesn't make it better.

Exactly.

A lot of my friends are not on my PSN account. Sometimes I don't want certain people knowing where I am or what I'm doing. Despite that, I have lend games to a lot of my friends. Now they have to be on my friend's list for 30 days? Fuck that noise.

Rising_Hei

Now hold on guys maybe we're jumping the gun here and we'll get more details after E3 or nearer to the system launch, or maybe a little later, don't want to jump to any crazy conclusions!!!

Customers might see that drop of support as a declaration of intentions

We gamers are not to be taken lighty, Ubisoft's DRM is a proof of this.

Baha

Congrats MS, you've made a console for Scumbag Steve.

scumbag-steve-how-the-internet-meme-became-a-rapper-c4a89606dc.jpg

GameSeeker

Always online and used game DRM confirmed. Neither consumer friendly.

And they missed a key issue on Kinect privacy. Is Kinect used, at anytime or in anyway, to gather information which may be used for advertising purposes by Microsoft or any other 3rd parties?

While I have enjoyed my 360 for several years, I won't be buying a Xbone.

Oh man, I would hate to be a customer service rep for Xbox after this console comes out. The storms of rage would never cease.

What is this bullshit requirement of 30 days on my friends list?

They're not really friends if they've been on my list for <30 days?

Omikaru

Welp, eat shit Microsoft. Definitely not buying your console now.

Guess it all rides on Sony to not disappoint...

Nibiru

Banned
Well that's that no Xbone for me.

Can trade a game once lol. Can only sell to retailers.

Such bad ideas but there are plenty that will never see these details and because there was so much obfuscation online with mixed messages from MS the truth will get lost in all of it. Well played MS.

Never mind all the games they plan to have that utilize cloud like Simcity did so one day those servers get shut down and those games become unplayable. There will be no retro gaming in the future unless you redownload these games as dlc on future consoles.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

Escape hatch!

Top Bottom